PDA

View Full Version : Help With My Journey To Magic Gunslinger

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 09:38 AM
Hello PSOWorld. I have just made this account now to create this thread, to ask for help from the more experienced players.

Me and my friend have recently just came back after playing way back when the game was first released.

We came back after hearing about the EU release getting delayed and figured why not? So anyway, now for why I'm making this thread.

After looking over a lot of the classes and seeing what I would like. I was wondering if going Gunner/Force or Gunner/Techer would be a good option.

I like the look of Twin Machineguns a lot and I personally think they look very fun to play, however I also love always being able to heal myself and I'm quite fond of Magic Techniques in general.

The problem with this is coming back all I had was 26 Force, 16 Hunter and 5 Ranger. This was when 30 was the level cap however. I now have my Force to 31 and my Ranger is 13 or 14 I believe.

I'm leveling using Ranger/Force and I'm enjoying having the utility of spells while using an Assault Rifle but it seems really slow to level. Is there any way I can speed up the process? As I'm still yet to get Ranger to 30 and then I have to level Gunner after that.

tl;dr: I'm wondering if Gunner/Force or Gunner/Techer is a good idea and how can I level my 14 Ranger to 30 and then level my Gunner quickly.

Vintasticvin
Apr 2, 2013, 10:35 AM
Le gasp a Vincent Valentine (gun mage) in the works.Right on and good luck!

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 10:40 AM
Le gasp a Vincent Valentine (gun mage) in the works.Right on and good luck!

Thanks! Any tips on leveling quickly? At the moment I'm just running dungeons doing various COs but even so that seems slow. :3

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 10:49 AM
Gunner/anything but ranger will be pretty underpowered. by subbing ranger you not only get a 56% damage bonus when hitting weak points, but you get access to weak bullet which gives everyone in the group a 3x damage bonus when attacking the marked area. You'll also lose out on stats that will help you to equip other new gear if you sub force.

if you'd like some semblance of self healing, take automate deadline on gunner and sub ranger.

When deadline is maxed, your character will automatically use the lowest level mate you have the instant your hp drops below 25% and there's no animation involved, you just heal. just dont carry monomates and you'll be fine. This can actually save you from dying quite a bit

Subbing Fo or Te for resta will actually result in a very weak resta since your base T Atk will be low. You'll have to stand there for all 4 pulses to be fully healed if you're low on HP.

That said I don't recommend such a build for anything other than wanting to relive your days as a guntecher or Ramarl. Even then I wouldn't do it all the time.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 10:53 AM
Gunner/anything but ranger will be pretty underpowered. by subbing ranger you not only get a 56% damage bonus when hitting weak points, but you get access to weak bullet which gives everyone in the group a 3x damage bonus when attacking the marked area. You'll also lose out on stats that will help you to equip other new gear if you sub force.

if you'd like some semblance of self healing, take automate deadline on gunner and sub ranger.

When deadline is maxed, your character will automatically use the lowest level mate you have the instant your hp drops below 25% and there's no animation involved, you just heal. just dont carry monomates and you'll be fine. This can actually save you from dying quite a bit

Subbing Fo or Te for resta will actually result in a very weak resta since your base T Atk will be low. You'll have to stand there for all 4 pulses to be fully healed if you're low on HP.

That said I don't recommend such a build for anything other than wanting to relive your days as a guntecher or Ramarl. Even then I wouldn't do it all the time.

Well in PSU I was a whip using Acrotecher, so I've always loved just having supportive spells/healing while having capable offensive ability. I just think the Twin Machineguns look really fun. I wasn't only thinking of subbing Force or Techer just for the heal either, I like using the offensive spells as well as the guns to mix and match how I can attack things.

And going Gunner/Ranger would I need to buy the universal rifle to use Weak Shot?

Is there anything I could main which would be good for subbing Force/Techer?

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 11:03 AM
Gunners can use rifles natively, so you don't need a universal rifle. The only weapon you'd be missing out on as Gu/Ra would be Launcher.

The issue with trying to use offensive techs is gunner's T Atk is low so damage would suffer heavily. you'd need a universal talis or rod to help up the damage which would still be meager. TMGs are indeed fun, but you'd be spreading yourself a bit thin by doing it.

