PDA

View Full Version : Why do people put up with these drop rates?

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 02:29 AM
Has there ever been a game where you could invest hundreds of hours into farming and not get a single item you can use?

I still have yet to find a 10 star gun, and I have done several hundred Advance Quests.

I'm starting to wonder why we put up with this. You're basically spending all this time on your character, but your progress is at a complete standstill.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 02:31 AM
Has there ever been a game where you could invest hundreds of hours into farming and not get a single item you can use?

I still have yet to find a 10 star gun, and I have done several hundred Advance Quests.

I'm starting to wonder why we put up with this. You're basically spending all this time on your character, but your progress is at a complete standstill.

Welcome to Hunting game, that's the way it's always been pretty much.
Sega isn't forcing you to play, you can always go play something else.

Kondibon
Mar 14, 2013, 02:31 AM
Because there's no other end game but they still want a reason to play besides "for fun" maybe? I personally don't go out of my way to look for rares and probably won't be able to equip the 10 stars anyway.

Zyrusticae
Mar 14, 2013, 02:44 AM
See, the good thing is that there's plenty of not-quite-rare-but-still-good items you can use even if your luck isn't so hot (the red weapons, a lot of lambda stuff), and your performance doesn't really suffer that much for using them instead of the highest-of-the-high end available at the time.

Of course, there are those who MUST have the highest stats possible at all times, and those players should know what they're getting into (i.e. a potentially frustrating grind that may never see them gaining anything in the way of fruit). And still others just want something that happens to look really badass. Those guys I feel for, but with the huge variety of weapons in this game they should have no problems finding easier-to-find stuff that they do happen to like the look of. (Personally, I really dislike ALL of the exchange weapons' skins and refuse to use them specifically for this reason.)

I do think they're going a little overboard, as they can still string along those uber-hardcore players by encouraging them to find more of the same weapon for element boosting and such, and there's still the pain of grinding and affixing those items, but frankly, if SEGA's seeing stable player numbers with this setup, I can't say they're actually doing anything wrong.

DreamState83
Mar 14, 2013, 02:49 AM
I remember in PSO1 on the dreamcast spending 5 months trying to get the Psycho-Wand. After I finally got it, I never went out of my way for rares again.

ArcaneTechs
Mar 14, 2013, 02:56 AM
It's Sakai's way of keeping you playing, Im pretty much frustrated with these bs drop rates seeing how the only 10 stars Ive found commonly are the Elder weps, Lateria Rain, Dig Pillar off an AQ which to my surprise dropped but didnt want.

Spent one week looking for the Divine Tsukuyomi hunting Ran's all day, finally drops for me and then the White Day E mission comes out pretty much making all my effort I put in for nothing. going on 4 weeks of no 10 star weps, just common 10 star units.

idk, i should just be one of those "come online for the e missions and im off" guys and pick up 10 stars like its nothing

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 02:57 AM
This game has rates that make PSOv2 look like a philanthropist, and Ep1&2 like they're just giving shit away.
It's pretty bad, but I suppose it's to be expected for a F2P game.

DreamState83
Mar 14, 2013, 03:00 AM
I know I'm probably the minority here, but I'd rather not have the best gear equipped in a game like this. I prefer challenging content (well, as much as it can be) and marathon-length boss fights. I actually dread the day I get high end rares and start plowing through bosses without any effort (assuming that's what happens) :3

Retehi
Mar 14, 2013, 03:02 AM
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/donkey-carrot-stick1.jpg

Not to insult you, but it's how I felt to.

Yden
Mar 14, 2013, 03:04 AM
It's Sakai's way of keeping you playing, Im pretty much frustrated with these bs drop rates seeing how the only 10 stars Ive found commonly are the Elder weps, Lateria Rain, Dig Pillar off an AQ which to my surprise dropped but didnt want.

Spent one week looking for the Divine Tsukuyomi hunting Ran's all day, finally drops for me and then the White Day E mission comes out pretty much making all my effort I put in for nothing. going on 4 weeks of no 10 star weps, just common 10 star units.

idk, i should just be one of those "come online for the e missions and im off" guys and pick up 10 stars like its nothing

It's not PSO2 exclusive. It's an MMO thing in general. Low drop rates for items have been used as a method to extend the life of a game for a long time. The grinding isn't as bad as games like Ragnarok Online where there's like a 0.01% chance for a boss card who are on hour respawn timers.

ArcaneTechs
Mar 14, 2013, 03:04 AM
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/donkey-carrot-stick1.jpg

this is probably everyone trying to get the rares they want.

Esofor
Mar 14, 2013, 03:06 AM
It's not PSO2 exclusive. It's an MMO thing in general. Low drop rates for items have been used as a method to extend the life of a game for a long time. The grinding isn't as bad as games like Ragnarok Online where there's like a 0.01% chance for a boss card who are on hour respawn timers.

but it was definitely many times more fun to hunt some bosses on RO, especially in low rates where we needed parties on parties with good organization to kill 1 boss

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 03:10 AM
but it was definitely many times more fun to hunt some bosses on RO, especially in low rates where we needed parties on parties with good organization to kill 1 boss

Not really, I'm having as much fun as in RO as in PSO2, but it's mainly the community that you join, I guess.

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 03:30 AM

I've played every major MMO including Ragnarok and I've never experienced rates this bad, to be honest with you.

Welcome to Hunting game, that's the way it's always been pretty much.
Sega isn't forcing you to play, you can always go play something else.

It's always been this way? Do you mean in other Phantasy Star games? Because that's wrong. It's never been remotely this bad.

"Sega isn't forcing you to play" - thanks for stating the obvious. However, I'm a longtime Phantasy Star fan and I think I do have the right to be disappointed.

Anatha
Mar 14, 2013, 03:38 AM
I know I'm probably the minority here, but I'd rather not have the best gear equipped in a game like this. I prefer challenging content (well, as much as it can be) and marathon-length boss fights. I actually dread the day I get high end rares and start plowing through bosses without any effort (assuming that's what happens) :3

That's not how it ends up, there's always something that is going to pose a challenge in some sense.

Now if it's you and 3 equally great geared friends, things ease up a bit. Even so, the way the game is built around avoiding damage rather than soaking it, you end up needing to pay more attention based on that alone.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 03:38 AM
I dunno about you but I find a lot of 10* stuff...not a lot of it I want to use, but I never really found what I wanted in PSO either. They're letting us sell 10* weapons soon and maybe trade. why not look forward to that instead of being negative about it?

Kion
Mar 14, 2013, 03:43 AM
Sega makes the best items rare to round out the player experience. They don't want the people ahead getting too far ahead, and generally make previous items easier to get when new content is added. So if you wait, everything will get easier to attain. On the other hand if you wait, you end up behind the curve with no one to play the game with so you end up sitting at work hitting refresh on pso-world.com all day wondering why the fuck you don't have anything else to waste your time on.

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
On the other hand if you wait, you end up behind the curve

How so?

I have played constantly for the last month. I've put in countless hours, and I haven't gotten any items.

I'm no more behind or ahead of the curve than I already was.

How will that be different a month from now? There's no guarantee that I'll make any progress on my character, regardless of whether I wait or play.

Hopefully I'm getting my point across correctly.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 03:56 AM
How so?

I have played constantly for the last month. I've put in countless hours, and I haven't gotten any items.

I'm no more behind or ahead of the curve than I already was.

How will that be different a month from now? There's no guarantee that I'll make any progress on my character, regardless of whether I wait or play.

Hopefully I'm getting my point across correctly.

You feel drop rate on rare is to low, others don't.
And some people don't mind.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 14, 2013, 03:58 AM
I'd like to mention the time I got 3 10 stars during the one valentines eq awhile ago

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 04:06 AM
You feel drop rate on rare is to low, others don't

There are actually people who think the rates are OK?

so far, everyone I've encountered feels that the drop situation with PSO2 is really grim and depressing.

no matter how many hours you dedicate to the game, there's a good chance you'll never get the item you want.

Blackheart521
Mar 14, 2013, 04:11 AM
I honestly never actively hunted specific rares in PSO Ep 1&2 and have yet to in PSO2 so the frustration isn't really there yet for me, there's plenty of other stuff to do for me, rares will come in time while doing other things and 10 star trading will help a bit in getting certain rares.

I honestly welcome any rare that I find that's new even if it doesn't pertain to my class but that's just because I have a collectors mindset of wanting things even if I'm not going to use them. ^^;

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 04:21 AM
They're letting us sell 10* weapons soon and maybe trade. why not look forward to that instead of being negative about it?The fact that you need to be premium to even BUY the damn things (and sacrifice a non-welfare 10* you already have to be given the privilege to sell them) is already a huge turn-off.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 04:30 AM
I realize that, but I mean...I found 4 magical wands in the forest AQ and have found lots of other junk...junk that most people wouldn't buy anyway. They're supposed to be making grinding easier making grinders less valuable. I mean what the hell else are you going to do with your 3rd elder rod when they only sell for 10k?

The premium part sucks outloud, but we all know premium is one of those things that a lot of the customer base has been saying wasn't worth it. This is another dig at pulling in more premium users. People will complain about this too and I'm sure soon enough will get eased up on.

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 04:48 AM
3rd Elder Rod? I haven't even seen the first!

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 04:50 AM
lol it'll happen. My friend's gotten 5 elder rifles already. just watch, you'll be swimming in SOME 10* item you dont want and everyone else already has.

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 05:10 AM

The funny thing about this picture is that it's true 100%
What I mean is:
-When you try to get something, it just won't come to you. (lol carrot come here!!!)
-When you stop trying to get something, it will come to you. (Inertia > Gravity + tension swings carrot back to you...nomnomnom)

Shinamori
Mar 14, 2013, 05:15 AM
I buy rares from player shop. =P

Agitated_AT
Mar 14, 2013, 05:19 AM
Because not everyone cares about collecting rares as priority. Give people incentive to collect rares, instead of purely for collecting reason, and more people will complain.

But as of right now rares aren't a necessity. Everything in the game can be done just fine with the average weapon. Even underpowered equips can do the job, dare I say make the game even more fun.

There ya have it poupelle

Shinamori
Mar 14, 2013, 05:23 AM
I was doing 1000+ on Dark Flaz hard with my +5 Alva Sword when doing Over End. I'm only on level 33.

NoiseHERO
Mar 14, 2013, 05:24 AM

/thread

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
I was doing 1000+ on Dark Flaz hard with my +5 Alva Sword when doing Over End. I'm only on level 33.
Hardly anyone cares about hard mode.

VH is what counts

Alisha
Mar 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
the problem i have with this is that they made rares easier to find in infinity so this feels like a backpedal. dios despertars a 16 star twin saber was nowhere near as rare as some of the shit in this game.

Agitated_AT
Mar 14, 2013, 05:30 AM

VH is what counts

You mean you think very hard is very hard?

I mean do you think VH can't be done with average "hard" mode equips?

The last thing I did on VH was tunnels with my lvl 41 character. It was quite a joke, especially with the "VH" label slapped on it. Maybe they should change the difficulty names because their definitions aren't really describing the experiences

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 05:32 AM

Make the stick about 50 feet longer and it'll be an accurate representation of this game.

People who find the shit they want right away are the cases where the string breaks.

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 05:40 AM

The last thing I did on VH was tunnels with my lvl 41 character. It was quite a joke, especially with the "VH" label slapped on it. Maybe they should change the difficulty names because their definitions aren't really describing the experiences
Er, where did I say/imply that?

Of course it's doable with hard mode equips, even barehands.
VH is a joke? W/e, still fun for me.

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 05:43 AM
VH wasn't that difficult in PSO1 either. Except Seabed.

Agitated_AT
Mar 14, 2013, 05:49 AM
Er, where did I say/imply that?

Of course it's doable with hard mode equips, even barehands.
VH is a joke? W/e, still fun for me.

Yeah i'm not saying it's not fun. I can get a bit of enjoyment out of the game every now and then too. But I would like it more if the game encouraged me to get everything out of the game.

The OP is asking why nobody is complaining except for the weapon collector purists. It makes sense that people are fine with average weapons because they do the trick anywhere. As of now all these great features like subclasses, grinding and powerful rares have only made the game more easy to me. I was looking forward to finally use the subclass feature because i didnt wanna use it on hard sucking out all of the enjoyment, but it seemed VH plus subclass made VH easier than hard was without subclass. At least in my experience it was. Dunno about anyone else

VH wasn't that difficult in PSO1 either. Except Seabed.
For how the game was designed(to prevent anyone starting about how different the game was and how there was no dodge move for example), it actually was. I think memories are deceiving you

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 05:50 AM
i dont think something like this would happen in pso1 tho

Ifeel kinda sorry for the little corn nosed things now.

PSO2-Diggs - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLNxHrq3mw)

Agitated_AT
Mar 14, 2013, 06:13 AM

Lol wow, that's odd. But i guess even if they were able to hit her/him. It would still make the AI look slow and dumb. Let's wait for the next difficulty. And when the next difficulty is another stretch mode, we wait for difficulty mode after....

ofcourse i'm being sarcastic. But that's the mentality i've been seeing around here. It's not about having great weapons to be able to get through areas. But Its having great weapons to get through areas as classy as possible. I get this is how the game is supposed to be played.. as if i'm playing it the wrong way.

