PDA

View Full Version : Large Nor'Easter + Hurricane set to impact eastern US

CelestialBlade
Oct 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
http://t.co/NUWY4C64

The jist of this is that there's a decent possibility that Hurricane Sandy, which has already proven its fury in Jamaica and Cuba, is on course to collide with a large cold front/Canadian winter storm early next week. We're talking the possibility of sudden massive snowfall driven by hurricane-force winds anywhere near the east coast of the US. It's basically a nor'easter combined with the precipitation and winds of a hurricane, which could potentially create a devastating storm.

I think a lot of this is conjecture right now, in my educated opinion, but if you live anywhere between the Atlantic ocean and the Mississippi river, it's worth keeping an eye on. Stay safe everyone.

Xefi
Oct 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
hopes for the best for anyone living in the East Coast. i dont really like storm much
and i dont think i want to be in any of it either.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
FFFFFFFF-

I live on the eastcoast D:

Better get my East coat.

Outrider
Oct 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Man. My Halloween was ruined last year by the random blizzard keeping me at home instead of going to a party. I was kind of hoping that wouldn't happen again this year.

Uh... and oh yeah: everybody stay safe.

Ami
Oct 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Even MORE reason for me not to do anything outside? Kay.

It better not snow, I haven't stocked up on hot cocoa yet :< But being somewhat serious, I hope it doesn't do damage D:

Blue-Hawk
Oct 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
Meh. I'm in NJ where it's SUPPOSED to hit the worst. I say it'l fizzle out like Irene did last year. All those poor deluded panicing people. Overeacting over nothing.

gigawuts
Oct 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Meh. I'm in NJ where it's SUPPOSED to hit the worst. I say it'l fizzle out like Irene did last year. All those poor deluded panicing people. Overeacting over nothing.

I guess you've never been hit by a hurricane that knocks out power for two weeks, tips over gas stations, knocks down traffic lights (which are deceptively tall, might I add), pushes down century old trees, etc.

People don't get worried about hurricanes without reason.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
I guess you've never been hit by a hurricane that knocks out power for two weeks, tips over gas stations, knocks down traffic lights (which are deceptively tall, might I add), pushes down century old trees, etc.

People don't get worried about hurricanes without reason.

ANYTHING but power outtages D:

THAT MEANS I'D HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE!

gigawuts
Oct 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Honestly hurricanes are good fun. It's like camping, without the inconvenience of going somewhere.

The community tends to pull together since they're all going through the same shit. That is, in an area where hurricanes are common. In an area where they're not? Might be good to stay near your belongings, if work isn't demanding you go in with sideways rain and clouds so thick you don't have cell reception in a populated area.

BIG OLAF
Oct 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
Since I live in Florida, I always just have a good laugh when hurricanes actually spare us (doesn't happen often) and head somewhere else. Always good when others know our pain this time of year. Have fun.

Heskett
Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
I really hope I don't get scheduled to work on Sunday and Monday. Don't want to be working in tropical storm conditions. :(

Sinue_v2
Oct 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
ANYTHING but power outtages D:

THAT MEANS I'D HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE!

Pfft, no it doesn't.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Pfft, no it doesn't.

boredom and crappy 3DS batterylife says otherwise. D:

Ami
Oct 26, 2012, 09:15 PM
boredom and crappy 3DS batterylife says otherwise. D:
On those days I get well rested <o<

AC9breaker
Oct 26, 2012, 09:34 PM

Pretty sure that just depends on what part of Jersey your from. We lost power for a couple of days and our basement flooded pretty bad and screwed up our boiler.

Honestly hurricanes are good fun. It's like camping, without the inconvenience of going somewhere..

I've only recently discovered the awesomness that is a Hurricane party. Trapped in the house? LETS DRINK YEAAAAAAH!

Heskett
Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 PM

Missed this post. Irene is the 5th costliest Atlantic hurricane on record. Most of the mid-Atlantic was spared from extensive damage, but oh-boy, the northeast was NOT.

