PDA

View Full Version : Control options.

RainOfSulphur
Oct 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, this is my first post so please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

I was just wondering (for those who are playing the Japanese PSO2), how do you like playing PSO with a mouse/keyboard combination? And... can you play with a gamepad? (Have you tried it with a gamepad?)

I am accustomed to playing PC online RPGs so I don't mind using m/kb combo or a gamepad (with kb for typing), but I'm very curious as to how users are playing it and what they like/dislike about the control device they're using.

PSO on the Dreamcast was my first online game. (Not sure why I mentioned that, LOL) I guess because I've loved PSO since the beginning. I remember when I was dreaming of it coming out in the SEGA DC magazine where I was drooling over the pictures!

I can't wait until this comes out in NA. I know that I can get the Japanese version, but I will just wait until the NA version releases to play (I'm playing something else right now to keep me occupied).

Thanks so much for any answers to my questions!

:-D

LordChampion
Oct 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
I've been using a gamepad and it's awesome. All buttons are customizeable so you can run your setup however you like, and there's plenty of buttons to do whatever you need.

gigawuts
Oct 17, 2012, 01:31 AM
I like M&K for guns and techs, but a gamepad for melee and mechguns (which have a melee configuration for PA's and are largely melee-oriented with their PA's).

They both have their strengths, I'll swap back and forth based on what I'm doing on the fly.

I find most success with my controller when using a dark souls layout, due to how many mechanics are similar and built up muscle memory. I hear a lot of people say this game is like monster hunter, which I haven't played, but maybe that control scheme works well too. What I can say for sure is default blows.

Lumpen Thingy
Oct 17, 2012, 02:07 AM
I like M&K for guns and techs, but a gamepad for melee and mechguns (which have a melee configuration for PA's and are largely melee-oriented with their PA's).

They both have their strengths, I'll swap back and forth based on what I'm doing on the fly.

I find most success with my controller when using a dark souls layout, due to how many mechanics are similar and built up muscle memory. I hear a lot of people say this game is like monster hunter, which I haven't played, but maybe that control scheme works well too. What I can say for sure is default blows.
the director of monster hunter 2 is the director of this game and ya I do exactly what you do lol

Chik'Tikka
Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 AM
did my best to set mine up like Gears of War+^_^+ having (X) as evade is much easier then using the trigger+^_^+

RainOfSulphur
Oct 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback everybody! I'll probably use a controller, too. Even though it's on a PC, PSO2 looks like it's heart is in the console world, just like it's origins, and that screams controller to me, heh.

Eternal255
Oct 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
i cant play mouse and keyboard. i tried to at school a few times but stopped doing that and just started bringing my gamepad to school to play during my breaks lol

the ability to dodge with easy on a controller is superb to how you dodge on a keyboard so its really useful if you're playing a quick combat melee character (daggers for instance) that needs to move around a lot. if i need to cast spells i usually have the trigger set to the one i'd use the most (quick shifta or resta), and if i need to quickly cast something else in the middle of a boss fight i just reach over for the number on the keyboard real quick

I basically kept the standard view settings the same, only changed jump/cancel to B (xbox controller) and action to A

it also makes for the first/third person shooter style view to be pretty interesting with guns as well as it gives you a console like style of a shooter (you just have to rebind some buttons to the triggers for the second control setup)

i just cant ever seem to play any PSO/U game without a controller :D

RainOfSulphur
Oct 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
That's wicked! I was pleased to learn that my wired 360 controller works with Windows 7, LOL! That takes care of my controller issue. Now I just need the game!

I hope they release a boxed game because I'd rather not download the client... it must be 8 - 10 gigs minimum? Plus all the updates...

Dinosaur
Oct 18, 2012, 12:37 AM
That's wicked! I was pleased to learn that my wired 360 controller works with Windows 7, LOL! That takes care of my controller issue. Now I just need the game!

I hope they release a boxed game because I'd rather not download the client... it must be 8 - 10 gigs minimum? Plus all the updates...

They have a CD release that comes with extra goodies and an instruction manual for 60~ish(?) USD. Either way, the patching on a fresh install will take around 3+ hours.

RainOfSulphur
Oct 18, 2012, 12:38 AM
Very nice! Thanks for the heads up on that. :-D

Crystal_Shard
Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
It's actually 2 DVDs rather than a CD. You'll still need to download some recent updates, but it shouldn't be on the scale of a few GB anyway, as most of the data will be on the two DVDs. The extra goodies are mostly a set of AC items, 30 day premium ticket, 5 weapons for the Fighter/Gunner/Techer classes and a Sato Mag cell.

As for Mouse/Keyboard vs Gamepad... I use the former exclusively not just because I main a force character, but also because I use a Razer Naga/Nostromo combo. I can't imagine not having an extra 12 buttons on my mouse tagged to Shift, Q (for lock on targeting) and all 10 sub palette buttons. The Nostromo just makes my movement keys a lot easier on my fingers rather than any game changer, but it's still nice to have

A gamepad is nice for being able to type while continuing to move and fight though. :3 And I still think it's better for melee combat.