PDA

View Full Version : (Rumor thread)Foreign Credit Cards are Now Accepted By Sega JP

Jonoe
Mar 6, 2013, 07:07 PM
So I heard from someone that foreign credit cards are now accepted by Sega.jp can someone post a source for this? I tried googling for any news and couldn't find any.

Zipzo
Mar 6, 2013, 07:11 PM
So I heard from someone that foreign credit cards are now accepted by Sea.jp can someone post a source for this? I tried googling for any news and couldn't find any.

Attempted to use my foreign (USA) card last week and it was denied. Ended going through my japanese card as a result so。。。

Ezodagrom
Mar 6, 2013, 07:41 PM
I tried it monday, my card was denied.

gigawuts
Mar 6, 2013, 07:47 PM
Someone should maybe try it today, given the thread was posted...today.

Kazzi
Mar 6, 2013, 08:06 PM

Just tried it with a UK Visa card and it was denied.

blace
Mar 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
So, where did you hear about it?

Zipzo
Mar 6, 2013, 08:17 PM

He didn't specify when he "heard" this information nor is it unhelpful to provide such information should it not be the case that he heard it today...

TaigaUC
Mar 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
I've been trying for weeks. Still doesn't work.
I thought everyone already established that it only works with certain cards.

Unless the OP is talking about sea.jp and not SEGA. In which case, I wouldn't know.

~Aya~
Mar 6, 2013, 08:30 PM
Card gets denied and they tell you to contact your bank. Your bank then tells you that it is up to the merchant and has nothing to do with your bank even as you see your banks logo popup with security checks and such mid purchase attempt.

gigawuts
Mar 6, 2013, 08:36 PM
Just tried it with a UK Visa card and it was denied.

Yeah, I figured, but we just had a downtime and this has crept up and lasted 72 hours once before. This is good enough confirmation for me, though.

Mopop
Mar 6, 2013, 11:29 PM
What exactly is the reason for them to not take the credit cards? All they are doing is making the web money merchants richer. People would probably buy more AC if there wasn't any mark up.

blace
Mar 6, 2013, 11:32 PM
What exactly is the reason for them to not take the credit cards? All they are doing is making the web money merchants richer. People would probably buy more AC if there wasn't any mark up.

Something to do with their systems not taking any money from the cards used. Around launch for the game, people were effectively getting free AC if they used a foreign card to make purchases.

The same happened last time as well. I made an AC purchase only to never be charged for it.

Sizustar
Mar 7, 2013, 02:38 AM

It has more to do with the Japanese bank.
As purchase made to Japanese merchant, Dlsite, Sega(Origionally) the payment aren't processed immediately, and tend to get processed till the end of the month.
What happened was apprantly, some people once they realize this, buy a bunch of AC, then tell their bank that their card was stolen, as the payment isn't processed till end of month, Sega never got the fund.
Aka. Not worth the trouble to work with it.

Zyrusticae
Mar 7, 2013, 02:47 AM
Relevant to this thread: My account management page is now in English. No google translate or anything.

I am utterly confused.

https://cxvqtw.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1pugSf4SpnrIYlsAHLygC99phW6p6d8l7eVdEPkccf3UGf65o bi2uNcPPi3I0-sZKzTfYn-nqpyJg/AC%20Page.jpg?psid=1

Sizustar
Mar 7, 2013, 02:50 AM
Relevant to this thread: My account management page is now in English. No google translate or anything.

I am utterly confused.

https://cxvqtw.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1pugSf4SpnrIYlsAHLygC99phW6p6d8l7eVdEPkccf3UGf65o bi2uNcPPi3I0-sZKzTfYn-nqpyJg/AC%20Page.jpg?psid=1

It could be like Google, changing itself to suit your system language setting, like mine is in Japanese or Chinese depending if I'm on my desktop or lapto.

Zarode
Mar 7, 2013, 03:06 AM
When google translates like that, though, it's still in pretty broken Engrish.

Mike
Mar 7, 2013, 03:39 AM

I am utterly confused.

You aren't using that browser plugin that Kion is working on, are you?

