PDA

View Full Version : Is this game a prequel?

Xevioso
Nov 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi, sorry. I'm new to the Phantasy Star series, (This being my first game) so I really don't know much about the storyline. I tried reading through wikis, but I'm left confused. Is this a beginning to the entire series or just the Online/Universe games?

Also, why are the allies in this game so useless? :P

DoctorShanks
Nov 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it's a prequel. I guess that's what the Zero implies. My default knowledge on this game fades me at the moment, but someone else should be able to answer why it is a prequel better than me. If you've finished the game, go attempt the second Dark Shrine quest; it has quite a bit of valuable info :)

As for the allies, I feel like if they were any stronger, you'd be able to hide behind them and let them do all the work. But yeah, you're right :P The only thing they're good for is being a meatshield. Sarisa heals once in a while, and if you main a CAST, then Kai can provide Shifta. Ogi is pretty decent, but I didn't bring him along in the gun-resistance areas (namely, Paru and Gurhacia) Reve has no defense, and dies more often than any other ally in my experiences.

Link1275
Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
PSZ is what happened to the people that didn't get to go to Ragol I think. It could also tie into PS I-IV, or PSU somehow though...

FOODFOOD
Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
There's a few people on here that know a lot about all the plots, and can go in depth pretty far about how it's connected with the others.

But yes, it is a prequel. I'll see if I can dig up an old thread that talks about it.

EDIT: Here you go, he's the last one we talked about.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193710&highlight=story

If you play PSO Ep 1-4, PSZ takes place a few hundred years before on a planet called Coral. Eventually, they started the Pioneer project, noticing that Coral would not last forever. PSO ep 1 starts you out on Pioneer II, with bits and pieces of the story of Pioneer I, Red Ring Rico and the first visits to Ragol. Also, it seems like PSZ takes place a few hundred years after the events of Phantasy Star II, I believe.

Link1275
Nov 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
There's a few people on here that know a lot about all the plots, and can go in depth pretty far about how it's connected with the others.

But yes, it is a prequel. I'll see if I can dig up an old thread that talks about it.

If you play PSO Ep 1-4, PSZ takes place a few hundred years before on a planet called Coral. Eventually, they started the Pioneer project, noticing that Coral would not last forever. PSO ep 1 starts you out on Pioneer II, with bits and pieces of the story of Pioneer I, Red Ring Rico and the first visits to Ragol. Also, it seems like PSZ takes place a few hundred years after the events of Phantasy Star II, I believe.
I wouldn't have thought that PSO happened after PSZ.

Xevioso
Nov 13, 2012, 02:42 PM

Wow. That is a lot to take in, but it definitely helps! Thanks.

Btw how did that Norco guy take pictures from his DS?

As for the allies, I feel like if they were any stronger, you'd be able to hide behind them and let them do all the work. But yeah, you're right :P The only thing they're good for is being a meatshield. Sarisa heals once in a while, and if you main a CAST, then Kai can provide Shifta. Ogi is pretty decent, but I didn't bring him along in the gun-resistance areas (namely, Paru and Gurhacia)

I don't know about Ogi. He and the others don't do more than 19% damage it seems. But he does out live Kai and Sarisa at least.

Norco
Nov 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
I did not do it techniqually, LuneFox helped me get these pictures. I believe he used an emulator to first create the character then applied a filter to make them look smoother and then took the pictures. I do not know the details, you will have to ask him.

As for the prequal thing, as many have pointed out. PSZ takes place on Carol which is the planet where the people in PSO came from. Just that several things have happened, war and such leaving the planet i parell. Then a few hundred years later, thats where the story of PSZ takes place. As Shanks pointed out, some of the background story can be found in a quest which takes place in the Dark Shrine.

As for the ties to the orginal series on the Megadrive/Genesis, I highly doubt those theories. I have yet to see anything to support that theory other then the races, techniques, a certain weapon and final boss.

On the note of the followers being weak, just use them as meatshields. I prefer picking Sarisa, Kai and Reve because they can all heal. Even though one of them is laughably weak. I set them to "All out attack" then switch to "Safety First" or "Free Combat" when they are close enough. All depends if I want me or the followers get healed more often or if I want to build up a small chain (one or two is enough) for extra damage.

Xevioso
Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
I did not do it techniqually, LuneFox helped me get these pictures. I believe he used an emulator to first create the character then applied a filter to make them look smoother and then took the pictures. I do not know the details, you will have to ask him.

Oh ok.

As for the prequal thing, as many have pointed out. PSZ takes place on Carol which is the planet where the people in PSO came from. Just that several things have happened, war and such leaving the planet i parell. Then a few hundred years later, thats where the story of PSZ takes place. As Shanks pointed out, some of the background story can be found in a quest which takes place in the Dark Shrine.

I got up to the Mother Trinity where she talked about genocide being the solution to end all the wars and the destruction of Earth. If the wars kept going on until the Pioneer project, did she have a point?

As for the ties to the orginal series on the Megadrive/Genesis, I highly doubt those theories. I have yet to see anything to support that theory other then the races, techniques, a certain weapon and final boss.

Oh, so Dark Falz[/quote] was a recurring villain?

