PDA

View Full Version : Problem after chapter 0.

Asonohara
Feb 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
I've redone the chapter 3 times already because when I go to camp for the first time at the end of the chapter and there's a long conversation between the guy you meet and some girl on the ship I get the loading screen for the campsite and all I hear is music and I can still use the text box but nothing comes up all I get is a black loading screen. Help?

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
I've redone the chapter 3 times already because when I go to camp for the first time at the end of the chapter and there's a long conversation between the guy you meet and some girl on the ship I get the loading screen for the campsite and all I hear is music and I can still use the text box but nothing comes up all I get is a black loading screen. Help?

I have a very similar problem. I added a whole bunch of information to this spoiler box just in case any of it can be used by anyone willing to help.
[SPOILER-BOX]

Location: Right after the tutorial, and going into chapter 0 /very first cut scene of chapter 0
System: Computer
Dial-up or Broadband: Broadband
Internet Service: Comcast
What type of Broadband: Cable
If Broadband, what type of modem: ethernet connection
How you are setting it up: linked through computer
If using a router, what type: Netgear and wireless (about 18ft /5.4meters through 2 walls, signal still reads as "Very Good")
Description of error:
[SPOILER-BOX]

Leading into the chapter 0 mission, just after the tutorial, I enter the zone sucssesfully.

Soon after the game goes into a cut scene that shows the time/date stuff of the story and that dissapers, then so do the two arrows [^ and v] that i belive to show internet connectivity in the upper right hand corner of the screen. They still show some interaction from time to time, but the black screen persists as if in a loop.

I have all patches that the file check allows me to have, and re-downloading them to a seporate location didn't solve the problem either.

Also, I have not gone out of my way to get any patches outside of the file checker (ex. english patches).

I've tried deleting and remaking my character on ships: 1-4 [didn't work]

As well as completly turning off my firewalls & anti-virus software.

UnLucky just tested to see if the recent paching [2/20/2013] was the issue but she got through everything just fine. This means that the recent patching doesn't seem to have any defects as was discussed on page 2 of this thread, though it may have been the case that the patching was not fully or properly downloaded.

I've updated the latest version of DirectX.

Made my graphics setting for the game as far down as they can go.

Also have my PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 folder directly on the C:/ drive so as to avoid an possible permission issues.

I have all the latest downloads form Windows Update.

I have cleared (pretty much) all malware that could be found on my computer. No progress.

[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]
If anymore information is needed, I will add it as an edit to this post as well as answering with a reply.
It seems that, at this point in time, this is a hardware issue.
At this point, I just want to figure out whats happening here so that no one else has to deal with this like I have.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
Im on ship 2, and no, i havent tried that. Then again, i have no idea where the "delete character" thing would even be.
Some simple directions would be nice to get started.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
Did you try deleting and remaking your character? What ship are you on?
I tried it but it didn't help. Exact same problem as before.
As I said before though, what i'm really hoping will work is re-downloading the patches. If that fails above all else then I can't play Pso2 anymore. ^^;

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 05:50 PM
Do you have any sort of Anti-Virus/Firewalls?
I dont think thats the problem, but if you're suggesting I go and do a round with them off I can give it a shot.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
The firewalls may be allowing you into the game, but when you attempt to enter the lobby, it prevents the packets from getting through. This would explain the arrows (as it's attempting to send/recieve information) along with the black screen (it attempting over and over and over).

Try turning the firewalls/antivirus all the way off, then finish it and see if it still happens.

Well, unless there is a firewall or anti-virus system installed on my computer that im unaware of, that didnt work either.

Edit: I'm actually looking for one now^, Its that bad.

I'm still betting on the patches.

Maronji
Feb 21, 2013, 07:08 PM
Now that I think about it, this very problem happened in an older version of the English Story Patch. The problem was that there was a quotation mark missing, so the game was expecting more input that was never going to come.

Therefore, I'm willing to bet that, based on that logic, Sega screwed something up on Chapter 00 and it's going to need to be patched (and soon). However, we're going to need a greater sample size than two players to accurately say that there's something wrong with the mission itself.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
Well then... I have two questions about this perticular problem
1. For how long has it been going on?
We both only posted these today so it makes me think something happened with the update or something. [that or we just didn't get a patch or two from the file checker for some reason, i'll be able to test that some time tommorow hopefully]
2. How the heck am i supposed to fix it?
Most annoying bug/issue ever. Absilutely 0 posting of anything like this of all the google searches i've done so far.

Maronji
Feb 21, 2013, 07:36 PM
1. For how long has it been going on?
Well, I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that it definitely wasn't happening before the Advance Quest update because I ran through that with my story-fodder character, and I wouldn't have been able to progress otherwise (unless there was an issue even that far back and Kion stealth-fixed it, but I somehow doubt that). I can only assume that the minor addition(s) they gave to Chapter 00 is/are the culprit somehow.

2. How the heck am i supposed to fix it?
If I'm on the right track, you don't. It's a problem in the script files themselves that Sega will have to fix. Like I said, it's possible that they missed something (like a closing quotation mark) when they added in the one or two things for Chapter 00 and the game is expecting input because of that missed quotation mark. However, there is nothing left in the sequence to send you through, so it doesn't know how to handle it and hangs.