Mokyu
Oct 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
I is in the Connecticut area and i am one paranoid person @_@ light winds terrify me lmao~

Sayara
Oct 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
To my fellow DC/MD (see super highway) brethern. Its going to most likely pass over us as every other over hype storm ever.

BIG OLAF
Oct 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'll admit that some people do panic a bit too much...usually because, since they're Northerners, they aren't faced with many hurricanes, and think that even a tropical storm will be SATANSTORM HYPER-REMIX XX2: WE'RE ALL GON' DIE EDITION. As someone who's been through countless Cat. 3-4s, and a Cat. 5 when I was a baby (does that count?), that also amuses me.

However, since they don't get many hurricanes, they probably don't have as advanced tropical weather protocols and procedures when building houses and such, so less is more up there. I dunno.

Heskett
Oct 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
and a Cat. 5 when I was a baby (does that count?)

Only if you lived in southern Miami or Homestead at the time.

Dhylec
Oct 26, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hope & pray Sandy's nothing serious when it's here. But, better be safe than sorry.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2012, 11:53 PM
What about a Cat G........

Akrid attack.......

gigawuts
Oct 27, 2012, 05:02 AM
Just buy batteries and plug in any backup power supply systems you have. That's what I do. Where I live now we're not really hit hard, but I've lived in areas that were utterly wrecked before. I'm talking streets flooding four feet (that's when we realized why houses were built on man-made hills), screen enclosures being ripped out of the cement and thrown into neighbors' pools, metal shutters being literally shorn right off the side of a house and the storm breaking in the windows, etc.

My best advice? Stay away from trees and power lines and especially trees near power lines - the trees you guys have don't normally deal with these kinds of storms and some WILL be knocked down - and get some 3 or 5 gallon jugs of purified water like you see at walmart or costco/bj's/sam's club/etc. It's a cheap investment, most of the cash is spent on the bottle itself.

And get some stuff for s'mores and beer. Propane/coal too, then some propane/coal accessories like a barbecue maybe. And canned food. A week's worth or more.

And if you have a generator? Do not. Do not. DO. NOT. Leave that shit in your fucking house when it's running. Put it in the garage, leave the garage open a bit, and seal the door to your house if you must. DO NOT LEAVE THAT IN YOUR HOUSE. You might think every floridian knows the drill right? Hell no. Every fucking storm season some dumb fuck dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. They're usually ones that have lived here their entire lives. Idiots.

That all said most of you guys should be fine. Even the worst storms only usually kill stupid people that either refuse to evacuate an area, decide to go swimming in the torrential rain, want to see why that power line is flailing about (they actually do do that, so you should really back the fuck off), think very big very old trees make for great cover, or think snuggling up next to a generator to keep warm is an awesome idea. Most storms don't actually result in many deaths in florida because we know the drill and (usually) have infrastructure designed to withstand it - but that's the problem, new england doesn't have building codes for all that.

When it comes to freak once-in-a-century storms, especially two in as many years, it's better to overreact and prepare for the apocalypse than underreact and run out of food in just 3 days.

CelestialBlade
Oct 27, 2012, 06:02 AM
Latest forecast is showing an early Monday morning landfall for Sandy in New Jersey, and the wind field has expanded to a massive 450 mile radius from center. This means we could be looking at massive storm surge and widespread coastal flooding all throughout New England, plus tons of wind/precip throughout the eastern US. Several states, from New York through North Carolina, have already declared states of emergency.

This is definitely looking like a once-every-couple-decades storm, rivaling the "perfect storm" from the 80s, so whether you take this seriously or not, stay safe. At least 31 have already died from this storm and it hasn't even merged with the cold front yet. The northeast coast isn't as built to deal with storms of this magnitude the way places like Florida or the gulf coast are, so I certainly have my concerns. Even after it makes landfall it's forecast to sort of hover between NYC and Philly for a while, so inland flooding/snowfall is a very real threat too.