On the note of the followers being weak, just use them as meatshields. I prefer picking Sarisa, Kai and [spoiler]Reve because they can all heal. Even though one of them is laughably weak. I set them to "All out attack" then switch to "Safety First" or "Free Combat" when they are close enough. All depends if I want me or the followers get healed more often or if I want to build up a small chain (one or two is enough) for extra damage.

I forgot about the chains. I'll try that, thanks.

FOODFOOD
Nov 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
I've managed to get a 28 chain before with Kai and Ogi vs a boosted Frunaked once, so it's possible for them to get a good chain going.

Celauve
Nov 19, 2012, 04:11 AM
The plot in some aspects kind of reminded my of Phantasy Star 2, I'm thinking Sega might have lightly been trying to tie in some thing there.

Link1275
Nov 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
The plot in some aspects kind of reminded my of Phantasy Star 2, I'm thinking Sega might have lightly been trying to tie in some thing there.
Let's see, that was the one where everything that was atmospherically related was controlled by a robot that was corrupted, infected, and for all intents and purposes destroyed by Dark Falz, and you had to find a way to go and destroy it with Nei(who was almost like a sister to the main character in it). Correct?

Mysterious-G
Nov 24, 2012, 08:24 PM
We know that at one point in time Coral began to wither. There were people who fleed the planet and sought shelter in a new home. Thus the Pioneer project was born, resulting in the events of PSO. We know that at the end of PSO Episode III contact to Coral was still being maintained, though authorities pushed for independence.

At some point of all these events, some hopeful people that still clung to the thought that Coral could be saved created Mother Trinity in order to find a solution to the withering of the planet. Sadly, the AI was corrupted by Dark Falz and found the solution to the problem was the ridding of Coral of the higher races. The AI unleashed bio weapons unto the planet, and then, much, much later, PSZ takes place.

The connections PSZ makes to PSO may lay in the past, but the game itself is a sequel to the evens of PSO, at least.

Xevioso
Nov 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
If it's a sequel to PSO, then where would PSO2 take place?

And... where or what happened to colonizing Ragol?

Link1275
Nov 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
If it's a sequel to PSO, then where would PSO2 take place?

And... where or what happened to colonizing Ragol?
It's called Phantasy Star ZERO to imply that it comes before PSO, or another series/game.

Gunbladelad
Dec 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
I recall we discussed this quite a long time ago on the forum for the main Private server. I'll quote here what we (roughly) came up with.

1. Coral's ecosystem starts dying off. 2 projects get started up in tandem - Pioneer & Trinity. Trinity to save the ecosystem, Pioneer to find a new home if the worst happens.

2. Ragol gets discovered as a possible location for a new home by a probe. Initially the location got scouted due to a meteorite from the system impacting on Coral (Episode 3 intro mentions this) Pioneer 1 is sent out. It takes 2 years to travel there, then 5 years building - giving the 7 years between the probe discovering Ragol & Pioneer 2 arriving mentioned in PSO's intro. Pioneer 2 leaves Coral in the 5th year after Ragol gets discovered.)

3. Pioneer 2 arrives, and contact with Pioneer 1 is lost. It should be noted that in the Gallon's Shop quest, you get told by pagnani that "Pioneer 3 has already left". It may have been a scheduled launch to take place after Pioneer 2's departure. It should be noted that Pioneer 3 never arrives in Episodes 3 or 4, leading me to believe that something stopped it. The events of Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1, 2, 3 & 4 follow in the Ragol system.

4. Back on Coral, after Pioneer 2 has left, Mother Trinity goes berserk due to D-Cellular infection (due to the meteorite I mentioned in "2") & causes the "great blank", in the process, destroying what's left of the Pioneer project (including Pioneer 3), and setting up base on the Moon.

5. PS Zero happens 200 years later.

6. The Eternal tower activates as a backup system after Mother Trinity is defeated by the story mode hunters. The side-story quests where you re-fight Mother Trinity & Dark Falz is simply Mother Trinity's systems attempting to reboot. Humilas being "Reve's power" is basically a "metal gear"-style assault mech. It stands to reason that Mother Trinity manufactured more than one.

If anyone wants to question why Pioneer 2 never returned to Coral, remember that traditionally Colony ships are very much 1-way trips. They are almost never intended to return with their passengers. It simply would not have had the fuel to travel back to Coral.

Omega-z
Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 PM
PSZ is a "BIG" piece in the puzzle when connecting the time lines. Sakai did say that PSZ along with PSP2i would help to connect the Online series with the Universe Series. Actually, It look's like you can Link not just those two series's but also the Classic as well so far. PSZ is one of the Best when it comes to info not just game play.:)

So, far what I figured out: (Partial of the time line that's directly with the Online series)

Alisa III >>>Earth ----- Earth breaks out in a huge war over tech. --------War Stop's and a New age of Travel begin's(off of PSO2 history)/ Earth renamed as Coral and the start of the Calender AUW -------They build the Oracle Fleet --- they start colonizing other planet's ----- they get attacked by an unknown source ----- Tension's break out and colonies are lost ------ A Group of scientist's upset with the current condition's and the planet's demise disappear taking off with Falz which they fuse to there ship and a partial copy of the Tech of Alisia III* ----- The Government find's out about the attacker's and starts in making Photon based weapon's ----- They send the Oracle Fleet in the direction that the attacks are coming from----- Oracle Fleet leaves and start's the AP Calender (PSO2 and a possible connection to PSU/EP?) ------- On Coral they continue to fight the attacker's and reneged group's there and continue to develop more Photon Based weapon's and armor like the Agito ------- The planet is in a state of decline the Government builds Mother Trinity / MB ------The first half of PSZ's story begin's ---- Coral start's the Pioneer Project and sends 1,2, and 3 (3 went missing, couple of possible theories here which PSU is one); which 1 & 2 start's PSO on Ragol with a split paradox with PSP2i ------ On Coral the Great Blank happen's ------ the Second part of PSZ happen's/ The planet is recalled Earth again.