The best hybrid for casting techs but not focusing on it is Fi/Fo but you'd still need an umblla stick to do respectable damage when casting. Without that, you'd basically be using techs just to stick SEs to get your chase advance bonus.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 11:12 AM
Gunners can use rifles natively, so you don't need a universal rifle. The only weapon you'd be missing out on as Gu/Ra would be Launcher.

The issue with trying to use offensive techs is gunner's T Atk is low so damage would suffer heavily. you'd need a universal talis or rod to help up the damage which would still be meager. TMGs are indeed fun, but you'd be spreading yourself a bit thin by doing it.

The best hybrid for casting techs but not focusing on it is Fi/Fo but you'd still need an umblla stick to do respectable damage when casting. Without that, you'd basically be using techs just to stick SEs to get your chase advance bonus.

Okay then. I'll just aim for Gunner/Ranger probably, while just having Force/Techer on the side if I feel like playing it. Thanks for your help, any tips on leveling other than just completing COs like I have been? I understand that bringing multiple NPCs/Other Players increases EXP gain.

Dextro
Apr 2, 2013, 11:13 AM
Well you need RA at 30 anyway in order to get GU, and that's enough skill pts for RA to max both weak hit advances plus weak bullet lv6 for 3charges of it.
If anything, just play your guntecher when you want to have fun and switch to /RA when you need to get something done efficiently. You don't -really- need RA to be higher than 30, but make it a side project for the future. Or you can do it the other way around I guess.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 11:16 AM
Well you need RA at 30 anyway in order to get GU, and that's enough skill pts for RA to max both weak hit advances plus weak bullet lv6 for 3charges of it.
If anything, just play your guntecher when you want to have fun and switch to /RA when you need to get something done efficiently. You don't -really- need RA to be higher than 30, but make it a side project for the future.

That's what I was thinking, although I only planned to get Weak Bullet to 3 for 2 shots, would spending an extra 3 points to have 3 shots be more beneficial?

Kondibon
Apr 2, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'd like to add that I've played Gunner with force/techer and while it's sub optimal it's not undoable. I really can't stress enough how useful and fun control techs can be even on a class with crappy T-atk.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 11:19 AM
I'd like to add that I've played Gunner with force/techer and while it's sub optimal it's not undoable. I really can't stress enough how useful and fun control techs can be even on a class with crappy T-atk.

Yeah, I do find it very entertaining and as stated I'll probably just play Gunner/Force or Gunner/Techer when I want to have fun more so then do something quick and efficiently.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 11:22 AM
That's what I was thinking, although I only planned to get Weak Bullet to 3 for 2 shots, would spending an extra 3 points to have 3 shots be more beneficial?

I really swear by having all 4 myself. 3-4 is good for longer fights like dark falz or fights where enemies have a lot of breakable parts like fangs and ragne. dont forget you can also miss with wb so every extra shot helps

When you do decide to sub Fo or Te, I'd strongly suggest you get your hands on a green duel gaze

Vintasticvin
Apr 2, 2013, 11:58 AM
The only advice I can offer is like what others would say. Do your client orders, EQs but most importantly make it fun by having others with you even if its npc friends but leave a slot open xD never know when you will meet someone new and valuable to you :p This is what I always liked about pso/psu you can literally play how ever you like and not be entangled by skill/talent trees (which i dont bother with and suck on them applez blizz)

BlankM
Apr 2, 2013, 12:00 PM
I was just going to suggest green duel gaze. Unlike Fi/Fo you should have the dex to equip it.

I personally think ranger/force would be interesting as they're getting that new passive PP bonus from enemies that get killed around you. Which would probably be nice for a Force whos nuking mobs. Also more weak bullet in a party is pretty much never a bad thing. If you want a magic gunslinger you would still be useful here while having some synergy between classes.

Gunner doesn't bring much to a force as of now. Does aerial advance even effect techs like Razan?

