PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else going to try Final Fantasy XIV: ARR in the meantime?

kornkid212
May 4, 2013, 01:56 PM
Since Sega doesnt seem to give a damn about us outside Japan, I guess im going for it

Shadowth117
May 4, 2013, 02:04 PM
Since Sega doesnt seem to give a damn about us outside Japan, I guess im going for it

And this is a great example of why SOA sucks. Lets all clap for SEGA for losing a customer.

darkstar1122
May 4, 2013, 02:09 PM
Yep, I was all for this game until I saw how little they cared about the western market again. PSU all over again. Going to A Realm Reborn, loving the beta so far.

RedRaz0r
May 4, 2013, 02:29 PM
Nah imma just keep playing hard on JP like I have been, and like I'll continue to do after the NA version is released.

~Aya~
May 4, 2013, 02:47 PM
Ill play both 8D... totally free on US though~

I played some ffxi and it is imo the best.. im terrible at action rpg

Cagedtaytay
May 4, 2013, 03:20 PM
Yes.
Well.
If I had the money, I would.

Gardios
May 4, 2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think my computer could handle it anyway. :V Besides, I got my plate full with PSO2, RO2 and GW2...

gravityvx
May 4, 2013, 03:38 PM
Look on the bright side, at least it's not nexon.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2013, 03:42 PM
Depends on what your poking at.

ShinMaruku
May 4, 2013, 04:16 PM
SOJ is shit just like how ARR will be shit. It's a hotkey mmo run by Square, fuck no. I'd rather play neverwinter

lostinseganet
May 4, 2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think this fits "pso 2 general"...

Sir Green Aluminum
May 4, 2013, 06:17 PM
I think it kind of does. It fits the general despair of the people who want the game in English and therefore need to deal with Sega of America. I'm getting close to the rage/riot/spam Sega of Japan social media phase.

By the way, to OP FFXIV the original was bad. A realm reborn is still bad. They were too lazy to actually change the combat from turn based smacking to something else. The graphics are very nice though. I'd beta it before actually buying it. Ironically, the one thing Square Enix did right was have US servers with JP servers. We always got updates in a timely manner and the head guy's posts are translated within a few days.

Gardios
May 4, 2013, 06:37 PM
By the way, to OP FFXIV the original was bad. A realm reborn is still bad. They were too lazy to actually change the combat from turn based smacking to something else.

Considering the battle system of the other main game FFs, I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise for FF14. =|

Aeris
May 4, 2013, 06:41 PM
Although i can play it on this old laptop but i rather play it on a better computer instead and i can't afford no monthly sub atm since i am not working currently.

jooozek
May 4, 2013, 06:52 PM
SOJ is shit just like how ARR will be shit. It's a hotkey mmo run by Square, fuck no. I'd rather play neverwinter

neverwinter is kinda ok since it has exploration, puzzles and user created content
combat system tho..

Zalana
May 4, 2013, 09:20 PM
yeah ffxi sucks guys don't ever play it! D: still has more people on it's servers than pso2 :o ARR is looking really nice so it shouldn't be as bad as it started off.

ShinMaruku
May 4, 2013, 09:58 PM
neverwinter is kinda ok since it has exploration, puzzles and user created content
combat system tho..

It's servicable. But really I'd rather play janky neverwinter than a hotkey MMO.

Alisha
May 4, 2013, 11:16 PM
im in the beta and i love it. arr does co's right.

ShinMaruku
May 5, 2013, 01:09 AM
A inbred monkey can do co's better than Sega.

MetalDude
May 5, 2013, 01:13 AM
This is true. For one, we would have exp rewards that actually fit with the higher requirements...

Xie's christmas orders were amazing. Why the fuck did they decide to trash the rewards so badly when she last came around?

blace
May 5, 2013, 01:19 AM
To make us grind and make the level 60 cap harder to reach?

MetalDude
May 5, 2013, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't mind the grind to 60 if the experience reduction in AQs didn't make 46-50 such a bitch. The requirements are hardly that bad. I'm saying that the CO exp rewards are absolute shit in regards to how much is needed.

blace
May 5, 2013, 01:24 AM
It did give way to easy leveling and it was a bit broken with Kressida, who had given large amounts of EXP as a reward and was daily.

It's just that the way they did it makes leveling other classes a longer grind.

Alisha
May 5, 2013, 01:29 AM
arr with actually have enough co's to lvl a class to max

AgemFrostMage
May 5, 2013, 06:27 AM
I think it kind of does. It fits the general despair of the people who want the game in English and therefore need to deal with Sega of America. I'm getting close to the rage/riot/spam Sega of Japan social media phase.

