View Full Version : Game Elder Scrolls

Chik'Tikka
Oct 2, 2012, 12:35 AM
so, I'm curious, how many of you all are going to disappear when The Elder Scrolls Online launches next year? and how do you all think it'll affect the US/EU version of PSO2?+^_^+
http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/

Scrub
Oct 2, 2012, 12:46 AM
I will be spending the release night of Elder Scrolls Online clutching my old copy of Morrowind while weeping like a woman.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 2, 2012, 12:52 AM
I will be spending the release night of Elder Scrolls Online clutching my old copy of Morrowind while weeping like a woman.

a pic of Seyda Neen in ESO+^_^+ it looks different because it's 2000 years before Skyrim's story arc
[SPOILER-BOX]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/469714_452516581425047_1729815798_o.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

BIG OLAF
Oct 2, 2012, 12:53 AM

I'll be doing the same, except holding my copies of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, as I look towards the heavens and ask "what the fuck happened?"

Chik'Tikka
Oct 2, 2012, 01:00 AM
I'll be doing the same, except holding my copies of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, as I look towards the heavens and ask "what the fuck happened?"

tell you what happened+^_^+ Bethesda created a brand, became world famous with it's fantasy world of Tamriel, and now they wanna make oodles of $$$$$$$$ (monthly sub no doubt) from all the addicts they spent all these past years creating+^_^+

Mike
Oct 2, 2012, 01:01 AM
I usually enjoy ES games but I'm going to stay away from this one. I haven't heard anything about it in a while but the Skyrim multiplayer mod is more what I would be looking for in a multiplayer ES offering.

(monthly sub no doubt
Still a million times better than a system based on a random number generator.

Heskett
Oct 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
The fact that this game is a WoW clone makes me not want to play it; meanwhile, being set in the Elder Scrolls universe makes me want to play it. I am so conflicted. aguh

DayDreamer
Oct 3, 2012, 05:55 AM
Im going to give the game a chance. Time will tell if it really does suck.

EvilMag
Oct 3, 2012, 05:59 AM
Oh boy, I'll be looking forward for what the bugs that will plague the game will be like on day 1!

goldwing
Oct 3, 2012, 07:51 AM
O wow im def going to play this. Now if only i hadnt of known about this till after it relesed

Akaimizu
Oct 3, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm going to wait until the Elder Scrolls online gets some real feedback. I'm still highly unconvinced they'll pull off an MMO with the proper elements of an Elder Scrolls game. The general way the two subgenres of games (Elder Scrolls single-player) and MMOs function has way too many diametrically opposed game elements.

Elder Scrolls attempts to give the player as much freedom as possible to think outside the box and exploit what you can find, to a limit (sort of). MMOs are about giving the player specific limited options for which the devs can completely control the effects. (Even if there are a lot of options. They are highly controlled factors). MMOs also never make the mistake of giving the player the option to create brand new spell effects or enchantments to the realm.

Now, on the other hand, people might see it as Redguard the MMO, since that was a game in the Elder Scrolls universe that was more of a 3rd-person action adventure that wasn't so free for the player to build almost unlimited builds.

darkante
Oct 3, 2012, 09:28 AM
I have to give alot more thoughts into it before i can make a decision.
Do love this serie, but i never really liked MMO style based games besides maybe Champions Online...which i havenīt touched in ages, but it is kinda fun.

.Rusty.
Oct 3, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hmm let me think do i give a fuck?

Not made by Bethesda.
PC only.
WOW clone.
Subscription based

Unless it is so bad it puts Bethesda out of business I dont give a fuck.

Kinda off topic but I can't believe it took me a year to realize how overpowered all the alcohol lying about in skyrim is when you combine it with a melee weapon :beer:

Sinue_v2
Oct 3, 2012, 04:30 PM
The only thing that's really got my ear about the game so far is the fact that they are rendering all of Tamriel together into one game... something I've been waiting for an ES game to do again since Arena. My first run of it was with Morrowind, and I went back to play a bit of Daggerfall - but the thrill of hiking from Red Mountain to Sentinel in Arena loses it's charm when everything looks exactly the same.

