PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Megid: Cheezy Gimmick or Cool Feature?

AzureBlaze
Mar 28, 2003, 11:52 PM
Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that shooting megid seems to be the latest fad with monsters?
I hadn't really realized just HOW many things will try to megid you, especially on ult.

Megid can appear in every single ult level, except for the mines.
-Hildetorr in the forest
-Ob, Mill lilly in Caves
-Gran Sorcerer/Dark Fallz Ruins
-More lillies in the Temple
-Gran sorcerers on the space ship
-Crazy pink monkies in all of ep 2
-And...what could the Mericarol possibly do? Hm.
-Deldepths in seabed

In fact, I would bet it's the most widely used enemy spell there is. Except that it's really annoying. Is that the best they can come up with to try and make things harder for everone, is to have half the monsters shoot instant death?

They already proved that other techs are deadly, such as the Sinow Zoa's gibarta+double punch combo. And to me, that seems like more of a real fight, when you're going hand to hand or spell to spell Vs. something that you have to know how to break out of it's ice, dodge it's attacks or do whatever counter move. If something just goes 'blat' and all of a sudden you're dead, with no chance to block it or fight back against it (except for some randomized resist number), it seems kinda...lackluster.

What do you think? How about for future games? I would definatly like to see a wider variety of attack methods for enemies, whether those be spells or just anything.

SkyHawkX
Mar 28, 2003, 11:59 PM
The Gibarta+Double Punch combo is easy to get out of. Shake the stick.

Bloodberry
Mar 29, 2003, 12:21 AM
It's not called ultimate for nothing. I like the death spell run, it makes teamwork more important in the game, thus making it harder.

deacon
Mar 29, 2003, 12:56 AM
I think it's cheesy. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't hit so often. The rest of us have to have like level 29 megid to get such good results. WHy should a freakin' flower have such luck?

At any rate, I am sorta glad it's there. I like ult mode because it's harder, but youre right, they could have added challenge in other ways.

Zeebo
Mar 29, 2003, 12:58 AM
Yeah it does get anoying but eh ultimate is not just a phrase

Polenicus
Mar 29, 2003, 03:29 AM
On 2003-03-28 20:52, AzureBlaze wrote:
Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that shooting megid seems to be the latest fad with monsters?
I hadn't really realized just HOW many things will try to megid you, especially on ult.

Megid can appear in every single ult level, except for the mines.
-Hildetorr in the forest
-Ob, Mill lilly in Caves
-Gran Sorcerer/Dark Fallz Ruins
-More lillies in the Temple
-Gran sorcerers on the space ship
-Crazy pink monkies in all of ep 2
-And...what could the Mericarol possibly do? Hm.
-Deldepths in seabed

In fact, I would bet it's the most widely used enemy spell there is. Except that it's really annoying. Is that the best they can come up with to try and make things harder for everone, is to have half the monsters shoot instant death?

They already proved that other techs are deadly, such as the Sinow Zoa's gibarta+double punch combo. And to me, that seems like more of a real fight, when you're going hand to hand or spell to spell Vs. something that you have to know how to break out of it's ice, dodge it's attacks or do whatever counter move. If something just goes 'blat' and all of a sudden you're dead, with no chance to block it or fight back against it (except for some randomized resist number), it seems kinda...lackluster.

What do you think? How about for future games? I would definatly like to see a wider variety of attack methods for enemies, whether those be spells or just anything.

I wouldn't mind the heavy use of megid so much if they had a cure/megid unit to block its effects. They have a unit for damn near everything else. The monkeys never really bothered me... their megid is slow and relatively low-level. The Ob-fucking-lillies, on the other hand... near level 30, fast and with something just shy of handgun range. And with the situations they put you in in Episode II, any range advantage you have is useless anyway. Meet Ob lilly, attack, get paralyzed, get megid, get dead.

That's one enemy I wouldn't cry about if it didn't make it into the next version...

Kupi
Mar 29, 2003, 01:43 PM
It's not just the proximity to the Lillies that makes them so deadly in the Temple... it's the fact that there's so stinkin' many of them! I mean, you can see something like three per wave per room in spots. That's just insane for the mobility you're given. >=/

TeamPhalanx
Mar 29, 2003, 05:44 PM
You could just raise your EDK...