Zyrusticae
Mar 7, 2013, 05:05 AM
Ah, the plugin! I completely forgot that that was a part of it. I only got it for the emergency code notification. That explains it.

fay
Mar 7, 2013, 07:12 AM
Pretty certain I know the reason actually. This guy I have subscribed to on Youtube lives in Japan and does Japan videos. In one of them, people wanted to buy Japanese items from him via Ebay, but he had a lot of trouble with it and eventually gave up. The reason is, over here (here as in UK and America) in our banks we write our names like Ben Johnson (not my name by the way). In japan they are written like "Johnson Ben" which make the credit check fail when they compare banks. In addition, the Japanese names are meant to be written in Katakana making it worse.

Basically, for you to use your own bank card and have it work smoothly, you name when signing up for the bank would need to be in katakana and also backwards.
And that can't happen as our banks wouldn't take us on then.

Zenobia
Mar 7, 2013, 07:15 AM
Card gets denied and they tell you to contact your bank. Your bank then tells you that it is up to the merchant and has nothing to do with your bank even as you see your banks logo popup with security checks and such mid purchase attempt.

Pretty much this and completely overlooked~

Zorafim
Mar 7, 2013, 02:11 PM
The reason is, over here (here as in UK and America) in our banks we write our names like Ben Johnson (not my name by the way). In japan they are written like "Johnson Ben" which make the credit check fail when they compare banks. In addition, the Japanese names are meant to be written in Katakana making it worse.

That is an amazingly stupid place to get stuck on. I can write a program in five minutes that fixes that with no foresight. Heck, I learned how to fix that my first semester of programming!

fay
Mar 7, 2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I could fix it myself most likely.
However that's what he said the problem was. The Japanese banks compared to our banks don't match up because of this. This is the reason he can't use paypal properly.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 7, 2013, 02:31 PM
I've bought things form japan on ebay using paypal without any issues at all O_o.

UnLucky
Mar 7, 2013, 02:51 PM
But the idea is PayPal verifies your bank account and flags your PAYPAL account as verified. No one other than PayPal needs your bank info.

gigawuts
Mar 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
I doubt the problem breaks down to an hour's job worth of troubleshooting. Or, if it does, they have other reasons for not fixing it.

It's more likely they didn't even want foreigners to be able to pay, but won't just up and ban us either. It's probably their way of making sure it's not super easy for foreigners to want to play the JP version when the international version launches.

Alisha
Mar 7, 2013, 03:53 PM
it is bizzare because i remember on pso ver 2 on DC your payment went to SoJ not SoA. because there was some variance in the monthly amount due to exchange rates. i suspect the problem is not sega at all but rather the company they use to process credit card payments. its probally just a local entitity that isnt equiped to deal with currency exchanges/conversion.

UnLucky
Mar 8, 2013, 01:56 PM
I checked my Visa bill and there's definitely a charge going to Japan for PSO2, so someone out there has my money.

Sizustar
Mar 8, 2013, 06:39 PM
I doubt the problem breaks down to an hour's job worth of troubleshooting. Or, if it does, they have other reasons for not fixing it.

It's more likely they didn't even want foreigners to be able to pay, but won't just up and ban us either. It's probably their way of making sure it's not super easy for foreigners to want to play the JP version when the international version launches.

No, it's more of the Japanese bank.
I use other paid Japanese service, Dlsite, Niconico, etc.
And all of their charge even if I paid early or in the middle of the month.
Doesn't go through the the end of the month, or the beginning of next month.
So Sega saying it's bank problem is understandable.

Venna
Mar 9, 2013, 09:14 AM
If your still having problems, maybe this will help?
http://pewpewplusplus.blogspot.nl/2012/07/guide-to-purchasing-ac-in-pso2-from.html

Jonoe
Mar 9, 2013, 09:08 PM
Sorry if I confused anyone. I was trying to validate whether my teammate was telling the truth or not regarding foreign credit cards. Here's the article that lead to my teammate's statement. Somehow she was able to purchase AC with her credit card.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/sega-taking-your-money-again/

Ezodagrom
Mar 9, 2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry if I confused anyone. I was trying to validate whether my teammate was telling the truth or not regarding foreign credit cards. Here's the article that lead to my teammate's statement. Somehow she was able to purchase AC with her credit card.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/sega-taking-your-money-again/
That happened in the early days of January, it was possible to buy AC, but once SEGA's new year vacation was over, it wasn't possible to buy AC anymore with foreign cards.