PDA

View Full Version : I must not understand rare drops

Zuken
Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
I've been a long time player of PSO, but mainly online. I'm playing through the GC version with a friend now and the rare drops seem really finicky. I'm level 59 at the moment and my friend is level 95. We're playing Very Hard and have only had luck finding rares in Forest and I think the beginning of caves. It just isn't making sense to me. There's no rares in Mines or Ruins. We ran from start to finish.

I'm Pinkal and he's Purplenum. Both FOmar. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I've searched around the internet but I can't seem to figure out why. All I can guess is it has to do with our levels.

Crazyleo
Dec 30, 2012, 02:52 AM
Rares are generally ruled by the RNG mechanics of the game. But there are ways to increase the odds in your favor.

:neutral: Piping: If you know that the rare you are hunting comes from a rare creature; you can pipe back to Pioneer 2 and back to Ragol to see if a rare creature is there. However; doing this will cause the laser head on the GC to wear out faster.

:neutral: Quests: Certain quests will have more of a certain creature that will drop that certain rare.

:neutral:Section IDs: Your ID will determine what sort of rares will drop. Pinkal is more geared towards Forces (High lvl disks will drop more often + FO weapon rares are frequent) whereas Purplenum will drop mech gun rares more frequently.

That's all I can think off atm though.

T0m
Dec 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
Don't worry about it. It's all chance based; it's random. And randomness is clumpy, meaning some days you'll find nothing, and other days you'll find more than you can shake a stick at.

You said you are getting rares from Forest, so you're not doing anything that prevents Rares from dropping. Just keep playing, and you'll get some good drops in Mines and Ruins before long!

Edit: In case you did not know this: The drops are determined by Player 1's (the host) Section ID. Between the two of you, you probably have the best Section ID for Rare drops for Forces. So you're probably better off when you create the game. (Or just check the drop charts (http://www.pso-world.com/item_findings.php) to see what drops on Very Hard for Pinkals and Purplenums.)