I think it's good that enemies have such an attack at their disposal. It makes the game more interesting.

Besides, all of them are easily avoidable.

Zarana
Mar 29, 2003, 07:36 PM
With Gibbons it's just a cheesy, uninspired gimmick. As if Sonic Team looked at Zol Gibbon and thought "Duh, what could we possibly make him shoot now that Gibarta is gone? Oh, I know, really low leveled Megid!"

But the others are definitely a neat feature. They make us better.

Muku6
Mar 29, 2003, 08:13 PM
While it seems cheesy, it does add difficulty, which is what Ultimate is all about. Instead of complaining raise your EDK up. I've got enough to raise mine to 93, now to test it out. I'm sure it won't be much of a problem.

SMACKTARD
Mar 29, 2003, 09:07 PM
ultimate is not just a phrase

you're right, its a word. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Barubary6
Mar 29, 2003, 09:15 PM
Here's one more for you:
- Del Lily, in the Control Tower

>_<

-- Barubary

Yoda86
Mar 29, 2003, 10:03 PM
I like the fact that these Megid spells add a lot of difficulty to the game, the only problem is if you are hit and die, that means a lot of running back to where you died.

AzureBlaze
Mar 29, 2003, 10:52 PM
I wasn't saying that nothing should shoot megid, I was just commenting on the fact that a whole ton of stuff does.

Personally, I don't mind the added challenge of some enemy attacking with it once in a while--after all, Ult is Ult. To have the Hildetorr use it is cool, it's a shock. However...you kind of get to be expecting it, when so many things use it. And few enemies aim it well either. Zol gibbons, as someone mentioned, are poor aims. The lillies are ok (especially if you arn't watching) and by far the best shot has to be the Gran Sorcerer. It's fast, AND very accurate...so much so that even if you're dodging, he/it mostly still hits you.

However, I wouldn't mind if they spiced things up with some variety.
-Like if there was a team of gibbons (or something) where one would use rabarta, then the other would rafoie, or zonde right away. Sort of a double attack.
-Or a sinow/baranz type enemy that could use regular zonde, then use a single missile. (which you could shoot down, if you were fast...always wanted to do that to baranz)

Dodging the old purple blob is ok -sometimes-, but maybe next time there will be more.

malinko
Mar 30, 2003, 12:13 AM
On 2003-03-29 18:15, Barubary6 wrote:
Here's one more for you:

>_<

-- Barubary

Is that in a quest? Which one?

Vitamin_D
Mar 30, 2003, 02:55 AM
I like the fact that more enemies have Megid, it makes you pay more attention to what you're doing. And I wouldn't call Mericarol's attack Megid...I'd call it "I hit you, you die." http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KirinDave
Mar 30, 2003, 06:49 AM
It's so typical of people here to miss the entire fscking point of the argument presented. What our perceptive PSOW pal is mentioning here is that JUST MAKING THINGS SHOOT MEGID IS BORING. Yes. it's very difficult. No one is denying that. Yes, it's ultimate, and ultimate is supposed to be hard, we understand.

The problem is that Megid isn't something you can negate via skill or teamwork. Megid either kills or it doesn't. Some megids you MIGHT dodge, but in real life situations (read: episode 2) there are many times when you cannot. This is cheesy. Other enemy abilities, powerful ones, are much more interesting and provide a more sporting feel. Someone with skill and ability can DO something about it.

The only way to stop megid is to put on resist's for it. Lots of them. And there is no god-class resist, so it's not a non-trivial thing.

The point of a game is to challenge you, give you obstacles to overcome, and reward you for preserverance. Just making every enemy shoot megid does none of that.

For instance, Ob Lillies. Why not have them shoot a bolt that does a random status effect? Or a bolt that unequips your current weapon? There are many options besides just high-level megid, which is what I'd say only the most deadly monsters should get.

Morfos
Mar 30, 2003, 01:20 PM
I dont find Ob Lilies so bad unless your in Temple.