* Part is filler but it does happen with the Science vesicle disappearing; which is a good tie's in with PSII Earthmen which in turn their Ship crashes on Ragol at the end which is before PSO.

Sinue_v2
Jun 19, 2013, 05:53 AM
Sakai did say that PSZ along with PSP2i would help to connect the Online series with the Universe Series.

Can you provide a link, or a source, because I only ever remember hearing them say that all four game series (PS, PSO, PSU, and PSO2) all took place in totally different universes and were unconnected.

The first and most significant problem that I see is in the timing. The Dark Falz/Profound Darkness would have still been trapped behind the Algolian seal almost entirely by SC 347/AW 845 when the Earthlings invaded Algol and set up Mother Brain. Since they were the last of the Earthlings, our entire race was wiped out by AW 1284 when Rolf and his team confronted them after defeating Mother Brain. There simply was no Profound Darkness free in the universe at the point you're suggesting the Arks battle took place, and only one minor Dark Falz which was sent back aboard the Alissa III via a black-hole induced time travel.

As to the PSO bit in PSP2i, it doesn't actually mean anything canonically as far as I'm aware, since not only does it completely contradict PSO's storyline - Emilia's dialog seems to indicate that it was a sub-space reality created based off data from the VR simulation*. And even if not, you'd have to acquiesce that since we're dealing with multiple universes here - that it's most likely that the event happened in a very similar - but not the same - universe as what PSO took place in. It would have to, because Rico and Flowen have to die in order for Endu and Germ to be created. Since Ep III's entire storyline revolves around C.A.R.D technology based on the Germ, allowing them to be saved via PSP2i's side-mission would invalidate that entire entry.

* = It was Nagisa's memories. She's a duman, and as such - carries a portion of Dark Falz's "essence" which holds memories. Since Nagisa was piloting the Sub-Space vehicle, when it went awry, the reality created was from her/falz's memory.

Text taken from DeviFoxx's guide.

Emilia: Uh… Well, um…Roughly speaking, the Virtual Reality space is an “imaginary space” that doesn’t exist in reality. We've been here once before at a landscape in the Virtual Reality space that looks just like this one so we could do some combat training. Of course, since that space was virtually generated, all the stuff like the vegetation, native lifeforms and whatnot were all things that were streamed from the Data. But, everything in this place is REAL. For some reason or another, it seems we've come to a world in which the forest that was reproduced in the Virtual Reality space has actually come into existence.

Nagisa: So in other words... You're saying that we're in a place in which everything that was once virtual has now become real.

Emilia: Mm-*‐hmm. That’s what I’m saying.

... the "VR Data" Emilia references was originally introduced during the Max Attack G event in PSU where the "data" was supposedly recovered from a dimensional rift discovered within the Relics.

Also, it should be noted that "Earth" is a general term for soil, and not necessarily a proper name of the planet itself. If you were working a farm on a terraformed Mars, you'd still say you were tilling the "Earth". Similarly, "Earth" based attacks have long existed in fantasy games which happen on their own unique worlds. By contrast, The London Communication Center which hails the Alissa III in Aron's ending qualifies itself as being of "The Sol System".

While I'll grant you that Coral does resemble our own Earth, but so did Ragol at one point in PSO v.1 for the DC.

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/wallpaper/800/wallpaper26.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Phantasy Star, if anything, is not a story of Algol, Gurhal, the Arks, or Ragol. It is the story of The Profound Darkness and it's continuing battle against the Great Light (as represented in the online series by photons & photon technology). The event's which lead to the creation of the PD definitely took place in "Our" universe, but it first manifest in a sub-dimensional space - so you could say that from it's inception, Dark Falz is a trans-dimensional being, and there's nothing to say that the Algolian seal was the only possible exit from it's prison... or that the Profound Darkness/Dark Falz (being the same essence as the Great Light) could not similarly manipulate or transcend dimensions. Dark Falz/the PD is the only real link between all four game series.

which is a good tie's in with PSII Earthmen which in turn their Ship crashes on Ragol at the end which is before PSO.

The Earthling's ship didn't crash on Ragol. It was destroyed in the Algol System at the end of PSII. It's rather heavily implied that there were no survivors, and that your party "went down fighting". Besides, the Dark Force aboard the Noah was already defeated using Esper-crafted Nei Weapons before the fight with Mother Brain even took place. If the spaceship on Ragol is anything, my guess is that it's probably the Neo-Palm.

If anyone wants to question why Pioneer 2 never returned to Coral, remember that traditionally Colony ships are very much 1-way trips. They are almost never intended to return with their passengers. It simply would not have had the fuel to travel back to Coral.