I stress again: be safe, friends.

Ryno
Oct 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
oh its already impacting me. but not by much. since its moving to the right a bit.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
Once again, not worried here, but then again I NEVER believe anything that's told by weather forcasters. They say it's going to be sunny, it rains. They say it rains, we get sun. And they never said ANYTHING about last Halloweens snow. So why should I be worried about a little rain and wind that will, most likely, change course again anyway?

It's like what I tell people about doomsayers. We are mankind. We can no more predict the future than we can predict the weather.

That and the top 4 types of people I say are full of shit, not in any order, are politicians, psychics, weatherpeople and religious leaders. But that's a different argument for a different day.

gigawuts
Oct 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Right well if you won't listen to a weatherman about hurricanes being potentially bad how about you listen to people who go through them almost every year.

I lived in new jersey. A proper hurricane is nothing like any storm you've ever seen.

CelestialBlade
Oct 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
I think it's important to remember that meteorology is a science, and all fields of science are ever-changing because we're always learning new things and we can only work with the tools we currently have. Obviously, predicting mother nature is no easy task and is nowhere near an exact predictable science. A lot of weather-tracking technology is still extremely new. It is a flawed science but it has saved countless lives, and I think that's easily worth your inconvenience when it happens to be inaccurate.

Ask any actual meteorologist about "infallible forecasting" and they're just going to laugh at you. That's all media-talk to get you to watch their station, there is no such thing as perfect forecasting right now. Yes, it really is all educated-guessing, but they're usually damn good guesses. Maybe they don't tell you it's gonna sprinkle one day. Big deal. They've gotten every tornado outbreak right this year, which is just a bit more important. They still give citizens plenty of advanced warning, and most of the time it's accurate. That's about all it can be. And it's still worth listening to.

I'm a registered NWS storm spotter, so I work to further increase the accuracy of this science and I like to think I know a fluke from something worth considering by now. I know this forecast could be all wrong and it's indeed subject to change, but if you look at it as "there's a 80-90% chance of this happening", why wouldn't you prepare? Power outages alone kill people. If you think every hospital ever has cutting-edge backup generators that are full-proof, you're dead wrong. We rely more on electricity than we ever have before and there *will* be deaths if there's a huge, widespread power outage.

None of this may even happen, but it's not gonna hurt to stock up on a bit of food. It's not exact science but it's usually pretty damn close.

NoiseHERO
Oct 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
I'm a registered NWS storm spotter

Whaaaaahhh that sounds so coool /Japanese kid voice

N-not that I'm impressed or anything.

(But really what's a NWS storm spotte- Augh I'll just google it.)

Heskett
Oct 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
Once again, not worried here, but then again I NEVER believe anything that's told by weather forcasters. They say it's going to be sunny, it rains. They say it rains, we get sun. And they never said ANYTHING about last Halloweens snow. So why should I be worried about a little rain and wind that will, most likely, change course again anyway?

It's like what I tell people about doomsayers. We are mankind. We can no more predict the future than we can predict the weather.

That and the top 4 types of people I say are full of shit, not in any order, are politicians, psychics, weatherpeople and religious leaders. But that's a different argument for a different day.

When Irene last year suddenly weakened to a Cat 1 from a Cat 3, everyone was like "oh it's just a cat 1 pishaw!". Hurricane Irene is the 5th costliest Atlantic Hurricane and most of it's damage occurred when it struck the Northeast as a strong tropical storm. Hurricanes should be taken seriously, every time.

CelestialBlade
Oct 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
Whaaaaahhh that sounds so coool /Japanese kid voice

N-not that I'm impressed or anything.

(But really what's a NWS storm spotte- Augh I'll just google it.)
You forgot "SUUUUUUGOOOOOOOIIIIIIIII-NAAAAA!!!!"