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
oh man this is hilarious, even if it is just the normal AI.

Macman
Mar 14, 2013, 06:18 AM
By the way, Quartz Dragon's windup times shorten drastically in the Skylands AQ. I found myself having to dodge a ton more while it aggro'd on me with less chance to get any hits in.

BIG OLAF
Mar 14, 2013, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't say that the drop rates are 'bad', but nor are they 'good'. They're random. Chaos is a completely different beast than straight-lined 'bad' or 'good'. Some people may think the drop rates are fine because of the luck streak they're on, but (rough estimate here) 97% of players are going to think they're bullshit, myself included.

I think Xaeris said once that, just like any other lottery (which is all PSO2 is in any sense, really), someone is winning. It's just that the odds of you being that 'someone' is astronomically low.

Coatl
Mar 14, 2013, 07:11 AM
I don't know. I have good friends and the core gameplay is addicting. Makes rare drop rate so much less of a deterrent.

Railkune
Mar 14, 2013, 07:13 AM

Welcome to the world of MMO's. I still cringe at the sheer amount of time I've invested into online gaming. Still, no regrets.

Rien
Mar 14, 2013, 07:32 AM

The difficulty is not actually scoring a kill. Anyone can score a kill (or kills).

The real difficulty is finding anything usable to drop. Sometimes just getting something to drop, period.

Ragnarok didn't have you going to the same mvp boss spawn hoping a rare variant would appear, right?

PSO2 is pretty much RNGception: The chances of finding a rare item from a rare boss/mob in a rare area (if applicable) makes shit so infinitely hard you can never realize the true value of obtaining an item, usable or not. And then, beyond that, there's RNG of grinding, RNG of affixing....

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 07:34 AM
The difficulty is not actually scoring a kill. Anyone can score a kill (or kills).

The real difficulty is finding anything usable to drop. Sometimes just getting something to drop, period.

Ragnarok didn't have you going to the same mvp boss spawn hoping a rare variant would appear, right?

PSO2 is pretty much RNGception: The chances of finding a rare item from a rare boss/mob in a rare area (if applicable) makes shit so infinitely hard you can never realize the true value of obtaining an item, usable or not. And then, beyond that, there's RNG of grinding, RNG of affixing....

It has you fighting other people for a boss that only spawn 1 per hour.

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 AM
By the way, Quartz Dragon's windup times shorten drastically in the Skylands AQ. I found myself having to dodge a ton more while it aggro'd on me with less chance to get any hits in.
Bosses are mostly fine, but other than a few exceptions, normal enemies are a joke though.

Coatl
Mar 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
I honestly think the drop rate wouldn't be so terrible if coupled with the terrible grind rates.

Rien
Mar 14, 2013, 07:37 AM
It has you fighting other people for a boss that only spawn 1 per hour.

Well, considering an advanced quest lasts generally between 20-30 minutes, and the rates of a rare boss spawn.... Even chances at an MVP is better than finding a rare boss, lol.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 07:39 AM
Well, considering an advanced quest lasts generally between 20-30 minutes, and the rates of a rare boss spawn.... Even chances at an MVP is better than finding a rare boss, lol.

About 1/6 is a rare boss.
Still better then RO, in which the person that deals the highest damage gets the loot, everyone else, you can't pick up any drop.
And don't even get started on the botting.

Galax
Mar 14, 2013, 07:50 AM

Welcome to MMOs, which use RNG, which is exactly what you're describing. Don't like it, either find other incentive to play, or don't play. Or even stop trying to get the absolute top notch best gear in the game because it isn't required to use.

I'm also surprised nobody posted a response to the "I have done several hundred Advance Quests." Doesn't each one last an hour...? So...Poubelle...You've spent several hundred hours doing those runs?

Shinamori
Mar 14, 2013, 07:51 AM

VH is what counts

I can't do very hard, so I fall into that "hardly" category.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 08:07 AM
1000 damage with overend even on hard is garbage.

I do 10k with over end on my lvl 32 using a junky zanba.

You realize that with the right setup, vhard players are doing far more than that, right?

Alisha
Mar 14, 2013, 08:07 AM
i'm going to repeat this incase no one saw it.

the problem i have with this is that they made rares easier to find in infinity so this feels like a backpedal. dios despertars a 16 star twin saber was nowhere near as rare as some of the shit in this game.

PSO2 is a step backwards from infinity. sometimes i think sega just rushed this game out and didnt plan it properly and they keep tacking stuff on. and they dont know how to balance thier game so they take advise from sheep. what happens if you build a building on a bad foundation?

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
what happens if you build a building on a bad foundation?

someone gullible enough will invest into that
did i guess right???

EvilMag
Mar 14, 2013, 08:10 AM
I was at first pissed off that PSP2/Infinity has no rare trading. At least shit actually dropped in those games so that makes up for that.

PSP2i is still the perfect Phantasy Star game IMO.

~Aya~
Mar 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
Duno what yall are talking about. Kind of glad stuff doesn't drop very often.. so that when it does I can have an heart attack and have a legitimate reason to sue sega. Need moar AC monies.

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 09:31 AM
FACE IT PPL LOOK UP AT THE SKY AND YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER THE RNG GODS ARE WATCHING THEY KNOW WHAT YOU WANT~

Dnd
Mar 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
Why do people put up with these drop rates?

This question really is different for everyone to answer I guess.. While I have occasionally bitched (More-so, just been plain fed up) with the lol droprates, the main draw to the game for me IS the hunting (combined with the fun company of others).

Although saying that, I've also just about given up expecting anything from the RNG aswell, I mean, I go 7 weeks, tons of rare drop rate tickets and AQs/EQs and just raw hours poured into the game since my last 10* weapon, Just to get two 10* talis within 5 days (miasan and green duel-gaze) I mean seriously? o.o'

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think anyone should be declaring that the rates are any good or justifiable in any way possible; they're atrocious. It's just how much it affects you based on how you play that's different from person to person. A valid point is that we hardly need great weapons to begin with so the hunt is rather hard to get motivated for. But for those that do hunt, it's awful.

Emmie
Mar 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Honestly the rates don't bother me too much. The drop rates in this game feels pretty average for a F2P MMO. It feels a bit higher than average personally. On par with PSU board drops at least. Now the abysmal drop rate for materials in Vindictus, card drops in Ragnarok Online (1x official servers circa 2004, not "low" rate 5x-10x pservs), or ANYTHING rare in PSOv2 are something worth complaining about.

Perhaps the drop rate in this game is worse on average to other games. It could be just that I don't feel the need to obtain that gear in this game to the same extent I do in other games. Those high-end rares are not really necessary for me to do current end-game content. In other games, high-end gear is essential to survive and/or deal damage in end-game situations. Basically, the lack of high-end rares doesn't keep me from experiencing any of this game's content.

DreamState83
Mar 14, 2013, 11:55 AM
Honestly the rates don't bother me too much. The drop rates in this game feels pretty average for a F2P MMO. It feels a bit higher than average personally. On par with PSU board drops at least. Now the abysmal drop rate for materials in Vindictus, card drops in Ragnarok Online (1x official servers circa 2004, not "low" rate 5x-10x pservs), or ANYTHING rare in PSOv2 are something worth complaining about.

Perhaps the drop rate in this game is worse on average to other games. It could be just that I don't feel the need to obtain that gear in this game to the same extent I do in other games. Those high-end rares are not really necessary for me to do current end-game content. In other games, high-end gear is essential to survive and/or deal damage in end-game situations. Basically, the lack of high-end rares doesn't keep me from experiencing any of this game's content.

A very well thought out post, and one that I agree with.

Z-0
Mar 14, 2013, 11:57 AM
It's not like the hardest to obtain gear is the best anyway. You're better making meseta and making something like a 50 element Lambda Fairnote with 5% JA; you'll get more damage out of that than a random Meren'nenka or BKB you find. Maybe it's nice if you manage to find /a lot/ of a 10* to 50% it, but most of the time you get sub-30 element which is not very nice at all.

The rates are still shit though.

The problem with this game is the rates can't really be justified because things just get outclassed in a month or two, so you could spend forever hunting something and then something else that's a lot better will come out, so it feels pointless to even try unless you get it in the first week.

ShinMaruku
Mar 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
I am on a lucky streak so that drop rate can eat a dick. Really I play the game to have fun not hunt loot. Hunting loot is daft in Japanese games. :P

GuardianGirth
Mar 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
I honestly think the biggest effect on how we find items is simply the lack of knowing what enemies you're going to run into when you start a mission.(Besides TA). Not being able to control what enemy you want to see the most of has a huge impact on accessibility.

Hrith
Mar 14, 2013, 12:54 PM
Did someone compare drop rates in this to PSU? lol. PSU drop rates were fine, I could find several 10~12* boards a week, easily. I remember farming Rattlesnake when no one was playing that mission and made over one hundred million just from that, so...

PSO EpI&II was perfect in this regard: 90% of the 10* items were between 1/600 and 1/1,000, and that is the best drop rate ever, whereas most 11* items were between 1/10,000 and 1/30,000 depending on enemy, because a game needs really rare items. What's more, 11* items were very rarely better than 10* items, they were truly mostly for show.

Now I can understand higher drop rates in PSO2, because drops are individual, but 1/2,000~3,000 would have been fine, not 1/50,000 for EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM.
I have 1400 hours clocked, I have found like eight 10* rares, mostly junk or weapons I cannot use, but the drop rates are just far too high.
See it like this:
I have killed over 30,000 Deeg in the volcano on VH; I can understand not having found a Deeg Pillar, it's supposed to be very rare, since it's a 10* drop in VH, etc, but I have never found one Double Saber Legacy. Killed over 10,000 Agnis, never found one Ishrai. Killed 500+ Rockbear, not one Iku-tachi or Lambda Failnaught. Easily 10,000 Spargun, not one Sparmachinegun. Probably even more Sparzyle killed, no Spread Legacy, etc, etc.
Those are 'hard' drops in very hard difficulty, supposed to be easier.
Now if you remember PSO EpI&II, when a 10* rare item dropped in ultimate difficulty that was not a very good weapon (usually findable in VH), its drop rate was around 1/100.

Don't even try to bullshit me with 'PSO2 drop rates are fine (compared to other games)' or 'it's the F2P model', those arguments are null and void, drop rates in PSO2 are retarded, nothing more to it.

Kierto
Mar 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
It's not like the hardest to obtain gear is the best anyway. You're better making meseta and making something like a 50 element Lambda Fairnote with 5% JA; you'll get more damage out of that than a random Meren'nenka or BKB you find. Maybe it's nice if you manage to find /a lot/ of a 10* to 50% it, but most of the time you get sub-30 element which is not very nice at all.

The rates are still shit though.

The problem with this game is the rates can't really be justified because things just get outclassed in a month or two, so you could spend forever hunting something and then something else that's a lot better will come out, so it feels pointless to even try unless you get it in the first week.

Pretty much this. When you come to terms with the fact the cheaper shit usually works statistically superior due to element grinding (hint: 50 element pyroxene weapons) your wallet and stress levels will be spared. Your new find will be outclassed within a month anyway as differing weapons within a catergory still don't provide gameplay difference. Whenever there is a new level of power made standard Sega always over-compensate anyway to bring people to baseline performance - see Iritista Stones (universal subclass options via multiple scheduled Falz encounters), Red Weapons and now the Pyroxene trade-ins.

Obviously feel free to hunt items you want for aesthetic or nostalgia reasons, but hunting BiS constantly is just torture. There are a few outliers such as things like Elder Pain, Falclaw and Psychowand, but the rates on those are just so overly terrible you may as well treat each attempt with the same mindset of a National Lottery ticket, especially as there is no routine way to hunt them. Otherwise, the only truly 'unique' rare drops are ones which offer stats in both Melee/Ranged and Tech damage types (Umbrella, Coat Edge, Elysion, Holy Ray, Nersir).

Make your priority getting your units done (hint: wings or 10* boss units are enough) then make bank to buy your cute costumes/accessories and shit. The crux of the matter is Japanese gamers are never going to QQ enough about droprates to make Sega take note and 10* 'trading' is as much as they are probably ever going to do to make things easier (even though it is a complete band-aid until the elephant in the room that is 11*+ becomes common).

But yes, the drop rates are complete and utter shit and there is no feasible way to defend them. The problem of course is that when that occasional drop does happen - maybe not exactly the item you want, but something in similar vein or power or you force yourself to make most of it by changing class - most people completely ignore their previous grief and are motivated to repeat the process. I dunno, battered wife syndrome?

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Did someone compare drop rates in this to PSU? lol. PSU drop rates were fine, I could find several 10~12* boards a week, easily. I remember farming Rattlesnake when no one was playing that mission and made over one hundred million just from that, so...

PSO EpI&II was perfect in this regard: 90% of the 10* items were between 1/600 and 1/1,000, and that is the best drop rate ever, whereas most 11* items were between 1/10,000 and 1/30,000 depending on enemy, because a game needs really rare items. What's more, 11* items were very rarely better than 10* items, they were truly mostly for show.