That was a pretty good writeup of the basic plot connection between PSO & PSZero, and I don't have anything to really add to it. You're also pretty spot on with why Pioneer 2 never returned to Coral. Pioneer 2 only had the resources available for a one-way trip, since it was a population ship dedicated to shifting the civilian base. Pioneer 1 was the ship which had the extra resources for building habitation, but much of it's extra cargo was put to use building illegal weapon development facilities. So it wasn't available for commandeering a return trip. (IIRC, Pioneer 2 also had issues with resources mysteriously coming up short during transit, indicating that even Pioneer 2 was used as a cover for transporting personnel to the new development facilities).

"What should we do if Ragol isn't the place for us...? We can't go back, and we can't proceed. Where is home now?" ~ NPC Woman near the Principal's Teleporter, after Ruins are unlocked.

So yeah, whatever the reason, it's established that they couldn't go home. This problem was exacerbated in PSO Ep III where the dwindling resources aboard the ship caused the government to enact strict population control laws. As a result, Newmans became second class citizens and many Androids were slaughtered en-masse in a military operation known as the "OPSS Incident".

gigawuts
Jun 19, 2013, 08:25 AM
I too remember them saying PSU was in a wholly different universe, but with the way they toss that term around they seem to mean whether or not there's a direct connection at the start of the story - indirect connections and future connections notwithstanding.

Hell, maybe it's all part of the untold canon - PS takes place in a multiverse that the profound darkness leaks into, and the universes overlap somehow (possibly as a result of the PD). At the center of each universe's overlap would be Rykros' system, hence why it repeatedly shows up.

landman
Jun 25, 2013, 07:45 AM
I believe that the word "Zero" was not only put because of the origin of PSO (as in Coral being the beginning point for PSO) but also because of planet Earth being Coral, and I do believe this is the intention, because there are many possibilities to believe this is the Earth, and not just any other Earth, basically our moon is quite unique, and while it is poorly represented in the game (just like 99% of other media were it is represented) it's still very recognisable, and also the fauna is clearly an evolution of our current one (maybe natural, maybe artificial). And unlike Star Strek lore, I don't believe that human species can be born in many different places of the universe, with similar physiologies, so, at some point, Parmanians, Gurhalians and Arks need an origin on Earth (unless they really are alien but the games represent them as "humans")

The good thing about that is that there is not a problem to put thousand of years between games, so there is plenty of time for civilisations to expand, collapse and be rebuild, just like in EVE :wacko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T84nrp08MWo&list=PLF614A7A6461E61E1&index=33

Sinue_v2
Jun 25, 2013, 09:00 AM
and I do believe this is the intention, because there are many possibilities to believe this is the Earth, and not just any other Earth, basically our moon is quite unique, and while it is poorly represented in the game (just like 99% of other media were it is represented) it's still very recognisable

Our Earth's shorelines and geography are every bit as unique to our own planet as our Moon is, and yet (as shown above), Ragol shares that exact same configuration. And in greater detail, I might add, than in which PSZero represents the Moon. Even until PSO v.1, the texture of Ragol's surface as seen from Pioneer 2 was that of the eastern seaboard of N. America, with Florida clearly visible. By that time it had undergone some changes, but it was still clearly designed based on Earth as a template. (It was much easier to view with the Walk-Through-Walls code that allowed you to go underneath the cloud cover)

Yet Ragol is not Earth.

and also the fauna is clearly an evolution of our current one (maybe natural, maybe artificial).

You could make the exact same argument for the creatures on Naberius in PSO2. Plus, you could do an morphological comparison until you're blue in the face, but it's not going to get you anywhere because of the fact that this is still just a sci-fi fantasy series. You'd have to demonstrate intent on the part of the authors/designers, and for that, you'd have to ask them.

And unlike Star Strek lore, I don't believe that human species can be born in many different places of the universe, with similar physiologies, so, at some point, Parmanians, Gurhalians and Arks need an origin on Earth (unless they really are alien but the games represent them as "humans")

If this were reality, you'd be right. Although certain archetypes may well be universal, you would not find two phenotypically identical species derived independently of each other. But this is not reality, this is fantasy. Or, phantasy. Whatever. Besides, the official timeline of the original series clearly states that Palmans were specially created by the Great Light (along with Dezolians and Motavians) to serve as the protectors of the seal. For once, and in the realm of fantasy, special creation actually does trump evolution as an explanation.

The good thing about that is that there is not a problem to put thousand of years between games

Except for the fact that Earth, our Earth, definitively has already been in the Phantasy Star franchise and we were the villains. If you want to consider each series in the franchise as it's own seperate universe, then you are allowed to speculate on whether or not Earth has a central place in any or all of them. However, there is no way that I've seen which can connect each series in the same universe. The timelines and events just don't match up.

landman
Jun 25, 2013, 09:48 AM
The intention to make Ragol Earth was clearly either scrapped on Episode 2 (if it was the intention) or corrected (if it was laziness). I'd say it is the second one, because it had since the beginning (at least) 2 moons.

