PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy Stuff

Reksanden
Dec 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
Figured I'd throw this out, since I'm curious to see.

What kinds of philosophy do those in PSOW follow? How do you think and function in a world that keeps changing?

And since this is sorta vague and broad, peeps'd be going 'wut do I talk about'?

So let's start with.... Your views on life. The fact we exist, and just what you think about being alive.

For myself..... Well....

For life.... Life is difficult to put words to. You can do so much in it, and get so much back from it. Not all of it good, but not all of it bad. I do suppose that circumstance plays a huge part in influencing whether it's bad or good, but that's also up to how it's seen.

Now, I love life because of all it offers, but I also hate it from the pain it brings to people. What I feel about it doesn't matter in the least to everyone, but I just don't find it fair or in any way moral to spread pain when it's already in such abundance... Sure, nothing in life is ever fair.... Only when you make it so.

Love? I didn't know what love was, until I began to have feelings for a certain someone. Those feelings grew, to the point that they are what drive me. Given my morals, I don't really view love as a multi-personal thing. Sure, I love all of my friends and family, but I would never consider any other person aside from Zeal as my partner in life. That includes everything that goes in with a relationship. I won't ever go out with anyone else, have sex with anyone else, nor even consider loving another person in the same way. It's just the way I am.

To brag on him a bit.... Well, I have a tendancy to make myself horribly depressed. Before I realized my feelings for him, I was on a downward emotional spiral, and that would have gone into some very bad areas. I likely would have commited suicide, actually. But Zeal showed me how wonderful both love and life are. He reminds me of such every time I feel down, and I'm incredibly thankful and lucky to have such a caring person with me.

Shou
Dec 30, 2012, 03:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfNgCaqLIR0

Blue-Hawk
Dec 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
I live by many. These are but three.

Work sucks, try to have some fun to make the day go by. (Ironically I was just made store manager too yesterday :P )

When in doubt, let someone else figure it out.

No expectations, no disappointment.

NoiseHERO
Dec 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
> When you're suffering, everyone you hate is winning.

> Be as awesome as possible, it's better(or at least more fun) to be obnoxious unintentionally than to be boring while trying to act mature.(You can be boring at work though.)

> Pick your friends wisely and carefully, It's good to know a lot of different people, but make sure that besides your family that the closest ones won't become the people you hate the most. Trust me, it's not worth the drama...

> Help everyone that asks, then they won't be allowed to say you're useless! Even if you do a shitty job at least you were there for them! They might pay you back some day, if they don't karma will!

> Get a hobby, seriously, if you get good at it you'll have something to brag about. But no really, it'll make you more interesting, give you something to talk about that no one will care about, make you feel accomplished about something, kill time, it's fun and it will boost your confidence in SOMETHING which will make life suck less. (If you suck at your hobby find an easier one!)

> Last but not least and the most important, have a sense of humor about EVERYTHING. Because life sucks, don't be a part of the reason why it sucks. It just makes things easier to get over when you can laugh them off and flexibly move on... including my douchey "philosphy" that I'm surprised you read the whole thing of.

TL;DR: find a source of confidence to increase your self esteem and laugh everything off, even if sometimes it'll make look like a huge dick outside of your circle of friends you can make up for it by always doing what you think is right. Because my "philosophy" is "Fuck being boring and depressed, no one's got time for that shit."

Sayara
Dec 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ones success lies not in the amounts of money you make, but the happiness it brings.
or
Id prefer to enjoy my life and work than be miserable and rich.

GCoffee
Dec 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
Those who crawl cannot trip - Garfield

Jakosifer
Dec 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
"Only judge others when you have a firm grasp of self-awareness." Is pretty much my MO. Then again, I don't really bother judging others anyway, ain't got time for that shit.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God. —Kurt Vonnegut

Retehi
Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
One who runs in front of cement truck soon becomes tired.

Sinue_v2
Dec 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Secular Humanist, with a heavy leaning towards Transhumanism and a scoatch of Deism. I am also a capitalist, and a globalist, since it seem to me that it has overwhelmingly been the mercantile class which has developed our civilizations, raised our standard of living, and kept the peace between nations by making it mutually detrimental to bomb a nation rather than trade with them. It has ushered in a era where the soft power of culture and finance holds more weight than the hard power of arms and conquest. To paraphrase Robert Wright, "Of the many reasons I oppose bombing the Japanese, one of them is because they draw my anime."

