PDA

View Full Version : Game anyone playing ragnarok?

reala728
Nov 2, 2012, 04:00 PM
thats ragnarok odyssey. i figure its similar enough to pso in the gameplay area to get some buzz here. i just got it yesterday and cant put it down so it'll be a good distraction until pso2 hits vita in the west (if it even does, of course).

anyways, if anyone is interested in partying up my psn is: reala728

edit: room and password info for anyone looking for help
room name: pso-w
passowrod: star
(if room name is taken and/or full just add 2, 3, 4, etc. after pso-w)

Mantiskilla
Nov 2, 2012, 10:16 PM
I sent a request. psn: Mantiskilla. Haven't even started the game yet so well, uh there ya go

reala728
Nov 3, 2012, 01:16 AM
sweet, added. message me whenever, im coming up on the halfway point but will gladly help out newer guys! anyone else? i swear this is the closest it'll get for a while, since they dont wanna put pspo2 on psn...

Xefi
Nov 3, 2012, 01:30 AM
my psn: Zefiris
i'll probably end up playing with Mr. Mantis more rather. the game is rather addicting
and fun. i'm at the end of chapter 6 i think. i'm kind of stuck fighting some huge icy dood.
i got owned pretty badly...lol.

here he is. he is actually pretty big. took me about 4-5 jumps to get to his shoulder. i wasnt
able to beat him though. Grendel (huge gorilla in chap. 5-9) was nothing compare to this guy. >>;
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/KtmQ3.jpg[/spoiler-box]
my favorite zone in the game.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/Pz34a.jpg[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/A5HTm.jpg[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/HnHHf.jpg[/spoiler-box]
i must admit. the assassin female is just too sexy. ^^;
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/XtT74.jpg[/spoiler-box]

that icy dood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRILHZupYQ

pretty neat trailer of the game if anyone interested in picking up this game.
[spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDfTLwjzbs[/spoiler-box]

Keii
Nov 3, 2012, 08:37 AM
Played the Japanese version for quite long when it came out, but finished it after the online patch. Still have my 70 RO multiplayer screenshots folder if anyone's interested -> link (http://keii.minus.com/mLIKnyOnr).

reala728
Nov 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
added you xefi, still midway through chapter 5 now though.
and keii im guessing the jap version doesnt allow partying with other regions haha it sounds like your kinda over it anyways by now.

Weeaboolits
Nov 3, 2012, 06:33 PM
I just got it like yesterday, so I'm not very far yet, my PSN is Ronin_Cooper.

Keii
Nov 4, 2012, 02:53 AM
added you xefi, still midway through chapter 5 now though.
and keii im guessing the jap version doesnt allow partying with other regions haha it sounds like your kinda over it anyways by now.
Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that there's no cross-version mp. ^^;

Noblewine
Nov 4, 2012, 06:31 PM
I downloaded Ragnarok and tried to install it but I can't get it to play. I'm looking for people to run with while I goof off on my free time. I saw an ad for Ragnarok: Odyssy on an issue of PSM (hate how they renamed it though). I went to youtube to watch some videos and it looks fun but I am a little undecided on whether or not to buy a PS Vita since they are kinda expensive.
I'm probably planning to stick with just Ragnarok online instead.

reala728
Nov 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
I just got it like yesterday, so I'm not very far yet, my PSN is Ronin_Cooper.
sweet, added. i like to go back and help out lower level guys once in a while so i can party up with you sometime. i just wish they had a better room system so connect with friends quicker...

I downloaded Ragnarok and tried to install it but I can't get it to play. I'm looking for people to run with while I goof off on my free time. I saw an ad for Ragnarok: Odyssy on an issue of PSM (hate how they renamed it though). I went to youtube to watch some videos and it looks fun but I am a little undecided on whether or not to buy a PS Vita since they are kinda expensive.
I'm probably planning to stick with just Ragnarok online instead.
yeah ragnarok online is more traditional of an mmo so its totally different. odyssy is more like phantasy star meets monster hunter. personally i wouldnt say its worth getting a vita just for it, but if you decide to get one some day its definitely worth the $40.