On the other hand, the only other possible answer is that something is wrong with your copy of the files for that mission, either because they were corrupted or because the patcher/checker did not actually complete successfully.

There IS one last-ditch fix you could try (that is not guaranteed to fix the problem, but hell, we're basically out of options at this point). Attempt to skip the event using the "Esc" key and see if that gets you through it or if it gets you to the black screen faster.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 07:46 PM
There IS one last-ditch fix you could try (that is not guaranteed to fix the problem, but hell, we're basically out of options at this point). Attempt to skip the event using the "Esc" key and see if that gets you through it or if it gets you to the black screen faster.

Tell me how that would work, because i'm pretty sure all the "Esc" key does is open up the main toolbar or w/e it's called when im in the game.

If I'm on the right track, you don't. It's a problem in the script files themselves that Sega will have to fix. Like I said, it's possible that they missed something (like a closing quotation mark) when they added in the one or two things for Chapter 00 and the game is expecting input because of that missed quotation mark. However, there is nothing left in the sequence to send you through, so it doesn't know how to handle it and hangs.

And if it's a waiting game that im playing with SEGA as to when they fix a that patch that we all just got yesterday[2 days ago?], i dont think i can handdle it. after a week of trying to get it working, another week, or longer, is asking quite a bit.

However, we're going to need a greater sample size than two players to accurately say that there's something wrong with the mission itself.

We could tell 'em to make a new character and try to play past the tutorial. I'd like to see what happens if one of their tech guys acctually tries that.
edit: gotta find the problem first though.

Maronji
Feb 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Re-reading the first two posts... Yeah, until we can figure out what the problem is (or Sega manages to patch it before next maintenance), you're pretty much boned.

I have some extra AC that I might use to make another character at some point that I could use to test, but I'm not entirely sure if my situation permits (IRL issues; don't wanna get into it) at the moment.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
One of the issues here is that (from what little i know of this topic) you can only have one character, so it sort of dissuades the masses that would have the largest impact on SEGA from having this issue in the first place. Which is great and all, unless you want to start a character like me.

Edit: That would be much obliged UnLucky [post below v]

UnLucky
Feb 21, 2013, 10:14 PM
I just created a new character with a friend on Monday. We got to about lv10 before signing off. I'll go see if the game craps out on me if I make another.

Edit: Made a totally fresh account, new character, the whole works.

Did you get far enough to see this?
http://i.imgur.com/R6iPVyM.png

Cause I got into the lobby, started the first quest: Subdue Za Oodan, successfully hopped into the world and leveled up.

If it makes a difference, I chose the bottom option when given a choice, which disables the tutorial prompts, and skipped through all the cutscenes with ESC (and choosing yes).

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 10:41 PM
Eh... just us then. Thanks for the help UnLucky. I've been re-downloading the patches for the past 5 hours. I hope it helps. If not im gonna have to get someone to email them to me...
Thanks again.

Edit:

If it makes a difference, I chose the bottom option when given a choice, which disables the tutorial prompts, and skipped through all the cutscenes with ESC (and choosing yes).

I havent tried that yet. I'll have to go through and do that.

Altier
Feb 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
So im at the first cut scene of chapter 0 right after the tutorial. The issue here isnt something that can be skipped. Its in the loading phase that its getting stuck. Im seeing scares signs that there is some interaction between my computer and where ever it gets the cut scene information (im seeing the little arrows: v and ^ : poping up from time to time). The rate that this is happening though doesn't show any signs of actually loading the cut scene.
So basicly, i'm just on my own dealing with this problem now.
Edit: I'll post whatever i can find out of any relevance.

Anduril
Feb 22, 2013, 01:51 AM
Just to be sure, since I don't think I saw this asked or addressed, are you using any of the English patches?

Altier
Feb 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
If you let it sit at the black screen, does the game crash or loop forever or give you an error in japanese? Also, try deleting your character and remaking them on another ship. I just made a new Sega ID, so I'll see if it happens to me as well.

Hang in there, we'll find a solution :)

You're one heck of a tech support AIDA. :D
I'll give it a shot.

The Black screen seems to be in a loop. I let it sit for about 45min and, while the arrows (v and ^) were popping up from time to time, they didnt seem to be going at any rate that would indicate they were being of any help. (ex. trading the needed amounts of information to actually load anything.)

Edit: I reorganized the list of things that have been checked off. Also, I have alot to do today so I may not be posting as quickly as I would normally be doing. I'll get all my progress submited by the end of the day though.

Edit:
Also, try deleting your character and remaking them on another ship.

I made a progress report for this in the "Discription of error" Spoiler Box [#5]
(FYI: Inside the first Spoiler box on the first page of this thread)

Altier
Feb 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
It seems like it might simply be a problem rendering the game. Try the following steps:

1) Update DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35)

2) Update your drivers

3) Reduce your graphics settings

4) Avoid permission issues

Let me know if those work.