If the MMO fails, I hope they at least keep the resources (with appropriate updates) and try again with a more traditional ES game - maybe an Arena remake with the updated lore, or a new campaign that incorporates limited multiplayer. I would think the upcoming war against the Aldmeri Dominion would be a fertile source for a story, should they not expand upon it in later Skyrim DLC.

Another thing that bugs me is that several sections of Tamriel proper won't be available at launch, as their being held back for expansions. Now, other continents sure... Atmora, Yokuda, Akavir, etc... hell, even Soltesheim or a Daedric plane maybe... but Winterhold? Fucking seriously? Maybe they've got a good idea on how to hold them back initially, so that it makes sense that we can visit Riften and Windhelm - but not Winterhold until much later, but I think it's just going to end up pissing people off.

Also, I like the idea that they're going back to the overworld maps of the previous games to inform them on where to place landmarks, ruins, and general topography, etc. However, for those areas which we haven't seen fleshed out fully in their own game (like Elsweyr and Valenwood), I wonder if future games in the series are going to have their creativity stymied by trying to mold themselves to what will be established in ESO without the benefit of having a full game's worth of design resources.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Oct 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
If it's actual live action and not assigining a host of skills and spells to you 1-0 keys for combat then I might have a look.

Mike
Oct 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Massively (http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/22/massivelys-hands-on-with-the-elder-scrolls-online/) has a news story up about the MMO. It's an interesting read and kind of makes me want to try it out.

Sinue_v2
Oct 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
Well, it's not ESO news, but apparently a user by the name of Maddonox or something over at the Bethesda forums got to poking around in the new 1.8 patch and discovered some new info about the next Skyrim DLC. It should be called "Dragonborn" and will feature a return to Solstheim - the landmass visited last in the Morrowind: Bloodmoon expansion, but now taken over by Dark Elf refugees after Morrowind proper went to shit.

Some of the files include markers for "Telvanni Tower" & "Raven Rock", and a host of new items and enemies. Bonemold Chitin, and Stalhrim armor will be making a comeback, as will Netches, Rieklins, and Scribs. There's also what appears to be mention of new finishing move animations - including some for spears, so that weapon type may be on it's way.

Another big addition will be "Dragon Mounts", though I'm not sure if they'll actually let you use a dragon for general transportation. I have a feeling that dragon mounts will probably be how you transport back and forth from Solstheim - or the DLC will crescendo with an areal dragon battle.

There's also a question of what exactly is being referenced by calling the DLC "Dragonborn". I assume we'll be chasing down or teaming up with another dragonborn character, but considering the famous footsteps we'll be walking in - I dare to hope that maybe we'll end up crossing paths with the Nereverine at some point. I mean, it's possible, since the Lost Prophecies state;

"Neither Hound nor Guar, nor Seed nor Harrow,
But Dragon-born and far-star-marked,
Outlander Incarnate beneath Red Mountain,"

"Dragon-born" may simply be a reference to the fact that the Nerevarine was born in the Empire, and the Urshilaku wisewoman interprets it as such - but there were no dragons in the time of the incarnate, so it's not like they could (or even know to) test that part of the prophecy. Further, due to catching and "treating" Corpus disease - the Nerevarine is immune to all disease and ageless/immortal (so long as he doesn't take a mace to the brainpan or something)... so the incarnate is likely still very much alive and well in TESV's time, no matter what race. It could be that with the return of the dragons, the Nerevarine found he had these powers. ... or more likely it could be that someone is trying to impersonate the Nerevarine towards a diabolical end (Thalmor plot to bring the Dunmer into their alliance?), and you have to uncover and foil the scheme.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to this next DLC. I just have to wonder how exciting it's going to be consider every tomb and landmark on the island has been looted and pillaged long ago. No wonder the Nords gave Solstheim to the Dark Elves so willingly... the Nerevarine already hoovered up every last scrap of loose treasure of any real value to be had long ago.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
^ as a Dark Elf player, I'd buy this DLC, even though i didn't buy the last 2 yet+^_^+ (still kinda peeved that only Karliah gets them there PURPLE eyes) +^_^+