Now I can understand higher drop rates in PSO2, because drops are individual, but 1/2,000~3,000 would have been fine, not 1/50,000 for EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM.
I have 1400 hours clocked, I have found like eight 10* rares, mostly junk or weapons I cannot use, but the drop rates are just far too high.
See it like this:
I have killed over 30,000 Deeg in the volcano on VH; I can understand not having found a Deeg Pillar, it's supposed to be very rare, since it's a 10* drop in VH, etc, but I have never found one Double Saber Legacy. Killed over 10,000 Agnis, never found one Ishrai. Killed 500+ Rockbear, not one Iku-tachi or Lambda Failnaught. Easily 10,000 Spargun, not one Sparmachinegun. Probably even more Sparzyle killed, no Spread Legacy, etc, etc.
Now if you remember PSO EpI&II, when a 10* rare item dropped in ultimate difficulty that was not a very good weapon (usually findable in VH), its drop rate was around 1/100.

Don't even try to bullshit me with 'PSO2 drop rates are fine (compared to other games)' or 'it's the F2P model', those arguments are null and void, drop rates in PSO2 are retarded, nothing more to it.

Man has a point not to mention PSYCHO WAND WAS EASIER TO GET IN PSU LMFAO~<3

Insane food dish
Mar 14, 2013, 01:17 PM
Drop rates are pretty bad but with the inclusion of Red weapons those of us who can't find a 10 star can still one/two shot very hard enemies.

Plus you can do a few TACOs and buy one of the 9 stars that upgrade into 10 stars.

CelestialBlade
Mar 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
While I won't argue against drop rates needing improvement (they are far too low, I had WAY more luck finding cards in vanilla RO), I think Z-0 makes a good point in that you're almost always better off pimping out a lesser weapon as much as possible and putting all your good affixes on it. In my experience, raw stats don't carry a lot of weight in this game and it seems like you've gotta get to around a 200+ jump in stats before it TRULY begins to make a difference in your ability to clear an area. We all want the best stuff, sure, but a +10 Jinrai at 712 S-ATK isn't really going to help me clear an area I can't already clear with my Lambda Fairnote +10 at 553 S-ATK with Shock. Especially when not even AQs need the level of weapon I'm using. More damage in and of itself doesn't always mean you're going to have a noticeable difference in gameplay. Find something that works and pimp the shit out of it.

My main problem is my disappointment with the spellstones shop. I had hoped it would be a pretty good alternative to all-or-nothing rarehunting, and for most weapons it is, but the only AQ Dpuble Saber is a goddamn 10* so I feel like I'm better off hunting BKB or Jinrai, because they probably have the same drop rate. Makes no sense. Why can I use a 8 or 9* to make really good Daggers but I can't do the same with other weapons? I get the area theme idea but there's other options.

Crysteon
Mar 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
My main problem is my disappointment with the spellstones shop. I had hoped it would be a pretty good alternative to all-or-nothing rarehunting, and for most weapons it is, but the only AQ Dpuble Saber is a goddamn 10* so I feel like I'm better off hunting BKB or Jinrai, because they probably have the same drop rate. Makes no sense. Why can I use a 8 or 9* to make really good Daggers but I can't do the same with other weapons? I get the area theme idea but there's other options.

At this moment, I seriously have mixed feelings about getting that Noise Blower's recolor because, like you say, a Black Nyoibo can easily match it and a Jinrai can beat it anyday (considering you get any with a decent %). Of course, if the RNG favors you, you can pull out a 50% of that trade-in weapon and say you have a fairly strong double saber that can beat the one with the best raw attack out, but that may take a long ass time to achieve even for the luckiest people. Honestly, adding 10*s as requirement to trade for another 10*s was just a terrible move, for two main reasons:

1) It's too soon to ask for 10*s as trade items.
2) While a 9*->10* trade sounds fair enough for the most population, a 10* -> 10* trade just doesnt make sense. It should have been a 10* -> 11* trade instead.

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
In the items record of the Tunnels AQ, the 10* double saber required for the pyroxene shop is listed to have dropped 989 times already, it seems that it isn't too rare there, it's the most common 10* weapon in that AQ.

The same can't be said about the wired lance though, which is listed to have dropped only 18 times in the skyland AQ, but the items records list doesn't update often though, so it's possible that the list for the skyland AQ may be outdated.
EDIT: Scratch this, I made a mistake here, the weapon I was seeing in the skyland AQ is actually a knuckles, the wired lance drops in the desert AQ and is listed to have dropped 133 times (which is still rather rare).

While the most common 10* weapon in the tunnels is listed to have dropped 989 times and in the tundra is listed to have dropped 403 times, the most common in skyland is listed to only have dropped 83 times.

NoiseHERO
Mar 14, 2013, 01:46 PM
In the items record of the Tunnels AQ, the 10* double saber required for the pyroxene shop is listed to have dropped 989 times already, it seems that it isn't too rare there, it's the most common 10* weapon in that AQ.

The same can't be said about the wired lance though, which is listed to have dropped only 18 times in the skyland AQ, but the items records list doesn't update often though, so it's possible that the list for the skyland AQ may be outdated.

While the most common 10* weapon in the tunnels is listed to have dropped 989 times and in the tundra is listed to have dropped 403 times, the most common in skyland is listed to only have dropped 83 times.

Any rare in this game is too rare.

Not because of the rate, but because RNG doesn't reward effort.

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
Any rare in this game is too rare.

Not because of the rate, but because RNG doesn't reward effort.
I'm not defending the system though, was just saying that the double saber required for the pyroxene shop seems to be somewhat less rare than other 10*s based on the items records. ^^;

NoiseHERO
Mar 14, 2013, 02:03 PM
I'm not defending the system though, was just saying that the double saber required for the pyroxene shop seems to be somewhat less rare than other 10*s based on the items records. ^^;

Just making sure e_e

But yeah, It's probably like "Oh this 10* is falling behind" /make a way to make it stronger...

But for us it's really "The only double saber trade in.... is already a 10* and there's like 3 other non-10* reskins they could've used."

It kills like 3 birds with one stone whether it makes us happy or not! (make a 10* that was lagging behind more useful, hides their bad game design in terms of rares and promotes premium for 10* trading. Since I'm sure it's still one of the more common 10* so more will be for sale...)

Z-0
Mar 14, 2013, 02:03 PM
Probably not the case actually, because EVERYONE will have been spamming AQs yesterday / today, so it will seem like the rate is kind of high, but it's really not.

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
Probably not the case actually, because EVERYONE will have been spamming AQs yesterday / today, so it will seem like the rate is kind of high, but it's really not.
Even if people have been spamming the new AQs, it's still the most common of the 10* weapons in the tunnels AQ. After that double saber (which is listed to have dropped 989 times) there's a weapon that dropped 787 times, next is 330 times, a few below 120, and a bunch of them at 35 or below.

Just making sure e_e

But yeah, It's probably like "Oh this 10* is falling behind" /make a way to make it stronger...

But for us it's really "The only double saber trade in.... is already a 10* and there's like 3 other non-10* reskins they could've used."

It kills like 3 birds with one stone whether it makes us happy or not! (make a 10* that was lagging behind more useful, hides their bad game design in terms of rares and promotes premium for 10* trading. Since I'm sure it's still one of the more common 10* so more will be for sale...)
Yeah, I agree that they should have used something else to be reskinned for the pyroxene shop. Trading a 10* for a 10* is...well, it's SEGA, so something like this was to be expected. :|

TaigaUC
Mar 14, 2013, 02:10 PM
Also have to remember that everyone has different drop rate bonuses. Wouldn't be surprised if almost every rare drop listed was the result of maxed out drop rate bonus.

CelestialBlade
Mar 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
This is what I'm leaning towards, unfortunately. I remember Lambda Fairnote had a drop record in the 2000s when I started hunting it, and that dropped down to less than 400 by the time I gave up and paid 5mil for a decent one. No item with a true drop rate above 2000 should take a month and a half to hunt.

I wish those drop records were percentage-based, based on the amount of people running the mission. But then everyone would see how horrendously and needlessly bad the drop rates truly are so Sega will never do that.

It almost punishes effort.

ShinMaruku
Mar 14, 2013, 02:14 PM
Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.

But who's to judge the right from wrong.

When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.

That violence breeds violence.

But in the end it has to be this way.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 02:20 PM

See it like this:

lmfao

I hunted a rattlesnake for months, man - putting in hours like I was getting paid in real dollars. By the time I actually found it, I didn't want to play anymore.

Other boards I found? Interested in a burning christmas tree? I found 2 \o/

Seriously, SOME people had fantastic luck with drops and some didn't. It's inappropriate to treat your personal experience as if its the only one that counts.

Conversely I've had much better luck in this game than I ever did in PSU or PSO.

I still think the drop rates are shit.

ShinMaruku
Mar 14, 2013, 02:23 PM
But really we knew they were going to fudge up drop rates. :P
This is why they should make chains to get gear instead. :P

Alisha
Mar 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
comparing pso 2 to other f2p games is bullshit. because im pretty sure most f2p games would give some kind of advantage to premium players wich this game doesnt(until they start adding weapons to scratch drawings). also technically both phantasy star portable 2 and phantasy star portable 2 infinity were free to play and had FAR better drop rates. they were only a few bullshit to acquire weapons such as world of guardians,dehghana cannon,divine amaterasu. i had something like 6 eternal psycho drives(psycho wand recolor).

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 02:41 PM

See it like this:

Good post.

I don't see why people keep replying to my OP post with "WELCOME TO MMOS BUDDY!!!", I've already posted that I'm a long time MMO and PSO player and I haven't experienced rates/progression as horrible as PSO2's.

Neith
Mar 14, 2013, 02:48 PM
The rates need to be more like PSO Ep 1/2. PSU drops were way too easy, as were most items in PSP2/Infinity (couple of exceptions).

PSO had what I'd refer to as tiered rares- you had the always-dropping rubbish like Dragon Slayers, Justy 23ST etc, then a mid-tier of things like Chain Sawd, MKB etc that required a bit of hunting, then the uber-rare stuff like Heaven Punisher, SJS and so on. PSO2 lacks that- everything is either 'drops occasionally but sucks' or never drops. The Red weapons appear to have decent stats, but are awful due to the massive attack variances.

Stuff like Psycho Wand I have no issues with being ridiculous to find, but some of the 9*s and Lambda weapons hardly ever drop either! Adding to that, most rares can be outclassed by a ability-laden and +10 normal weapon and 10* weapons are so hard to grind that a 6-9* will be easier to get stronger quite often. It's a stupid as hell system.

To put this into perspective, I have 3 Lv45+ characters, done Advance Quests, loads of Falz runs and so on. My 10* weapon tally (not including exchange weapons) is Wolgah Hands and Vraolet Zero. It's absurd really. Not asking for drops handed over for no effort, but when you can sometimes go a couple of weeks with nothing but complete junk it's clear something needs to change. PS games go from one extreme to the other it seems, when the balance was pretty much right in PSO!

jerrykun
Mar 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
This is not World of Warcraft where you can just get a max level char on any server u want and full gears for free just by renewing your membership, this is real grind, if you don't enjoy grind, don't play RPGs, anything that involves leveling involves grinding and with that comes weapons because yeah, gives you the feeling of achievement, that's it about grinding, the feeling of achievement, it is you who decides to what extent tho.

Railkune
Mar 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
Assuming that 10*'s are this hard to get... wonder how hard it will be if the decide to amp up the star count.

The Walrus
Mar 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
There are already 11 and 12 star weapons.

Good luck every getting one.

Railkune
Mar 14, 2013, 04:04 PM
Neptune's Beard. I can't even imagine. The difficulty is probably so screwed.

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
This is not World of Warcraft where you can just get a max level char on any server u want and full gears for free just by renewing your membership, this is real grind, if you don't enjoy grind, don't play RPGs, anything that involves leveling involves grinding and with that comes weapons because yeah, gives you the feeling of achievement, that's it about grinding, the feeling of achievement, it is you who decides to what extent tho.

Thanks for not reading any of the posts at all. The rates are horrendous in this game compared to previous PS games. Everyone gets the idea of hunting, it's just that it's so idiotic to do in this game.

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
Problem:

All items perform similarly, thus each 10* is roughly comparable to every other 10* of the same item category. Finding the worst 10* is not much worse than finding the best 10* (9*'s notwithstanding, which I'll get to).

Solution 1: Make every 10* extremely rare. Your odds of finding a specific 10* are horrible, but the odds of finding any 10* in a weapon category are better. They have a roughly comparable power level per generation (i.e. first wave of 10*'s compare, the AQ wave of 10*'s compare). Solution 1's flaw: People still meet failure streaks and may never get a 10* of a certain weapon type due to the reality that every item doesn't drop in every map, and they might not play the right maps. e.g. looking for double saber, only doing desert runs, the player isn't very likely to get a demo comet.

Solution 2: Make each item different, and make them more common. This is PSO1's system, where weapons had more variation than latent abilities in PSO2. Each rare was a tool, and nobody's toolbox only had a hammer. Solution 2's flaw: PSO1 was a finished game. Balancing tools isn't remotely as easy in a game with constantly releasing content.

