PDA

View Full Version : Game Mass Effect Trilogy

Tyreek
Sep 27, 2012, 06:18 AM
This was quite a shocker, but it seems my dream has been realized at last.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/about/trilogy/

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/466419_366780390064017_1968239882_o.jpg

The trilogy is finally being realized from BioWare, and finally for the first time, PS3 users, (myself included), will finally get to play the first game that started it. Coming for PC/360 starting November 6th. And of course... PS3 at a later date. I can only guess because ME1 was never developed on the PS3 platform before, so they'll be taking a bat at it, like ME2. I just hope the annoying sound clip bugs for the voice overs get addressed on the PS3.

On a different note, how will this effect ME3 on the Wii U? Kind of a weird strategy if you ask me.

Polly
Sep 27, 2012, 06:30 AM
Yeah, me and a friend were talking about how silly this makes ME3 on WiiU look. Just makes the Wii U version of the game seem even more unnecessary and just a "eh, throw 'em a bone" tactic.

Slidikins
Sep 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
When I first heard of ME1 on the PS3, I heard that it would be a remake in the ME3 engine. Did they scrap that plan?

amtalx
Sep 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
After playing ME2 (and ME3 to a lesser extent) you will regret wishing for ME1. :wacko:

Polly
Sep 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
When I first heard of ME1 on the PS3, I heard that it would be a remake in the ME3 engine. Did they scrap that plan?

I'd play that in a heartbeat. After playing 2, there was no way I could ever go back to ME1. It's such a clunker now.

joefro
Sep 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
After playing ME2 (and ME3 to a lesser extent) you will regret wishing for ME1. :wacko:

I completely agree with this. Mass Effect was very clunky and had a lot of problems as compared to the smoothness of 2 and 3. I still think that the original Mass Effect had the best story, though.

amtalx
Sep 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
I completely agree with this. Mass Effect was very clunky and had a lot of problems as compared to the smoothness of 2 and 3. I still think that the original Mass Effect had the best story, though.

I always thought ME1 had the best story delivery, ME2 had the best cast (seriously, it rivals Planescape: Torment for the largest, most diverse, and well developed party), and ME3 had the best combat. It's a shame Bioware couldn't get all cylinders firing in the same game.

Slidikins
Sep 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
ME2 had the best cast (seriously, it rivals Planescape: Torment for the largest, most diverse, and well developed party)Please don't get me started on the Daddy Issues, The Game tirade...

Outrider
Sep 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
ME1 on PS3 might use the updated graphical engine used in ME3, but that's probably the extent of it. Expect it to play exactly like it does on Xbox.

Y'know, a year or two ago I went and played through the first Mass Effect again and it's actually still pretty great. Yes, it's clunkier and the combat is awkward, but the exploration and scope of the game is something that hasn't been seen since.

One of my biggest complaints with ME3 was how limited the areas you explored could be, especially since the Citadel was pretty much the only non-combat area you could visit outside your ship. The first Mass Effect felt more like a traditional BioWare game in that sense, with multiple planets have both large areas to explore mixed with bits of combat.

I also miss standing up on a mountain and sniping a geth from a mile away.

ME2 is still my favorite in the series, but honestly I'm glad that ME is the way it is.

Oh yeah, to get back on topic - Mass Effect Trilogy is likely going to seriously hurt the sales of ME3 on Wii U, unless there are a large number of gamers who accidentally pick up ME3 thinking it's the trilogy release. I really don't know what they're thinking here. Honestly, if they released the Mass Effect Trilogy on the Wii U with some meaningful uses of the Wii Pad, I would have considered buying it. Even before this announcement, ME3 on Wii U seemed kind of pointless, but now it just seems downright silly.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 27, 2012, 04:33 PM

More like the other way around. I loved ME1. ME2 was a god awful mess and ME3 was just worse. Especially with the added and 100% non-needed, pointless and crappy multiplayer.

After ME 2&3 as well as DA 2, EA needs to put the games back into the hands of devs that care and actually know how to make a game. Not ones that make games that suck up to the whining kids of todays gaming world.

AND STOP MAKING GAMES THAT ARE RIDICULOUSLY EASY FOR THE SAKE OF THE IDIOT GAMER THAT HAS NO PATIENCE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY!

amtalx
Sep 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
More like the other way around. I loved ME1. ME2 was a god awful mess and ME3 was just worse. Especially with the added and 100% non-needed, pointless and crappy multiplayer.

After ME 2&3 as well as DA 2, EA needs to put the games back into the hands of devs that care and actually know how to make a game. Not ones that make games that suck up to the whining kids of todays gaming world.

AND STOP MAKING GAMES THAT ARE RIDICULOUSLY EASY FOR THE SAKE OF THE IDIOT GAMER THAT HAS NO PATIENCE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY!

While the 'streamlining' of a number of systems in ME2 is surely debatable, the inventory system in ME1 is inexorably cumbersome. I missed the Mako a little in ME2, as it added a feel of exploring space. However, it really was just dozens of palette swapped square grids of barren wasteland strewn throughout to game to create a veneer of adventure.