Edit: Also buy exp boosters. They cheap. Do tacos and you can be well-equipped early along with exp boosters. Once the April 10th update hits, go off and fight monsters 10-15 levels above you while doing CO's and you should level pretty fast.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:01 PM
I really swear by having all 4 myself. 3-4 is good for longer fights like dark falz or fights where enemies have a lot of breakable parts like fangs and ragne. dont forget you can also miss with wb so every extra shot helps

When you do decide to sub Fo or Te, I'd strongly suggest you get your hands on a green duel gaze

Is there really much point in hitting all the seperate breakable parts though? Because then you only have 15 seconds on each one and you can't focus all three points at once. :3

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:03 PM
I was just going to suggest green duel gaze. Unlike Fi/Fo you should have the dex to equip it.

I personally think ranger/force would be interesting as they're getting that new passive PP bonus from enemies that get killed around you. Which would probably be nice for a Force whos nuking mobs. Also more weak bullet in a party is pretty much never a bad thing. If you want a magic gunslinger you would still be useful here while having some synergy between classes.

Gunner doesn't bring much to a force as of now. Does aerial advance even effect techs like Razan?

Edit: Also buy exp boosters. They cheap. Do tacos and you can be well-equipped early along with exp boosters. Once the April 10th update hits, go off and fight monsters 10-15 levels above you while doing CO's and you should level pretty fast.

I heard about that update, and what are Taco's? o.O

BlankM
Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 PM
Time attack client orders. Once you unlock time attacks, start doing them and you should unlock client orders from Klotho. You can do all 4 of them once a day. All the normals giving you 30-35k, hard 60-65, and VH 100k. Adds up to around 700-800k meseta a day if you have a group to do them with.

If not just doing the normal ones yourself should fund you through til you get to high levels. So long as you don't splurge on costumes or something.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:17 PM
Time attack client orders. Once you unlock time attacks, start doing them and you should unlock client orders from Klotho. You can do all 4 of them once a day. All the normals giving you 30-35k, hard 60-65, and VH 100k. Adds up to around 700-800k meseta a day if you have a group to do them with.

If not just doing the normal ones yourself should fund you through til you get to high levels. So long as you don't splurge on costumes or something.

I already have the costume I want. :P And thanks. I'll look into them.

Thanks for your help everybody. c:

Ryock
Apr 2, 2013, 12:21 PM
I think Gunner/Force or techer would actually be a lot of fun. I play a hybrid class myself(Fighter/Force) and it's a lot of fun. I keep with everyone just fine, and even surprise quite a few people. The only thing I guess you'd be losing out on are the stances, which can make a considerable difference in damage. If you had an all class rod/talis like the umblla stick or either of the duel disk variants, your clearing ability will be respectable at best. Don't expect to keep up with mained forces, but your damage will be good enough.

It's really up to you what you deem as good or bad. Some people see that if you aren't able to one shot most anything save for the bigger stuff, then you're bad. In the end though, it's just a pve game, and time attacks were the only things that inspired people to make optimal builds. With time attacks being so easy nowadays, it's not a big deal.

One thing that makes Gunner/Force(or techer) really fun to play though is Zondeel. Turns all your normally narrow and single targeted moves into aoe basically. Bullet Squall comes to mind for example(that's the one where you jump into the air Dante style and rain bullets below yourself). Zondeel a group of enemies, Bullet Squall, odds are the entire group of enemies will die. If you sub Force, your tech damage will be respectable at best.

Curious though, what race are you? If you're a female newman, your techs will be still be pretty decent. Playing around with the skill simulator, you can get your tech attack to be close to your ranged attack. You'd have to throw about 30-50 points of tech into your mag to be able to use the best all class tech casting rod though, which really wouldn't be a problem. A good rule of thumb, is if your tech is over 1500, your damage is decent. With 50 points of tech in a mag, and the best casting rod, you should be able to go over 1500 with a drink.

The techs in this case would mostly be used for clearing mobs where your guns cannot reach. Like Rafoie, card tossing Zondeel detonation, Grants, Zonde, etc. Monsters nearby would be better dismissed through Zondeel and Bullet Squall. In the end, bosses are dismissed through your guns, since they bring a lot more damage to the table than your techs generally do.

