PDA

View Full Version : Can someone make my character Ethan Waber in AoTI?

LevelSeven
Apr 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have the pc version of AoTI and I know there's a way to "hack" you character model to look like npcs and I wanted someone to make me and Ethan Waber one and upload the save file here. I've tried a few times before and it's just to hard for me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Rekku
Apr 23, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm afraid this is not the site to ask for hacks/mods of any kind, as posting links to them is very against the rules.

LevelSeven
Apr 23, 2013, 05:59 PM
But this can't hurt anyone at all. I don't get how that can be against the rules. There's no other site I can go to.

Rekku
Apr 23, 2013, 06:04 PM
Modifying games is going against the developers intent; it's cheating no matter how you slice it. This forum doesn't want to be associated with hosting such software, probably because they can potentially get in trouble because it's straight up illegal.

There's no way to change the rules, so your only choice is to consult another website that allows such discussion and file sharing, or find an already existing cheat (and no one here can tell you where to find any of this, all we can say is to Google it).

blace
Apr 23, 2013, 08:04 PM
The game may be considered dead, but asking for any kind of modding is against the general forum rules.

Rekku
Apr 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
^ What Blace said.

Doesn't matter how old the game is, or how many people play it. You can get in trouble for posting links to NES emus for all the rules care, it's still not allowed.

Midori Oku
Apr 23, 2013, 10:49 PM
Modifying games is going against the developers intent.

Not with all games. For example, Skyrim. The developers actually encourage mods, and such. They even made a mod creation kit for people to use.

LevelSeven
Apr 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
The game is dead I can almost guarantee you that you would not get into trouble for modifying the game data.

And to the topic at hand you can go to psumods.co.uk they may be able to help you.
(Note to mods: I am not intending to advertise the site and if you feel that I am please just delete the site name.)

Yeah, that's where I got the idea from. I've attempted it a few times and I just can't find out which bytes to edit and which to not.

Rekku
Apr 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
I do get your point about modding - many games allow it, but Phantasy Star doesn't, which is why my rule defenses were initially triggered. Notice how just about everywhere, there's something or someone reminding us that we can't post links to the English patch, which is like the most helpful thing for PSO2 players. Discussion is fine - but answering questions on where to get it must not be done.

If this was a forum for Skyrim or Minecraft, of course modding links/resources would be allowed, those games (especially the latter) thrive on it. But Phantasy Star is created as is, with with no dev intent to have the game changed by players. This particular franchise doesn't allow mods and therefore websites based on it shouldn't encourage such behavior.

blace
Apr 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
There's a reason for the rules in place. Sega in the past would promote this site and had a standing among other boards for not promoting cheating, modifying the client, or allowing such to be on these boards.

Only until recently have Sega not been so active with the exception of a Sega staffer perusing these boards every so often. Just not official business.

blace
Apr 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
I looked, the links all show things acceptable, with all of them lacking the direct modification of the client.

Games in general allow music and audio to be changed. The only thing not allowed thus far is directly modifying the actual content data, ie. character parameters.

Rekku
Apr 24, 2013, 01:46 PM
I think that's akin to deleting the chat censor in PSO2; you are just moving around files, not changing the data. Ethan's character model is not accessible anywhere in AoTI, where as certain music files are.

blace
Apr 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
The core files need to be replaced as the game cannot operate without the proper files. The work around is editing the text files within the core games files and overwriting existing data so that it can be recognized with the server.

Music is the exception as that data only affects the client and not the data sent and retrieved from the server.

blace
Apr 24, 2013, 02:08 PM
My opinion, but you don't have to be a part of this community if you don't like the rules. Simple as that.

gigawuts
Apr 24, 2013, 02:15 PM
is it client mods?

yes?

not allowed to be talked about on pso-world.com

why is that difficult to understand

Lostbob117
Apr 24, 2013, 02:47 PM
Well, to be fair. They only said no client mods for pso2 such as the "English Patch". There is no such thread/sticky on "no mods for psu" so you could say it's allowed, even if it was intended to not be allowed on here. However it is probably not allowed to be linked on here. But really who cares if anyone links mods here for psu, it's a dead game.

gigawuts
Apr 24, 2013, 10:15 PM
Did you miss the part where there is a stickied thread that promotes the modification client files in PSU? I can see how you got your post count.

Then maybe report the post and see what the actual moderators have to say about modifying PSU instead of arguing with people who are just repeating what the moderators regularly say.

That attempt at an insult is cute, by the way.

Tyreek
Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
I don't mean to jump into this conversation, but I remember long ago that someone brought that thread to Sega's attention, to everyone's shock long ago. They seem to have ok'd it back then. The same was brought about regarding the actual voice files using the JP files years ago as well. And I recall Ruby was alluding to that as well. It was also on the Sega forums by Arika. That seemed to have been the only point of exception.

As for the rules on hacks and mods, I support blace's explanation as well. Sega has been in support of this site in the past, and I doubt they'd be pleased knowing the forum is flowing about with hacks and cheats mods about their said games. I know there's slippery slopes here and there, but the statement has put there as forum law. Its up to the discretion of the mods. No need to keep dragging on about it.