PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a PSP...

RLbitClassica
Apr 19, 2013, 03:12 PM
So in about a month, I am going to a year-long vocational school in maryland and I need some entertainment while I'm there. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I'm thinking of getting a used PSP and a copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2(as well as a few other games).

I've never played PSU or any game classified in that universe. I've played original PSO and PSZ, which I like both very well. How does this game compare to those two games? And also, is PSP2 infinity available to US residents? I can't seem to find it in stores anywhere...

blace
Apr 19, 2013, 03:55 PM
PSPo2 borrows a few mechanics from PSZ, such as dodging and blocking. So something a bit familiar.

As for PSP2i, it's a Japan only release and as such needs to be imported.

Shambertin
Apr 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
If you don't mind importing infinity version it is well worth it. the extra content and new DLC missions Max attack infinity 1,2,3 and 4 and Gurhal heroes are so much fun solo or online.And if you go online with it you get free mission codes my favourite is the heavens mother mission code.i loved that about infinity it had PSzero mobs including all the finjer R, G + B also you can get alot of the mags from zero on infinity hagal and wyn for example they drop alot during the heavens mother mission [protector of heaven] anything else i can say umm don't think so o if you complete hard mode episode 2 on infinity you unlock pszero costumes [sarisa,kai,ogi,anna,reeve] :D hope this helped you decide to play infinity im currently playing it and it overshadows my other portable games XD

RLbitClassica
Apr 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm leaning towards buying it. Not so sure about infinity though. I'm not one for importing, nor can I understand the slightest bit of japanese.

EDIT: I really do like the PSZ shoutouts though. Makes it really difficult to decide XD

Shambertin
Apr 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
the weapon lord axiom [kai's gun blade] and all its variants are available in infinity version also and reeve's doublesaber

hohohoho

edit also look at my sig :P heavens mother room decoration from the title you get after you defeat one.

Aki_Yoruno
Apr 20, 2013, 09:51 AM
Check out DeviFoxx's guide and you'll be just fine with Infinity. It's basically PSP2i for dummies. Great resource!

RLbitClassica
Apr 20, 2013, 12:18 PM
Also, is PSP2 available for download? It seems that finding copies locally will be difficult.

blace
Apr 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
It was taken off of PSN years ago. It's only available to people that have bought it as download beforehand.

RLbitClassica
Apr 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, really? That's a real bummer. Used copies on ebay are going for like $40 to $50 :/ A little more than I'm willing to spend second hand.

Sinue_v2
Apr 21, 2013, 02:59 AM
So in about a month, I am going to a year-long vocational school in maryland and I need some entertainment while I'm there. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I'm thinking of getting a used PSP and a copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2(as well as a few other games).

I've never played PSU or any game classified in that universe. I've played original PSO and PSZ, which I like both very well. How does this game compare to those two games? And also, is PSP2 infinity available to US residents? I can't seem to find it in stores anywhere...

Well, right off the bad I wouldn't recommend getting a PSP if PSP2 is the only game. I can't recommend any console purchase for just one game. But... the PSP does have quite a nice catalog of titles, with enough quality titles that it should satisfy your criteria for a well made purchase. And if you're going to invest in one anyhow, then PSP2 is one of the better games you can buy for it. Don't overlook Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles II, MGS Peace Walker, Gods Eater Burst, or the other awesome titles.

So... as far as PSP2 goes, the best frame of reference I can give is that it's a cross between PSZero and PSU. I played PSO since the Dreamcast v.1 days, and I got PSU on the day it launched. Bought multiple copies for friends so they could play with me. Problem was... it was a horrible fucking game. Embarrased the shit out of me for even recommending it. Nearly everybody I knew quit within the first few months... and I only hung on for so long because, for better or worse, it was the only action oriented Sci-Fi RPG around. One of the things that always bugged me about PSU was that it has SUCH POTENTIAL to be a good game... but it was wasted.

PSP2, and especially PSP2i, fixes most of the major issues I had with PSU. Still not a big fan of the art design, or the generic 4Kids-ish Anime dross.... but it's gotten better... well, or at least diverse enough that I can carve out my own style. It's now more fast paced, actually challenging in some areas, allows for a great deal of customization, and is quite addictive. I'm actually starting to go on rare-hunts, spamming the same missions over and over again, like I used to do on PSO to find certain missing pieces from my register. Sange & Yasha is my current target. There's plenty of old PSO content as well, such as outfits, enemies, music, and weapons. The Dragon is back, as well as Del Rol Le.. in a sense. The Forest, Caves, Mines, and Ruins areas are all back, but they don't really feel like PSO areas. Olga Flow is back too, if you get Infinity, and he's as fun as ever to fight. It actually translated very well to the new PSU/PSP2 game mechanics.

You can dodge and block, just as you could in PSZero. Chains can now be created by one person, rather than needing a team, and are a central game element. Square button button (normal attacks, usually) build chains while Triangle (Photon Arts) breaks them for massive damage. Unlike PSZero, weapon Photon Arts are more like weapon techniques that raise in level. There are several for each weapon type and they can be switched out at any time, rather than being bound permanently to whatever the weapon had when it dropped. PP reserves are small, but regenerate fairly quickly, and can be replenished by timing your attacks. Unlike PSO & PSZero, you can spam the attacks as fast as the animation allows, but if you time them in a rythm like the previous games you can regen PP faster as well as preform guaranteed critical hits. Photon Arts follow the same rules, and don't need to be charged up like they did in PSZero.