Xefi
Nov 5, 2012, 05:39 PM
beaten the story mode in the last 2-3 days. now i'm just farming some
classy cloth in the Sogart Desert to upgrade my other armors. i'm trying to
find a better dagger as well with level 5 critical chance and level 5 atk.

been farming on one of that rank 10 extra mission; the one with 2x Skolls as the
bosses. most of the extra missions are VERY brutal. i dont see how i can even beat
any of them rank 10 ones. the bosses didnt give me much problems, but when they
summon out their minions...dear god.

also, some of the mission on chapter 9 were ridiculous. having to beat 100 hill giants
in 20 min. and in a cramp little area really was FUN. i wonder whos genius idea that
thought of that? lol. and i'm not looking forward to fighting 100 hill giants Chief either.
i dont know why they only give you 20 min. for these missions; i barely made the deadline
and almost rage quit because fighting them in small area really suck a lot of balls.

anyways, if you guys planning to make a game room online, please post them here with password. if i see
that game name while playing online, i'll join in for the fun and help out or just tagging along
to kill some stuffs.

NOTE: you'll have to log in to see the picture or not. so....these giants...i really enjoy running around
in circle while fighting them. ^^;
[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2429&pictureid=32140[/spoiler-box]

EDIT: i usually play about 6 P.M. mountain time (LA) during the weekdays. and i dont really have a life on the
weekend, so you can see me on a lot during the weekend. :penguin:

reala728
Nov 5, 2012, 08:18 PM
ugh the giants and so freakin annoying now.. too many quests revolving around them, but i changed from swordwarrior to assassin to change things up a bit. anyways im only at 7-3 now so no dice on those quests yet haha.

but what the heck, we might as well establish a forum room and password now so we know where to go for some real help.

room name: pso-w
passowrod: star
(if room name is taken and/or full just add 2, 3, 4, etc. after pso-w)

Xefi
Nov 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
^ cool. if i see the name, i'll join in for some fun. you'll love those giants because
you're gonna be killing 100 of them 3 times in a roll. also, my hands got really numb
after back to back with those missions with the giants. i tell ya, whoever made up those
missions are real sadist. ^^;

anyways, i tried out online today with random folks. is it me or does the online lag so much?
i think it was their connection or something, but i didnt have a single game where there wasn't
any major lag. and it doesnt help much that everyone's life is share.
so if someone screw up and die 3 times....mission fail.

then i went back playing offline. ah, no lag at all. ^ ^
plus, playing solo seems a lot easier...lol. except for missisons that have you in a cramp room
with HILL GIANTS.

another day, another fail. i've farm this mission forever for the classy cloth and better daggers,
but i have never beaten it. i beaten the first baby Skoll, but the real Skoll here, i got owned!
i did a major damage to the real Skoll and use up all my potions and life....but that's still not enough.
this rank 10 extra mission is kicking my @sses...lol. and if you have more people to
join in, this mission will probably become even more harder since everyone's make mistakes.
and sharing lives not gonna help it here. but anyways, i'll continue farming here until i get
better weapons. i haven't change armor since; i only need 6 more classy cloth to have the
other armor set ready to be equipped. (gonna take some time since boxes drop dont like me much)
[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2429&pictureid=32166[/spoiler-box]

EDIT: man, what do i have to kill to be super powerful like this dood here. ^^;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTgvqnve1A

reala728
Nov 6, 2012, 03:10 AM
online is hit and miss depending on others connections. i've been in games that played just as smoothly as if it was solo and some where i moved about 5 steps in a minute.. it sucks cause one bad connection can ruin the room :/

blace
Nov 6, 2012, 03:18 AM
I looked into the game and sadly none of the stores within 5 miles of my home carry it except for some shady areas near downtown Denver.

I bought the game off PSN as I've been craving a MH style game.

darkante
Nov 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
Aww, itīs only for Vita?
I like to see more of these type of games on the 3DS.

Heroes of Ruin (3DS) had the general idea of a hack&slash, but no fricking replayability with no challenge whatsoever at the end.
So fricking stupid, every other hack&slash i know had at least a Hard mode or some drive after you beat it.