Boomas look 100% alien to me, Savage wolf looks more lizard than mammal, and horns on apes, wolves and elephants is something evolution in our planet will hardly achieve. I'd say they are efficient life forms, so there can evolve similar species on different plannets. Or lack of imagination on game developers (that's why I always liked Panzer Dragoon more than Phantasy Star :wacko: )

the official timeline of the original series clearly states that Palmans were specially created by the Great Light (along with Dezolians and Motavians) to serve as the protectors of the seal.

In that quote let's just say this is true, or that the supercomputer on Rykros was only instructed to say that. Another possibility is that the seal was created by something/someone, and the three species were moved there (one for a hot planet, one for a temperate planet and one for a cold planet). The something/someone could be a powerful being such as the Great Light (I'm ok with that) or an advanced civilization fighting Darks (I'm also ok with that, we know they can achieve such technological power thanks to Gurhal)

Except for the fact that Earth, our Earth, definitively has already been in the Phantasy Star franchise and we were the villains. If you want to consider each series in the franchise as it's own seperate universe, then you are allowed to speculate on whether or not Earth has a central place in any or all of them. However, there is no way that I've seen which can connect each series in the same universe. The timelines and events just don't match up.

What I tried to say with "putting thousand of years between games", is that the origin of all worlds could be millennia before each game, what I think is that the earthlings from PS2, can perfectly come from the same planet in PS0, but not necessarily be from the same civilization, because we don't know if PS0 happened 1234 thousands of years before PS2, or if it happened 717 thousands of years after PS2. Place Gurhal in any direction on the timeline you'd like, and do the same with the Oracle fleet.

Sinue_v2
Jun 25, 2013, 11:43 PM
The intention to make Ragol Earth was clearly either scrapped on Episode 2 (if it was the intention) or corrected (if it was laziness). I'd say it is the second one, because it had since the beginning (at least) 2 moons.

That was from the promotional material, actually. The landmasses in the opening video don't match up, but the texture of Ragol as seen from Ep I Pioneer 2 did not change. It lead to a lot of speculation that Ragol was Earth, with the differences in geography being chalked up to man-made catastrophe, but the issue was never addressed by Sega.

Similarly, Phantasy Star Zero's moon doesn't really share the same features as our own moon. If you watch the opening video carefully (I'll post Youtube link below), the far side of Coral's moon has large impact craters, whereas ours has had them wiped out by smaller meteorite impacts. (image link (http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/clementine/images/img5_lg.gif)) It does share some base characteristics in common, but even within our own solar system - moons that are tidally locked with their primaries are quite normal. Our moon is quite large for the size of it's primary, but it's not completely out of the ordinary. Charon and Pluto being a notable example. So such configurations wouldn't necessarily be unique to Earth and it's Moon considering we have multiple examples of it within a single (ours) solar system. They may be quite common.

Plus, and I don't really recall exactly, but the view of Coral from it's moon didn't really look like Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7UKYs_xIdo

Here's what I was referring to. It actually has much greater detail than I remember. Start watching from about 0:20 seconds. Although N. & S. America are a bit squashed and malformed, you can also see the horn of Africa, Madagascar, the Arabian Peninsula, and other geographical features unique to Earth. There are some changes (a new continent in the Pacific?) but it's clearly based on Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQWAX-uG6hc

Boomas look 100% alien to me

But there are Boomas (4 legged babies anyhow) on Coral as well.

Savage wolf looks more lizard than mammal, and horns on apes, wolves and elephants is something evolution in our planet will hardly achieve.

Why not? Those are actually quite feasible. Mammals regularly grow horns and other bony protrusions. Why couldn't apes also develop such a feature? Similarly, Mammals come from reptiles (indeed, we are just a very highly specialized form of reptile), so if you consider Savage Wolves as having atavistic features that had somehow became expressed and were beneficial to their survival - resulting in them becoming permanent further evolved. Even beyond that, there's plenty of mammals that already exist with scales of a type... such as the pangolin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin). What wouldn't be feasible is, say, feathers on a mammal. Those evolved after our split with our common ancestor and wouldn't be present in our genetic line.

Or lack of imagination on game developers (that's why I always liked Panzer Dragoon more than Phantasy Star :wacko: )

Yup, or cheap fan service and references. Either way, that's more probable than explaining how Rappies achieved space travel and colonized the stars before their society collapsed.

In that quote let's just say this is true

It is.
PSIV Script (http://www.phantasy-star.net/psiv/psivtalk5.html)
Phantasy Star Compendium Translation: Page 64 - Timeline (http://www.pscave.com/other/compendium/page61-65.shtml)

or that the supercomputer on Rykros was only instructed to say that.

He was a guardian of the Great Light, similar to (I guess) an Angel if you're playing the western version. He was one of the few remaining members of the victorious spirit race, left behind to watch over the seal, if you're playing the JP version.

I don't think he was lying, but if you have to assume characters are lying or remove data present in the older series in order to make a connection, then it's not really a connection.

What I tried to say with "putting thousand of years between games", is that the origin of all worlds could be millennia before each game, what I think is that the earthlings from PS2, can perfectly come from the same planet in PS0, but not necessarily be from the same civilization, because we don't know if PS0 happened 1234 thousands of years before PS2, or if it happened 717 thousands of years after PS2. Place Gurhal in any direction on the timeline you'd like, and do the same with the Oracle fleet.