Oh, and shields work differently too. In PSZero they were their own independent offensive weapon. In PSP2, they're an offhand weapon. Offhands (Crossbows, Handguns, Mags/TechMags, Machineguns, etc) are like sidearms you can use to switch quickly between ranged and melee attacks quickly by holding the R Trigger button to select which hand you want to use. (Some ranged weapons even have a limited first person mode for sniping weakspots on bosses and hitting out-of-reach environment triggers). Anyhow, Shields work by reducing the amount of damage you take from enemy attacks when you raise it. This great for Forces who can carry a wand in one hand for support, while maximizing their defense in a hostile area. Each time you're hit, it costs a little PP, but if you time it just right before you get struck - it costs zero PP and will reflect the damage done back at the enemies based on the shield's stats. One of Curtz's training missions in Infinity even requires you to finish a level with purely defensive use of the shield - no attacks allowed.

Like PSZero, you have a shared storage "bank" (holds like 2,000 items/stacks), but beyond that you also get your own room to decorate. It's nothing too elaborate... most all rooms have the same basic layout with a grid on the floor and walls in which you can place decorations you buy or find. It also has a Jukebox feature you can use to change the music to fit your theme.

Another important difference is that, while you can still take story NPC's into missions with you like you could on PSZero (and there's a lot more of them), in Infinity you can also bring in your alternate characters to run as NPCs. They don't gain experience, and won't use up your consumable items, but they're very handy to have around... especially if your new character is low level. Unlike NPCs who are leveled dynamically to your current level, your Alts retain their levels, armor, weapons, and all that. Their stats are adjusted a bit, it will allow you to boost low-level characters by letting them tag enemies and have your high-level mains finish them off. Further, if you go online with it, you can not only trade partner-cards with friends... but actually download their character data so that you can run with their characters even when offline. Though, again, this is only a feature in Infinity.

PSZ/PSO's Symbol Chat and the Facial Closeups of PSU are sadly gone, leaving only a crappy on-screen keyboard and a bunch of pre-recorded text setups to handle communication. You get a ton more lobby animations to play with though, for what it's worth. Online mode is free for both PSP2 and PSP2infinity, though it's not really much to speak of. Whereas PSZero would just throw you into a party, PSP2's online mode is different really only in that it lets you choose the party you want to join from a list. Though the game is pretty dead now, and (like PSO) full of cheaters. This is vastly improved in PSP2i because of the Little Wing License system which allows Sega to ban offenders. So it has far fewer cheaters... though not much of an english speaking community that's I've seen. It seems pretty dead as well, but I usually play at off hours for both JP and the US, so your experience may vary. Another cool thing is that Infinity has PSO-like lobbies in which to meet up and chat with people before joining a game.

Overall, while I hated PSU, I've become quite addicted to PSP2 & PSP2i, even though I spend most of my time playing solo. I don't think I could have stuck with PSO nearly as long as I have PSP2 if I had to run by lonesome... so that's saying something. I would HIGHLY recommend that you get Infinity and at least brush up on your basic Hiragana and Katakana. I'm used to the weapon and item names from playing the english PSU/PSP2 for so long, so it's easy for me to recognize certain menus, items, etc by knowing a few basic Japanese characters. Though the guides should really be all you need, you might have a much more difficult time figuring out what's what. If you can, get PSP2 used first, and see if you like it. If you do, then by the time you get anywhere near lvl 200 or start running out of rares to hunt, you should be familar enough with it to slide into Infinity easily.

Plus, DeviFoxx only translated the story for Ep II. If you wanna know what the hell is going on in Ep I or why you should care, you can get it from PSP2. Though the story isn't very good (PSZero's was better, even in it's simplicity), you still need to do it for each character to unlock areas, clothes, decorations, etc.

I know that's a bit long to read, but I hope it helps.

ShinMaruku
Apr 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
I am still pissed psp2 can't work on vita .

Bonjet
Apr 22, 2013, 08:41 AM
I played PSP2 and most of all, I still never tried ANY Phantasy Star games than PSP2.

Mike
Apr 22, 2013, 08:59 AM
I am still pissed psp2 can't work on vita .
It's a shame really. I'm also convinced it's a ploy to get more people to play PSO2.

ShinMaruku
Apr 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
Tempted to use a Custom firmware for psp2i...

Shambertin
Apr 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Tempted to use a Custom firmware for psp2i...

I use a cfw for PsP2:i i never used to play online much when i still had my psn copy of psp2 so i don't mind that an iso cannot get online, like i would find anyone my time zone that speaks english anyway haha.I tried psp2 online a few times but everyone had hacker parties with uber drops all the time, no fun what so ever... hacking for drops is missing the point of playing the game. i have lots of fun on multi mode solo, all the DLC missions rock MAI 4 and Gurhal heroes are my fave to grind in.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
I mean Vita cfw not psp.

Shambertin
Apr 25, 2013, 05:26 PM
lol ok.