PDA

View Full Version : nvlddmkm.sys crash BSOD

Shadowth117
Oct 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
Alright, so I'm not expecting much at this point, but I figured I may as well ask here. I've been getting numerous BSOD's running PSO2 with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 675m. OS is 64 bit Windows 7 running on a laptop.

I've reinstalled multiple drivers for the graphics card and other hardware a few times already, checked memtest for errors in memory (none), made sure my power supply is okay and overall I can't seem to find the problem. Its not overheating or overworking more than likely since the times are so variable (5 min to 4 hrs into game before BSOD) and I've been able to run Just Cause 2 max settings no problem for hours before crashing later on PSO2. I have to wonder if its Game Guard, but I really have no clue honestly and if it is I wouldn't know how to fix it... I do know my integrated graphics card will run the game without issue, albeit on waaaaay lower settings.

Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry if this has been posted before, but if it has I'd really like to know what to do here... I'm considering a full OS reinstall which would be rather annoying at the moment if I can't find a solution.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 5, 2012, 02:28 PM
^ does your laptop have Nvidia Optimus? if it does it may be that PSO2 is running off the integrated GPU rather then the Nvidia card, i have a laptop 540m myself and run PSO2 near max (only get 40 fps), anyway, a way around it is Nvidia Inspector (http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html), not only can you adjust graphics setting for PSO2, but you can manually select which GPU it uses too, on a side note, I'm using the 301.42 drivers and haven't once had an issue+^_^+

EDIT; read this thread, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/355569-33-nvlddmkm-bsod-help do a "clean install" of the latest video driver, should fix your issue+^_^+

Ana-Chan
Oct 5, 2012, 05:19 PM
Alright, so I'm not expecting much at this point, but I figured I may as well ask here. I've been getting numerous BSOD's running PSO2 with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 675m. OS is 64 bit Windows 7 running on a laptop.

I've reinstalled multiple drivers for the graphics card and other hardware a few times already, checked memtest for errors in memory (none), made sure my power supply is okay and overall I can't seem to find the problem. Its not overheating or overworking more than likely since the times are so variable (5 min to 4 hrs into game before BSOD) and I've been able to run Just Cause 2 max settings no problem for hours before crashing later on PSO2. I have to wonder if its Game Guard, but I really have no clue honestly and if it is I wouldn't know how to fix it... I do know my integrated graphics card will run the game without issue, albeit on waaaaay lower settings.

Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry if this has been posted before, but if it has I'd really like to know what to do here... I'm considering a full OS reinstall which would be rather annoying at the moment if I can't find a solution.

The issue with comparing PSO2 to Just Cause 2 is that they use different versions of DirectX. PSO2 uses Direct3D9 and Just Cause 2 uses Direct3D10. It is often normally tough to compare two games anyway, they use different settings to initialise Direct3D and functions can be called in different orders and this can cause one game to hit this bug in the drivers but another not to.

So really what you can do is limited. You can try the reinstall to rule out other drivers causing problems. Otherwise, the only thing you really can do is contact Nvidia support and send them a minidump for them to investigate.

On an interesting note, I have had some interesting issues with mine too. There was one where I kept having Windows freeze on me. It turned out that the version of the drivers that I was using had issues with a Direct3D application running while a media player was running a video using DXVA.