DragonForce
Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Soltheim was pretty small in Morrowind. It was also a frozen wasteland with a few trees here and there. Maybe it's a mini Vardenfell now since Red Mountain erupted.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
Dragonborn+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZE-yxDoLsk

original vid here: http://cms.elderscrolls.com/sites/default/files/tes/trailers/TESVSkyrim_DLC2Trailer_US_Desktop.ogv

.Rusty.
Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hell yeah time to buy some MS points :D It giveing me a bit of a morrowind feel and from the looks of it you travel there by boat so it might be closer to the new vegas DLCs.

darkante
Nov 6, 2012, 12:28 AM
Dragonborn seems a like worthwhile purchase.
Although, dragon flight is something i figured would happen sooner or later.

BIG OLAF
Nov 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
I find it very intriguing that there was a Dragonborn before Tiber Septim. I wonder who this fellow is. Well, most likely a colossal douchebag, but I meant on a personal level.

I'm also pretty excited to see some of the Morrowind enemies and environments being "Skyrim-ified" and looking more gorgeous and detailed than ever before.

The dragon-riding looks meh to me. I don't even use horses, so I doubt I'll ever use dragon mounts.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
I find it very intriguing that there was a Dragonborn before Tiber Septim. I wonder who this fellow is. Well, most likely a colossal douchebag, but I meant on a personal level.

I'm also pretty excited to see some of the Morrowind enemies and environments being "Skyrim-ified" and looking more gorgeous and detailed than ever before.

The dragon-riding looks meh to me. I don't even use horses, so I doubt I'll ever use dragon mounts.

*would laugh if somehow they did make it Tiber Septim, wouldn't be the 1st time something like that is seen in games+^_^+

BIG OLAF
Nov 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
It's presumably impossible, since Tiber Septim was never a Dragon Priest that presided/ruled over Solsthiem.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
It's presumably impossible, since Tiber Septim was never a Dragon Priest that presided/ruled over Solsthiem.

and Moses didn't part the red sea+^_^+ Tiber Septim ended up ruling over quite a bit of Tamriel, and as they say, history is written by the victor+^_^+ could be that he covered up a more colorful past+^_^+

BIG OLAF
Nov 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Doubtful.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
Doubtful.

yeah, your probably right, i expect too much from story lines these days+^_^+

Sinue_v2
Nov 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
I find it very intriguing that there was a Dragonborn before Tiber Septim.

Well, there was St. Alessia who was credited as being the first dragonborn back in the first era. She's the one who entered into a covenant with Akatosh to seal the oblivion gates and prevent the Aleyids from summoning daedra armies against the slave rebellion, in exchange for her worshiping the divines. That's where the Amulet of Kings came from. The red diamond is her and Akatosh's blood mixed.

Skyrim introduces the idea that Akatosh may have intervened on mankind's behalf during the Dragon Wars of the mythic era, to give them a way to fight back. This DLC pretty much just confirms that rumor, as nobody but a dragonborn could truly defeat a dragon, and it's unlikely that other dragons would join the human cause unless lead by one of their own in mortal form.

Well, most likely a colossal douchebag

Villainy 101, it's pretty much a given. Though it would be interesting if he were a sympathetic character who's a good man with a noble cause who has to resort to dubious methods as the only possible means to his grand goal... or perhaps he's so lost in his vision that he doesn't even understand the moral faults in his methods, a fatal flaw.

I always like those characters the best... because they are more relatable, and reflect better how real people are motivated. Plus, that conflict you feel when you inevitably have to shatter their precious dreams and put them down for their crimes... knowing but for a simple twist of fate, that could be you. The best villains are those who, when presented in a different light, would be tragic heroes.

Wyndham
Nov 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Sadly I don't have a gaming PC. I'll just hope for a US reelease of PSO2 on the Vita.

BIG OLAF
Nov 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
Sadly I don't have a gaming PC. I'll just hope for a US reelease of PSO2 on the Vita.

Uhh, Skyrim is on the 360 and PS3, you know. What does any of this have to do with PSO2?

Wyndham
Nov 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Uhh, Skyrim is on the 360 and PS3, you know. What does any of this have to do with PSO2?

No, I was talking about the Online Elder Scrolls.