I'll hit this very loosely, as I don't really bother with Techer a lot, but it has potential. Gunner and Techer both get a passive PP restoring skill. So the two coupled together can be pretty amazing. You never run out of PP this way theoretically. You also have the option to get PP Convert to insure you never stop firing. You can also get Deband Cut to reduce how much damage you take, but it's something I wouldn't consider too much since Gunners are really hard to hit anyways.

A bit of warning if you go this route. Both your Ranged attack and tech attack will never be as high as the pure classes, and will never do as much damage. Both your techs and your ranged attacks will be above average at best. You will be a jack of all trades, a user of utility. If you're okay with this, I'd say do it. It's a very fun way to play. If you're obsessed with numbers though, it'd be better for you to go pure Gunner/Ranger.

That's all I have to say =). I'm obsessed with hybrids, so I hope my information helped ya out a bit.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
I think Gunner/Force or techer would actually be a lot of fun. I play a hybrid class myself(Fighter/Force) and it's a lot of fun. I keep with everyone just fine, and even surprise quite a few people. The only thing I guess you'd be losing out on are the stances, which can make a considerable difference in damage. If you had an all class rod/talis like the umblla stick or either of the duel disk variants, your clearing ability will be respectable at best. Don't expect to keep up with mained forces, but your damage will be good enough.

It's really up to you what you deem as good or bad. Some people see that if you aren't able to one shot most anything save for the bigger stuff, then you're bad. In the end though, it's just a pve game, and time attacks were the only things that inspired people to make optimal builds. With time attacks being so easy nowadays, it's not a big deal.

One thing that makes Gunner/Force(or techer) really fun to play though is Zondeel. Turns all your normally narrow and single targeted moves into aoe basically. Bullet Squall comes to mind for example(that's the one where you jump into the air Dante style and rain bullets below yourself). Zondeel a group of enemies, Bullet Squall, odds are the entire group of enemies will die. If you sub Force, your tech damage will be respectable at best.

Curious though, what race are you? If you're a female newman, your techs will be still be pretty decent. Playing around with the skill simulator, you can get your tech attack to be close to your ranged attack. You'd have to throw about 30-50 points of tech into your mag to be able to use the best all class tech casting rod though, which really wouldn't be a problem. A good rule of thumb, is if your tech is over 1500, your damage is decent. With 50 points of tech in a mag, and the best casting rod, you should be able to go over 1500 with a drink.

The techs in this case would mostly be used for clearing mobs where your guns cannot reach. Like Rafoie, card tossing Zondeel detonation, Grants, Zonde, etc. Monsters nearby would be better dismissed through Zondeel and Bullet Squall. In the end, bosses are dismissed through your guns, since they bring a lot more damage to the table than your techs generally do.

I'll hit this very loosely, as I don't really bother with Techer a lot, but it has potential. Gunner and Techer both get a passive PP restoring skill. So the two coupled together can be pretty amazing. You never run out of PP this way theoretically. You also have the option to get PP Convert to insure you never stop firing. You can also get Deband Cut to reduce how much damage you take, but it's something I wouldn't consider too much since Gunners are really hard to hit anyways.

A bit of warning if you go this route. Both your Ranged attack and tech attack will never be as high as the pure classes, and will never do as much damage. Both your techs and your ranged attacks will be above average at best. You will be a jack of all trades, a user of utility. If you're okay with this, I'd say do it. It's a very fun way to play. If you're obsessed with numbers though, it'd be better for you to go pure Gunner/Ranger.

That's all I have to say =). I'm obsessed with hybrids, so I hope my information helped ya out a bit.

Hey, thanks for the input! Currently my Mag is level 140 with 87 Technique and 53 Dexterity. I'm not sure if that's any good but I was going for pure Force when I played back at first release because there was only 3 classes then so I was just feeding it Staffs and Talises.

And yes, I am a Female Newman, as I was going pure Force. :P

I generally play the game for fun and not for being extremely high-end and hitting the max damage possible. I also understand what you mean about getting Deband Cut and Gunners being evasive as I hardly get hit on my Ranger as is. xD

The thing about both classes having PP Regeneration sounds really good actually and would be hilarious to theoretically never run out of PP.

Also, more on buying Experience Boosts, they only last for 30 minutes. Could I really warrant spending money on the +75% ones constantly with the money I get from 'TACOs' as it was put?