However, I also see the benefit in the (whole or semi) socialization of certain industries in government to provide social safety nets and build infrastructure in ways that the "fiscal fitness landscape" doesn't allow. Basic curiosity driven research into the sciences in one such field. Nobody in Victorian Era England would have invested in Michael Faraday's experiments in Electromagnetism. There was no direct commercial application for such work. But today, his findings are the cornerstone of our entire technological world. Further, fully unrestrained capitalism leads to some of the worst human rights abuses. We did not build civilizations to escape the bloody tooth and claw of nature, only to expose our throats to the predators within the gates, so to speak. As such, I also fully endorse the right of private individuals to form labor unions and negotiate the terms of their employment.

However, even though I am not religious, I do appreciate the Buddhist philosophy of "participating joyfully in the sorrows of life." That pain and sorrow are unavoidable in life so long as you hold attachment to things, be they people, places, ideas, or objects. We (most people, anyhow) can't help that, but we can try to look at suffering as just another facet of a most beautiful and unique experience we call life. Enlightenment, and peace, comes when you can drink in life fully - in all of it's poison and pleasure - and savor every drop of it. I also find a lot of merit in the philosophy of Ubuntu, the idea that "I am who I am, because of who we all are." Humans do not live in isolation, and the only way to truly affirm your humanity is to see it reflected back at you in others.

Though if I had to pick one quote, or creedo, that I live by... well, right now it is this.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~ Socrates.

So long as you just go along with what other people tell you, you're not living your own life. You are simply letting another live your life for you by proxy. Examine your beliefs, dissect your culture, and question your authorities. Make up your own mind and find your own voice. Better to think, and be wrong, than to never think for yourself at all.

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
don't hate

this is a no h8 zone

Sinue_v2
Dec 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
> Last but not least and the most important, have a sense of humor about EVERYTHING. Because life sucks, don't be a part of the reason why it sucks. It just makes things easier to get over when you can laugh them off and flexibly move on... including my douchey "philosphy" that I'm surprised you read the whole thing of.

Man is born crying, and when he's cried enough, he dies. So laugh. Laugh as much as you can. Laugh as though your very life depended upon it! Find joy and mirth in every shadowed nook and corner, and if you cannot find it there, then create it for yourself. Tis the best method of life extension, for if not in duration, then at least in quality.

Noblewine
Jan 3, 2013, 12:09 PM
Life is a bitch and the only way to make progress is to work for it. There is no shortcuts in life.
People are assholes.
Friends change as they get older and move on.

washuguy
Jan 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
I love philosophy :-). Here's what I've developed:

*Everyone has a spirit:
*Life=Truth, light, hope, prosperity, unity, perseverance, wisdom, knowledge, love, peace , giving, recieving , mercy, understanding
*We live in a degenerating world where the elements of light and dark are in a power struggle
*The truth is stranger than fiction
*People die from lack of knowledge
*All people are farmers cultivating the garden of their own life, you reap what you sow
*The sun shines on the just and the unjust... Everyone suffers time to time in a chaotic world, but everyone experiences good, there are universal laws that no matter you morality, work for everyone on earth
*There is a whole world we can't see that effects our world here
*Just about everything visible is reflection of spiritual principle
*Human life is precious
*This isn't the final existence, this life is a journey and a test for everyone.

washuguy
Jan 11, 2013, 05:29 PM
I live by many. These are but three.

Work sucks, try to have some fun to make the day go by. (Ironically I was just made store manager too yesterday :P )

When in doubt, let someone else figure it out.

No expectations, no disappointment.

That last point is beautiful... If more people had low expectations, there would be less heart broken people.

Shakuri
Jan 17, 2013, 08:45 AM
Don't start no shit won't be no shit

gigawuts
Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 AM

Wiser words are seldom spoken. Shame it had to be from a movie so half the time someone hears it they laugh instead of going "Gee, that's a good point, maybe if I don't go out of my way to start shit nobody will go out of their way to give me shit."

(I actually nearly wrote that here myself but remembered the reactions it usually gets, which ultimately defeats the purpose of the term)

.Rusty.
Jan 17, 2013, 10:54 AM
Its good advice as long as you try to understand groups you are not part of. Otherwise you are gonna accidentally start shit because you have no perspective on things.

Noblewine
Jan 17, 2013, 02:10 PM

I agree with this. I wish it was true because I run into this problem every time at my past jobs