Basically I'm trained to watch radar to locally predict severe weather and I relay visual observations during and after storms to the local National Weather Service branch. These get turned into official storm reports pending surveys and our reports often get relayed via local news broadcasts too. It's also more data for the NWS to use to improve the science as a whole. Big passion of mine.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry, people. I guess I've seen so many storms fizzle out and be truly nothing that they just don;t seem to faze me anymore.

All those warning, those panicing people clearing out the storefronts and nothing real happening? I know Irene did a little damage. I live in a town a few miles from some real flooding. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone. I'm only saying that I feel it's going to be a big let down as usual.

Things like this don;t faze me like I said.

gigawuts
Oct 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Oh, yeah, in that case it is. I thought you were saying nothing would happen at all besides a normal storm.

Things will happen, but the media will overhype it like it usually does. It will not be as bad as many people expect, at least not in their area.

The issue is, the media likes to overhype it to get the point across, but that's counterproductive. After only a couple years, people start considering the overreacting to be normal, and when something big ACTUALLY happens they're expecting more of the same.

Thing is, as far as storms go, this is a pretty bizarre one. Just prepare anyway. Don't go clearing shelves, but do your food shopping before it happens, and maybe pick up more canned beans than normal. Get the good stuff! Busch's is always pretty great. Just have stuff around, just in case.

NoiseHERO
Oct 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
The news who cried wolf...

Hurricane wolf...! e_e

CelestialBlade
Oct 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mandatory evacuations taking place in NYC right now, and the subway system will be shut down by 7pm. Going to be some massive storm surge when this storm comes ashore, so this is good to see. Can't stress this enough: expect the worst and play it safe if you're in the northeast US. Forecast is playing out thus far.

AC9breaker
Oct 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Guess I won't be renewing my license tomorrow. =/

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 29, 2012, 02:32 AM
Ask any actual meteorologist about "infallible forecasting" and they're just going to laugh at you. That's all media-talk to get you to watch their station, there is no such thing as perfect forecasting right now.

Here's to hoping in 3 years we have it down to the second ala Back to the Future part 2.

Anyway I'm pretty much ground zero for where it's going to hit in New Jersey. I'm a few miles from the ocean but I'm ready to go if an evacuation is ordered for my area.

RagolianHunter
Oct 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Wrong section me bad.

Natsuma
Oct 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
I didn't know this forum was American.
Anyway, be careful with that hurricane.

Galax
Oct 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
I didn't know you needed to be American to wish an American luck or to be posting on an American forum to wish an American luck. Manners aren't based on where you live.

Although, you might want to post this in an offtopic board Ragolian - Just a heads up.

Coatl
Oct 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Thank you. :3

BIG OLAF
Oct 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
This should be in Off Topic. Even though there's already a topic in Off Topic for it. Good effort, however.

Shirai
Oct 29, 2012, 09:57 AM
Thank you o:

gigawuts
Oct 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
I didn't know this forum was American.
Anyway, be careful with that hurricane.

Wow.

I'd say to stay classy, but the sarcasm might fly over your head.

I'd say that only on the internet can good intentions be met with that kind of response, but we all know that isn't even true.

Griffin
Oct 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Well, I got my wish. No work today due to inclement weather. But how selfish that might have been since a few people might not survive this. I personally thank God I'm not in New Jersey anymore.

Bael
Oct 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
not gonna hit me, I'm too far south. But we are certainly getting a lot of wind here...even out of the zone. my heart goes to the people who are in Virginia to New York cuz they gonna get swallowed alive.

Wyndham
Oct 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Guess I won't be renewing my license tomorrow. =/

And I guess I can't pick up my Assassin's Creed Vita bundle tomorrow.

Link1275
Oct 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Just buy batteries and plug in any backup power supply systems you have. That's what I do. Where I live now we're not really hit hard, but I've lived in areas that were utterly wrecked before. I'm talking streets flooding four feet (that's when we realized why houses were built on man-made hills), screen enclosures being ripped out of the cement and thrown into neighbors' pools, metal shutters being literally shorn right off the side of a house and the storm breaking in the windows, etc.