By the way, to OP FFXIV the original was bad. A realm reborn is still bad. They were too lazy to actually change the combat from turn based smacking to something else. The graphics are very nice though. I'd beta it before actually buying it. Ironically, the one thing Square Enix did right was have US servers with JP servers. We always got updates in a timely manner and the head guy's posts are translated within a few days.

If the game does come to America I hope they don't change the mechanics or even the basic environment too much or nerf difficulty. I like watching Miku in the lobby =)

Walkure
May 5, 2013, 07:24 AM
Square really did a stellar job localizing FFXI, and the gameplay, warts and all, fostered an insanely strong (and strongly insane) community. Meeting up with anyone that played FFXI to 75 in that cap is like an instant moment of camaraderie.

Though, ARR is definitely not really relevant to PSO2; they're different flavors of MMO entirely. PSO2 is more akin to Monster Hunter and other Action-RPGs, where for the most part a single player can complete any quest, and teammates almost always help. It's all about using positioning and invulnerability frames to get the most usage out of a rather limited amount of actual attacks. FFXIV, seems more like FFXI and WoW, where the gameplay isn't so much about individual player abilities, but more of using a diverse amount of abilities to assist your role in a party dynamic.

You can't really say one gameplay style is superior when they're built for different spectrums of player size and cooperation. One style thrives on 1-4 player teams, while the other thrives on numbers larger than that.

I can say that I'm looking forward to trying it, but as much as I enjoyed FFXI, I'm not sure if I'd pick up a similar gameplay style.

Zeota
May 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah I can attest to the "strongly insane" part of FFXI. Especially true if you were involved with the HNM scene. Pretty much "whoever's claim bot was better", and whoever had the best bot had the market for those drops by the balls. Too much drama fo yo mama!

The fact SE was so hush-hush about game mechanics led to people developing things such as parsers that helped people figure out how the game calculates damage and helped determine the best gear to use for any given situation.

As for ARR, I can't really say anything good or bad since I wasn't in any of the betas and thus have no hands-on experience.

~Aya~
May 5, 2013, 10:32 AM
I want to play.. i played ffxi amd i think it fit me as im not very good in action type games

Zalana
May 5, 2013, 01:46 PM
HNM scene weeeee oh how I miss Nid and Faffy. The drama that came along with it was movie star drama lol. All I can say is Spike Flail. God HNM's were just crazy just like linkshells competing in Sky. Thank god Abyssea changed that. :-P

ShinMaruku
May 5, 2013, 03:35 PM
I say fuck ff14 and pso2. I want a game does a good online rpg with some really indepth combat and content. Not because it is easy but because it is hard. Neither Sega or Square have done that. Fuck the last online game to do that was WoW and Blizzard is NOT the company you want carrying the torch.

Cagedtaytay
May 5, 2013, 04:18 PM
I say fuck ff14 and pso2. I want a game does a good online rpg with some really indepth combat and content. Not because it is easy but because it is hard. Neither Sega or Square have done that. Fuck the last online game to do that was WoW and Blizzard is NOT the company you want carrying the torch.

Every post you've made here has been rage-filled.
Liek....

Walkure
May 5, 2013, 05:00 PM

If you're looking for difficult action-rpg then look into Monster Hunter and Demon/Dark Souls series.

ShinMaruku
May 5, 2013, 07:04 PM
Who told you I never played those? http://i.imgur.com/dFN93.png

RuneLateralus
May 5, 2013, 08:27 PM

Please, tell us how you REALLY feel.

I am tempted to play FFXIV: ARR, but I know how terrible the original was. I am hoping to get into the beta before attempting to jump in on blind faith, as I remember my FFXI experience was really bad. Granted, as an experiment to remind myself of that to avoid interest in FFXIV: ARR, I re-installed FFXI, only now to findthe game more accessible and enjoyable than it was a long time, so I have been enjoying it now.

But in the meantime, there is Neverwinter. While the game is barren on different classes and how many characters you can have, it is still pretty fun.

gravityvx
May 5, 2013, 08:54 PM
Please, tell us how you REALLY feel.

I am tempted to play FFXIV: ARR, but I know how terrible the original was. I am hoping to get into the beta before attempting to jump in on blind faith, as I remember my FFXI experience was really bad. Granted, as an experiment to remind myself of that to avoid interest in FFXIV: ARR, I re-installed FFXI, only now to findthe game more accessible and enjoyable than it was a long time, so I have been enjoying it now.

But in the meantime, there is Neverwinter. While the game is barren on different classes and how many characters you can have, it is still pretty fun.