It's not really a matter of how much time is in between games, but a matter of PS classic having to have primacy in the timeline because Algol was the seal which contained the Profound Darkness/Dark Falz. He can't be loose in the universe before that point, because he didn't even exist before the spirit race was placed within the seal. It was a crucible that formed the evil god from the collective hatred, despair, and lust for revenge that congealed into a core of evil. That means that Earth humans were wiped out long before Dark Falz was ever even capable of escaping into space and wreaking havok.

The only way that I see to put a Dark Force out in the universe prior to PSII's time is via Aron's ending in PSIII. But then that just segways back into PSII's storyline (which explains why a DF was aboard the Noah and why Earthlings were corrupted by Dark Falz and destroyed their planet long before 845AW) and doesn't match up with the existing Coralian history of a "meteorite from Ragol containing D-Cells" introducing DF to their planet.

Aron's ending pretty much is the canonical one, with any connection to PSO having to come from another worldship crashing on Ragol with a new DF on board after the destruction of Palm. But even that has problems since you have to find a way to introduce Nei weapons and Espers onto another worldship.

landman
Jun 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
How would you think the Guardian would describe a being such as Mika, Kumhan or Wynarl? I'm not saying it's lying, I'm saying it explained so far to the party. The compendium doesn't explain much more, doesn't explain the origin of that race, neither the origin of the guardian races of Algol.

Also about canonizing the weapon cameos, I'm not saying you are wrong, but in this case take the weapons in PS0 the same way, they "prove" that at least this planet was once an alternate Sol's Earth, one with a continent named Europa, with similar geology, similar people, and Valkyrias scorching the earth :P

Omega-z
Jun 28, 2013, 10:43 AM
Sinue_v2 - Thank you first on your post and feed back and sorry it took so long. Oh the source it's all over the place. It's part of the 10th Anniversary announcement part with Sakai saying so. You can find that on Bump.org even.

But yeah the connection lines would be PSU>>>>PSP2i>>>>PSO2<<<<<PSO<<<<<PSZ with the light Fan Service connection in PSP2i.

Now I totally agree about the PSP2i Sub-Plot being a VR system Program off DF's memory's since it not the first time that happened, Howser did the same. I Would "Rather" apply this more but at the moment just brushed it off to the side as a "Spilt" time line. Since I'm waiting on more info from PSO2 character's like Shion and Richard. Now this is info I need to find out since this will tell me "IF" they came from Ragol or some where else. Now that doesn't mean that they didn't come from the Original PSO series. Just need more info before I completely add that in.

Part of the First Part you answered yourself in your post when talking to landman in the next page about the Earthmen. So, there no need to explain there.

Now Ragol isn't Earth since I read about it; This was a long time ago like 11+ year's and I don't remember the source. But it was a basic review about the making of PSO when PSO was popular. The Game was a Clone of another RPG game for it's engine and mechanic's. They use'd a 3'D image of Earth as a Template but it wasn't Earth. This did Spark the big debate about Ragol but Sega slowly remedied the problem in later Installment's. Like you said they tried to change the topography of the planet. They added two moon's and in-game it was mentioned that it was a soul planet in a system. So that add's up to not being Earth but more of Sega being Lazy.

Now about the Ending of PSII it's "Open Ended" so saying it was destroyed in Angol is one of the theories. In fact there's more evidence that it wasn't completely the case.

#1 We know that the Engine of Noah was infused with DF and was slowly changing it to a Seed Hive ship, We know this because of the similarities between the outside and inside of the ship. And the fact DF can overtake machine's.

#2 We know that the Earthmen built thru MB, the world ship's. They place as many DF's in them as they can so, the DF that Rolf fought wasn't the DF that was fuse with the ship. IF this was the case the ship would of been destroyed before the end we have. On top of that the DF in PSO wanted to Evolve since it had been part of the ship for a long time.

#3 We know that Rolf used Megid which you saw an explosion from Dezo and Rolf didn't die on the spot but was gritting like he was holding on to something. The idea here is He blew a huge hole in the side of the ship with Megid but was hoping to do more. This is also reflected in PSO where the ship had a huge gaping hole in it.

#4 we have a cut scene of a shooting object heading into a planet in PSII.

#5 The Bloodline of Alys had to continue, Most likely Rolf lived by the grace of Lutz/Noah like he did when he was ten in PSII/Phantasy Star II Text Adventures.

#6 The item's Neisword and Aero-Prism had to be returned. The Elyision/Neisword had been inproved by the Esper's but it was the Original one to the fact that it needed the bloodline.

#7 There are grave marker's in Falz's Memorial along side the seal. It is same amount to the hero's who had died. And the description on them even tho it's blurry matches the size of the ending quote in PSII.

#8 There are 3 Sealing totem's with the Angol Crest on them with the Sealing word's "Mut Ditts Poum".

#9 The capsule's that Rico left saying there was a huge fight going on in the ship. And that it came from another star.

#10 at the end of Ult. mode of PSO there is a pic of Lutz Sealing Falz at Falz Memorial.

#11 there is a data-mined Lutz's mantle in the game that was not completely finished and is called the shadow Mantle which you can use in the game with a code like Sonic.

#12 The Construction of the ship on Ragol doesn't match the Construction of a World ship.