Here are the megids that annoy me:
Temple:Ob Lilie,close together and hard to dodge
SpaceShip/Ruins:Gran Sorcerer, cannot be dodged
Seabed:Deldelphs(sp?),very annoying

Megids that dont annoy me:
Cave:Ob Lily, easy to dodge, they are so far apart
CCA:Pink Monkeys have low level megid
Forest:Hilditor(sp?), too rare

Worst Megid:
Ruins:Gran Sorcerer, large rooms hard to exit and the megid is super fast(lvl30) and cannot be dodged unless you exit the room entirely. It is especially annoying online. SpaceShip is not as bad because they dont appear as frequently.

Least bad Megid:
Forest:you hardly ever see them and when you do see them they will be easy to avoid.

Skill and Megid:Yes there is skill involved in dodgeing the majority of megids. There are only 2 incidences where you cannot use skill to dodge megid.

SpaceShip:When you are targed and cannot leave the room in time before megid is fired. Megid cannot be outran because it is a million times faster than you. you cannot dodge it by running in circles either which you are able to do to dodge the Ob Lilies.

Ruins:When you are targeted and cannot leave the room are get far enough away because of enemes and 700 damage dealing traps. You cannot dodge the attack unless your very far away, and it is impossible to get that far fast enough if you were close to the Sorcerer when it started casting it.

I think Gran Sorcerers should not get megid except for Spaceship. They should have gotten a dark attack for ruins, lvl 15 slow megid offline spaceship and lvl30 fast megid online spaceship.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morfos on 2003-03-30 10:26 ]</font>

Moogy
Mar 30, 2003, 01:37 PM
Megid is pretty boring. I'm not effected by it that often, because I have 50 EDK without any slots. Still, I don't really like it. It's ok, as long as it's being cast by like a Gran Sorcerer or Hildetorr, because you're never going to see more than like 2 in a room. Now, Lilies, those just plain suck. There's at least 3 of them in a room at a time, and they're all shooting Megid. Eh, I guess we'll just have to deal with it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif This Del Lily sounds intriguing. I can't wait for the quest with it, wait, on second thought, maybe I can. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kent
Mar 31, 2003, 02:27 AM
Hey, at least they don't have Megid Turrets...

PatserGOUKI
Mar 31, 2003, 05:31 AM
Hi,

Well I want to reply on the subject because I hear I'm not the only one who hates megid.
i dunno Its ult thats tru, but in caves, for example its harder to get tru than mines. The F@#$kking lillies. I hate em.

Yes anybod y who says its ultimate has their right, but, as for me, caves is my least favourite level to play because of the lilies, i think!

PatserGOUKI

EsperFlame
Mar 31, 2003, 09:16 AM
Just to clarify, you can dodge Gran Sorcerer's Megid by circling, but you need a decent amount of distance.

OdinTyler
Mar 31, 2003, 11:19 AM
Here's one more for you:

>_<

-- Barubary

I've only heard of these Del Lillies confirmed yesterday. So they are real? What do they look like? Also, what's up w/Deldepths knowing Megid in Ult now? Oh great! I haven't done much of EpII on Ult yet. Stupid Temple!

OdinTyler
Mar 31, 2003, 11:21 AM
On 2003-03-30 23:27, Kent wrote:
Hey, at least they don't have Megid Turrets...

DON'T GIVE SONIC TEAM IDEAS NOW! THAT COULD BE BAD! LMAO Megid turrets...you insane? LOL

MetalGriever
Mar 31, 2003, 04:20 PM
Or worse yet, megid that shoots like a spread needle.

Jack
Apr 1, 2003, 05:29 AM
Here's one more for you:

>_<

-- Barubary

If my guess is correct, it's a Lily that gets up and walks. Fires Megid, and also hits you. Kind of like the Merillia/Meriltas enemies in the Central Control Area.

What's the Central Control Tower like, by the way? Difficult? Graphically pleasing?

PatserGOUKI
Apr 1, 2003, 06:45 AM
Hi,

Well I thought Needle megid is cool but....

What do u think on the ultimate GUN: the heaven megid!
A heaven punsiher that shoots lv 30 megids Whoaaaaa
Yiehaaaaa

LOL http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PatserGOUKI