Keiko_Seisha
Nov 6, 2012, 09:31 PM
Ehhh, why not post. I don't normally play Sword Warrior but I feel so OP when playing as one with my set up. I tend to play Hunter or Cleric, mostly Cleric.

[spoiler-box]http://i47.tinypic.com/2wqrc4h.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Noblewine
Nov 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
yeah ragnarok online is more traditional of an mmo so its totally different. odyssy is more like phantasy star meets monster hunter. personally i wouldnt say its worth getting a vita just for it, but if you decide to get one some day its definitely worth the $40.

I'll probably stick with it then. I can't get the game to launch though for some reason and probably need to contact a gm about the problem.

DayDreamer
Nov 11, 2012, 02:06 AM
Should i pick this up or not? I've been hearing so many mixed opinions about it. This Mh/Ps style it has interests me alot but is it really worth the money?

blace
Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 AM
Should i pick this up or not? I've been hearing so many mixed opinions about it. This Mh/Ps style it has interests me alot but is it really worth the money?
It's a bit hard to find(for me anyway), and can be bought off PSN. The drawback is that the clothes do pretty much nothing, but purely for cosmetic purposes only. The game feels easier in comparision to MH or PS. The online mode has a system similar to MH where you meet other players in a tavern, and like the PSP series, namely PSP2/i, each players connection can hinder the experience, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

If you pull off a combo, you'll end up stunning enemies and most attacks end up being flashy and end up hitting nothing since you already knocked them 20 feet away from you. The only difficult part of the game is the large number of mobs. They're all pretty weak, but they all rush on you and if you're not playing as sword or cleric you're pretty much screwed.

Mantiskilla
Nov 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Figured I would post my character pic on here; however, im not very far into the game (chp 3). I prefer the hammer over the sword and ranger class (haven't bothered to mess with other ones)

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/Mantiskilla78/Rganarok1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/Mantiskilla78/Ragnarok2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
I picked up the game I had on reserve when I got back from my vacation. (Yeah, when they moved the release date, they moved it to a time during my vacation away from home) So I'm a bit behind on this one. I'm doing the Chapter 3 missions now with my Cleric. Molly Welsh.

reala728
Nov 13, 2012, 12:05 AM

i say go for it if your into MH and PS since its so similar and nothing else on the vita really compares at the moment. it definitely has its flaws and can be frustrating, but as a portable game i give it a pass cause its easier to break up sessions.

and im on chapter 9 now.. my god if the mobs get to you early on i suggest you just stay in early chapters and continue grinding for loot...

Akaimizu
Nov 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
I consider this game to sort of be a hybrid. It has the Monster Hunter mentality of how it looks when you organize missions. The classic MH desk-mission format. The idea that some of your missions are to get a certain amount of an item instead of just a monster hunt. The initial idea that there is no regular aspect of EXP collection towards levelling up, and that you mainly collect materials and rewards to be able to have stores craft your items for you. Items which play a big part in your character abilities.

However, it is much more like a standard Dungeon Hacker in the aspect of taking down enemies, bosses, and the like. This game has Lock-on, but an absense of health bars. However, this mechanic is also the compromise as well. Monsters still technically don't really show it in their movements and capabilities *how* hurt they are unlike Monster Hunter, which is pretty incredibly detailed when it comes to the various deformations of a large monster in both looks, behavior, and in their movement animation.

This game offers no level of detail like that with the exception of certain armors, or items you might be able to break on a monster so that you lower the defense of that location. The same way that is true for some monsters in the Phantasy Star Online universe ever since there was a PSO game. How you *really* tell monster damage is the compromise made here in the lock-on system. Lock-on Targetting puts a circle on the monster or the area of the monster you want to focus on, as well as handles the camera focus. However, it goes from white to deep red to tell you how far gone is the opponent's health. So while it isn't a lifebar showing you exact percentages or numbers left, it is a visual cue as to how far you've taken them down. Since you still see your damage numbers, you may be able to do some math to figure it out.

