PDA

View Full Version : Tips I've found to make your computer run faster.

2Xtreme
Apr 2, 2003, 08:51 PM
I have been messing around with my computer a lot lately and have researched different ways to get your computer to run faster. Here are the easiest and most effective ways I've found to speed up your Windows 95/98 PC a bit:

1) Boost your RAM cache.
Click Start, then Run, and type sysedit. Open the system.ini file and search for something that says [vcache]. Under [vcache] it should say MaxFileCache. If it doesn't, type it in. Now, minimize this for a second and go to Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Information. Check to see how much RAM you have. Once you have found this, go back to the system.ini file. If you have 64 MB of RAM, set MaxFileCache to 8192. It should now say MaxFileCache=8192. If you have 128 MB of RAM, set it to 16384. If you have 192 MB or more, set it to 24576. Now click File --> Save.

NOTE: If you have a Compaq Pressario or a HP Pavillion, your RAM won't say 64, 128 or 192. It will probably say 60, 124 or 188. This is because you have 4 MB of onboard video. Just add 4 to find out what your real RAM is.

2) Specify a Virtual Memory Value.
Windows computers have something called Virtual Memory. Basically, this is an area of your hard drive that is used as extra RAM. However, Windows uses this extra space more than it should, and constantly writes to your hard drive when it doesn't have to. This slows your computer down, because using the real RAM first is faster. You need to specify a value for your Virtual Memory. To do this, go to Start --> Settings --> Control Pannel --> System --> Performance. Select Let me specify my own virtual memory settings. Now, where it says Minimum, you need to input a number. Basically, you should almost double how much RAM you have. If you're a gamer, don't go quite that high. I have 188 MB of non-video RAM, so I set it to 250 to make it work best. Don't touch the setting for Maximum. Click OK and say yes to restarting your PC.

My last little tweak is just for gamers. I do not recommend you do this if you mostly use office or home programs like Photoshop and Microsoft Word. First, by pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete, close all the programs except Explorer and Systray. Now, go to Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Defragmenter. Select your hard drive from the list and click Settings. Uncheck Rearange my files so that programs open faster. This is because Defragmenter will put your texture and map files on a different part of the drive than your actual game programs. Have you ever heard your hard drive grind right before the game lags? This is likely because of this. Next, uncheck Check for errors. This feature really doesn't do much anyway. If you really want to check for errors, use ScanDisk or Norton Disk Doctor. Now click OK. Defragment the drive and restart your computer.

I hope these little tricks help you guys. Any more tricks? Questions or comments? Please reply.

EDIT: Well, this Topic has absolutely nothing to do with PSO tech support or problems, but sure, move it here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2Xtreme on 2003-04-02 18:21 ]</font>