Now you could debate it if you want but it's more likely what happen from not one but many games. I've looked in too it being Alisa III, But I can account for them in each ending so that's a no go. Now Neo Plam was a possibility but came short on many point's and not likely to be it on Ragol, But is likely to be the crashed ship on Naberius.

If you like we can Talk more on it or get a General Idea where I'm getting at with the time line we can talk over a PM or a Thread of Theories of a connecting timeline idea's. Thought's on this because I do like feedback especially from you and any other's. And I've been doing my homework too but I need reminding at times too since I'm human lol. The Idea I have doesn't step on too many toe's on the cannon is it perfect no but does clean up a lot of road block's in the franchise. Now there is filler but nothing to out there and keep's in line with the cannon. I would like a continual discussion that can be better then any of timeline's out there that would make sense and that Community could go off on.

Kenbog
Jul 2, 2013, 01:37 PM
Actually PSZ is a SEQUEL to PSO as in it takes place after...

AW 3060- endless wars on Coral devastate the environment and the 10 strongest nations join in alliance, they plan a mass exodus to help find a suitable planet to inhabit.

AW 3068- the Pioneer Project is launched after Ragol is found suitable and Pioneer 1 is sent.

AW 3076- Pioneer 1 is launched.

AW 3077- Pioneer 1 lands on Ragol

AW 3081- the 10 nation alliance powers weaken.

AW 3083- Pioneer 2 is launched

AW 3095- Pioneer 2 claims itself an independant state from Coral. (end of the PSO saga)

AW 3100- The Mother Trinity Project is launched.

AW 3101- Mother Trinity is created.

AW 3106- Mother Trinity losing control on reality and attacks the races using robots.

Hmm I have to reply on this...

#1 We know that the Engine of Noah was infused with DF and was slowly changing it to a Seed Hive ship, We know this because of the similarities between the outside and inside of the ship. And the fact DF can overtake machine's.
a SEED Hive ship? from PSU? We don't know anything about Dark Force in that game besides being in a treasure chest... We know he can overtake machines tho because of PSIV.

#2 We know that the Earthmen built thru MB, the world ship's. They place as many DF's in them as they can so, the DF that Rolf fought wasn't the DF that was fuse with the ship. IF this was the case the ship would of been destroyed before the end we have. On top of that the DF in PSO wanted to Evolve since it had been part of the ship for a long time.

There is only 1 dark force at that time, you know seal is weakened and only 1 agent of the profound darkness can get trough each 1000 years...

#3 We know that Rolf used Megid which you saw an explosion from Dezo and Rolf didn't die on the spot but was gritting like he was holding on to something. The idea here is He blew a huge hole in the side of the ship with Megid but was hoping to do more. This is also reflected in PSO where the ship had a huge gaping hole in it.

You mean the Gasleak explosion on Dezolis? The giant hole in the ruins on PSO is made by the military to force there way in since they couldn't get passed the sealed door.
I have to correct a few things tho...

#4 we have a cut scene of a shooting object heading into a planet in PSII.

You mean the satellite Gira that crashes into Palma that destroyed the entire planet?

#5 The Bloodline of Alys had to continue, Most likely Rolf lived by the grace of Lutz/Noah like he did when he was ten in PSII/Phantasy Star II Text Adventures.

Rolf is indeed an descendant of Alys, his last name is Landale, his text adventures however started as him already being in an orphanage and continues with his quest for strength

#6 The item's Neisword and Aero-Prism had to be returned. The Elyision/Neisword had been inproved by the Esper's but it was the Original one to the fact that it needed the bloodline.

There is no backstory about the Nei-sword so far I know, but ya indeed the Elsydeon is pretty much the Laconian Sword Alys uses enchanted by Lutz and the Espers but it didn't need the Landale bloodline to wield it.

#7 There are grave marker's in Falz's Memorial along side the seal. It is same amount to the hero's who had died. And the description on them even tho it's blurry matches the size of the ending quote in PSII.

Maybe should check that...

#8 There are 3 Sealing totem's with the Algol Crest on them with the Sealing word's "Mut Ditts Poum".

MUUT DITTS POUMN is indeed a reference to Algols planet simulating the seal of the profound darkness

#9 The capsule's that Rico left saying there was a huge fight going on in the ship. And that it came from another star.

Rico said that the military was fighting in the ruins and lost.

#10 at the end of Ult. mode of PSO there is a pic of Lutz Sealing Falz at Falz Memorial.

Not rly... it shows the patch Rico took and eventually came back on Pioneer 2 (not cannon at all)

#11 there is a data-mined Lutz's mantle in the game that was not completely finished and is called the shadow Mantle which you can use in the game with a code like Sonic.

those right?
http://www.pso-world.com/images/bb/guardian.jpg
Those are the suits GMs uses to roam the lobbies.

#12 The Construction of the ship on Ragol doesn't match the Construction of a World ship.

No Idea what you mean here

Omega-z
Jul 2, 2013, 05:51 PM
Well, DF was part of the engine's it was stated so. We also know that Falz himself said that he destroyed the other 400 ship's so there were more then one during that time. And even in PSIV there is sign's of this. but the construction of the outside of the Seed Hive ship from PSU has little dome's and is the same when you look outside the ship in the ruin's on Ragol. The construct is also the same from the inside the hive ship to Block 3 and the end room which is the engine room of the ship.

