PDA

View Full Version : XBOX ONE? Thoughts?

Emp
May 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/microsoft-unveils-its-next-game-console-the-tktk/

ted the Xbox One this afternoon live from a tent on its Redmond, WA. campus, putting to end months of speculation about the company's next-generation video game console. Microsoft exec Don Mattrick called it out as an "all-in-one" box. The core strategy is "simple, instant, and complete." It was debuted alongside a new gamepad as well as a new Kinect motion camera.

The system itself is all black and features a two-tone finish with both matte and gloss in equal measure; a slot-loading Blu-ray optical drive sits out front on the left face, while a power button with the traditional incomplete circle symbol is emblazoned on the right side (which looks to be touch-based). A new Kinect was also unveiled, and it powers the console -- "Xbox On" is being trumpeted as the most important feature. There's instant switching from the Xbox One dashboard to live television (which seems to confirm that HDMI-in rumor), and a live demo is showing off impressive speeds. "Switching between live tv and all your games and entertainment is now as simple as using a remote," Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi said. He also demonstrated gesture controls for the console's UI, quickly snapping back to the dashboard with a pinch command.

A ton of UI is being shown off, with an updated version of the Xbox 360 Dashboard (the tile-system we're accustomed to with Windows 8). The dashboard has a new trending window, in addition to the standards you're used to: games, music, movies, etc. The trending concept stretches across the console's media functions as well as games, with integration in the TV program guide.

In terms of specs, the console has an 8-core CPU, USB 3.0, WiFi direct, Blu-ray, 500GB HDD, HDMI input and output, and 802.11n wireless -- no mention of the GPU. It's these specs that enable the aforementioned multitasking and Snap Mode, not to mention enabling much more powerful games.

Xbox Live is also getting a major update, with 300,000 servers backing up the service. "Your content is available and it's stored in the cloud," Microsoft's Marc Whitten said. That includes a DVR-like service for capturing game developers, and offloading processing.

EA's Andrew Wilson announced during the event that EA's sports games would be available on Xbox One "in the next 12 months," so that tells us to expect the console in a similar time frame.

Sayara
May 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
The xbox one is a nice entertainment system
but so far nothing else besides its hardware is interesting.

OH MAN FIFA 14 XBOXLUSIVE TEAM

Every second of this live brodcast is making me want it even less and less. ahahahah

.Rusty.
May 21, 2013, 12:49 PM
Yawn show us some some games plz.

Oh a halo tv show? PFFFTTTTTT

Emp
May 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yawn show us some some games plz.

Oh a halo tv show? PFFFTTTTTT

We hv to wait for E3 for games. Sadly. I want to know about the 15 All new titles.

NoiseHERO
May 21, 2013, 01:01 PM
Looks more like a Dad Box.

EvilMag
May 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
Looks like a VCR.

Emp
May 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
Looks like a VCR.

Agreed. I saw that and was like WTH! Hopefully Microsoft is fueling contracts with many of the US and global ISP/TV providers so we can replace our DVR's with an Xbox, but still pay for the providers service.

All of the interactive tv stuff that Medhi was doin was all being done with the Xbox livescreen and Comcast's Infinity TV service.

RLbitClassica
May 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
There was literally not one single thing that caught my interest. 80% of the reveal wasn't even about games. It was about TV.

gigawuts
May 21, 2013, 01:23 PM
a box with an x on it

taking the name literally, i see

at least the controller looks largely unchanged, that's all I cared about

Palle
May 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
Looks more like a Dad Box.
As a dad, I can all but confirm I am jumping ship from the console market with this upcoming generation.

Blitzkommando
May 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like the Brobox is still good with its target audience.

Interestingly enough, that audience won't see it looking like a VCR because they're too young to know what a VCR is in the first place.

Polly
May 21, 2013, 01:56 PM
All I got out of it was buzzwords buzzwords buzzwords not games not games buzzwords CALL OF DUTY.

gigawuts
May 21, 2013, 02:02 PM
call of duty is a buzzword

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
call of duty is a buzzword
Photons is a way better buzz word. That they used!

