PDA

View Full Version : whats so good about snow qeen?

x2
Mar 30, 2003, 10:49 PM
just wondering why is it so good? does it have a special?

Brundidge
Mar 30, 2003, 10:59 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45899&forum=7&10

x2
Mar 30, 2003, 11:10 PM
so it can't attack in combos hmmmm.... whats a good non-spread like gun?

Brundidge
Mar 30, 2003, 11:27 PM
Instead of a Snow Queen, the next (debatable) best thing is the Frozen Shooter since it can combo and have high chances of freezing. Mechguns are also great if they have good %'s on them (more over on the hit percentage). Rifles/handguns series are always nice for taking out at long range.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 1, 2003, 09:34 AM
I have both weapons on my high level Ramarl, in online ultimate. Go with Snow Queen if your base ATA is in the 200+ range. Otherwise, stick with Frozen Shooter until your ATA (with mag and units equipped) gets higher.

I mean, how can you say 'no' to freezing a pack of Arlans (and the Indi Belra behind them) in one shot? From rifle range too.

Vanango
Apr 1, 2003, 10:40 AM
**confused**

I have a snow queen and I noticed at the right angel I can freeze more than one enemy, but are you saying if I get more powerful I can freeze more?

Elusive_Llama
Apr 1, 2003, 11:09 AM
Yes, basically as you get more ATA, your chances of landing a hit with the special attack increases. If the SQ special attack hits (ie. does 0 - whatever dmg and does not make a 'miss' message pop up), then it will freeze 100% of the time.

So if you're low level and your ATA is low, you won't hit as often and therefore won't freeze as often.

Vanango
Apr 1, 2003, 02:56 PM
OOps, my question wasn't really clear, can you hit multiple enemies (like a spread) when you have higher ATA? (does it penetrate like techniques do?)

Jae
Apr 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
The SQ can only hit enemies that are bunched or lined together ala Guilty Light. You can't hit enemies that are far from each other, but yes it does penetrate.

What Llama is saying is that higher ATA increases your chances of freezing everything the first time. With lower ATA, you might freeze only half of your targets with one shot.

Liet
Apr 3, 2003, 06:45 PM
Yeah. The Snow Queen is a plasma cannon so it can hit multiple closely grouped enemies. Its "spread" range does not increase as ATA increases. I like to carry both the SQ and my frozen shooter and use them according to the # and type of enemy i am facing. I hate that the SQ doesn't combo, but it does come in handy against groups of projectile enemies. Also, the FS and the SQ have a 99% chance of freezing at the lowest equipable ATA, so they are just as good then as at ATA 500

SMACKTARD
Apr 3, 2003, 07:10 PM
although it does not have photon launcher capabilities, the frozen shooter is capable of freezing groups or parts of it. it seems to have an area effect special because when i hit one enemy while a few are close, they have a tendency to freeze

VulpesMundi
Apr 8, 2003, 07:40 PM
I managed to find some extra Frozen Shooters last night, so I went ahead and bought a Photon Booster and tested out the Snow Queen. I can finally post my opinion on the two weapons.

When you play solo you're better off with the Frozen Shooter. The speed and added accuracy of a full combo make it much easier to deal with enemies when you're the only one in the fray. The enemy at the front of the pack can be used as an ice wall to slow down other enemies behind it so you can set yourself up for the next target (or just pummel the ice wall enemy to death).

The Snow Queen is a great weapon for team play when used as support. In those cases the ranger is usually behind a hunter or two and has cover to safely move around to get the best angle on shots. The ability to freeze multiple enemies that are lined up is a plus, but the lack of a combo slows the weapon attack speed down significantly. Also, since it only has one attack its accuracy isn't as high as it could be. If you find a Frozen Shooter with a hit bonus, that's a great candidate to become a Snow Queen. One thing I really noticed about the Snow Queen is that it's a lily killer. You can hit lilies twice with one shot, which really makes short work of them. Another thing I noticed (and this may just be a random coincidence I experienced) is that the Snow Queen seems to randomly freeze the ranger equipped with it a lot more often than the Frozen Shooter does.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 8, 2003, 10:16 PM
In my experience, the Snow Queen and Frozen Shooter appear to have the same chance of freezing you (which is not very often at all). Then again, I usually have some other weapon equipped while running around, and switch to the SQ/FS only when I know I'll need it. In practice, I barely give a moment's thought to the random freeze backfire, and usually wiggle out of the ice in under a second.

As for the Frozen Shooter being better for solo, it depends on your ATA, really. My ATA is exceptionally high with the SQ equipped, so I have little need for the Frozen Shooter. A ranger with lower ATA might find the Frozen Shooter more useful because of its better accuracy. Both guns technically have the same speed, but the combo on a Frozen Shooter allows it to deal out more shots in less time than a Snow Queen.

After freezing groups of enemies in one shot, I find it strange to be using the Frozen Shooter.

As for that bit about how the Frozen Shooter can freeze a couple enemies at once, I have also noticed that but I cannot replicate it. It seems to happen randomly, and only if the shot hits a monster that is close to another.