EA has a fairly consistent history of purchasing a developer and driving them into the ground. Their commitment to MP in every game is discouraging, but I've been able to safely ignore them until now. Co-op in Dead Space 3 and some as yet undescribed MP mode in Dragon Age 3 have me concerned though.

Blitzkommando
Sep 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
Mass Effect, brilliant, fun game with a great story. Gameplay wasn't perfect, but the exploration factor made up for that in spades. It was the first game to give me the feeling of massive scale that I had last felt in Half-Life and the scale of Black Mesa. Difference being in Mass Effect I could actually explore that space, and that was something I had been chomping at the bit for since I was a child watching TNG and Star Wars. Mass Effect 2 improved gameplay and interface, but story went down and exploration disappeared in favor of grinding for resources. Oh, and every single character had daddy issues. Every. Single. One. Why they felt the need to give everyone family drama versus the more varied issues of politics, religion, culture, and race of the first is confusing. And Mass Effect 3 decided to throw out the years worth of canon out the window in favor of three different colors of explosions that all pretty much bone the galaxy in the end.

Sinue_v2
Sep 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
One of the issues I had with Mass Effect's narrative is that they revealed too much about the Reapers, how they work, and their history. Just as magic tricks are only really impressive until you know how they work, when you pull back the curtain on villains like the Reapers, they no longer become all that threatening. It ends up transforming them from mysterious and malevolent forces of nature into just another run of the mill super-powered sci-fi villain. It's much harder to maintain suspense, and ends up just a "thrill ride" while you play scavenger hunt and look for a weakness to exploit. Even so, it still could have been a fairly decent story overall, but that was ruined at the end when they just get lazy and copped out with a deus ex machina via the architect... er, excuse me... "The Catalyst".

The whole thing just feels like special pleading, touched with an anthropocentric conceit since it was us "humans" and our non-reaper based technology that wedged the door to victory open. It would have been a more compelling narrative if the humans role in ME mirrored what our role in the actual universe is... insignificance, and ME explored the ways in which the characters coped with being faced by that insignificance while desperately searching for a way to survive or delay the storm.

I wouldn't have minded a scenario in which the game ended with the galaxy being wrecked, and the heroes sole achievement being the ensured survival of a few pockets of civilization. At least then the Reapers would have lived up to their reputation established in the first game, rather than waiting and spending most of the third game fucking around and straightening out everybody else's bullshit problems in order to build an armada mid-apocalypse since we're already apparently just a few upgrades away from being able to put up a fight.

Oh, and every single character had daddy issues. Every. Single. One. Why they felt the need to give everyone family drama versus the more varied issues of politics, religion, culture, and race of the first is confusing.

Mordin Solus was a very welcomed exception to this. I loved his character, but I wasn't really convinced by his apparently sudden change of heart concerning the ethics of the genophage in ME3.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
http://www.gamefront.com/surprise-the-mass-effect-trilogy-wont-include-all-dlc/

Reasons NOT to buy the trilogy now.

Outrider
Oct 2, 2012, 02:15 AM
http://www.gamefront.com/surprise-the-mass-effect-trilogy-wont-include-all-dlc/

Reasons NOT to buy the trilogy now.

It is literally just a repackaging of the discs that you can buy separately to try and make some more sales in time for the holidays. That's all it is.

If you didn't already own the games and you wanted to buy them, then get the trilogy package! It's pretty much the exact same thing as just buying each game separately, except you get a special case with it.

Tyreek
Oct 2, 2012, 06:00 PM
I had a feeling they were gonna milk something out of this trilogy, looks like that's the way to do it. Typical EA. Why would miss the chance to milk the player base (especially the PS3 players), by making them pay for more DLC, which should just be in the game regardless. And I anticipated they would do this with ME1 since it was never on a Sony platform.

Outrider
Oct 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
I had a feeling they were gonna milk something out of this trilogy, looks like that's the way to do it. Typical EA. Why would miss the chance to milk the player base (especially the PS3 players), by making them pay for more DLC, which should just be in the game regardless. And I anticipated they would do this with ME1 since it was never on a Sony platform.

I mean... again: as far as PC and Xbox are concerned they're just putting the game back in print, but in one package instead of individual SKUs. Nothing more.

.Rusty.
Oct 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dunno if anyone still plays ME3 multiplayer but they came out with another free DLC.
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/10/04/mass-effect-3-retaliation-multiplayer-dlc/

The volus are playable and the rage from the lore nerds is hilarious :-D

Tyreek
Nov 1, 2012, 04:45 PM
Update on the PS3 version. Thanks to some cool people, they got ME1 into development, with some different coding. And now its ready for manufacturing. The PS3 version is dated for December 4th. ME1 will come with Bring Down the Sky. ME2 will come with everything the PS3 version was bundled with. ME3 gets... Online lol.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/ryan-warden-an-update-on-the-mass-effect-trilogy/

It runs "pretty damn well" he says. lol Entertaining read.

Edit: And can someone fill me in on the consensus around why people hate having the series on PS3? Its sounds like a case of console war to me.