PDA

View Full Version : Need some techie assistance(HDD -> SSD)

Meyfei
Oct 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
recently my laptop's 320gb 5400rpm serial ATA sata hard drive died, if ya wanna search it up "Western Digital 320gb WD3200BPVT"
extra info: The harddrive uses no cords, it just slides in as if it were a USB device.

Thing i'm having trouble with is figuring out if my laptop is compatible with a SATA II/III Solid state drive as for like =/+ cost i can get one as apposed to a junk HDD from a local shop for 100-120(500gb/1TB).

I'm eyeing this here, though 140 is pushing it but, its what 60gb less space? lol i don't make videos so i doubt it'll matter.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139951&name=Internal-SSD

CelestialBlade
Oct 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
Should say on the laptop's specs what HDDs it'll accept. Google should be able to get you a good spec sheet.

As for SSDs, I like running pure system partitions with them so I usually don't worry about storage capacity too much. You can always use externals for storing other junk. Going from 5400rpm to SSD is gonna be a hell of a jump in read/write speed too, so that's a decent deal.

Meyfei
Oct 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'll try checking the specs, though it's like a 5th-hand purchase xD
Buncha random junk thrown into an acer laptop and shipped to some crappy computer sales group (MDG) and pawned off on me. i'll edit/post more information if i can find anything out about it.

on a side note i read that some SATA2/3 are backwards compatible, is that so?

yeah its near impossible to find information on this thing.

best thing i could find is his Over-exaggerated product sales Wall of text, though it's spot on about the same thing i got.
http://reviews.thesource.ca/9026/2510392/acer-acer-as5552-5615-15-6-inch-bilingual-laptop-black-reviews/reviews.htm

Edit: Just talked to some chat support and they said the laptop can support SATA II hard disk drives, So would that work for an ssd? :D
Also listed supported memory, does that even matter?

CelestialBlade
Oct 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Yes, you can use a SATA III device on a SATA II port. All that's doing is limiting your performance to II standards, but no big deal.