My only hope here is updating my drivers before I do my current last two resort steps.

Altier
Feb 22, 2013, 07:10 PM
AMD/ATI's driver checker couldn't find anything either: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx
Nvidia's driver checker couldn't find a GPU: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

And im doing the Windows one right now.
Edit: it wasn't very helpful, but if i can just delete the errors it pointed out to me I should be fine, right?
I'm on a strict $0 budget for this game, so I can't go and buy anything just to play it. The Microsoft site is asking me to pay for the stuff it recommends.

I'll make another SEGA ID while I wait for a reply.

Altier
Feb 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
Delete the errors it pointed out to you? What pointed out errors to you? And you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Can you elaborate?

When you metioned "Windows Update" there was a link on it, so i clicked it. It brought me to a page: http://www.informationgetter.com/results2.aspx?keywords=windows+update, but the link disapeared... o_o

Edit: and uhh... it doesn't say you edited your submission either.... oh no.

Edit2: I've never had to do windows update before, so if there wasnt a link i would have looked up how to do it. Naturally though, because there was one, i clicked it... Random links shouldn't be occuring on this site i'd assume. Now i have some random downloader junk on my computer... that'll be fun to find.

Edit3: Aside from all the excitement, i'm missing all the updates for the 15th of this month for whatever reason, important and not alike, and a few here and there across the rest of my history.

Edit4: All updates installed.

Altier
Feb 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
It sounds like you might have some malware on your computer - Try using MABM (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/?1) and letting it do a full scan. Post the results here (A screenshot would work, hit print screen, then go to http://snag.gy/, Hit Ctrl + V to paste the screen, then paste the link it gives you here)

Certain malware could (Although very unlikely) be blocking your connection to the game's servers.

I forgot to uh... forgot to post the results of the scaning... O_O
I'll check the logs for some results in thats possible.

Edit: I'm starting to get excited that this will finally work. I can't spell or say anything right.

Altier
Feb 23, 2013, 02:26 AM
Are you sure Windows Firewall is turned off? It tends to reset itself to on from time to time.

This is what im seeing

I'm not turning off my firewall until this scan is done.

Edit: It's getting worse. Those links all have adds for micosoft products.

Edit2:When I hover over some of these it says "Clcik to Continue > by Supreme Savings"
While others just pop up with a add.
[SPOILER-BOX]2617[/SPOILER-BOX]

Altier
Feb 23, 2013, 02:37 AM
What browser are you using?

Internet Explorer
This has never happend before, and its starting to get annoying. The scan hasn't picked up anything else.
Scaning#2 log (most hits)
[SPOILER-BOX]2618[/SPOILER-BOX]

UnLucky
Feb 23, 2013, 02:56 AM
Get something like "Spybot-Search and Destroy" and/or "SpywareBlaster" to block a lot of browser crap.

Or get Firefox/Chrome and an Adblock extension.

(no links in my post)

UnLucky
Feb 23, 2013, 03:28 AM
should all be free for personal use

Altier
Feb 23, 2013, 09:02 AM
should all be free for personal use

As in trial free? or limited usage free?

Get something like "Spybot-Search and Destroy" and/or "SpywareBlaster" to block a lot of browser crap.

Or get Firefox/Chrome and an Adblock extension.

(no links in my post)

Edit: I'd actually like a full link for those because I've tried going to the sites, but it's somewhat confusing. Like I'm going around in circles. I'd rather not accidently download something that I don't need to use again.

Altier
Feb 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
I'm still working on getting rid of the malware. Trying as much as I can. I'll let you know when I'm... pretty much done.

Edit: Alright, malware is all gone, supposedly. Still not working. I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue at this point.

Altier
Feb 24, 2013, 03:55 PM
The problem was (as far as is known) resolved. I gave my account oto a friend to get passed the past the cut scene that I kept getting stuck on. This worked because the issue was a local one, so she was able to pass it even if I wasn't.

Aeris
Feb 25, 2013, 06:25 AM
AMD/ATI's driver checker couldn't find anything either: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx
Nvidia's driver checker couldn't find a GPU: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

And im doing the Windows one right now.
Edit: it wasn't very helpful, but if i can just delete the errors it pointed out to me I should be fine, right?
I'm on a strict $0 budget for this game, so I can't go and buy anything just to play it. The Microsoft site is asking me to pay for the stuff it recommends.

I'll make another SEGA ID while I wait for a reply.

What is the name of your gpu on your laptop or desktop, are you using a intel gpu, also i never use the driver checker, i manually update mine rather than some program checking whats on the computer for a better driver.

wolf111
Aug 30, 2016, 01:59 PM
I also have a similiar problem although it starts much earlier just after i create a character i have two cutscenes and then Afin joins my party to do what i assume is the tutorial. I can see the game trying to switch to Planet Naberius Forest Area 1 but nothing is happening and i can use the ingame chatfunction to type but i cant do anything else. Has there been any progress on this in the last 2 years?

EDIT :
I resolved this issue by reinstalling and playing past the first mission without the english patches and then reenabling them , this seems to be working so far