These are the two major solutions I see. Make players value one single item for multiple uses, or make them value multiple items for invidiual uses. I'm fond of the latter, and the series' success is largely thanks to most of its players liking the latter as well. If nobody liked it PSO1 wouldn't have been such a success. This is where the problem lies. We're used to being able to set out for one particular tool and finding it with reasonable ease, but this game's weapons are all universal tools and those will not be as easy to get because finding even one means you're "done."

edit: Oh, right, the "getting to 9*'s" thing. Ideally 10*'s would be easier to get and utility-oriented, and 9*'s would be good at raw damage to patch up the utility you may lack. Lambda Ardillou would far and above outperform an Elder Pain, but the Elder Pain siphons health. It's one of the few weapons with actual utility. The few other weapons with utility have stuff like allclass access, hence their prices.

jerrykun
Mar 14, 2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks for not reading any of the posts at all. The rates are horrendous in this game compared to previous PS games. Everyone gets the idea of hunting, it's just that it's so idiotic to do in this game.

All I see on the posts is: "qq low rates" "qq no rares yet" "qq I'm tired of hunting"

It's all about luck, that's why it's called "chance". I remember games like Ragnarok Online where people would hunt rares for weeks with .01 rates and never got the item whereas others got it by just killing 1-5 mobs, it's all about luck.

I also recommend pushing up your odds with Lucky Rise units and weapons, if you don't like the stats, just swap to them before breaking crystals or dealing the finishing blow on normal monsters, just don't qq about swapping gears, people did that on Diablo III and they nerfed magic find (something like lucky rise in PSO2) and gave increased drop rate buff after killing bosses, something similar to the PSE buffs, this was done to reduce the qq about gear swapping.

Valimer
Mar 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
Is there a chart somewhere that has specific for drop rates? Like what would I hunt and on what difficulty?

CelestialBlade
Mar 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
edit: Oh, right, the "getting to 9*'s" thing. Ideally 10*'s would be easier to get and utility-oriented, and 9*'s would be good at raw damage to patch up the utility you may lack. Lambda Ardillou would far and above outperform an Elder Pain, but the Elder Pain siphons health. It's one of the few weapons with actual utility. The few other weapons with utility have stuff like allclass access, hence their prices.
This would make me incredibly happy. I'd love to see some actual uniqueness to each of the rare weapons, and I've always found it stupid how several rares will all get released at once in a given tier and there's literally no reason to hunt any of them but one.

Zalana
Mar 14, 2013, 04:34 PM
These drop rates are still better than PSOv1 and v2 by far...

Just think if you were playing FFXI before they made it easier to obtain relics or mythics, you'd really be screaming bloody murder lol. That was just :-o.

BIG OLAF
Mar 14, 2013, 04:35 PM
All I see on the posts is: "qq low rates" "qq no rares yet" "qq I'm tired of hunting"

Right, so, to clarify what MetalDude said, you did read the posts, but you didn't actually comprehend them.

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Don't be stupid, of course it's about luck. It doesn't change the fact that 1/600-1/1000 is way more manageable than 1/10000. You don't need to be a math major to know that it is, on average, going to take you way longer to successfully land that 1 in 10000 than the other greater odds. The point is that the rates should not be this shitty and you seem to be totally ok in making it absolute reason that "Oh, it requires luck so it makes both equally ok" when you're not considering that they're far worse in this game. Lucky Rise units help somewhat but 15% doesn't put even close to a dent into bad rates.

@Valimer, you mean drop charts? Cirnopedia is fairly up-to-date if you're looking for english pages. The JP PSO2 wiki is practically on minute with their details if you want something immediate.

Valimer
Mar 14, 2013, 04:41 PM
Don't be stupid, of course it's about luck. It doesn't change the fact that 1/600-1/1000 is way more manageable than 1/10000. You don't need to be a math major to know that it is, on average, going to take you way longer to successfully land that 1 in 10000 than the other greater odds. The point is that the rates should not be this shitty and you seem to be totally ok in making it absolute reason that "Oh, it requires luck so it makes both equally ok" when you're not considering that they're far worse in this game. Lucky Rise units help somewhat but 15% doesn't put even close to a dent into bad rates.

@Valimer, you mean drop rates? Cirnopedia is fairly up-to-date if you're looking for english pages. The JP PSO2 wiki is practically on minute with their details if you want something immediate.

Ah, thanks MetalDude. I was just looking in the wrong places.

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
These drop rates are still better than PSOv1 and v2 by far...

Just think if you were playing FFXI before they made it easier to obtain relics or mythics, you'd really be screaming bloody murder lol. That was just :-o.

Topic creator here. FFXI happens to be my most-played game of all time, so I'm gonna have to call you out on this.

There were some drops which had ABYSMAL rates, and there were plenty that didn't. There was also difficult content where the drops were actually pretty decent for great items, but these items had to be distributed between everyone involved, so you would find yourself waiting in a queue until you 'deserved' to get your loot. There was also a lot of other forms of progression in FFXI like limit points at cap and so on, grinding your combat proficiencies (kinda similar to how grinding PSU Photon Arts worked, if I remember correctly) etc.

It was all pretty nice in my opinion, no matter how you look at it, if you put time into your character on FFXI, you were making progression.

this isn't the case in PSO2 where like I said, I've spent countless hours and made zero progress in any shape or form.

You're also just plain "wrong" that these rates are better than PSOv1 and 2.

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm always so confused with the V1/V2 terminology. I'm just familiar with GCN/XBOX onward and the rates in those were averaged out to a respectable level.

EDIT: Ok, V1 and V2 shared the same rates. Pffhahahah, Varista with a 1/4200 drop rate.

jerrykun
Mar 14, 2013, 04:56 PM

@Valimer, you mean drop charts? Cirnopedia is fairly up-to-date if you're looking for english pages. The JP PSO2 wiki is practically on minute with their details if you want something immediate.

I'm not stupid, control yourself, show us you're capable of discussing a topic without losing your mind and respect.

IMHO, don't waste your time hunting weapons with crazy drop rates, weapons become obsolete very fast that it's not worth it, just pick a weapon with a good weapon potential and grind it to the max, just like people do with their elder rods and what not, personally, I just wait until a weapon outperforms my current by a 100 dmg margin or so, people will always qq, always.

JP server: qq, weapons released so fast, how to keep up with grinding?
NA server: qq, when we gonna get that weapon? I wanna grind something worth it, qq we got weapon but nerfed, qq server now closed just when I finally grinded my weapon to +10.

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not stupid, control yourself, show us you're capable of discussing a topic without losing your mind and respect.

IMHO, don't waste your time hunting weapons with crazy drop rates, weapons become obsolete very fast that it's not worth it, just pick a weapon with a good weapon potential and grind it to the max, just like people do with their elder rods and what not, personally, I just wait until a weapon outperforms my current by a 100 dmg margin or so, people will always qq, always.

JP server: qq, weapons released so fast, how to keep up with grinding?
NA server: qq, when we gonna get that weapon? I wanna grind something worth it, qq we got weapon but nerfed, qq server now closed just when I finally grinded my weapon to +10.

They all have crazy drop rates. What part are you not getting? You don't have to hunt the best because they have even more hideous rates yet even hunting something within the same range is more often than not unreasonable.

Also, you generalizing sentiments and complaints into "qq this, qq that" doesn't help you either. It shows a lack of comprehension and entirely undermines the argument.

EDIT: Yeah, changed something.

Keyblade59
Mar 14, 2013, 05:06 PM
Loving these Anarchy threads.

Anyway we deal with them because we like the game, we rant about them because we like the game, we could leave and forget about it if we hated the game. Yeah I wish they had drop chances around PSO's chances, but I can adapt, the pyroxene shop holds us over.

jerrykun
Mar 14, 2013, 05:11 PM
They all have crazy drop rates. What part are you not getting? You don't have to hunt the best because they have even more hideous rates yet even hunting something within the same range is more often than not unreasonable.

Also, you generalizing sentiments and complaints into "qq this, qq that" makes you look like a tool, too. It shows a lack of comprehension and entirely undermines the argument.

Play more, get fat, get hemorrhoids, no life, hunt more, get nothing, profit? or you could hack, or... qq
I'm out of words to make you feel better, I'm not SEGA, sorry.

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 05:12 PM
Bet ya Sega is lolling right now trolling ppl with the drop rates and the ways to obtain the proxene weps and its working look at em go~!

~Aya~
Mar 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
Drops rates are fantastic. I can't wait to find another red weapon

Keyblade59
Mar 14, 2013, 05:23 PM
I made up a motto to define sega with their drop rate and the RNG in PSO:

SEGA: Giving the people what they want to the wrong person since 2000

Hrith
Mar 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
Zalana is right about PSOv1 and v2 rates being worse than PSO2, by a significant amount. PSOv1/2 had rates as high as 1/800,000.

Using the item record from PSO2, and gathering the number of runs done according to the number of occurences of the most common drops, one can infer approximate drop rates.

We also know PSU drop rates, now, they're nowhere near as bad as PSO2, since most items were 1/2,000~1/4,000 and boss drops were 1/40 on average (going from memory, there). That's harder than PSO EpI&II, but like twenty times easier than PSO2 >_>

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 05:35 PM

It's all about luck, that's why it's called "chance". I remember games like Ragnarok Online where people would hunt rares for weeks with .01 rates and never got the item whereas others got it by just killing 1-5 mobs, it's all about luck.

I also recommend pushing up your odds with Lucky Rise units and weapons, if you don't like the stats, just swap to them before breaking crystals or dealing the finishing blow on normal monsters, just don't qq about swapping gears, people did that on Diablo III and they nerfed magic find (something like lucky rise in PSO2) and gave increased drop rate buff after killing bosses, something similar to the PSE buffs, this was done to reduce the qq about gear swapping.

The odds for many, many, many weapons are much worse than .01%, lol

Anyway, as said repeatedly, the RNG's failing is not in its average. It's when you're in the bracket that can't find it. This is no big deal when you can trade rares, but 10*'s can't be traded AND are harder to get than 7-9*'s. The problem is pretty obvious. Even with 10* exchanging, finding 10*'s of any kind is still unlikely enough that many people will go months at a time without a single one. This is inexcusable design.

If your solution to someone saying "this part of the game isn't fun" is to tell them "then go away," meanwhile you whine about Sega losing customers and in turn not making enough money, you need to seriously reevaluate your thought processes.

edit: And yes, PSO v1 rates were said to be far worse than this. Which is what makes the rarity of PSO2's items such an insult. They've demonstrated that they know shit should be attainable and fun to get. It's something they've already fixed in past games. Why break it again?

UnLucky
Mar 14, 2013, 05:50 PM
at least PSO1 had fun boss fights and unique huntable rares that didn't completely invalidate every other rare you could possibly find and were only useful with a max grind that is also entirely RNG based

you could also find preleveled mags too

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
The odds for many, many, many weapons are much worse than .01%, lol

Anyway, as said repeatedly, the RNG's failing is not in its average. It's when you're in the bracket that can't find it. This is no big deal when you can trade rares, but 10*'s can't be traded AND are harder to get than 7-9*'s. The problem is pretty obvious. Even with 10* exchanging, finding 10*'s of any kind is still unlikely enough that many people will go months at a time without a single one. This is inexcusable design.

If your solution to someone saying "this part of the game isn't fun" is to tell them "then go away," meanwhile you whine about Sega losing customers and in turn not making enough money, you need to seriously reevaluate your thought processes.

edit: And yes, PSO v1 rates were said to be far worse than this. Which is what makes the rarity of PSO2's items such an insult. They've demonstrated that they know shit should be attainable and fun to get. It's something they've already fixed in past games. Why break it again?

Well, complaining about it on this forum, certainly isn't solving any problem.
Wouldn't it be better to get everyone's thought together make a list of the drop rate problem, and also a solution to the drop rate problem.
Have someone translate it, then email it to Sega?
And see if they look into it like the grinding situation?

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
People keep saying this. "Well complaining isn't gonna do anything."

Neither will us contacting SEGA about it. The English community won't have a voice until the English community is actually being serviced with a NA/EU server (if ever, they might just continue to ignore us).

Yes, there's no point in this discussion other than for the sake of discussion. There's no chance our thoughts will reach SEGA, and if they do, our thoughts on the matter are irrelevant at this point.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 06:11 PM

Neither will us contacting SEGA about it. The English community won't have a voice until the English community is actually being serviced with a NA/EU server (if ever, they might just continue to ignore us).

Yes, there's no point in this discussion other than for the sake of discussion. There's no chance our thoughts will reach SEGA, and if they do, our thoughts on the matter are irrelevant at this point.

That's only for the English server, and if what people say about past experience is correct, then the issue won't be addressed.
The best course of action is to address Sega of Japan directly.
They might not respond immediately, but they do respond, as we saw with the grinding situation.
First they reduced the required grinder, now their planning to reduce grind failure, so saying they don't address anything, is contridicatary at best.
I disagree with the drop rate being broken, but if you have a better solution, offer it, and me or someone else can probabely translate it and send it to Sega or bring it up in the 2ch community and see if enough people agree and each send a letter, like the grinding situation.
But complaining won't solve anything, communicating your grievance with Sega is the best chance to make the game better for you and other like minded individual.