As someone that played XIV from start to finish, I can tell you ARR is leaps and miles better than the original. They have mainstreamed the hell out of it though, meaning it's too damn easy in it's current state but that's what betas are for and it will be lasting till near end of the year. A very good foundation is there though, far from a bad game currently but needs a lot of adjusting in combat difficulty, and a few tweaks in the mechanics although they havent fully implemented all of the combat yet.

Palle
May 5, 2013, 08:54 PM
I am tempted to play FFXIV: ARR, but I know how terrible the original was. I am hoping to get into the beta before attempting to jump in on blind faith, as I remember my FFXI experience was really bad. Granted, as an experiment to remind myself of that to avoid interest in FFXIV: ARR, I re-installed FFXI, only now to find the game more accessible and enjoyable than it was a long time, so I have been enjoying it now.
Ha, I am in the same boat, just returning to FFXI.

Given the partial NDA lift, I will say that ARR plays a bit faster than 1.X (whatever engine changes they made give play a smoother feel, IMO), easier to travel (at least in Gridania/Twelveswood since the other areas were unavailable) and with slightly expanded character options. Less mess, still feels like FF.

SamTehLulz
May 5, 2013, 09:19 PM
I've played the beta for Final Fantasy XIV, and it lags a lot on my computer that is capable of playing Phantasy Star Online 2. Although, the game seems really cool and fun to play if I had a fast enough computer. Still, I think I'll just stick with playing PSO2 on the Japanese server, even after it IS released in the West.

LordShade
May 6, 2013, 12:19 AM

>hates hotkey mmos
>mentions another hotkey infested mmo where the only thing you do is press hotkeys in the right order otherwise your dps sucks

okay....

I'll give you points for the content though

also

FFXIV is fun and decent game, the story quests and side quests are decent enough to provide some entertainment and the dungeons and combat are alright, there is a global cooldown for all skills but this forces people to think up effective combos for the skills as many skills can combo into one another (effectively making the GCD mean nothing) The only part this game slows down is in the beginning areas because you don't have enough skills to combo into one another. Comboing other skills into one another provides special effects (from changing the skills animation to giving 100% crit rates to providing bonus damage over time effects)

The best part of FFXIV are in my opinion, the classes. Gladiator is a tank class but plays fast enough to be a DPS class when subclassed with Lancer or Pugilist, and the Disciples of War classes (Paladin, Monk, Summoner etc) are decent upgrades to classes that make you so so so much cooler looking along with adding many many different combat factors and tactics. Did you also know you can level up a Disciples of Craft (botanist, Florist, lumberman) class to max level and you get your own unique looking armor to show your status?

also, Dragoons are fucking AWESOME.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/28XtQ[/SPOILER-BOX]

TaigaUC
May 6, 2013, 03:36 AM
Pretty much every game does like 1-2 things right, then totally drops the ball on everything else. It's so damn annoying.

SamTehLulz
May 6, 2013, 06:14 PM
>hates hotkey mmos
>mentions another hotkey infested mmo where the only thing you do is press hotkeys in the right order otherwise your dps sucks

okay....

I'll give you points for the content though

also

FFXIV is fun and decent game, the story quests and side quests are decent enough to provide some entertainment and the dungeons and combat are alright, there is a global cooldown for all skills but this forces people to think up effective combos for the skills as many skills can combo into one another (effectively making the GCD mean nothing) The only part this game slows down is in the beginning areas because you don't have enough skills to combo into one another. Comboing other skills into one another provides special effects (from changing the skills animation to giving 100% crit rates to providing bonus damage over time effects)

The best part of FFXIV are in my opinion, the classes. Gladiator is a tank class but plays fast enough to be a DPS class when subclassed with Lancer or Pugilist, and the Disciples of War classes (Paladin, Monk, Summoner etc) are decent upgrades to classes that make you so so so much cooler looking along with adding many many different combat factors and tactics. Did you also know you can level up a Disciples of Craft (botanist, Florist, lumberman) class to max level and you get your own unique looking armor to show your status?

also, Dragoons are fucking AWESOME.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/28XtQ[/SPOILER-BOX]

I don't know if I'd really call Final Fantasy XIV Hotkey INFESTED, considering it's possible to play it with a gamepad unlike a normal Hotkey MMO.

ShinMaruku
May 6, 2013, 10:16 PM
All I am saying is hotkey mmos are not for me.
And I was saying it's dissapointing nobody will take the pso paradigm to where it can go and we are stuck with hotkey mmos and Sega's incompetent ass.
It's not so much rage. :P

Retehi
May 6, 2013, 10:34 PM
All I am saying is hotkey mmos are not for me.
And I was saying it's dissapointing nobody will take the pso paradigm to where it can go and we are stuck with hotkey mmos and Sega's incompetent ass.
It's not so much rage. :P

A inbred monkey can do co's better than Sega.

