PDA

View Full Version : Working on new plausible item drop theory!!!

havocdragon
Apr 3, 2003, 10:28 PM
Hello all!! I have devised a new plausible rare item droping theory. Yes I know the theory that the higher level you are the more drops you get (which is partly true) and the beat times (which is also true) however it recently occured to me that EVERYTHING in the game is based on a level requirement of some sort. Armor requires you to be a certain level to wear it, crafted items require you to be a certain level to craft them, online requires you to be a certain level to get to a higher difficulty and even the stores require you to be a higher level to buy certain items. So my theory is that you must be a certain level for the particular high items to drop. Ive noticed in the ultimate forest while doing the soul of blacksmith quests that the tollaws never drop rares ( im 140th and have been doing it for 20 levels and have seen numerous hildators, pal rappies and multiple rares) also i have yet to find a god level unit. So heres what i need you all to post =). Post your non crafted really rare rares and god level units and at what level you found them. Thanks!!! and im not trying to disprove my theory here or needing others greifs just post the stuff =)

havocdragon
Apr 3, 2003, 10:31 PM
and to get things rollin

i found a star amplifier at 135th
and a magic rock 'moola' at 130th

im a pinkal fonewm 140th

I know those arent super rares but not to common none the less

Ranger_Larry
Apr 3, 2003, 10:37 PM
I found a God HP in very hard caves 1st time through. I wasn't even close to level 100 lol. (50-65ish)

LamerPanda
Apr 3, 2003, 10:54 PM
Tollaws drop rares, but very... er, rarely. I got a red handgun from one at 106, so if you're 140 and still haven't found anything, I'm guessing whatever they drop for you has more stars.

*shrug* I don't know, though. Nice theory, I suppose. =D

VulpesMundi
Apr 3, 2003, 11:02 PM
I have two images to proove your theory false...

http://www.boomspeed.com/theetl/daena_v_mil_2.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/theetl/daena_v_mil_3.jpg

I took these pictures last week. Note that my character's level was 40 (41 after killing the Mil). Note that the Aura Field requires level 152 to equip. Pictures speak a thousand words.

Again, again, again, there is NO proven element to effect item drop rates. And until I see otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that there is nothing that exists to do so.

Igeryu
Apr 3, 2003, 11:06 PM
I've already been keeping records of my finds, along with which char, id, mode, location, enemy/box, and beat time, if i can remember, ill try to start also recording level, and come back here with my findings!

havocdragon
Apr 3, 2003, 11:10 PM
ok so obviously since rare monsters always seem to drop rares, whos found really good rares without a rare monster?

Guntz348
Apr 3, 2003, 11:12 PM
When I was piping for mil lillys to get that same aura field the first lilly dropped the armour for me. Took well over 100 pipes I know that much for the first one. After that it took four more lillys to get my second aura feild for a freind (he was piping for sanges'). I really think it's just random, or at least as close to random as a computer can get.

Zeebo
Apr 3, 2003, 11:13 PM
All theories came up with so far are incorrect face it its all random! nothing to it!

Relam
Apr 3, 2003, 11:33 PM
Hmmm, maybe your level combined with what mode you are playing on just changes the percentages of getting a rare. While you still get a slim chance of finding really awesome rares at any level, I think maybe the chances raise as you level.

VulpesMundi
Apr 4, 2003, 12:05 AM
On 2003-04-03 20:10, havocdragon wrote:
ok so obviously since rare monsters always seem to drop rares, whos found really good rares without a rare monster?

Very very VERY false. Rare critters do NOT always drop red boxes. Less than half of the 178 rare critters I've seen on E1&2 have dropped a special item. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't, but I assure you that level has nothing to do with it. I've gotten great stuff and junk with low level characters and equally great stuff and junk with high level characters. It's just random.

My rare critters finding list...
http://www.boomspeed.com/theetl/PSOE1n2_Rare_Critter_Finds.txt

gideonx
Apr 4, 2003, 01:31 AM
I agree with vulpes on this one. I've killed 3 AL rappys with no rares, and a love rappy with no rare.
but 5 out of 7 of the Nar lilies i've found dropped stuff. Still i will give you my opinion.

When a mob dies a random caluculation is made and the item either drops or it doesn't.

First it checks what item you get for your section ID. Then it says ok 12 star rare has --% chance and it rolls a die and it either drops or it doesn't.
Im sure it's much more complex than this, but not to the point where lvl or beat time matters at all.

I logged Beat time for the first 25 rares i found with my Bluefull and Pinkal, and no correlation what soever did I find. So there's my opinion http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Blue-Hawk
Apr 4, 2003, 02:11 AM
give it up, dragon. you have been disprooved both here and on gamefaqs.

Stalfos333
Apr 4, 2003, 02:25 AM
The only reason you're able to get better rares at high levels is because you can survive to kill better enemies. You're able to quest for tough items only once you can survive the enemies with enough proficiency to make the trek worthwhile.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 4, 2003, 07:15 AM
*shakes head once again*

Going once again to dictionary.com

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

It was a theory to start with.

SMACKTARD
Apr 4, 2003, 08:06 AM
so are you trying to show he used the word wrong or are you leaving that open to your imagination with your ambiguous post?

Mav
Apr 4, 2003, 11:31 AM
I have noticed that I have a significantly higher chance of finding rares when my internet time is 0030 to 0039. I have a level-54 Redria HuCast. Here is what I found in the past 2 days between these beat times.

GOD BODY - Vhard - Caves - Mil Lilly
Magic Rock Moola - Vhard - Caves - Poison Lilly
Double Saber - Vhard - Caves - Nano Dragon

I started recording the beat time when I noticed my lvl-120 Pinkal RaMar finding a bunch of really good items in spurts. For example - 2 scape dolls, multiple grinders, 1-2 mats and a rare. Within a 20 minute span, and then nothing for hours... He got FSOD and lost a bunch of good equipment so I got pissed and started the Redria Above. Pinkal ID sucks!

If I remember correctly I would find good items with the Pinkal around 9:00pm, I find good items with the Redria at I believe 8:30pm which equals 0030 internet time - all times EST.

Not sure if there is a formula or not, but seems like I can keep going on at certain times and keep getting rares. I will update this post with findings and internet time...

TeamPhalanx
Apr 4, 2003, 11:55 AM
I'm saying his idea is utter crap - Just like virtually every other "theory" I've seen (cept the one about how rare monster appear in packs).

They're not even theories - They are guesses. At best this can be called a hypothesis.

A theory is something that's like one step away from becoming a fact/law.

Mav
Apr 4, 2003, 01:45 PM
... It should be a hypothesis... note the WORKING ON part in the title! If you understand the difference between theory and hypothesis then you should know that a tested and proved hypothesis
may become a theory. Remember the Scientific Method?
Observe a Phenonema
Formulate a hypothesis to explain the phenonema
Use the hypothesis to make predictions
Test the predictions by experimenting and observing
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until your predictations are correct.

at that point it may become a theory... but it takes time, and it takes people working on it.