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 06:15 PM
That's only for the English server, and if what people say about past experience is correct, then the issue won't be addressed.
The best course of action is to address Sega of Japan directly.
They might not respond immediately, but they do respond, as we saw with the grinding situation.
First they reduced the required grinder, now their planning to reduce grind failure, so saying they don't address anything, is contridicatary at best.
I disagree with the drop rate being broken, but if you have a better solution, offer it, and me or someone else can probabely translate it and send it to Sega or bring it up in the 2ch community and see if enough people agree and each send a letter, like the grinding situation.
But complaining won't solve anything, communicating your grievance with Sega is the best chance to make the game better for you and other like minded individual.

Judge Sizustar why you no slam the gavel after that pro smack down speech?

COURT ADJOURNED

Seraphus
Mar 14, 2013, 06:19 PM

If people bring these ideas of these discussions to Sega of Japan and the Japanese PSO2 community then it could very well bring about changes. The problem is most don't as it would have to require knowing Japanese. If you can get a ton of people on board for a change in the game, the devs are more likely to implement this change.

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure if there's any "petitions" going on, or whatever you're hoping for, but all the Japanese people I play with are of the opinion that the drop rates in this game are unfair.

I don't think the Japanese are silent about this issue, and I don't think a small handful of English players trying to contact SEGA is going to do much good. The Japanese are vocal about it, it's up to SEGA to acknowledge and correct the issues.

this thread is just for discussion. people who like PSO2 discussing our issues with the game and how it could be improved.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 06:34 PM
Actually there was a complaint at one point that the drop rates were horrible and it was addressed at the same time they increased the frequency of rare monsters(still only seen 3 Signo blues including what I've encountered in the AQs, so lol)

But they increase the drop rates on weapons below 10*s and believes tha drops rates on 10* and up would be improved with rare monsters being more frequent - or so they said.

So the complaint was lodged and addressed. if people are still not satisfied they should speak up again. Sega does respond, you know.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if there's any "petitions" going on, or whatever you're hoping for, but all the Japanese people I play with are of the opinion that the drop rates in this game are unfair.

I don't think the Japanese are silent about this issue, and I don't think a small handful of English players trying to contact SEGA is going to do much good. The Japanese are vocal about it, it's up to SEGA to acknowledge and correct the issues.

this thread is just for discussion. people who like PSO2 discussing our issues with the game and how it could be improved.

But out of those people that complain?
How many actually takes the time to use the system Sega provided to let Sega know they aren't satasified with the drop system?
Not that many would be my guess.
And I'm not sure why you're fixcated on the foreigner, if sending in a letter or complaint to Sega, one wouldn't send it in English. If sending it, it'll be translate into Japaense by me or one of the other poster here, so a templete to send in.
At best they'll respond to reply in Japanese, or just ignore it.
And Japanese player aren't really a fan of petition, the best bet is to make a topic on 2ch, see if you can get enough people supporting it, have them send a letter or send a letter with the 2ch link to Sega, so they can see the topic at hand.

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 06:49 PM
Well, complaining about it on this forum, certainly isn't solving any problem.
Wouldn't it be better to get everyone's thought together make a list of the drop rate problem, and also a solution to the drop rate problem.
Have someone translate it, then email it to Sega?
And see if they look into it like the grinding situation?

That's kind of what complaining on a forum is.

Creating a place where peoples' thoughts are, and a list is being made on this forum.

When I post shit and people reply with decent input that contributes to the discussion that is exactly what you're describing.

All people have to do is send it in with every survey they do.

Why people still, even now, go around saying "complaining on a forum will accomplish nothing" is way fucking beyond me, it's like saying taking one step won't get you to the top of the stairs. No shit. It's a required stage in getting to the top, and telling people not to take the first step is worthless advice.

Galax
Mar 14, 2013, 06:54 PM
Good post.

I don't see why people keep replying to my OP post with "WELCOME TO MMOS BUDDY!!!", I've already posted that I'm a long time MMO and PSO player and I haven't experienced rates/progression as horrible as PSO2's.

People reply with welcome to mmos because it's still relevant. You've been luckier than we have if you're claiming droprates were never this bad; Would you tell that to a very, VERY unlucky friend of mine, who - before giving up - slew over three thousand mil lillies on PSOBB, and never found his Psycho Wand? Mind that's only from when he started counting, and only on one particular server; He didn't keep records from SEGA BB, and even then he hasn't recorded every Mil he killed. I helped him hunt at times; I can't even remember how many Mils spawned in a glitched spot where nothing can drop because of an odd spawn angle.

Here's how it is - the RNG liked you, it doesn't like others. You got LUCKY. The droprate can be 1/2 and you won't find it because you're unlucky.

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
i wonder
what do you people who defend those horseshit drop rates gain exactly?
like seriously?
do you feel better because you "can cope with it"?
like to drill holes?
do you feel some kind of superiority?
will more rares dropping kill starving children?
am i a lunatic yet?

ShinMaruku
Mar 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
I say welcome to MMOs because some of the hooks they put in are utter shit. MMOs are not good games they are propped up by having many people around to disguise that they are sub par mechanically. PSO2 can't put up such numbers to hide that shit but it does have some of those old outdated ideas.

It's also why MMO gamers tend to be so odd in some ways. Also why they are so small and restricted.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
Who's defending them?

We're saying file a complaint and invoke change.

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 07:15 PM
do you want me to quote all those people?
thats about as dickish as saying that the drop rates are fine
so ill pass on that

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 07:15 PM
Who's defending them?

We're saying file a complaint and invoke change.

Nobody is defending them. People are ranging between only just now becoming angry, and saying "Dude, we said this was coming months ago. How the hell are you surprised?"

Poubelle
Mar 14, 2013, 07:24 PM
Nobody is defending them. People are ranging between only just now becoming angry, and saying "Dude, we said this was coming months ago. How the hell are you surprised?"

well, there actually are a few people in this thread arguing that the rates are fine. Lunatics in my opinion but hey.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 07:24 PM
so ill pass on that

So you want us all to commiserate with you instead of offering a solution...oook.

...FUCK SEGA FUCK THIS GAME I QUIT!!!

...happy?

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
well, there actually are a few people in this thread arguing that the rates are fine. Lunatics in my opinion but hey.

I just assumed they were trolling Jooozek. He kind of asks for it, and some people are more than happy to oblige.

edit: Also, he said I was giving them an excuse by saying something to the end of "are you fucking serious why are you only surprised by this now?" so yeah, nobody's actually justifying anything. They're laughing at him for being slow.

Sizustar
Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 PM
so ill pass on that

I feel the drop rate is fine, but that's because I've been through game with worse drop rate, and I generally get 1~4 Red drop through EM, and AQ.
That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.
Such as the system they used for the Matterboard drop, it would be a good idea to implment such a system for certain rare drop, such as event weapons(Rappy gears, I know of two people that still haven't gotten any of the rappy drop), the Crystal Shop exchange weapon, after kill X amount of enemy, you're guranteed to get one, so you can exchange for it.
Increase the rate of drop on your class, instead of keep on dropping weapons that you have no interest in using, Stop giving me Hu/Fi, Ra/Gu Gear~~

But giving suggesstion through the sega system
http://pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=opinion
Might get Sega to address this issue, if the solution they offer isn't good enough, complain again and explain why you feel it isn't a good solution.
But saying nothing change, without letting Sega know, they won't know there is a problem.

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
without letting Sega know, they won't know there is a problem.

Ding ding ding.

The thing is, people need to work collaboratively on something. The forum has that covered. People say things, people call you colorful language if they disagree. If they don't, either you get no response or a collection of agreements mixed with posts starting with "I disagree, because..." that then go on to agree with you anyway but felt the need to say they disagree for some bizarre reason.

The hunter thread was a great example of that.

That said, the hunter thread stopped there. Towards the end of it I was collecting thoughts, listing some pretty glaring problems, and listing a couple solutions, and Cyclon threw a shitfit because, uh, I don't know why. I didn't bother keeping it up after that because I have other shit I'm actually doing.

Ideally someone will pick it up again and take what people generally agree upon - seemingly mainly the mobility of HU being its biggest limiting factor (Disagreements abound on damage & survivability, but everyone agreed on mobility needing some buffs), and post some suggestions. A really great one everyone came together around was a step-lunge move for all weapons. Lots of people wanted different types of running, including only in the direction of an enemy (limiting because you can't run around or from an enemy with it, which is often necessary) and a sustained running equal to the pre-existing knuckle dash that you enable by pressing or holding some given button.

If we took those and ran with them to either 2ch (lol, posting on a forum is useless you guys, go post on a forum instead) or the feedback system, I'd be interested to see what Sega's response/lack of response is.

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
So you want us all to commiserate with you instead of offering a solution...oook.

...FUCK SEGA FUCK THIS GAME I QUIT!!!

...happy?

do you want me to spell it out for you seriously?
here we go

raise the horse shit drop rates

But giving suggesstion through the sega system
http://pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=opinion
Might get Sega to address this issue, if the solution they offer isn't good enough, complain again and explain why you feel it isn't a good solution.
But saying nothing change, without letting Sega know, they won't know there is a problem.

brb learning japanese
ok learned
yeah no

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Personally, I think the drop rates are not fine, but I also think that there are alot more important issues that we should be focusing on (like how some enemies are way too passive).

The Walrus
Mar 14, 2013, 08:03 PM
I dunno AQ's seem to have made enemies a lot more aggressive. Especially AQ vader...the missles...never seem to stop...

Ezodagrom
Mar 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
I dunno AQ's seem to have made enemies a lot more aggressive. Especially AQ vader...the missles...never seem to stop...
I guess I should have mention on normal, hard and vhard. xd
I can't speak about AQs, since I haven't tried them yet, but, I think we shouldn't have to go through hundreds of hours to finally reach not so passive enemies, the differences between normal, hard and very hard are way too small.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 08:12 PM
do you want me to spell it out for you seriously?
here we go

raise the horse shit drop rates

brb learning japanese
ok learned
yeah no

There's a thread for getting help with lodging complaints, isn't there?

Raising the drop rates isn't the problem, getting sega to fix it is the problem.

You need a solution to that.

yunamon
Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
I'd like to mention the time I got 3 10 stars during the one valentines eq awhile ago

Not 10* but I got 7 rares in the run. None of them useful for me tho.

Quite random yes. And I'm on Vita that time too... My PC runs not that fulfilling LOL.

Gama
Mar 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
looks like people forgot about synthesis boards already x)

jooozek
Mar 14, 2013, 08:23 PM
There's a thread for getting help with lodging complaints, isn't there?

you mean that thread where op cherry picks what to translate?
ill pass on that
i've made once a post (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2895252&postcount=87) but in the end
no one gives a fuck

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 14, 2013, 08:28 PM
I remember that list. It's quite long and I can't say I agree with all of it, but why not pick one thing and ask sizu or kion or someone to work with you on that one then pick another one and keep going down the list bit by bit?

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Yep I totally see why the drop rates are suckage<3

We are so busy doing this mhmm yep~

Zalana
Mar 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
Topic creator here. FFXI happens to be my most-played game of all time, so I'm gonna have to call you out on this.

There were some drops which had ABYSMAL rates, and there were plenty that didn't. There was also difficult content where the drops were actually pretty decent for great items, but these items had to be distributed between everyone involved, so you would find yourself waiting in a queue until you 'deserved' to get your loot. There was also a lot of other forms of progression in FFXI like limit points at cap and so on, grinding your combat proficiencies (kinda similar to how grinding PSU Photon Arts worked, if I remember correctly) etc.

It was all pretty nice in my opinion, no matter how you look at it, if you put time into your character on FFXI, you were making progression.

this isn't the case in PSO2 where like I said, I've spent countless hours and made zero progress in any shape or form.

You're also just plain "wrong" that these rates are better than PSOv1 and 2.

It was "progress" that took a LONG time aka grind fest. Doing Dynamis Xarc for RDM relic and BLM relic sucked because drops were very low on those items plus having only to enter after 2+ days made it a chore at times. I won't even get into Salvage on some things.

Annnnnnnnnd no you must've not played v1 or v2 very much for that matter because drops on there were not as plentiful as on PSO2. If you call a Varista drop or Gae Bolg a rare then yes drops were excellent. LOL! 75% of the stuff on v1 and v2 was duped from hell to back and passed around like a virus. I know this because the drops were super improved once you played Blue Burst & Episode I & II.

Zenobia
Mar 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
It was "progress" that took a LONG time aka grind fest. Doing Dynamis Xarc for RDM relic and BLM relic sucked because drops were very low on those items plus having only to enter after 2+ days made it a chore at times. I won't even get into Salvage on some things.

Annnnnnnnnd no you must've not played v1 or v2 very much for that matter because drops on there were not as plentiful as on PSO2. If you call a Varista drop or Gae Bolg a rare then yes drops were excellent. LOL! 75% of the stuff on v1 and v2 was duped from hell to back and passed around like a virus. I know this because the drops were super improved once you played Blue Burst & Episode I & II.

LMFAO i knew someone was gonna point this out sooner or later called him out on it like a pro.

MetalDude
Mar 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
Again, Varista with a 1/3200 and 1/4000 drop rate. And it wasn't even one of those weapons that was stupid strong in V1/V2 either. It's just as terrible in DC and later.