Sounds pretty rage-y actually. Calm down bro.

ShinMaruku
May 7, 2013, 12:56 AM
Since when does calling sega shit denote rage? They have been shitty for quite some time and could do much better.

jooozek
May 16, 2013, 07:02 AM
combat system tho..

few days later and holy fucking shit, gotta say, exploration in neverwinter is fuckingly amazing, even better than it seemed for me those few days ago

Tetsaru
May 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting Phase 3 of the FFXIV:ARR Beta as well, which for those that don't know, is supposed to start sometime early next month. I played some of the earlier phases, and while I like some of the things they've done so far, what concerns me most is how much they've changed the combat system between now and patch 1.23 of the old game. Phase 3 is supposed to be when they're going to be specifically testing combat mechanics (as opposed to server stress, using gamepad controllers, etc. in the previous phases), and I really hope they change it back more to how it was in 1.23, especially after they went through the trouble of cleaning up everything in previous patches. I know some people aren't into the hotkey "tank & spank" styles of combat, but even some of the 1.0 fights like Ifrit kept you on your toes - knowing where to run/stand when eruptions/plumes went off and not blindly spamming all of your weaponskills so you wouldn't get rooted when it happened, etc. - so I'm confident there will be some good "action-ey" fights in the game other than just mindlessly zerging the crap out of trash mobs.

Ever since 1.0 went down back around November, my friends and I started playing GW2, and recently, PSO2, since the people at Sega still seem to have their heads up their asses regarding the official English release. I mean how hard is it to translate and localize a game, much less keep the public regularly informed about progress and delays? Seriously, it's been nearly a year since they announced, "yeah, we'll have an English version" and then back in March they're like "uhhh, it's delayed because Seg-duh herp-derp." It's almost like they have a xenophobic view that "this game needs to stay Japanese," or have this assumption that people outside of Japan simply won't like it or buy into it, which is a shame. Obviously, they didn't learn anything from PSU... but at least it's F2P this time around. :rolleyes: Oh well, enough of my ranting...

But yeah, Phase 3 is supposed to be when a lot of the game's content opens up, so I'm sure there will be much to look forward to compared to the previous phases. Naoki Yoshida's been doing an excellent job with the game so far, anyway.

Randomness
May 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
And this is a great example of why SOJ sucks. Lets all clap for SEGA for losing a customer.

Fixed that. Generally speaking, SoJ makes all the decisions, SoA takes all the blame.

Back to the original topic... I'd be trying ARR even if PSO2 came out at the same time.

ShinMaruku
May 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
few days later and holy fucking shit, gotta say, exploration in neverwinter is fuckingly amazing, even better than it seemed for me those few days ago

Glad you like it.

Tetsaru
May 30, 2013, 12:21 PM
The Live Letter From the Producer VII finished a little while ago. Various highlights can be found here. (http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/05/30/check-out-the-qa-and-relevant-screencaps-from-the-final-fantasy-xiv-letter-from-the-producer-live-vii/)

Beta Phase 3 is planned to start June 14, so pretty much right after E3. They also confirmed Scholar as a new job, and are supposed to be revealing more about it during their E3 presentations. Still didn't see any new info on Arcanist/Summoner yet though, from what I could tell.

Meta77
May 30, 2013, 08:42 PM
Is it free?

Tetsaru
May 31, 2013, 01:04 PM
Is it free?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/index.html

Click on the Pricing/Platforms tab at the top.

From what I've gathered so far (and some of this info was posted a long time ago when they were first announcing this project, so keep that in mind), if you played version 1.0, we're supposed to be able to download the new ARR PC client for free when it comes out, but if you want to play on PS3, you'll still need to buy a copy of the game for that console. If you're a Legacy account member, we're also supposed to receive a discount on our monthly subscription fee.

Also, I believe they are still taking Beta applications, so if you're interested in that, click on one of the appropriate banners on this site. (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/)

Meta77
Jun 1, 2013, 10:53 AM
Dang :c i was hoping it was free but should have guessed it was not.

Tetsaru
Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
New E3 trailer is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=HHnxfrvgdqw

Zalana
Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
Can't wait to play... silly part is why haven't I cancelled my FFXI account and it's been inactive for like a year. God I miss my linkshell. :|

Palle
Jun 11, 2013, 11:42 PM
New client / patcher are up. (http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/beta/ffxivsetup.exe) Update / key emails should be inbound shortly.