Ryock
Apr 2, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hey, thanks for the input! Currently my Mag is level 140 with 87 Technique and 53 Dexterity. I'm not sure if that's any good but I was going for pure Force when I played back at first release because there was only 3 classes then so I was just feeding it Staffs and Talises.

I generally play the game for fun and not for being extremely high-end and hitting the max damage possible. I also understand what you mean about getting Deband Cut and Gunners being evasive as I hardly get hit on my Ranger as is. xD

The thing about both classes having PP Regeneration sounds really good actually and would be hilarious to theoretically never run out of PP.

Also, more on buying Experience Boosts, they only last for 30 minutes. Could I really warrant spending money on the +75% ones constantly with the money I get from 'TACOs' as it was put?

Hahaha, what a coincidence! I was going pure force at first when I made my character too, so mine's at 80 tech and 70 dex. I got by just fine, you will too =)

You could warrant it I suppose. It's really up to you how fast you wanna level. If you don't mind taking your time, don't bother. You could just save the money for higher end gear later. Once you get down to doing hard and very hard TAs, you could start spending your money on the +75% ones if you like. Or you could run solo party areas or advance quests for chances at finding clones and farming spheres to buy them yourself.

BlankM
Apr 2, 2013, 12:50 PM

One normal TACO gets you enough for about three 50%'s or one 75%. I personally go for the three 50%'s and just have them on almost constantly. Meanwhile I save up a few 75% ones for Falz and the like. Until you need to spend meseta on end-game stuff, you will have more then enough meseta on your hands from doing them. And once you get to VH you'll be making more money anyways.

Edit: Also make sure you get into good blocks that're full of people during EQ's. 201-203 for normal usually and 206/207 for hard. They don't fill up that fast, look at the title of the blocks and if they have one that matches your difficulty and has a lot of people then its probably good for EQ'ing.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 01:48 PM
Is there really much point in hitting all the seperate breakable parts though? Because then you only have 15 seconds on each one and you can't focus all three points at once. :3

so you mean to tell me you've never used WB, never seen it used and don't know what cooldown is.

Ok let me explain. as soon as you activate WB you get a set number of shots. they are single shots not bursts like a normal AR shot. you cannot use normal bursts shots while WB is active. once you use your shots up you can't use WB again until it "cools down". This means there's a period of time where the skill is deactivated and you have to wait. the more shots you have you the more uses you get before you have to wait and at the same time the shorter that wait period becomes.

you absolutely want to break parts on bosses. many of them have drops that you can only get by breaking parts. Other bosses become much easier to handle when parts are broken, so it's important to be able to do that quickly.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for not answering this before me.

UnLucky
Apr 2, 2013, 01:52 PM
Well, Ranger has a lot stronger shooting attacks, and Force has much stronger techs and better PP regen for tech casting than Techer, and no gun/tech combo compliments the other so you're basically just either class on its own at any one time.

As SocialT-Rex mentioned, Ranger has way more damage modifiers than Gunner, and Weak Bullet is way better than Chain Trigger if you're in a group. And you can have four shots of it. They don't get good twin mechs, though. And neither Ranger nor Gunner improve tech damage.

Force has more tech damage modifiers than Techer, and faster flame and cheaper bolt techs. They also get passive PP regen while charging technics, which Techer doesn't get. Neither one will let you regen PP while using gun PAs, so even with Techer's PP Restorate and PP Convert, you won't get any PP at all if you use several artes back to back. I'd only recommend a Techer hybrid if you go Ra/Te since you can't use normal attacks to regain PP while WB is loaded, so you have to wait around for your passive regen anyway.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 01:54 PM
so you mean to tell me you've never used WB, never seen it used and don't know what cooldown is.

Ok let me explain. as soon as you activate WB you get a set number of shots. they are single shots not bursts like a normal AR shot. you cannot use normal bursts shots while WB is active. once you use your shots up you can't use WB again until it "cools down". This means there's a period of time where the skill is deactivated and you have to wait. the more shots you have you the more uses you get before you have to wait and at the same time the shorter that wait period becomes.

you absolutely want to break parts on bosses. many of them have drops that you can only get by breaking parts. Other bosses become much easier to handle when parts are broken, so it's important to be able to do that quickly.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for not answering this before me.