Zalana
Mar 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
Ok how about Heaven's Punisher... Lavis Cannon Handgun:Guld Handgun:Milla Sealed J Sword. I just don't see how these drops in PSO2 can even compare to PSODC v1 or v2 yes they goofed up on drops but it's nowhere NEAR as bad as the Dreamcast era games.

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 10:33 PM
Ok how about Heaven's Punisher... Lavis Cannon Handgun:Guld Handgun:Milla Sealed J Sword. I just don't see how these drops in PSO2 can even compare to PSODC v1 or v2 yes they goofed up on drops but it's nowhere NEAR as bad as the Dreamcast era games.

Psycho wand drops, like, once a week. On the entirety of ship 2.

Once.

A.

Week.

Resanoca
Mar 14, 2013, 10:38 PM
Psycho wand drops, like, once a week. On the entirety of ship 2.

Once.

A.

Week.Hrm... During each Falz EQ, 1 Psycho Wand will drop to somebody. Interesting idea! lol

Dnd
Mar 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
Hrm... During each Falz EQ, 1 Psycho Wand will drop to somebody. Interesting idea! lol

If that was the case, then it would be like, 5-7+ a week easy

And commenting on psov2 drop-rates, the worst ones where up at nearly 1/1.4million.. for mag cells of all thing (And belras right arm, ahahahaha) - i also believe vol opt version 2 had a crazy mag cell droprate of 1/800k+, but i might be mistaken - i imagine the p-wands drop rate to be near that, if not higher still

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
If that was the case, then it would be like, 5-7+ a week easy

And commenting on psov2 drop-rates, the worst ones where up at nearly 1/1.4million.. for mag cells of all thing (And belras right arm, ahahahaha) - i also believe vol opt version 2 had a crazy mag cell droprate of 1/800k+, but i might be mistaken - i imagine the p-wands drop rate to be near that, if not higher still

Which is my point. You can't compare endgame content to early or midgame content.

Noise blower droprates are fucking absurd, and that thing is outperformed by a fucking 9*.

Zyrusticae
Mar 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
Isn't the drop record across all ships and not just the one?

I'm asking as I really don't have a clue as to what's true here (I don't have multiple characters across different ships, after all).

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
No, it's not. Someone said for a while that it was, but they were wrong. The log was never ship-wide.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 14, 2013, 11:23 PM
Which is my point. You can't compare endgame content to early or midgame content.

Noise blower droprates are fucking absurd, and that thing is outperformed by a fucking 9*.

not the new one :D

Alisha
Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
something i'd like to bring up in reguards to phantasy star portable 2. that i think could benefit this game is extend codes.

NoiseHERO
Mar 15, 2013, 12:05 AM
not the new one :D

\punches you in the ear. :D

Coatl
Mar 15, 2013, 12:19 AM
How sensible is it to farm for a noise blower in the mines AQ? As of thus far 2001 have dropped in ship 02, which is actually a lot better than a lot of the other rares from other AQs. What's everyone elses luck finding this jewel?

gigawuts
Mar 15, 2013, 12:27 AM
While looking for one I found a third maisen.

So...

Dnd
Mar 15, 2013, 12:31 AM
How sensible is it to farm for a noise blower in the mines AQ? As of thus far 2001 have dropped in ship 02, which is actually a lot better than a lot of the other rares from other AQs. What's everyone elses luck finding this jewel?

maisen seems far more common to be honest, lol

Sayara
Mar 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
Tell that to my 2 year old rare finds! D:<

Coatl
Mar 15, 2013, 12:45 AM
Well I found Regal Lancer yesterday which is supposedly four times more rare than a noise blower as well as the avenger today, so while statistically speaking I have a fair chance of getting the noise blower, the way PSO2 works I'll end up endlessly farming for it and never obtaining it.

Dnd
Mar 15, 2013, 01:40 AM
the way PSO2 works I'll end up endlessly farming for it and never obtaining it.

Yep, you got it in one right there. I know that feeling ALL too well atm..... *Looks at his green duel-gaze and sighs*

ShinMaruku
Mar 15, 2013, 03:23 AM
something i'd like to bring up in reguards to phantasy star portable 2. that i think could benefit this game is extend codes.

No what this game either needs is a better drop rate, or item quests where you go doing specific stuff for whatever look you want, call them challenge modes whatever.
There should be multiple ways of getting things aside from just hunting it through mobs because doing that submits you do man's tendency to fuck everybody over.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 15, 2013, 03:28 AM
I dunno, extends codes would be pretty nice. Thing is it would either be a cash shop item or excube exchange

ShinMaruku
Mar 15, 2013, 03:31 AM
I'd like a more substantial change to the system than just that.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 15, 2013, 03:35 AM
Taking a +10 and turning it into something way stronger with a potential that you get to pick would not be bad at all.

Why would you be opposed to that?

Syklo
Mar 15, 2013, 03:44 AM
No what this game either needs is a better drop rate, or item quests where you go doing specific stuff for whatever look you want, call them challenge modes whatever.
There should be multiple ways of getting things aside from just hunting it through mobs because doing that submits you do man's tendency to fuck everybody over.
How about.......
-A chance for a VH Daily order to reward a random 10*?
-A matterboard which gives access to all the 10*'s available right from the get-go, but require some insane amount of cash to (re)enable a particular node (200k? 500k? A 10* Trading ticket? (lul))
-If said target enemy doesn't drop a 10*, let it drop a "fragment" (either at some acceptable success rate or just an insane amount of them) and collect enough of these "fragments" to convert/craft/barter the 10* from the pyroxene shop.

Also...what are these "extend codes"?

ShinMaruku
Mar 15, 2013, 03:45 AM
That would be a start. Make that one of the ways to get it. Hell make those who particifpate in EQs as well get something to work towards too. It can also be performance based.

Angelo
Mar 15, 2013, 03:49 AM
You can not put up with it?

Just quit. I did.

I figured I'd come back when a solution was presented, and it sounds like the *10 tickets might solve that, so we'll see.

Blundy
Mar 15, 2013, 05:30 AM
so long as my meseta keeps magically turning into new costumes, i'm satisfied.

though i think things in general just need to drop more often, not enough boxes with not enough in them, people would probably like arks quests more if they were like portable where there were reward boxes at the end.

Alisha
Mar 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
an extend code could be used on an item ground to +10 to further increase its power as well as increase its rarity and equip requirement. so it could like boost a soul eater from like 300 atk to 800

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 15, 2013, 07:20 AM
Basically it was used to take a weapon that was no longer viable for your level and make it into something worth using. Was nice to be able to take your favorite weapon that was outdated and make it good again.

Agitated_AT
Mar 15, 2013, 09:12 AM
Personally, I think the drop rates are not fine, but I also think that there are alot more important issues that we should be focusing on (like how some enemies are way too passive).

I guess I should have mention on normal, hard and vhard. xd
I can't speak about AQs, since I haven't tried them yet, but, I think we shouldn't have to go through hundreds of hours to finally reach not so passive enemies, the differences between normal, hard and very hard are way too small.

Exactly. It's strange how people don't understand that a lot dont care about the rares because an actual encouragement/incentive isn't there yet. So like you said, there are more important issues that block the way, so anything that gets fixed behind that blockage doesn't really do anything except for satisfy lunatics to gain stuff they don't need(yet) more easily. I wish people were more rational or sensible around here.

Collecting rares for the sake of rares just seems kinda shallow

Scotty T
Mar 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Use the red weapons, you'll feel better.

jooozek
Mar 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Exactly. It's strange how people don't understand that a lot dont care about the rares because an actual encouragement/incentive isn't there yet. So like you said, there are more important issues that block the way, so anything that gets fixed behind that blockage doesn't really do anything except for satisfy lunatics to gain stuff they don't need(yet) more easily. I wish people were more rational or sensible around here.

Collecting rares for the sake of rares just seems kinda shallow

geee i wonder
maybe because we all played AQs
and got almost everything
that you expected?

Shinamori
Mar 21, 2013, 05:43 AM
PSE Bursts are the best place to get rare drops.
http://youtu.be/7VtjyFs_nBw?t=4m25s

jooozek
Mar 21, 2013, 05:58 AM
PSE Bursts are the best place to get rare drops.
http://youtu.be/7VtjyFs_nBw?t=4m25s

uh
thats from the closed beta, or maybe alpha
either way
point is that those rare drops are photon drops

Drybones41
Mar 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
Not personally found a 10* yet, but i do happen to find 9* weapons and units most of which aren't really useful to me.

Wouldn't increasing the drop rates after repeated playing an area/quest be a somewhat good solution? I'm not saying after a certain amount of times there is a 100% chance to drop a random 10*. Maybe the first run could have the standard drop rates. Drop rates would then slightly increase until at probably the 4th/5th(or whatever is suitable)? run. Then after that it would stay like that until the user logs out, switches character, switches quest/area, abandons quest (well anything that would "reset" progress)
Increase of drop rates could be selective and/or can be varied so that the items don't become over abundant.

This would probably give some incentive to hunt for rares whilst somewhat improving chances.

DFC
Mar 21, 2013, 07:28 AM
I think I have killed Dark Falz Elder about 70 times now, still not a single Elder Rod, I only seem to get everything except Force/Techer stuff.
Atleast I've found a Flame Visit, which I'll probably never be able to use.

Poubelle
Mar 21, 2013, 07:30 AM
I think I have killed Dark Falz Elder about 70 times now, still not a single Elder Rod, I only seem to get everything except Force/Techer stuff.
Atleast I've found a Flame Visit, which I'll probably never be able to use.

I've done about a thousand advance quests and haven't found a single 10 star gun yet.

How's that?

Shinamori
Mar 21, 2013, 07:30 AM
I found like 4 rares and they were all useless as they were canes, rods, or tails. <_<

Poubelle
Mar 21, 2013, 07:32 AM
Also, it seems like the effects of PSE Burst are very minimal. I often do 10+ minute Bursts with my AQ group, and I never get anything (other than red weapons... sometimes).

Saffran
Mar 21, 2013, 07:41 AM
Yeah, droprates are bad, and yeah, most people don't care because the game is too easy as is.
I have a 9* rifle (Tigre D'or it seems?) and it gives me like 400 Ratk, which I thought was fine for VH. I get to about 1200 total R-Atk after the Shifta Drink and whatnots, I do just fine.
And then during the waiting time of a Falz EQ I checked the others' gear.
10*, 1000+ T-Atk.
10*, 900+ S-Atk.
10*, almost 1000 R-Atk.
On. Every. Single. Player.
Someone was hitting for 50k+, I don't know exactly who.
We have end game weapons available in midgame content. If anything, the droprates of 10* and higher should be *zero*.
Obviously Sega is not going to listen to that, and they're obviously not going to nerf 400 points away from the weapon stats either.
The only alternative they have is to set the drops astronomically low - combined with their atrocious grinding process.
And that still isn't enough to stop players from power raping anything in sight. AQ risks at +15? Seriously? A boosted boss 16+ levels above you should be the one mawing you down, not the reverse. The situation is absurd.

Two little things unrelated:
a) Wasn't there a 1 on 2 million drop for God Shield Biakko from VH wolves in PSOv1? Good old Sega.
b) I remember that HU problem list thread, but quite frankly, it's missing the elephant in the room - the fact that ranged damage is absurdly high. Speeding up HUs would be indeed a solution, but it would break Time Attack.

TheDeFiler
Mar 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
a) Wasn't there a 1 on 2 million drop for God Shield Biakko from VH wolves in PSOv1? Good old Sega.

Most of the ubers in V2 had insane drops. They were obviously toned down from Eps. I & II on. I actually got that drop too and I actually spit my drink out when it happened. Yeah the drop rates are a bit too much in this game but at least we have the Auction house. Sure we'll be paying out the ass but farming meseta seems easier then actually hunting and eventually grinding that weapon. I actually fired up my old Dreamcast to get me some V2 action again lol.

Shinamori
Mar 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
This is why I always tired to make a Skyly

Skyly: Ultimate:Control Center Gi Gue 1/12604
=P

Rien
Mar 21, 2013, 08:23 AM

Someone going trigger happy with Chain Trigger.

oratank
Mar 21, 2013, 08:27 AM
why do we need to hunt 10* when we have red weapon

of cause for fashion

Rien
Mar 21, 2013, 08:30 AM
Red Weapon gives -dex

so lambda 9* is more favorable if you can't obtain 10*

Saffran
Mar 21, 2013, 08:34 AM
Rien > Nah, that was per hit and it wasn't Elder Rebellion. Absurd anyway.

Also, I've "discovered" (more like finally checked and learned) that +1 risk=/=+1 to enemy level. So I guess +15 risks enemies are not that much stronger than you.

Rien
Mar 21, 2013, 08:34 AM
It's most likely Satellite Aim. I know it can hit for that much.

Bellion
Mar 21, 2013, 08:52 AM
AQ enemies go up to lvl 60 at +12 risk. They cannot go above level 60. Risk does increase the rate of boosted enemies, though.

Dextro
Mar 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
Nah, that was per hit and it wasn't Elder Rebellion.