My best advice? Stay away from trees and power lines and especially trees near power lines - the trees you guys have don't normally deal with these kinds of storms and some WILL be knocked down - and get some 3 or 5 gallon jugs of purified water like you see at walmart or costco/bj's/sam's club/etc. It's a cheap investment, most of the cash is spent on the bottle itself.

And get some stuff for s'mores and beer. Propane/coal too, then some propane/coal accessories like a barbecue maybe. And canned food. A week's worth or more.

And if you have a generator? Do not. Do not. DO. NOT. Leave that shit in your fucking house when it's running. Put it in the garage, leave the garage open a bit, and seal the door to your house if you must. DO NOT LEAVE THAT IN YOUR HOUSE. You might think every floridian knows the drill right? Hell no. Every fucking storm season some dumb fuck dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. They're usually ones that have lived here their entire lives. Idiots.

That all said most of you guys should be fine. Even the worst storms only usually kill stupid people that either refuse to evacuate an area, decide to go swimming in the torrential rain, want to see why that power line is flailing about (they actually do do that, so you should really back the fuck off), think very big very old trees make for great cover, or think snuggling up next to a generator to keep warm is an awesome idea. Most storms don't actually result in many deaths in florida because we know the drill and (usually) have infrastructure designed to withstand it - but that's the problem, new england doesn't have building codes for all that.

When it comes to freak once-in-a-century storms, especially two in as many years, it's better to overreact and prepare for the apocalypse than underreact and run out of food in just 3 days.

In an emergency, forget the beer. Beer dehydrates you. You will also want 2-3 weeks of food just in case. It would be best to keep a year of food on hand 24/7 though(earthquakes, hurricanes, invasions, tsunamis, etc. can happen fast and not everyone will have food...). Oh yeah, and about 10-20 gallons of water.

gigawuts
Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
In an emergency, forget the beer. Beer dehydrates you. You will also want 2-3 weeks of food just in case. It would be best to keep a year of food on hand 24/7 though(earthquakes, hurricanes, invasions, tsunamis, etc. can happen fast and not everyone will have food...). Oh yeah, and about 10-20 gallons of water.

That was a joke. This is actually starting to look even worse than I expected.

But hey you know it's just some rain and wind what can water and air do right guys? Right? Guys? Hey guys? What has water or air ever done to kill people? Guys?

Yeah batton down the hatches for this one. People are already dying from power failures. They're expecting power failures as far inland as wisconsin of all damn places, and 30 foot waves (seriously) in chicago (no, seriously, holy fuck).

Blue-Hawk
Oct 29, 2012, 12:52 PM

But hey you know it's just some rain and wind what can water and air do right guys? Right? Guys? Hey guys? What has water or air ever done to kill people? Guys?

Yeah batton down the hatches for this one. People are already dying from power failures. They're expecting power failures as far inland as wisconsin of all damn places, and 30 foot waves (seriously) in chicago (no, seriously, holy fuck).

Great Lakes up there, remember?

gigawuts
Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
A hurricane causing 30 foot waves in the great lakes is kind of unusual.

CelestialBlade
Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, each forecast model only looks worse. We're expecting gusts of 60mph here in Kentucky on Tuesday but fortunately we're *just barely* going to avoid the snow field according to current forecast. There's already been a lot of flooding and storm surge is already beginning to impact NYC. I really really hope everyone is taking appropriate precaution because it's about to get real.

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just really windy/rainy here so far in NY...

Not that I'm having that "disappointed, hurricanes sound cool" mentality.

I don't have "work" to get days off from. So it's really just can't-go-outside-in-general-weather. >_>

gigawuts
Oct 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
No, seriously. I've been through storms that were said to be bad, but weren't. I've also been through storms that were said to be bad, and were. Believe me when I say this - when it's not as bad as they say it's a walk in the park, but when it is as bad as they say it seems like your best preparations still aren't enough. Even when houses aren't knocked over they can still be rendered unlivable based on legal codes due to damages, causing people to lose their homes. This shit is a whole lot more than the sensationalist images shown on the TV.

