PDA

View Full Version : Important Info for anyone who uses a P2P or downloads ANYTHI

Guntz348
Mar 31, 2003, 03:14 AM
This is sort of tech support, but it's not PSO or site related tech support so I'm putting it in Off Topic.

If anyone has used Kazaa, Sharebear, Imesh or any type of P2P or has downloaded things from the internet I strogly urge you all that you search your system for a program called "NewDotNet". It's an extremely nasty spyware/trojan program that can really cripple your system. If it's not removed properly it will mess up your computer to the point where you can not use the internet at all.

My computer was lagged down very badly and I could barely get windows to boot up. Once I did I'd have to click on things several times to get them to load, this is how I knew that something was very wrong. I compared my "msconfig" start up tab with that of my freinds who had a cleaner system. He noticed that he had nothing like this. We did some research about it and found out how bad of a pragram it is. It's very hard to unistall since most versions of it do not actually create and go to the Newdotnet dir. like the company says it should. Instead it embeds it self in your windows dir. and reg files. When you try to remove it manually it somehow messes up you abbility to connect to the internet. The way I've read to do it is by disabling some of your reg files. Theres an easier way to get rid of it and a much safer way though, I'll get into that in a second.

The way to find out if you have it is simple. Just go to start and click run. Just type in "msconfig" and click on the starup tab. If you see anything that says "NewDotNet" or it sometimes shows up as 'new.net' or 'new.net startup' or anything to that affect you are infected with it. If you have it then go to the companys website. It's http://www.newdotnet.com. They have the propper removal instructions there and a program to remove it. I susspect they were forced to put a proper way to remove it to avoid legal action as it is a very dangerous file. There are many websites that I read about this program and how it crippled many systems. Also please note that Ad Aware and Spybot S&D will not find or get rid of it. The best way is to just go there website and select the unistall instructions. Don't listen to the things at the top about how this program can give you access to different websites that you can't normally get into, it's a scam and totally bogus. If infected go there and get the uninstall file and run it to get rid of it.

Edit: typos, my bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-03-31 00:17 ]</font>

Sai-Yuk
Mar 31, 2003, 03:21 AM
Sounds like the old spyware in audiogalaxy, before they fixed what it did when uninstalling it stopped you getting online... can't remember what it was called now, but, it did something to your registry (i guess... can't remember now) and altered some of your files...

even though i've installed nothing much recently, i'm going to check for this, just for something to do.

IF i have it, i'm going to do what i do when somebody emails me saying something like "O NO, THIS FILE SI BAD N IF U HAEV IT, UR COMP WILL BLOWS UP! DELTET IT NOE!"
...like when somebody forwarded an email telling me that the windows long file name restorer was spyware or something...

now to check.

Edit: Nope... Don't have it... I miss out on ALL the fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sai-Yuk on 2003-03-31 00:23 ]</font>

2Xtreme
Mar 31, 2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Guntz. I don't have that particular problem, but I think I can contribute to this topic's "Helping with spyware" theme. Here are some programs that no computer user should be without:

Ad-ware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/)
Like a virus scanner, but for spyware instead. This is a must have!

WebWasher (http://www.webwasher.com/client/download/index.html?lang=de_EN)
After starting up WebWasher, it runs in the background while you use any browser that you wish. It filters out ads on web sites (you DON'T see them!) and blocks pop-ups. It also blocks tracking cookies and spyware from being installed.

Kazaa Lite (http://www.kazaalite.com/)
If you're using Kazaa, and it isn't the Lite version, then you're crazy. Kazaa Lite is a hacked version of Kazaa. It's exactly the same, but sans the spyware and ads.

All those downloads are free, of course.

Sai-Yuk
Mar 31, 2003, 06:11 PM
On 2003-03-31 15:02, 2Xtreme wrote:
After starting up WebWasher, it runs in the background while you use any browser that you wish. It filters out ads on web sites (you DON'T see them!) and blocks pop-ups. It also blocks tracking cookies and spyware from being installed.

oohh... a new toy to add to my collection... lets see... firewall, partial firewall/virus checker, filter program...

if this checks out with some searching, then it'll replace my current filter, that worked quite well, but, it lacks a few things... heh... *wanders off to sate his paranoia*

Captain_Dude
Mar 31, 2003, 11:28 PM
Heh, I use WinMX and Direct Connect/DC++.
Trojan/Virus/Adware/Spyware free since they first started!
They're both really good too!
WinMX, the first place where I saw over 100 petabytes of possible data to download!
DC++ ...well... For those of you who like to download anime or video games or whatever, and have a share of over 10 gigs, you'd be in heaven on this thing!

Heh...

Piro-Skies
Apr 3, 2003, 02:46 PM
Hey, Thanks for that Guntz

I found it a few weeks ago and tried deleting the folder, it seriosuly screwed up my connection. Though a system restore fixed that.

-Piro Skies

Moogy
Apr 3, 2003, 05:23 PM
Hmm... I have NewDot~~ in my msconfig startup tab. Time to get rid of it.

EDIT: BALEETED!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Moogy on 2003-04-03 14:34 ]</font>

MadCowChuck_
Apr 3, 2003, 05:49 PM
Whaddya know...I got infected, too!

Hah!

Muchos Gracias, Guntz! Dunno what I'd do if my Internet got knocked out...kill myself probably.

Oh, and just for a good laugh:

We are very concerned about shipping reliable software. In fact, in an effort to avoid conflicts with other programs, we take steps that limit NewDotNet's functionality. Quite simply, NewDotNet looks for conflicting software components and does not install our components when a conflict is possible.

Yeah, and Datel releases things on time. Quite simply, this is crap.

Guntz348
Apr 3, 2003, 06:12 PM
No problem guys. It messed up my comp but not too too bad. I just wanted to help out and make sure no one else got messed up from it. I sent them an email about removing one of the files and said something about how I had hard time removing there trojan. In there reponse they said "And our software is NOT a trojan virus." Uhhh ok then how come people have said that there norton systems works have picked it up and removed it as a trojan. Anything that tinkers with your reg files is a virus, and when you try to delete it, crashes your internet.

Tavia
Apr 4, 2003, 03:14 PM
Although NewDotNet is not a virus nor a Trojan, it is definitely a nuisance, as aforementioned. However, if anyone does have it, do not be so alarmed as to believe your computer is "infected"; I do not mean to alarm anyone by saying this, but that is misinformation. Simply use the uninstall directions, and I recommend never installing any of that "browser add-on" software, as well. Very little of it is worthwhile or even truly legitimate and well-programmed.

-Eden-
Apr 5, 2003, 09:08 PM
File deleted, thank you. ADaware must have missed that.