The hole in the side? No, not the explosion on Dezolis. And no, not the military either. The ruin's actually show's this damage. Rico talk's about it being done way before.

No on Gira too.

Military fighting? unless there 10,000 yr's old that's also a no.

Rolf's last name was never mentioned it was implied that it was. But the Bloodline needed to still be around because Chaz is from those lines too as it's implied that way.

Rico has nothing to do with that pic of lutz at all .....why bring her up?

GM??? wearing them when? was it back in Ver.1 day's. Even still look at the writing on it.

Oh, on PSZ it's a little of both. it does take place after PSO but it talk's about what happen before PSO too.

fighgunners
Jul 2, 2013, 07:04 PM

The hole in the side? No, not the explosion on Dezolis. And no, not the military either. The ruin's actually show's this damage. Rico talk's about it being done way before.

Military fighting? unless there 10,000 yr's old that's also a no.

[spoiler-box]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2161/wmt8.png
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5585/nu.png
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8535/wof.png
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5145/g51.png
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/816/hi7.png[/spoiler-box]

Well then, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about then, because these are literally the first two capsules you find in the Ruins, they both show that Rico is not talking about any star, and that it is indeed the military.

Omega-z
Jul 3, 2013, 08:19 AM
Well, She thought it was the military at first but later disproves this. And why are your messages look oddly different and interface?.

Kenbog
Jul 3, 2013, 10:37 AM
Well, She thought it was the military at first but later disproves this. And why are your messages look oddly different and interface?.

Idk what games you are playing but this how the story goes...
Also how could weapons from pioneer 1 instantly change into something else?
And that text is because it is obvious an high resolution Blue Burst...

fighgunners
Jul 3, 2013, 10:47 AM

What are you even talking about? Can you please play all of the series and then make any fabrications to the fact? The closest canonical link Phantasy Star I to IV, including the spin offs Phantasy Star Gaiden and the Text Adventures have are the recurring usage of the words Technique, Photons, and Dark Force/Dark Falz, and recently in PSO2, the mentioning of The Profound Darkness, everything else that would connect the quadrilogy and it's spin-offs from that point on is hear-say. As for Phantasy Star Zero and Phantasy Star Online and its Episodes, they are connected, but still loosely so, as stated earlier in the thread, there is still contact going on with Pioneer 2 and Coral by the end of Episode III:C.A.R.D. Revolution, which takes place the latest in PSO, which starts at AW(After Wars/After Waizz) or AUW(After Unification of Waizz) 3105, meaning to the fact that Phantasy Star Zero would have to take place after that, this is furthered by the fact that Dr. Montague has stated himself in Episode IV how MAGs were created and then androids, which is both backed up in the Book of Hunters which is made before Episode III and IV, and in Phantasy Star Zero, (They mention MAGs as an accident, androids [CASTs] were made afterwards), and finally the connection would be the Photon weapons which were made in high and powerful quantities thanks to the discovery of the D-Cellular quantities found in a meteorite that landed on Coral simply known as D-Factor, which is the real reasoning behind the Pioneer Project specifically choosing Ragol in the first place. As for Phantasy Star Universe, there is no connection to the rest of the series as well other than once again Dark Falz, and this time a weird revival of Rykros which didn't do justice to the original Rykros in Phantasy Star IV.

As for assumptions, the "ancient civilization" that supposedly existed on Ragol, along with Leukon Knight and the white temple known as Ravum Aedes Sacra, bears a retardedly similarity between the Ancients and the Stateria and the RELICS sites in Phantasy Star Universe, but that would be a non canonical assumption as they were probably made that way in Phantasy Star Universe as it was released after Phantasy Star Online.

The only single thing that honestly ties the entire series together is a single chronological timeline and the reappearence of Dark Falz, who shows that The Profound Darkness is not yet dead, nor stopped as it is its progenitor.

Omega-z
Jul 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm not here to argue with you. And you have a right to your opinion. I understand where your coming from with keeping things separated and left how they are. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

landman
Jul 5, 2013, 08:32 AM
Other than the names of many things (Planets, characters, vehicles, etc), Gurhal is still far from any connection to the rest of the series, the only one being that the ancients could come from any of the previous civilisations, and I'm not searching the exact date, but I think Mika said it was some tens of thousands of years previous to the history of Gurhal.

Oh and I didn't know about the part with Lutz sealing Falz in PSO's ending, and looked for it. Apparently it's the Uraending from psov2, and yes... there seems to be a GM model, but white, with the Psycho-wand in hand, in the Falz Memoria. Last picture:

http://www.ripplinger.us/camineet/psoimages/page4.asp

I have to say I'm surprised about this, first because again is a vague hint to make us speculate, (Is it Lutz? one of his successors? or nothing related to him?) and then because it is the opposite to the hint in the book of hunters, were Searren (Wren in PSIII) was clearly in the early designs. There is still the option that the seal in Ragol is made by people from Algol, and the people from Coral are descendants from the Alisa III (one of the endings at least :P)

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2013, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read each post from start to finish, but the pillars in forest/caves/mines each have the seal from (I think - really not up to par on this stuff) Lutz's family. Or...some other family from a prior PS game. That right there is a connection.