If you're in the projected shitstorm zone get your shit in order. Now. This is looking like it'll be katrina all over again if people don't prepare properly. Honestly the issue with katrina was the storm surge was devastating and wrecked the levies, and people didn't fucking listen when they were told to either prepare or evacuate - ignorers of the latter usually also being ignorers of the former as well.

If your area is evacuating, don't be a fucking moron. Evacuate. If you've never had a hurricane in a hurricane-prone area, you've never had a real hurricane at all. What you've experienced in the past is what we consider an irritating drive to work. If you're not evacuating but still expecting to get hit hard, go get food, go get water, and go get batteries. Oh, and do your laundry while you still can.

Boy I can't wait until Romney slashes fema, won't that be a hoot if these worse-by-the-year storms keep up.

edit: The year after I moved from my last residence, it was hit with 4-5 feet of water. Our old house was on an elevated hill - our neighbors' houses were not. They lost their homes while in a shelter. This shit's serious. Some people die if they don't evacuate. Some people who do still lose everything they own. Do not mess with nature. I can not emphasize this enough. I don't care if you're convinced or not, you go out and you prepare.

CelestialBlade
Oct 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
Gigawuts> Great message. Stuff like that is why I do what I do. It's just not worth taking chances on.

Link1275
Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 PM

Sounds bad. Glad I live where we only have to worry about one slight fault shifting and causing the entire area to flood by breaking all of the upper country dams, by causing a chain effect earthquake.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
I didn't know you needed to be American to wish an American luck or to be posting on an American forum to wish an American luck. Manners aren't based on where you live.

Although, you might want to post this in an offtopic board Ragolian - Just a heads up.

and here is a person with the true spirit that founded America in his/her heart!!!+^_^+
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w363/ChikTikka/PSO2%20Miscellaneous/Untitled-2.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
also, inb4OffTopicmove +^_^+

CelestialBlade
Oct 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
Holy fuck. This thing hasn't even made landfall and already it's flooding JFK airport and the FDR, and made a goddamn crane on a skyscraper collapse o_o I think this is officially a very serious situation, I dread to think what's next...

Live updates here: http://t.co/miNYBQ7f

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSQuxh3FYc

Also loving how people are trying to get information... you know incase they could possibly be within sudden death range.

And every website so far is spamming fucking commercials.

Sayara
Oct 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
You sound surprised.

Tianren
Oct 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Even though I was in Florida in 2004 when Charley hit, Sandy is a wee bit of an issue for me so far. Roads are flooded, trees are down, power outages in parts of Pennsylvania... And it hasn't even hit us fully yet. Cripes, I get to go to work during it too.

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
You sound surprised.

N-no I don't!

BAKA!

CelestialBlade
Oct 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
N-no I don't!

BAKA!
Geez, you'll tsun with ANYONE, won't you :l *folds arms and flips hair*

Guy with the horse head caught me off guard, wow :lol:

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
Geez, you'll tsun with ANYONE, won't you :l *folds arms and flips hair*

Guy with the horse head caught me off guard, wow :lol:

I bought my older brother that same exact mask for his birthday... <_>

And I only mean it when I tsun with you, baka! /pouts

Ami
Oct 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hurricane Sandy Horse Mask Guy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSQuxh3FYc)

Also loving how people are trying to get information... you know incase they could possibly be within sudden death range.

And every website so far is spamming fucking commercials.
You know what's so bad about that? I probably know where that's at. Living so close to DC and all. Wooo?

AC9breaker
Oct 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
So anyone in Jersey up for flying a kite with me? :wacko:

Link1275
Oct 29, 2012, 05:27 PM
Even though I was in Florida in 2004 when Charley hit, Sandy is a wee bit of an issue for me so far. Roads are flooded, trees are down, power outages in parts of Pennsylvania... And it hasn't even hit us fully yet. Cripes, I get to go to work during it too.