It was probably Zeus subbing /FI and hurling down Zondes from mount olympus :lightning::lightning::lightning::lightning:

Z-0
Mar 21, 2013, 12:12 PM
I can see Partisans doing the same thing too. My Lambda Patty hits almost 40k with Assault Buster... 12?

Also some other things too.

NoiseHERO
Mar 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah, droprates are bad, and yeah, most people don't care because the game is too easy as is.
I have a 9* rifle (Tigre D'or it seems?) and it gives me like 400 Ratk, which I thought was fine for VH. I get to about 1200 total R-Atk after the Shifta Drink and whatnots, I do just fine.
10*, 1000+ T-Atk.
10*, 900+ S-Atk.
10*, almost 1000 R-Atk.
We have end game weapons available in midgame content. If anything, the droprates of 10* and higher should be *zero*.
Obviously Sega is not going to listen to that, and they're obviously not going to nerf 400 points away from the weapon stats either.
The only alternative they have is to set the drops astronomically low - combined with their atrocious grinding process.
And that still isn't enough to stop players from power raping anything in sight. AQ risks at +15? Seriously? A boosted boss 16+ levels above you should be the one mawing you down, not the reverse. The situation is absurd.

b) I remember that HU problem list thread, but quite frankly, it's missing the elephant in the room - the fact that ranged damage is absurdly high. Speeding up HUs would be indeed a solution, but it would break Time Attack.

you're a RANGER,(as in non-super-gear dependant class) using an 6 month old hard-mode weapon and using an experience in an MPA for reference?

Nah, No 0 on droprates, brah.

gigawuts
Mar 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sorry to veer this a bit off topic here, but I wanted to give some feedback on these two points since I see them brought up a lot. The second one isn't exactly on topic.

Yeah, the rates in PSOv1 were utterly insane. Pretty much everything worthwhile was up in the hundreds of thousands, even millions for the "ubers." That said, a longer running game meant better drops. That had the exact effect you might expect - people burnt out their dreamcasts trying to get good items by leaving it on for two straight weeks. Yeah...they scrapped that in the GC version and stopped fighting the tide. Players want items. PSO was an item hunting game. Just give 'em the items and make sure they want more than one, yeah? Rares went from being "find one, never use anything else and make all your friends jealous" to "find five, each one has something it's good at and other things it's not good at."
[SPOILER-BOX]
And then this. This depends. If they're TOO fast it might, but not really. Right now the best speedruns, far and above, are FO/FI. FO/TE is up there too. If you give something about speed to HU, FO/FI is untouched. That said, FI has knuckledashing, which is the go-to easy speed trick in TA's. Just hold attack and then release+hold dash every time you dash. It requires knuckle gear, and the shortened animation is what makes it work. FO/FI speedrunners do this constantly with the allclass boxing gloves. If you give both HU and FI a sustained run tied to just holding down dash with a melee weapon out, and then make it the same exact speed as knuckledashing, nothing has really changed except it works with other weapons and DOESN'T wear down your hardware (or require scripts) to do.

There's also more advanced suggestions more comparable to rodeo drive - which hasn't been called OP since pretty much june - like maybe a set sadinian lunge or a sil dinian charge, but those would be more touchy and preferably require PP (But WITHOUT taking up a PA slot and just be a part of the melee weapon, like step -> PA for lunge instead of step -> normal attack for step attack).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Saffran
Mar 21, 2013, 12:56 PM
Rock > I never play Ranger except these days, I want to level up to 45 (am 44 right now).
Yeah, my weapon is old, I know that. It's 6 months old and I can use it just fine to trash anything in the game - it takes time, but it's largely doable.
It seems to me that the old weapons are balanced for VH - you get 400-450 at +10 and combine with your own 500-ish and it gets you through the game. Soloing is a bit long but in a party, it's a lot more manageable.

The thing is, some of the newer weapons (red weapons and reskins) have twice that amount of attack, but what do we get in way of enemies? Lv56+ enemies are not tanks. I tried AQ when they came out, we went in a party of 3 and went through it like a hot blade through butter. And that's at lv 45, with shallow equipment (fossil victor+6) and sub-par skill trees.
If all the 10* they release are going to have godly amounts of Atk, and if Ultimate difficulty isn't a jump, the game will still be easy mode all around, MPA or solo.
Right now the godly weapons are rare - people moan and lament about it at every occasion.
I understand it's frustrating to kill 10k spardans and not get their corresponding rare. It would drive me crazy too. But if the weapon wasn't that rare, it would be *everywhere*.
Right now, although there is a draught of rares, everybody you meet in a VH MPA has some kind of super equipment that obliterates everything. But it's not the rarest of rares and so people complain about it - missing the fact that they couldn't possibly have any use for the super rare weapon, outside of bragging.

In all honesty, I would rather have all the super effective weapons start dropping at all in Ultimate. At least it would make sense. But having Ultimate Mode gear dropping in VH (and having us play VH for several months on end to farm for it) will only turn Ultimate into "Oh it survived one PA?" mode. It's a disappointment in the making.
But by then, Sega will release even better gear so people will go on complaining anyway...

gigawuts
Mar 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
I understand it's frustrating to kill 10k spardans and not get their corresponding rare. It would drive me crazy too. But if the weapon wasn't that rare, it would be *everywhere*.
[...]
But by then, Sega will release even better gear so people will go on complaining anyway...

Well, this is the point. The item being everywhere is good. The fact that there's no reason to use anything else? That's bad. Special Weapons are not special barring only a few exceptions, which are either allclass or offer tatk like madame's umbrella. Then there's the elder pain and the seiteinweise - basically the only two items in the game with latents that are something besides 5% JA or tech charge damage that are somehow useful.

The point is, a proper loot game doesn't depend on players finding one single item and using it, because they never find another one again. It offers up lots, and makes sure you want them all, and makes sure you keep coming back because you do find them all as you hunt for slightly longer and slightly longer each time. It gives you breadcrumbs so you don't get frustrated after exceeding the average rate by 3 times over the course of 3 months, while watching your friends get it repeatedly. The average being 10k means that at 40k kills ~1.8% of players still won't have it. Fourty fucking thousand kills and they still won't have it. This is not okay. Bring that down to a 2k droprate and make sure players want more than just that one item? Now it's basically impossible to not have it by 40k kills. Bring all droprates down to reasonable levels, give them all things they're good at besides raw atk, and you have the model that made Phantasy Star the success it is today.

NoiseHERO
Mar 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
Rock > I never play Ranger except these days, I want to level up to 45 (am 44 right now).
Yeah, my weapon is old, I know that. It's 6 months old and I can use it just fine to trash anything in the game - it takes time, but it's largely doable.
It seems to me that the old weapons are balanced for VH - you get 400-450 at +10 and combine with your own 500-ish and it gets you through the game. Soloing is a bit long but in a party, it's a lot more manageable.

The thing is, some of the newer weapons (red weapons and reskins) have twice that amount of attack, but what do we get in way of enemies? Lv56+ enemies are not tanks. I tried AQ when they came out, we went in a party of 3 and went through it like a hot blade through butter. And that's at lv 45, with shallow equipment (fossil victor+6) and sub-par skill trees.
If all the 10* they release are going to have godly amounts of Atk, and if Ultimate difficulty isn't a jump, the game will still be easy mode all around, MPA or solo.
Right now the godly weapons are rare - people moan and lament about it at every occasion.
Right now, although there is a draught of rares, everybody you meet in a VH MPA has some kind of super equipment that obliterates everything. But it's not the rarest of rares and so people complain about it - missing the fact that they couldn't possibly have any use for the super rare weapon, outside of bragging.

In all honesty, I would rather have all the super effective weapons start dropping at all in Ultimate. At least it would make sense. But having Ultimate Mode gear dropping in VH (and having us play VH for several months on end to farm for it) will only turn Ultimate into "Oh it survived one PA?" mode. It's a disappointment in the making.

if you're saying having weapons that strong would make the game too easy. Then that's a completely different problem within it'self.

Either way the game design for weapons is terrible, you're just promoting bad drop rates for weapons as the fix for it.

Anyway I'm sure half a million other people will be able to tell you why, not even just rare weapons, but anything related RNG in this game in general is terrible and should not be defended in any form.

Dnd
Mar 21, 2013, 01:18 PM
I tried AQ when they came out, we went in a party of 3 and went through it like a hot blade through butter. And that's at lv 45, with shallow equipment (fossil victor+6) and sub-par skill trees.

Until you've been subjected to the worst AQs have to offer (triple boosted rare banther twins, triple boosted crys draal at lv60) then you cant honestly say that about them, the earlier risk levels are meant to be easy still.

Fighting a boss that takes 15 mins, in a party with all this "10* gear that obliterates everything" and if you get hit without guarding your dead instantly (save, for iron will) is not the same as a hot knife through butter, but that might be just me.

But it's not the rarest of rares and so people complain about it - missing the fact that they couldn't possibly have any use for the super rare weapon, outside of bragging.

With any rare drop, bragging will happen - personally speaking I still want a falclaw, why? so I can go Fi/Te and have alot of fun with a hybrid for once without suffering a huge penalty. Is that useful? in a group of 4 melee, yes. Will i ever get it? most likely no, but you can still hope right?

gigawuts
Mar 21, 2013, 01:23 PM
Sorry dnd, but uh, fi/te won't give you WL PA's, and the normal swings aren't that great.

Yeah...not even the 11*'s are useful for anything but their raw damage. Sorry dude. You gotta have HU in the mix somewhere. That means either HU/TE, HU/FI, or FI/HU. The only thing anyone would even want on it is resta anyway, which isn't amped up by weapon's TATK (only affixes and your base stats). Zondeel's damage isn't what makes zondeel so awesome for melee users, and without bolt PP save it would be pretty meh to spam it anyway.

This is kind of making my point for me about weapons only being worth their damage stats, honestly.

Dnd
Mar 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sorry dnd, but uh, fi/te won't give you WL PA's, and the normal swings aren't that great.

Yeah...not even the 11*'s are useful for anything but their raw damage. Sorry dude. You gotta have HU in the mix somewhere. That means either HU/TE, HU/FI, or FI/HU. The only thing anyone would even want on it is resta anyway, which isn't amped up by weapon's TATK (only affixes and your base stats). Zondeel's damage isn't what makes zondeel so awesome for melee users, and without bolt PP save it would be pretty meh to spam it anyway.

This is kind of making my point for me about weapons only being worth their damage stats, honestly.

Im terrible and shouldn't post when tired. Regardless, I'd still want it to try out the hybrid melee/tech user and it'll be the closest thing to a Pso1&2 Hunewearl i can reach atm D:

NoiseHERO
Mar 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
My alt was gonna go WL main HU/TE

Lemme know if it's fun.

Zyrusticae
Mar 21, 2013, 02:17 PM
10*, 1000+ T-Atk.
10*, 900+ S-Atk.
10*, almost 1000 R-Atk.
It's worth noting that anyone you see on during US prime time hours is almost certainly going to be one of the most hardcore JP players. 6 PM EST is 9 AM over there, a time that only NEETs, hikikomori, unemployed college students, and night shift workers are likely to be online at.

When I play during JP prime time (3 AM over here, 6 PM over there) I frequently run into players with terrible, awful gear: I once ran in a DF Elder MP where I was not only doing the most damage, but actually out-damaging the entire rest of the MP combined! I distinctly recall seeing lots of red weapons, but the thing that stood out most in my mind was someone actually using a Hellfret. A Hellfret. Really?!

So let it be known: The JP players really are overwhelmingly casual. A huge number of the players you actually run into are the exceptions, and unsurprisingly, their population is but a small fraction of what you see during JP prime time hours.

Z-0
Mar 21, 2013, 02:23 PM
They are? I play during JP Primetime quite often (I live in a European Timezone, so it's not in the middle of the night for me) and I see plenty of people with overpowered equipment.

I don't doubt you or anything, but I don't think it's necessarily a majority, probably a 50/50 split or something.

gigawuts
Mar 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
It varies.

JP casuals are overwhelmingly bad.

JP hardcores are overwhelmingly good.

They're pretty much the same as the EN community, just higher highs and lower lows afaict.

~Aya~
Mar 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Soo.. went from 1-25 hunter and have only seen 2 rares.. both from blue rappies. That is until I equipped a zanba with lucky rise on it. Half-way through 25 so far and have found 4 rares. Lol

This game loves lucky rise!!

Hooray engrish.

Saffran
Mar 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
It's true that I play between 9PM and 1AM in France, which means 5AM to 9AM in Japan. I do think that indeed, it's likely that I meet really hardcore people.

Zyrusticae
Mar 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
It varies.

JP casuals are overwhelmingly bad.

JP hardcores are overwhelmingly good.

They're pretty much the same as the EN community, just higher highs and lower lows afaict.
Pretty much.

The funny thing is, immediately after that terrible, horrible MP I got into a super-efficient MP that killed DF in just about 3 minutes.

If this game were a roller coaster ride I think my neck would have broken from the whiplash.

