PDA

View Full Version : It's happening...

BogusKun
Mar 23, 2013, 05:09 PM
I will be moving to Seoul, R.O.K. (S. Korea) and I'm quite nervous... in a good way.

Being in Japan on my own before and stationed away from home (as well as being in combat), I am used to being away for a long period time. I'm often asked "won't you miss your family?".

I answer that question honestly, I am quite distant from them even living in the same city, state, or country. My family poor, and the struggles they go through get to their head. They no longer look after me or anyone else. That being said, I could careless... but I love them and I could care as I sometimes do. I grew closer with my mother who has always been distant, but when I started my job with M$ she suffered from multiple strokes and her life changed. Our lives changed, I even stopped playing my games less just to focus on finding a way to help her. We talked about things I'm going through. As a middle child, I watched my family have families of their own and establish themselves. They are very realistic people, but they have their own worlds and reality. I have always been more free-spirited and a dreamer... I have things I want to do and I wouldn't stop for anyone. I been to places around the world, met people in many states in my own country, I have done the military, college, and university thing, and on top of that a lot of dead-end job experiences.

A lot of people in my family are robotic to me because they have to be. It's weird because as a Marine, I have always been told that I am a tool, machine, and puppet. For what? I have learned to survive and sustain, but with a lot of bad happening to me than good--- I just want to get away again. I thought that maybe I come back to Dallas and make something of myself. A year has gone by since I started Grad-School and I'm unable to do anything worth my time to progress myself. I am criticized for not wanting to stick to what I call "the usual" and "typical" things people I know do. They go to work and complain about how they are treated, the low-pay, not getting promoted, and racial discrimination. Also a lot of people with seemingly strong attitudes are stuck in a position in life where they cannot move because they feel that changing something or standing up for themselves will ruin what they already have.

So I have decided to line myself up for a teaching job in Korea (and I don't mind any adversities there despite its good pay and cultural differences) under a year-long contract just to test the waters. I want to explore this and surrounding areas in case I want to include this in my own teachings. I already know I want to get my Ph.D in Asian Studies (Japanese) and it would be good to be in the countries I teach about as a professor with real experience... not just textbook experience (which is what most students have). My time in Japan helped me find a future in myself, and I feel that if no one likes it... then what better reason to keep going. You can work for minimum wage all of your life and be depressed about not moving forward if you choose? I know I don't want that.

Anyways... just rambling on PSO-W.... :)

ROLO
Mar 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
Keep on keeping on man you are right in letting no one stop you I hope your position in SK goes well! I want to go to Tokyo one day plan on being an architect and engineer and want to spread my works especially in JP so keep ya head up :D