Isn't it unlawful for an employer to make an employee work in these conditions yet?
You might want to bring some stuff to do that doesn't use electricity...

Mokyu
Oct 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
No power but i still have internet...

Sinue_v2
Oct 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
You know what's so bad about that? I probably know where that's at. Living so close to DC and all. Wooo?

Yeah, it makes sense to see a horse's head close to DC. After all, where there are horses heads, the horses asses can't be far behind.

I never really understood much of the hubbub surrounding Hurricanes. At least you can see those coming and prepare, or get the hell out of the way. I live on the shirtcuff of tornado alley, and - while actually being affected by any given tornado is rare - they can develop in mere moments - in the dead of night when you can't see it coming, or while you're sleeping - and destroy everything in it's path before you even realize what happened.

Yeah, Hurricanes are more damaging over a large area... but tornadoes are infinitely more frightening.

Powder Keg
Oct 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Tons of power outages around here. Mine's still holding up with a few nearby streets out, but lots of flickering. The wind is rough here, but that's about it.

Not nearly as bad as most people thought it was going to be, but still dangerous if you're not careful.

NoiseHERO
Oct 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
Yeeeaaaahhhh tornado's have always sounded way more fucked up to... (almost hard to believe something like it exists, since I've never seen one.)

CelestialBlade
Oct 30, 2012, 04:27 AM
Tornadoes are definitely frightening, but so amazingly beautiful at the same time. Those are basically the main thing I track during severe weather events because warning times can be so little, and anything extra I can provide could potentially save lives. We usually get at least two-three widespread tornado events here per year.

gigawuts
Oct 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
Nothing like tornado warnings during a hurricane amirite.

Green skies are creepy.

Hope everyone's doing well. I'm hearing about some pretty bad flooding.

Alucard V
Oct 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
I made it though alright. Lost power for about a hour or so that's about it.

Ami
Oct 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm okay, lights flickered. Nothing more. It's just now balls cold D:

Alucard V
Oct 30, 2012, 11:16 AM
It's just now balls cold D:

I here yea.
Brrrr.....

Sayara
Oct 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
It breeezed past us,
over hyping DC/MD news casters down here blew it again. Details at fuck:you
- grocery retails

gigawuts
Oct 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
It breeezed past us,
- grocery retails

Tell that to the people whose homes have already been wrecked by this storm.

This is the mentality that sensationalist news brings. People begin to feel like these things don't cause damage, when the reality is they just haven't caused damage where you live.

Alucard V
Oct 30, 2012, 11:28 AM
Maybe it was a act of God.
Like the smiting Sodom and Gomorrah but for New Jersey.

If that's the case, Good Job God.
Let hope they never make a Reality TV show again.

NoiseHERO
Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 AM

OF COURSE!!

Ami
Oct 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
It breeezed past us,
- grocery retails
*still can't get over that you are relatively nearby @~@*

Sayara
Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Tell that to the people whose homes have already been wrecked by this storm.

This is the mentality that sensationalist news brings. People begin to feel like these things don't cause damage, when the reality is they just haven't caused damage where you live.

Now i'm not saying that it didn't do anything but the way people down here were treating this storm was just asinine.
Especially when other storms (consdiered severe) had caused far worse damage than this storm did /in our area/. (i was the horse head guy)not really

gigawuts
Oct 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Now i'm not saying that it didn't do anything but the way people down here were treating this storm was just asinine.

Well, I don't know how they were treating it there, or even on 24 hours new networks. I watch the weather channel for this stuff. They send people to the actual place where the storm will hit. When there's so much sand washed inland that it covers a parking meter poll up to the parking meter itself, and then there's four to five feet of water on top of that, I consider that something to be extremely worried about.

Even with all the OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING cries I'm sure major news networks did, many people still stayed home. And what did they have to say after calling for evacuation, when the police showed up with news reporters in tow? "I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS GOING TO BE THIS BAD."