I think you completely misunderstood what I said. I have used Weak Bullet, as I've stated I have it at 3 currently.

What I said was is there much point in shooting a separate bullet at each part so for example.

Use WB.
Shoot at Vol Dragons' Tail, and his two horns.

That's what it sounded like you were saying at first, which would've meant that all 3 breakable parts were weakened at the same time, meaning that you only had 15 seconds counting down on all 3 parts simultaneously.

What you meant though is it's better to have 3 shots so that you can have a longer duration on one part.

UnLucky
Apr 2, 2013, 01:58 PM
As soon as you use the skill, you get a bullet counter. This is reduced by 1 every time you shoot normally (but not if you use a PA). The skill goes on cooldown immediately after you use the skill, not after you shoot your last bullet. Because of this, you can "preload" to get up to 8 WBs in a row.

I believe the effect lasts 30s starting the moment it is applied.

If the same enemy is struck by another WB, whether it be from the Ranger who shot the first one or not, the first is replaced by the second, regardless of how long it had been there.

So no, you can't mark every single breakable part at once.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 02:08 PM
I think you completely misunderstood what I said. I have used Weak Bullet, as I've stated I have it at 3 currently.

What I said was is there much point in shooting a separate bullet at each part so for example.

Use WB.
Shoot at Vol Dragons' Tail, and his two horns.

That's what it sounded like you were saying at first, which would've meant that all 3 breakable parts were weakened at the same time, meaning that you only had 15 seconds counting down on all 3 parts simultaneously.

What you meant though is it's better to have 3 shots so that you can have a longer duration on one part.

wrong. a good team...or even a good teammate should be able to break that part before the first shot expires.

But lets say fang bather who has 4 legs their head piece and their rear piece. That's 6 in total. if you max WB you can at least take out the 4 legs with one WB use. on the next one he's easily dead. if you have 3 you still don't get the leg.

Same can be said for ragne. take out all 4 legs and she topples. a wb on her weak spot in that downed state is lights out.

Vol dragon you can break his tail and his horns and still have one left for his head.

Quartz dragon you can break all 4 parts in one WB instead of waiting to take out 1 last part. The next WB can be just for the nose to finish. OR you can break both wings and the nose and forget the tail and still have 1 left for the exposed nose.

Aside from that the cooldown shortens with every point you put in. you don't have to use ALL your shots necessarily but I oftentimes find myself using all 4 on bosses. In fact if I know I'll be fighting a boss like ragne soon, I cue up my WB early to start to cool down right away. Then once we crack one leg, I WB that and end up having 7 shots for the legs and one for her back. combine that with CT and she doesn't even get a chance to fight.

As soon as you use the skill, you get a bullet counter. This is reduced by 1 every time you shoot normally (but not if you use a PA). The skill goes on cooldown immediately after you use the skill, not after you shoot your last bullet. Because of this, you can "preload" to get up to 8 WBs in a row.

I believe the effect lasts 30s starting the moment it is applied.

If the same enemy is struck by another WB, whether it be from the Ranger who shot the first one or not, the first is replaced by the second, regardless of how long it had been there.

So no, you can't mark every single breakable part at once.

Each WB lasts 15 seconds.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 02:33 PM
wrong. a good team...or even a good teammate should be able to break that part before the first shot expires.

But lets say fang bather who has 4 legs their head piece and their rear piece. That's 6 in total. if you max WB you can at least take out the 4 legs with one WB use. on the next one he's easily dead. if you have 3 you still don't get the leg.

Same can be said for ragne. take out all 4 legs and she topples. a wb on her weak spot in that downed state is lights out.

Vol dragon you can break his tail and his horns and still have one left for his head.

Quartz dragon you can break all 4 parts in one WB instead of waiting to take out 1 last part. The next WB can be just for the nose to finish. OR you can break both wings and the nose and forget the tail and still have 1 left for the exposed nose.

Aside from that the cooldown shortens with every point you put in. you don't have to use ALL your shots necessarily but I oftentimes find myself using all 4 on bosses. In fact if I know I'll be fighting a boss like ragne soon, I cue up my WB early to start to cool down right away. Then once we crack one leg, I WB that and end up having 7 shots for the legs and one for her back. combine that with CT and she doesn't even get a chance to fight.