Flame
Mar 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
My advice to you OP, would be to quit playing this train wreck of a game and don't look back. I just bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and after one hour it's already more fun than any of the hundreds of hours I invested in PSO2. From one disappointed player to another : just move on.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 22, 2013, 02:25 AM
My advice to you OP, would be to quit playing this train wreck of a game and don't look back. I just bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and after one hour it's already more fun than any of the hundreds of hours I invested in PSO2. From one disappointed player to another : just move on.
I put about 600 hours of monster hunter tri 3 and as much fun as I had with that game I still think PSO2 is better (besides the low level of challenge) and as for updates for monster hunter games don't expect anything good the special events are just awful in that game

Agitated_AT
Mar 22, 2013, 03:45 AM

wow you too? my game pre order should be coming tomrrow. pm me your wii u nick

this is my first actual MH purchase. I liked the demo. It almost feels like what PSO2 tried to copy and failed becuz it didnt fit the pso universe. minus the looting and craft system

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 04:20 AM
yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that PSO2 holds a candle to MH3U. No Wii U, though

Agitated_AT
Mar 22, 2013, 05:47 AM
Yeah. While I don't wanna drive this offntopic, I just wanna say that most ideas like the free fields, and the random boss apearances in the field feel more apropriate in monster hunter. For example the average enemy on the field feels like easy fodder in pso2. Everyone really runs around the field hoping to find a boss E code to apear. Unless theres a specific drop ya wanna find. In monster hunter however every part and corner of the field has loot that you need for crafting so in that sense the looting/craft system lends itself better to a free field format.

I do really think those concepts have been taken from MH because of the series popularity, which is a shame because I don't feel like it fits in pso2 and I think instead they should have built upon PSO's own identity.

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah. *sigh*. It's unfortunate.

I think they can still possibly salvage PSO2 though. but it looks very grim right now.

Seraphus
Mar 22, 2013, 08:23 AM
Just move on.

Noc Codez
Mar 22, 2013, 08:33 AM
Just move on.

Pretty much this

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah seriously, goddamn dude you're just shitting up the forums with your bitching and moaning at this point. Just move the fuck on.

It gets really ridiculous when you outright say there's better games out there AND YOU'RE STILL HERE. Why aren't you just playing those other games then? Goddamn.

Z-0
Mar 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
Well, it's because PSO2 could be a much better game but it really isn't.

Which it isn't.

So basically we have hope for it and stick around hoping it'll get better, but will it? probably not.

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, and? So what?

Whining is fucking whining. It gets tiresome no matter how justified you may think it is. It's fucking whining.

Goddamn, nothing but whining.

Macman
Mar 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
Whining about whining is even worse, though.

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
No, it's not.

When the whining stops, SO WILL I. It's that simple.

You may have noticed that I have said nothing about the whining for at least a week until this post. That's because I haven't had to say a damn thing about it, but now it's really getting out of hand.

Cut that shit out. We've heard it all before, a million times even, and there's absolutely nothing you can say that we haven't already thought of ourselves. It's tiresome and sickening and I really, really wish it would stop.

Agitated_AT
Mar 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
Whining about whining is even worse, though.

i agree with this. let people `whine` all they want. it shouldnt bother you. and if it does, turning it into an issue isnt gonna solve anything except for derailing threads and making u look like yer not open to different perspectives. We are talking about a videogame. its not worth it to get all worked up about.

people are showing consistent dissatisfaction. its a natural reaction ya gotta deal with. the game is there and nobody is preventing you to enjoy it. theres countless of positive threads. imagine if they were told to shut up..

basically, dont shut people up because of opinions you dont agree with

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
Whining (which this thread really isn't, but fine I'll go with that word) is a healthy component of both a community AND the reception of a game.

Nothing is perfect. Whining functions to highlight the most glaring imperfections so they can be fine tuned. Everybody wins. Just remember to submit your feedback.

Don't like whining? Don't read it.

EvilMag
Mar 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
Don't like whining? Don't read it.
That's asking too much.

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, no, the negative bullshit posts outnumber anything positive by a ratio of at least 3:1.

That's fucking ridiculous. The game has problems, but they hardly need to be expounded on AT LENGTH this many times. We've heard it all before, there is absolutely nothing to be discussed on the matter, the only point to further whining is to be a little bitch.

It's especially irritating when what's being complained about are core gameplay mechanics. You know what? THOSE WILL NEVER CHANGE. Leave now if the game is not for you, it's that fucking simple.

Saffran
Mar 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
Whining =/= constructive criticism.
"The reskins suck"
"The game's too easy"
"the game's too hard"
"I can't be bothered to actually do what the game requires"
"you suck - NO U"
"The story suks"
"The characters are bad"
"The matterboards are boring"
"not enough exp"
"Not enough meseta"
"When do we get a new update?"
"Are the new weapons out yet?"
"I always fail my grinds"
"my equipment sucks I want rares"
All. Fucking. Day. Long.
If I could avoid reading it, I would, but that's not in the realm of the possible.
But maybe complaining about the whining will tone it down, when people realize th-- nah let's not kid ourselves it's just not gonna happen.

jooozek
Mar 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
how can anyone expect no whining about such terrible game is beyond me
all it takes for someone to see how terrible this game is playing some other PS titles
all the small shitbits add up and create something that could only remind anyone of a diarrhoea of worst stuff mixed up with piss
:roll:
inb4 f2p card call

Kondibon
Mar 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a complaint but if all you're going to do is talk about how much something sucks without at least suggesting ways to make it better then there's not really a point in doing it, and it just ruins the experience for the other people who might not feel as strongly about it as you.

EDIT: We could all do with some more critical thinking as well. That's always a good habit to get into.

Zipzo
Mar 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah, no, the negative bullshit posts outnumber anything positive by a ratio of at least 3:1.

That's fucking ridiculous. The game has problems, but they hardly need to be expounded on AT LENGTH this many times. We've heard it all before, there is absolutely nothing to be discussed on the matter, the only point to further whining is to be a little bitch.

It's especially irritating when what's being complained about are core gameplay mechanics. You know what? THOSE WILL NEVER CHANGE. Leave now if the game is not for you, it's that fucking simple.

You seem a little bit mad.

*pat

There's no reason you should care so much what people think.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 03:34 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a complaint but if all you're going to do is talk about how much something sucks without at least suggesting ways to make it better then there's not really a point in doing it, and it just ruins the experience for the other people who might not feel as strongly about it as you.

Pretty good breakdown of whining.

Whining is only useful if you actually think it through enough to draw some conclusions other than "I dislike this."

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
You seem a little bit mad.

*pat

There's no reason you should care so much what people think.
You're right, there isn't.

It doesn't matter, though, because everything about this is 100% irrational. Whining about it in the first place is frequently because of emotional reactions to the perceived quality of their play experience versus that of other games (or their own imaginary fantasies, for that matter). My reaction to their whining is the result of seeing CONSTANT AND UNENDING complaints over the course of many hundreds of hours of forum whoring.

I shouldn't care nearly as much about this shit as I do, but I do. Like most things that have to do with emotions, rationality does absolutely fuck-all to curb this shit. It's the same thing with my goddamn social anxiety disorder - completely, 100% irrational and no amount of telling myself "this is stupid" is going to make it go away.

So I'm going to keep bitching about whining until I have nothing left to bitch about. Them's the breaks.

NoiseHERO
Mar 22, 2013, 04:11 PM
getting mad about people being mad!

Time to find a new use for the internet!

Enforcer MKV
Mar 22, 2013, 04:13 PM

EDIT: We could all do with some more critical thinking as well. That's always a good habit to get into.

Yeah, that would be nice. Feels like that took a nosedive...around the time CBT was released?

Seraphus
Mar 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
Pretty good breakdown of whining.

Whining is only useful if you actually think it through enough to draw some conclusions other than "I dislike this."

And my post was mostly about Agitated_AT's posts. I was going to go way more into detail about the mechanics of PSO2 vs PSO1 and MH. But then I realized, he doesn't play the game anymore, he doesn't have any hope for PSO2, all he does is try to get people to not play the game. Which is what Flame's non-constructive post triggered. It looks like joozek and Kondibon have the right idea.

PSO2 does indeed have its faults but some act like it is the spawn of satan when it isn't really that much of a departure of "PSO". It really is the nostalgia factor if some people believe there is no hope or the game is a train wreck. Flame was basically saying to move on too while trash talking the game with no constructive criticism (which he obviously hadn't because why are you still posting here?)

I also wanted to say, I'd take MH over any of the PS series any day. Sadly, I have no platform to play it on. Doesn't mean PSO2 is the worst thing ever, and I still enjoy it somewhat. I also don't like how Capcom is being pretty lazy with the series.

You also can't just say "don't like it? don't read it". These posts have definitely been off-topic, including this one, so they should just be removed from this thread.

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
I also wanted to say, I'd take MH over any of the PS series any day. Sadly, I have no platform to play it on. Doesn't mean PSO2 is the worst thing ever, and I still enjoy it somewhat. I also don't like how Capcom is being pretty lazy with the series.

Agreed on everything you said. MH3U is far better than PSO2 honestly, and gives the same type of experience - but I have no Wii U (played it at a friend's house though).

I don't know if "lazy" was the right word... more incompetent, there's no excuse for MH3U not running at 60 FPS. but still, they're nowhere near as incompetent as whoever is working on PSO2.

Exactly, and from the looks of it plenty of people ITT have been suggesting options and pointing out other games with more fair drop rates.

but really as for Zyrusticae, you can call anything "whining", "bitching" if you want, but the rare drop rate in PSO2 may be the biggest single issue with the game. I mean, it's that bad. I know there are issues with the gameplay & balance, etc. but the fact that the player simply can not advance their character in many cases is just a glaring flaw.

gravityvx
Mar 22, 2013, 07:35 PM
Some games do some things well. Other games do other things well. It makes sense to me that we should be allowed to say "Why not have this one do both?" but hey what do I know.

Many mmos have tried this and have been crushed under WoW every year in terms of active subs 1-2 months after their initial release and usually end up giving in to f2p in turn usually making them utter crap with ridiculous microtransactions around every corner. A better idea would be do something different and do it right instead of copy/pasting every other games idea just for the sake of having what they have thinking it will bring success. As far as drop rates go though, I still don't have an issue with it myself but it does seem to need major adjusting with all the "y u no drop" complaints I've been seeing browsing here over the past few months.

Kondibon
Mar 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
A better idea would be do something different and do it right instead of copy/pasting every other games idea just for the sake of having what they have thinking it will bring success..

Just because something is making mistakes in some areas dosn't mean it can't do things right in others. And there's nothing wrong with copying something that works provided you actually understand how and why it works.

gravityvx
Mar 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
Just because something is making mistakes in some areas dosn't mean it can't do things right in others. And there's nothing wrong with copying something that works provided you actually understand how and why it works.

Understanding how and why it works is only part of the puzzle, you also have to consider how it would work in your own game, why it would be better for your game and it's playerbase, and how you can implement it so that it's better than the other game you borrowed the idea from. Which is something not one mmo this gen has accomplished yet, nearly all the "AAA" mmos have went from P2P to F2P or done a complete overhaul of their game to try and get players back. The sad part about a lot of these is that most had really high potential like PSO2, but falls short somewhere along the lines and loses many players.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
Lol what.

The parts it brought in from other games are great.

The problem is it abandoned what made it successful in the past.

Kondibon
Mar 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
Understanding how and why it works is only part of the puzzle, you also have to consider how it would work in your own game, why it would be better for your game and it's playerbase, and how you can implement it so that it's better than the other game you borrowed the idea from. Which is something not one mmo this gen has accomplished yet, nearly all the "AAA" mmos have went from P2P to F2P or done a complete overhaul of their game to try and get players back. The sad part about a lot of these is that most had really high potential like PSO2, but falls short somewhere along the lines and loses many players.

Oh, I know all about that, but I was talking game mechanics more than business models.

Well, yeah. That's all Poopball ever does. Baits people with threads and posts that skirt the forum rules in an attempt to rile people up. It's fun watching Troll Amateur Hour, though.

It's a literal exercise in self control for me. And frankly when he isn't bashing people's characters on the screenshots thread he does start conversations that I think we should talk out at some point.

Eventually we'll all have to agree to disagree and play the game or not though.

Saffran
Mar 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
I think people are just coming here to vent their stress and negativity that comes from somewhere else in life.

Nah, if anything, reading the forum stresses me a lot more.
And obviously I'm not the only one.

Hey, since we're in a drop rates thread, did you notice that eating the sister's cakes (Fruits Tarte in particuliar it seems) would increase the droprates greatly?
I've just gotten one of Elder's units. It's a good thing we will be able to turn them into tickets...

Syklo
Mar 22, 2013, 08:39 PM
Nah, if anything, reading the forum stresses me a lot more.
And obviously I'm not the only one.

Hey, since we're in a drop rates thread, did you notice that eating the sister's cakes (Fruits Tarte in particuliar it seems) would increase the droprates greatly?
I've just gotten one of Elder's units. It's a good thing we will be able to turn them into tickets...
Well this is interesting.

And now I wonder why you guys even play PSO2 (aside from nostalgia)........or games in general.
Don't like the game? Too easy? Too much of a joke?
Why are you playing?

Saffran
Mar 23, 2013, 04:53 AM
>Why are you playing?

Because it's PSO2 and because it's a very good game? Duh?