PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Class Weapon Proficiencies

knight85
Dec 7, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm watching a playthru of Phantasy Star Portable 2 at the minute and i can see right away that the weapon types a hunter can use have changed a great deal from Phantasy Star Universe. unfortunately the chart on the psp2 wiki site for the kinds of weapons you can use makes absolutely no sense to me.

so i was hoping somebody on here could tell me what weapons each of the classes can use.

and hopefully somebody on here can also clear up some confusion i'm having. in the first video the main character's level 1 hunter was able to use swords, knuckles, spears, twin sabers, twin daggers, sabers, daggers, handguns, tech-mags and shields, all at rank C

six chapters later, his level 9 hunter has changes so that it now uses rank A swords, sabers and twin handguns, and rank B spears, double sabers, rods and shields.

what the hell is happening with this guy? unfortunately i cant keep track since he's not showing all his work.

and while i'm on the subject of types, can anybody explain to me what Type Extension is?

blace
Dec 7, 2012, 06:54 PM
Unlike PSU, you have to manage what you can and what you can't use.

Basically, the type levels up independently of the player character and with each type level you gain points to expend on equipment type. You can change that at any time, and the points can be re-allocated to any of the weapons. The only restriction is your characters independent level and the type level.

knight85
Dec 7, 2012, 07:08 PM
so more or less with type extend you can use the points to upgrade current weapon types or unlock new weapon types.

but that doesnt explain how this guy lost weapon types that he started with. is there a limit or something to how many weapon proficiencies you can have per class?

blace
Dec 7, 2012, 07:55 PM
You can enable all weapon types, but the points needed to do so are limited. Say for example, I use swords more than spears, I take points off spears and add them to swords to enable higher ranked swords for use.

knight85
Dec 7, 2012, 08:36 PM
i see. so if i wanted to i could take the force and make it a more proficient warrior class by sacrificing a proficiency in a weapon i know i'd never use.

but my main question remains. what proficiencies do each of the classes begin with

blace
Dec 7, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hunters are proficient in close combat and their weapons are swords, spears, twin sabers, twin daggers, twin claws, double sabers, knuckles, axes, sabers, daggers, claws and shields. They're able to equip a single handed handgun.

Rangers are proficient in ranged weaponry these include rifles, twin handguns, crossbows, r-mags, handguns and mechguns. They're able to wield sabers and daggers without much restraint.

Forces ae proficient in support and raw damage, their weapons are rods, wands, tech mags, bows, sabers, and daggers. They're able to bring a handgun.

Vanguards are at their best with single handed weaponry.

Edit: Forgot slicers and whips for Hunters and shotguns and laser cannons for Ranger.

knight85
Dec 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
much thanks.

it's more or less i was gonna try and think of ways to maximise the use of certain stats.

prime example being the force. true you lose hp and defence but that can be offput by better line shields and units and you are then able to maximise your abilities with technics while getting deceny weapon support with the dual daggers, or dual sabers, or the spear if you use the right photon art

and that's something else. i heard somewhere online that you dont gain experience for photon arts by using them like before. is it true? or did they just remove the notice for the arts leveling up?

blace
Dec 7, 2012, 09:40 PM
It's true that PAs and technics no longer level like they did in PSU. However, this makes it easier for those that have multiple characters. For example, I find a level 30 Foie that I don't need anymore, I can put it into storage and take it out with a lower leveled character and learn the skill.

Another thing to note is that PP is character bound, meaning weapons no longer need to be recharged. PP regenerates over time and will be used when dodging or firing a gun. To remedy that, melee weapons gain back PP for landing succssful hits excluding PAs. Twin daggers attack quick and have a decent hit rate making those ideal for anyone that needs quick PP gain.

knight85
Dec 7, 2012, 10:39 PM
that's what i figured.

it seems as if the portable games give us everything the online version promised, with an offline storyline and more gear to back it up.

once i get the hang of the battle system again i'll look for a cheap copy of the first portable game and take a stab at it

blace
Dec 7, 2012, 10:47 PM
The first game is like a direct port of PSU on the PSP, the mechanics will still be different than PSP2 and yet familiar for you since you recently played PSU.