WELL WE TOLD YOU IT WAS GOING TO BE THIS BAD YOU JUST DON'T FUCKING LISTEN YOU COLOSSAL FUCKING MORON ;AOUDSGB;IUYADSVGB;IADUYVFGPIUYAEDBVPHGAEYBVDAFHBA DUH

Palle
Oct 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
Well, my family survived. Dad did a nice job of sealing the foundation, apparently, as the basement did not flood in spite of the rainfall. Was a bit worried when I spoke to them last night.

EvilMag
Oct 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
Take that Sandy Cheeks!

Sexy_Raine
Oct 30, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm thankful my part of Queens in on higher land but there was still damage from knocked over trees. I've been to Rockaway Beach many times usually around B98st to B106st and they had it really bad from Sandy, I couldn't believe part of the boardwalk were destroyed. Some houses over there were on fire too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoTaSZ0ust0

It's pretty tragic that many Rockaway residents had their homes destroyed.

Sayara
Oct 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
Not sure if this was related to sandy but jesus christ this;'d be horrifyin to see in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqYZ433TeQ

AC9breaker
Oct 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
Soooo, Powers just came back on. Nothing serious happened, random broken window from a branch. What I'd miss gaiz???

Link1275
Oct 30, 2012, 07:37 PM

I'd prefer to say that this is more likely aimed at NYC myself.

Not sure if this was related to sandy but jesus christ this;'d be horrifyin to see in person.
Sandy_ConEd Explosion - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqYZ433TeQ)
A few transformers blew?

Sinue_v2
Oct 30, 2012, 08:04 PM

I think that would only serve to reinforce my point that if god exists, he the ultimate uber-galactic douchbag. Love your neighbors, but fuck Canaanites and anyone from New Jersey, eh? Admittedly, I was kind of hoping to see some video of Snooky being washed out to sea on a piece of flotsam, screaming helplessly as she fades into the distance. That would have just brightened up my day immensely.

As for the "Cry Wolf" effect. This just goes to show that hindsight is 20/20, and that going into this storm - nobody was really sure just how the system would develop. This was kind of unprecedented in modern meteorological history. It's wise to err on the side of caution, which the news media will often take as "err on the side of sensationalism". They are trying to sell you a product, after all. So just because you'd be wise to not bet on what the news media has to say, it is no excuse for complacency.

Also... with all of the flooding in NY, I wonder how the Gowanus Canal is doing? I remember watching a video of the sewage backflow out of Brooklyn into Jersey after a particularly nasty storm a few years back. I can't imagine how it (failed to) handle Sandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWOOqPAEgs

Heskett
Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
Damages from Sandy are estimated upwards to $20 billion, which would make it the 5th costliest Atlantic hurricane on record.

gigawuts
Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
I expect that number to fall and rise in the coming weeks, but in a few years when that number is more refined I expect it to be much higher. And that would be initial damages, I'm not counting long term effects on local economies, families being forced to move, etc.

This storm wasn't even that bad of a hurricane, but that isn't what made it dangerous. What made it dangerous was the lack of preparedness, buildings not being built to hurricane codes, the abundance of complacency, the mentality of untouchability, and just the landscape itself such as hills and trees that aren't typically subjected to these kinds of forces all meant this would be very bad. Unfortunately, I was right. Maybe more people will take this sort of thing seriously in the future.

All you see on the news is people saying they didn't think it would be this bad, and they can't believe it happened to them. Well fuck, when everyone's telling you a storm is going to be dangerous and to get the fuck out of dodge you'd think they'd get the idea, but no. It takes people dying and houses being destroyed in their neighborhood for gears to turn in some peoples' heads.

The only thing more infuriating than the damage this has caused is how many lives could have been saved if they'd just fucking listen.

edit: Actually, even more infuriating than that is when the next major disaster strikes somewhere else, and people are told to get prepared, they'll be exactly as belligerent that they've seen it all and just aren't convinced that water can do much damage to them where they live because it hasn't happened before.