Each WB lasts 15 seconds.

So when you have WBs stocked do you just run around using PAs instead of attacking?

Ryock
Apr 2, 2013, 02:43 PM
So when you have WBs stocked do you just run around using PAs instead of attacking?

Essentially, yes. Since a standard attack will cause the weak bullet to get fired again. So a lot of rangers will just wait around and use PAs.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 03:00 PM

Thats right. WB really shines when you have teammates since they benefit from those shots as well. imagine everyone you're playing with doing 3x damage.

What unlucky was saying before was that if you couple techer with ranger (Ra/Te) you can regen PP faster so you can use more PAs when WB is active. if you use PP convert you can regen PP really fast, but you can't even use PAs while your PP regens or it will stop cold til you leave your attacking state. this really lowers your damage potential outside of using WB though since techer does nothing for bullet damage.

Regardless, Gu/Ra kills bosses faster than any other class and is likely to be even more deadly after next week's update.

Idolon
Apr 2, 2013, 03:26 PM

Yes, actually. After the first hit launches the enemy into the air, the rest of the hits do get affected by aerial advance.

Personally, I think the greatest thing about playing gu/fo or gu/te is zondeel + bullet squall. Doing that on large spawns results in a nice wall of numbers.

RawrMeCookie
Apr 2, 2013, 03:31 PM
Yes, actually. After the first hit launches the enemy into the air, the rest of the hits do get affected by aerial advance.

Personally, I think the greatest thing about playing gu/fo or gu/te is zondeel + bullet squall. Doing that on large spawns results in a nice wall of numbers.

When you say Zondeel + Bullet Squall do you mean using Zondeel, then a lightning spell to trigger it and then Bullet Squall, or does Bullet Squall trigger it?

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 03:39 PM

Aerial advance only affects R atk based attacks.

Same with ZRA

When you say Zondeel + Bullet Squall do you mean using Zondeel, then a lightning spell to trigger it and then Bullet Squall, or does Bullet Squall trigger it?

Zondeel draws enemies in until a lightning tech sets it off. if you don't activate it, they're just pulled right into the center making attacks like bullet squall and even the double saber's kamaitachi potent combinations with it.

I wouldn't say this is a good reason to sub techer though. it's fun to do but GS + Additional bullet is way more effective for AoE.

Bellion
Apr 2, 2013, 05:38 PM
Aerial Advance actually affects striking and techs as well. Still wouldn't bother getting it, though.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 06:28 PM
Does it really? I agree it's still not worth getting but that's interesting seeing as how almost every other skill gunner and ranger have only affect ranged damage.

Bellion
Apr 2, 2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it does affect it, you can actually see a slight difference in damage when using a charged Rising Edge. The JP description also doesn't have a limiting attack or attack type exclusion.

I can sort of see why Weak Hit Advance and Standing Snipe is limited to the Ranged weapons. Can't do headshots(They actually count as a weakpoint, just found this out recently, but I did more damage to the head of a Gwanada [x1.8 headshot damage] when GU first came out rather than the actual weakpoint[x2 damage modifier]...not anymore, though.) without ranged weapons.

Standing Snipe...You're not going to snipe with technics or Sonic Arrow. >_>

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 07:41 PM
lol that's just an issue with misnomers. regardless sero range advance doesn't help techs or melee either. =(

ShinMaruku
Apr 2, 2013, 08:07 PM
See this is why things bust be tested as well as susing sims. You miss out on little things like that.
I kept my zero range advance at zero because I'm points starved >_>

UnLucky
Apr 2, 2013, 08:50 PM
You should also be careful saying "R-Atk based attacks" interchangeably with "Shooting" or "Ranged" attacks.

At least in the case of Wand Gear, since that's T-Atk based Strike damage. It may be the only instance where the damage type is different from the stat it draws on, but that could change with new weapons and skills.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 2, 2013, 10:19 PM
yeah I just don't want people thinking that ranged means anything from a distance.

a lot of people think talises and techs are ranged attacks.