Also, Bosses, for the most part, aren't quite so deadly in a good number of attacks. Like PSO bosses, they often have a Bread and Butter high damage move or two, but the rest aren't so bad. Plus there is no weapon wear-and-tear based on the use of the weapon and the hardness of the material that weapon is hitting. So unlike MH, all you need to do it hit an open spot or break the armor to weaken that area and you can drill on it doing full damage (with the standard randomized element). Whereas in Monster Hunter, you need to spend a lot more time analyzing the monster's habits so that you can even survive the fight, and then work in a pattern to its pattern in order to hit the most vulnerable AND the least armored spots in order to get the fastest times (or to kill it within the time-limit at all).

So bosses tend to only be hard in the typical Dungeon Crawler (tough bosses) way, not so much in the Monster Hunter way. It's a lot less about learning them *very* well as an MH is.

Resource gathering, the Monster Hunter way, is still just for Monster Hunter. This games doesn't have any like that. No mining, no fishing, no picking of plants. No. Just like the traditional Dungeon Hacker, all loot of any kind comes from killing monsters, Smashing open boxes, and completion rewards.

All of this can be good or bad for you, depending on how you look at it. It is a game that portrays some Monster Hunter elements, while retaining a lot of elements more reserved for the classic Dungeon Hacker style of gameplay. Given the popularity of various games, there's a large audience for both differing sub-genres of a loot game. The *simulation* aspects of Monster Hunter are not here, just to let you know.

New aspects are the vertical aspect of the game, in which you can maintain plenty of air and launch a full on aerial strike with your characters. (More on that as you unlock your better air abilities after a couple of full Chapters of gaming)

Which brings us to the level up system. Unlike MH, you still actually level up, but it isn't in the traditional Dungeon Hacker way. Instead, it actually is done as you complete chapters. In effect, the classification (in name only) resembles your Monster Hunter levels (which you typically only get with the multiplayer modes on those games). With each Chapter you close (which consist of a group of missions, 9-11 or so) your character actually gets a permanent boost to all their stats, effectively acting as a Level-up based on which chapter you've personally reached.

Also, as you complete new missions to complete chapters, more items become available to the shops, and wider selections of resources drop from upper chapter levels. This acts as sort of a way to grant you better outfits, and higher equipment enhancements available by completing your chapters. With the progression to level up, it controls that you get access to better stuff. Nothing special, just citing this is the way they do it.

All in all, it's a pretty nice game, and is technically the best Dungeon Crawler the Vita has right now. With the lack of PSP2 support on the new system, it is the easy pick up for those wishing for some good multiplayer Dungeon Hacking on the Vita. It offers sort of a hybrid experience between Monster Hunter and classic Dungeon Hacker, allows for some fair and lengthy item/material hunts. And unlike some reviews have wrongly accused the game for, it does give you a great indication of what drops what for every item you currently have. When you look at any item, it also tells you where it drops from allowing you to catalogue what you need to hunt and/or simply farm more of the same item. The combat action is quite over-the-top for the genre, which is actually a nice twist. In fact, those familiar with the very underappreciated Otogi series on Xbox, will see that it almost borrows heavily from the over-the-top combat it had in terms of how it compares to Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online.

(tldr version) It's a nice Dungeon Hacker Romp that borrows certain setup patterns like Monster Hunter, but all in all plays a lot more like a classic Dungeon Hacker in practice. Definitely the best of its kind, so far, on the Vita. Until Phantasy Star Online 2 comes to likely take the throne, this offers a lot better of a single/online-multiplayer experience than Dungeon Hunter does, currently, on the system and what most games of its genre did on the PSP sans Phantasy Star. Especially since while Monster Hunter is great, this game does very little to BE a Monster Hunter game even with the mission selection and mission start looking just like Monster Hunter. Removing the traditional level-up aspect was the only other approach to differ it from the Dungeon Hacker, but it's still in there utilizing a different goal to get it.

LarienTiwele
Nov 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
I play as well - only up to 5-9 at the moment though, as no groups yet have been able to take out Grendel and such and I've had crappy luck on party members overall ;;.

Character: Larien

reala728
Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
grendel is a pushover at this point for me.. i took it on to help some random person, just the two of us and we got it in a couple min. start a room with the name and stuff and i'll help.

LarienTiwele
Nov 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Using the name etc from front page to make it easier.