PDA

View Full Version : PS Portable 2

tristan0304
May 16, 2013, 09:58 AM
Since the PSU servers were shut down last year. I always wanted to buy as PSP or PS Vita for PS Portable 2 but never did. So my question, is it still worth buying because I really miss PSU and need something else, getting bored of Black OPS 2 and other games. I played PSO 2 on the JP servers but didnt like how different it was from the original PSO episode 1&2. Dont get me wrong PSO 2 is ok but somethings are just stupid in the game like getting contracts to unlock stuff. So if there are still alot of people on PS Portable 2 then I will buy it if not then it was my loss on waiting this long. Thank you whoever answers back.

Update the Vita would be out of the question because its not in the Play Store anymore, unless there is another way of getting it for the Vita (Bummer):-?^^;:-(

blace
May 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
The community is small, and you'll be hard pressed to find legitimate players free of messing with the games data or have messed with their character. I haven't looked at the price of PSP systems lately, but they were still priced at around $100-$150 for a new 3000 model.

As for the Vita, it's not compatible with the system even if you have biught it off the PS Store and is only available for the Vita through bypassing the PSP game registry through ISO and such.

In short, if you choose to play PSPo2, be wary of hackers.

Link1275
May 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
Since the PSU servers were shut down last year. I always wanted to buy as PSP or PS Vita for PS Portable 2 but never did. So my question, is it still worth buying because I really miss PSU and need something else, getting bored of Black OPS 2 and other games. I played PSO 2 on the JP servers but didnt like how different it was from the original PSO episode 1&2. Dont get me wrong PSO 2 is ok but somethings are just stupid in the game like getting contracts to unlock stuff. So if there are still alot of people on PS Portable 2 then I will buy it if not then it was my loss on waiting this long. Thank you whoever answers back.

Update the Vita would be out of the question because its not in the Play Store anymore, unless there is another way of getting it for the Vita (Bummer):-?^^;:-(
It's still worth playing. If you get it look up Link1275(aka me). I have a small circle of friends who play every night that are legit(and they aren't from PSO-World).

Sinue_v2
May 16, 2013, 05:09 PM
In short, if you choose to play PSPo2, be wary of hackers.

Even if you did get it running on the PSVita, I wouldn't recommend playing on that system. Because of the aforementioned cheaters and griefers, it's a good idea to keep an up-to-date backup of your save file handy - and I don't know if you can access your data on the Vita. There is a dashboard program funkyskunk created (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187011) which can back-up and restore PSP2 & PSP2i data, but I don't know if it will work on the Vita. I doubt it.

Your best bet would be to just buy a PSP. Hell, if you're feeling adventurous you might even consider looking into just buying a beat-up used one on the cheap, installing CFW, and using an ISO ripper to transfer your game off the disk and onto your PC... then running it on an emulator like JPCSP.

I have no idea how good or bad an idea that is, because I don't know compatible PSP2/PSP2i is with JPCSP, but I've seen some impressive demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSpYUw563w4

Link1275
May 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
Even if you did get it running on the PSVita, I wouldn't recommend playing on that system. Because of the aforementioned cheaters and griefers, it's a good idea to keep an up-to-date backup of your save file handy - and I don't know if you can access your data on the Vita. There is a dashboard program funkyskunk created (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187011) which can back-up and restore PSP2 & PSP2i data, but I don't know if it will work on the Vita. I doubt it.

Your best bet would be to just buy a PSP. Hell, if you're feeling adventurous you might even consider looking into just buying a beat-up used one on the cheap, installing CFW, and using an ISO ripper to transfer your game off the disk and onto your PC... then running it on an emulator like JPCSP.

I have no idea how good or bad an idea that is, because I don't know compatible PSP2/PSP2i is with JPCSP, but I've seen some impressive demos.

emunewz tid=33845 num=4 (1080p) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSpYUw563w4)
funkyskunk signed(most CFW applications aren't, hence they don't work on OFW) his save backup program so that OFW users could use it. That means you can run it on a Vita as well. I also don't recommend using an emulator as just by watching that video I can tell you that it doesn't look, feel, or sound the same as playing it on an actual PSP.

blace
May 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
PSP saves on the Vita works similarly to the PSP when backing saves. The concern with doing the aforementioned registry with the PSP is that it could affect your Vita saves and data.

The emulators that have been released so far don't seem to run PSP games at the optimal performance and seems slow.

Sinue_v2
May 16, 2013, 08:51 PM
funkyskunk signed(most CFW applications aren't, hence they don't work on OFW) his save backup program so that OFW users could use it. That means you can run it on a Vita as well.

I knew it was signed, but I don't have much experience with the Vita and how it runs games and programs written for the PSP. I just find it safer to default to "It probably won't work" when dealing with such situations.

I also don't recommend using an emulator as just by watching that video I can tell you that it doesn't look, feel, or sound the same as playing it on an actual PSP.

Personally, I don't mind a few graphical hangups when the trade-off is sweet enough. Being able to play with a full-sized controller on a large screen, especially if the resolution is upscaled and there are graphics enhancements like AA added. Yeah. If (and that's a big IF) the rest of the game were to respond to emulation as well as what was demonstrated in the video, I could overlook a lot of minor graphical shenanigans.

Oh, and speaking of playing on a big-screen. Has there been any word on a PS Vita hardware iteration which allows TV-Out? I've been thinking of getting PSO2 for the Vita if and when it comes to the states, but I don't want to buy a Vita if I can't output to a TV or Monitor. It's one of the reasons why I waited until the 3000 came out to buy a PSP. To the OP, if the ability to play on a big-screen TV is something you'd want, then you'd probably want to look into a PSP3000 and just buy a used copy of PSP2 on UMD.

blace
May 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
I only read rumors that there will be a reiteration to the system with TV out. If that is true, then that extra port will forever be a mystery.

If you're going to get one for PSO2, you may want to try to get it working on a PC. The ever present lag ruins the experience as well as delay between PC and Vita.

Link1275
May 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
I only read rumors that there will be a reiteration to the system with TV out. If that is true, then that extra port will forever be a mystery.

If you're going to get one for PSO2, you may want to try to get it working on a PC. The ever present lag ruins the experience as well as delay between PC and Vita.
Tv-out was never very popular on the PSP so Sony didn't bother this time is what I read.

blace
May 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Tv-out was never very popular on the PSP so Sony didn't bother this time is what I read.
Like I said, only rumors and speculation. Still the manual lists it as an accessory port and since there isn't any accessory utilizing it, we can only imagine what it would be for.

PSP2FOcast
May 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
The gfx on the emulator looks AWESOME (besides some glitches)!

I play PSP2 both on TV and PC monitor and I can tell you right now that the TV cable is inferior to remotejoy>monitor. In some games you can't even read the text on the TV, but remotejoy make it perfectly readable even at 2048 x 1152 resolution I'm using.

Another advantage of the monitor is that you can mess with brightness/contrast/saturation and make it even better, even if it gets kinda blocky, it's still better than the small PSP screen or TV (plus you can use some weird gfx config for the monitor, the other day I was playing PSP2 with the whole screen in blue-ish, ghost-world like colour).