PDA

View Full Version : Will they ever re-release PSO on a handheld?

r00tabaga
Feb 4, 2013, 10:59 PM
I can play Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio and other SEGA classics on the go. Why can't they port PSO over to my 3DS or Vita?
I would rather play Blue Burst over PSO2 any day. I doubt it would be that hard to do.....well the 3D for 3DS would but Zelda looked great.

I am just wishing here. Money would be made, I promise.

gigawuts
Feb 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
I would play the hell out of it, but I doubt they'll ever release PSO ever again - even in a classics collection. Between the essential requirement of online integration, and being based largely around being multiplayer for a lot of the content, I just can't see it happening due to server stuff.

Illegitimate ports, though...I guess anything you can get windows games to run on could handle PSOBB? Maybe some day that sort of thing will become totally ordinary on tablets, they're definitely getting more powerful by the year.

ROLO
Feb 4, 2013, 11:29 PM
I so wish they would do remakes with quicker battle systyems for the original PSO that'd be great!

Mike
Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 PM
I would play the hell out of it, but I doubt they'll ever release PSO ever again - even in a classics collection. Between the essential requirement of online integration, and being based largely around being multiplayer for a lot of the content, I just can't see it happening due to server stuff.
I don't know. Portable 2/i on the PSP were pretty close in functionality to the original PSOs. Heck, PSP2 suffered from one of the same problems that PSO did (continued to be until it was turned off?) with damage cancel until a patch fixed the issue. And if a handheld can manage similar games, then recent consoles shouldn't be much of a problem.

I think, rather than technical issues, monetary issues would be the biggest barrier to a PSO port on any system. PSO2 only came out fairly recently and seems to be doing quite well and a PSO port, without monetizing the game on a level similar to PSO2, would split the player base and reduce profits.

gigawuts
Feb 4, 2013, 11:51 PM
Well, what I meant was how much of the content was restricted to being online. Stuff like Galon's shop, and then quests that require 1-3 other players to even attempt. That's where a lot of the replayability was for most people, and certainly the best item hunting.

Then it'd need a server maintained for it, but that brings me to another point: they could implement a local network kind of thing, like a lot of games. Yeah, that would be susceptible to cheating, but by the sounds of things they let cheating go unchallenged on their maintained servers anyway.

My ideal PSO re-release would be one where you can locally host online content without any hassle whatsoever. Just get a bud and LAN it up. That would be absolutely perfect.

edit: I just called Galon Gannon.

Mike
Feb 5, 2013, 01:30 AM
Portable 2/i is pretty close in that matter as well. While the two games had a lot of content that could be enjoyed offline, it also had modes and missions that needed to played with someone else, like battle and c-mode. These could be done locally, with a few other players with PSPs, or online through a wireless internet connection. Almost all of the content was playable locally. I can only recall one mission in Infinity that absolutely required an internet connection.

Portable 2/i also has it's own server. It's more of a match-making server running games in a way much like PSO. The first player's PSP acts as the host and the servers simply direct players to it. The problem with servers for handheld games is that they come down quickly after the game has lost popularity. That said, Portable 2's servers, in as poor shape as they may be, are still up and Infinity's are still up in Japan.

The kind of game you're looking for is, without a doubt, perfectly possible and I think the later Portable games are decent examples of it. We just need Sega to notice that people are interested something.

Caledonia
Feb 5, 2013, 04:32 AM
Oddly enough I can see it coming out as an anniversary edition -just not this anniversary. We had PSO2 for the 10th anniversary, a re-make/launch would be 25th, 20th at the earliest.

But as Gigawuts said, illegitimate ports would happen before that. I half-way suspect they already have. (Though I honestly don't know how you'd play PSO on a tablet, without an R-button)

gigawuts
Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hm, shame I haven't got a PSP. That does sound pretty great. I've never been against playing PS solo, so I'd probably have a blast on the portable games - even offline.

For the tablet, there's ways to use controllers on them. It pretty much becomes a mobile screen & controller setup. If not for all the need for emulated software, I bet it could be run on a jailbroken vita or even smartphone, but all those hoops might add up to enough that it would be sluggish on current hardware. I really have nfi, I haven't looked at specs of modern hardware in years (I can't want it if I don't keep up with it!)

What I'd really love to see, though, is a hack for the wii u controller. I know it supposedly has minimal hardware and merely receives a stream of the game's video from the console itself, but that does still leave open options for other hardware to do the rendering (PC's, tablets, etc.) if you're going to have it nearby. It's much more of a hassle than the handheld idea, but still a pretty cool possibility if you ask me.

Caledonia
Feb 5, 2013, 07:17 PM
(I can't want it if I don't keep up with it!)

Oh, that's where I'm going wrong.

What I'd really love to see, though, is a hack for the wii u controller. I know it supposedly has minimal hardware and merely receives a stream of the game's video from the console itself, but that does still leave open options for other hardware to do the rendering (PC's, tablets, etc.) if you're going to have it nearby. It's much more of a hassle than the handheld idea, but still a pretty cool possibility if you ask me.

This is pure genius.

Practically though, It'll be difficult to get hands on an official Wii-U development kit, even the homebrew chaps will take a while to work out moding the controller efficiently enough that it's programmable without mega-lag. Far more likely that the next gen PSP/DS would have the hardware and by and by, the mods to run a hack on.

Then again, the number of projects in my uni days that required connecting a wiimote to a pc/projector/lighting-system(that one was fun) suggests there are already people working on it (if only for academia).

yoshiblue
Feb 13, 2013, 03:48 PM
Would be awesome to see a PSO revamp make it on the 3DS and to have worldwide online play again. I approve!

JCGamer
Feb 16, 2013, 11:08 AM
Android devices lol can do it.
If you know how to do application coding for it and run the application. remember emulator and android are been around now and all depend on how well you know about these application with emulator. I seen many android devices ruining the game before and been made with many open resource with android. but its all about the know how and Google search for it :)

here a video give an idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFauF8y-q-Q

please note this is just older video
but they been improving these application for while now
and its all depend on how good your Android devices can run it :) without causing no lag when playing these video game ^.^