PDA

View Full Version : DuckTales gets a facelift

Zeota
Mar 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
For those of us that grew up with this stuff. (http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/48929/ducktales-remastered-coming-this-summer)

DuckTales is one of the greatest NES games out there!

yoshiblue
Mar 22, 2013, 02:02 PM
Awesome. Now we just need an awesome version of Quackpack and Goof Troop.

Zeota
Mar 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
Indeed.

I honestly learned more about economics from that show than I did from taking a class in high school.

Sayara
Mar 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
If they even dare fuck with the masterpiece that was once the Moon i will scream

Enforcer MKV
Mar 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
If they even dare fuck with the masterpiece that was once the Moon i will scream

They're adding a giant pool of money you can swim in.

Sayara
Mar 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
well the theme more so, but that worsk too.

Polly
Mar 22, 2013, 02:18 PM

I'm gonna guess that they'll have Jake "Virt" Kaufmann doing the soundtrack as WayForward has for some time, and if there's a guy I trust to handle a classic soundtrack and bring it to the modern era, it's that guy. He's got a real love and appreciation for classic tunes and has always done stellar work.

Zeota
Mar 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
At least this is being done in-house unlike another certain remake, so thankfully they have the rights to the original pieces.

Polly
Mar 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
At least this is being done in-house unlike another certain remake, so thankfully they have the rights to the original pieces.

WayForward isn't an in-house Capcom studio, so how's it an in-house job?

Zeota
Mar 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
Probably should've rephrased that. Perhaps "published by the original developer" would be more apt. The remake I mentioned before was "Turtles In Time Re-Shelled", which Konami had no part of, and if I remember right, they couldn't use any of the of the original music.

I'm more curious as to why this thing's getting an E10 rating. "Fantasy violence" is a pretty vague term. The Mario games had you jumping on enemies and hitting them with fireballs and they pretty much always got E ratings.

NoiseHERO
Mar 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
my god.

Do want.

Sayara
Mar 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
Maybe cuz you're using a stick? and hitting actual human-esque creatures? :wacko:

Zeota
Mar 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
True, though plenty of other games with similar acts have skated by, but enough of these observations.

"The Moon" was an epic piece no doubt, but my favorite track was still "The himalayas".

Retehi
Mar 22, 2013, 04:44 PM
They're adding a giant pool of money you can swim in.

Oh my god gimmie.

Atbar
Mar 22, 2013, 06:59 PM
Now do Rescue Rangers remastered. It would be great to use the other two characters from the show for some 4-player action box throwing action.

Polly
Mar 27, 2013, 10:40 AM
Even better news for those of us that just don't give much of a damn to turn our consoles on anymore. (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/27/capcom-working-on-confirming-ducktales-remastered-for-pc/)

Outrider
Mar 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
I played the demo at PAX East.

It's... not great.

Granted, it still seemed like an early build and WayForward is a developer you can trust, so it's entirely possible that they'll turn it around before launch. What they had at PAX, though? Egh. Maybe it's been a while since I played the NES game, but I don't remember it being so clunky or having such confusing level design.

The animations are gorgeous, though.

Polly
Mar 27, 2013, 11:51 AM
I played the demo at PAX East.

It's... not great.

Granted, it still seemed like an early build and WayForward is a developer you can trust, so it's entirely possible that they'll turn it around before launch. What they had at PAX, though? Egh. Maybe it's been a while since I played the NES game, but I don't remember it being so clunky or having such confusing level design.

The animations are gorgeous, though.

Clunkiness has unfortunately been an issue for WayForward games as of late. The DS Aliens game didn't feel so great and Double Dragon Neon felt like it was underwater the entire time. Their Bloodrayne 2D brawler was really good and snappy, but their output recently has been a bit...eh. Kinda bummed to hear this one's sorta bringing the clunk at this stage of the game. Summer release puts it somewhere around June-September'ish, and that's not a lot of time to make adjustments to core gameplay mechanics like character speed and then re-working levels around that. :\

yoshiblue
Mar 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
Solve the problem by adding the original game as an unlock.

Outrider
Mar 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
Clunkiness has unfortunately been an issue for WayForward games as of late. The DS Aliens game didn't feel so great and Double Dragon Neon felt like it was underwater the entire time. Their Bloodrayne 2D brawler was really good and snappy, but their output recently has been a bit...eh. Kinda bummed to hear this one's sorta bringing the clunk at this stage of the game. Summer release puts it somewhere around June-September'ish, and that's not a lot of time to make adjustments to core gameplay mechanics like character speed and then re-working levels around that. :\

Honestly, I think it was more the level design than the character movement. I dunno, maybe it was the addition of visual depth to the backgrounds, but the demo of the haunted mansion felt way more roundabout and poorly-designed than I remember the NES game being.

On a mostly-unrelated note: Is the DS Aliens game worth $10? Because that is how much Amazon is selling it for and I've kind of had it in the back of my mind for a while even though I don't really care for the Aliens franchise.

Polly
Mar 27, 2013, 03:48 PM
Honestly, I think it was more the level design than the character movement. I dunno, maybe it was the addition of visual depth to the backgrounds, but the demo of the haunted mansion felt way more roundabout and poorly-designed than I remember the NES game being.

On a mostly-unrelated note: Is the DS Aliens game worth $10? Because that is how much Amazon is selling it for and I've kind of had it in the back of my mind for a while even though I don't really care for the Aliens franchise.

Eh, if you got $10 to spare and don't mind putting it toward a game you may not necessarily like, I'd say why not, but it's really just a pretty bleh game. It has some interesting ideas, but the character movement is really weighty and unresponsive, hit detection is kind of a joke, and overall game progression is fairly boring.