Console was lacking some neon green translucent blades anywhere though...

gigawuts
May 21, 2013, 02:28 PM
I'm sure the star wars episode 7 games are already being made

games like star wars episode 7: so you think you can dance and star wars episode 7ville

Vashyron
May 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
"Here's some gameplay footage"

*Pre-rendered / not gameplay footage*

NoiseHERO
May 21, 2013, 03:21 PM
Looks like the Brobox is still good with its target audience.

Interestingly enough, that audience won't see it looking like a VCR because they're too young to know what a VCR is in the first place.

LOL BROBOX

I take it back this one is better.

Sinue_v2
May 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
Sports, Buzzwords, and FMV.... that's about all I took away. The expanded multimedia features don't interest me, and they can hype their hardware capabilities till their blue in the face... but at the end of the day, the trend towards multi-platform publishing to recoup the insane development costs is going to ensure that Xbox One's graphics are going to look really no better than it's competitors.

I do like the idea of active feedback in the triggers though. Could open up some interesting new game mechanics.

Ryno
May 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
I will only play halo games.

Enforcer MKV
May 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
"Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

"Oh, a game where the US isn't the superpower? That's ni- oh it's call of duty. Huh, interesting..."

strikerhunter
May 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
We hv to wait for E3 for games. Sadly. I want to know about the 15 All new titles.

I can guarantee you that one of those 15 new titles will be Destiny which is being made by Bungie and Halo 5/6 (which isn't consider a new title). Other than that, the 14 I do not even have the slightest clue about.

Alisha
May 22, 2013, 12:36 AM
bungie is under sony now iirc

PrinceBrightstar
May 22, 2013, 12:59 AM
It seems those with wallets are voting. Sony's stock rose 9% today and considering how this thing seems to not care about the core gamer is sending me that way as well. Between Nintendo's Wii U seeming more and more like the flop Virtual Boy was and now this, I'm considering going PC only for this generation unless PS4 pulls something.

The only good thing to come out of that show was the Mocap dog but that technically wasn't Xbox they were talking about. The big news came after the show when it was all but confirmed that they're doing away with the disc actually meaning anything since game installs are required and you can't sell or more importantly lend a game to a friend without paying a fee (full price). Always on rumors also seem to have had some validity as kotaku's reporting it requires a check in once a day and to activate any game. I'm sure the people who don't have broadband connections (where it simply isn't available) will be really happy about this.

Mike
May 22, 2013, 02:41 AM
I haven't been paying too much attention but if they keep the same business model the 360 used/became for connecting online, I'll stay away. It's not any silly loyalty to Sony or Nintendo or (in the case of the DC2) Sega but just common sense. Why pay for a service when someone else is giving away an equivalent service for free.

blace
May 22, 2013, 03:17 AM
I never was an Xbox fan. Didn't like the first Xbox because it was big and clunky, didn't want to have to pay a fee for the 360 and now it seems this one is being filled to the brim with gimmicks as the selling point especially since Skype is now owned by Microsoft.

As long as both consoles get some of the same games, I'll be sticking with Sony or go PC entirely. I have a backlog of games from the Steam sales I haven't even touched.

Kent
May 22, 2013, 03:25 AM
The presentation was filled with moments of "Okay, I guess that's cool for people who use that sort of thing," but not really a whole lot that spoke to me, personally. I like the idea of the Xbox being the central entertainment hub of the living room... Because it's really the logical evolution of the platform - considering that it already fills that role within the households of most people I personally know that have an Xbox 360 anyway - including me, despite that I only really ever play games on it, which means it's still my entertainment hub (just, it's for the best form of entertainment, rather than all of the lesser ones like movies and TV).

I'm not really a TV watcher or Netflix person, not into sports, and not into Call of Duty. So none of that was particularly interesting.

Forza is always nice to look at, on a technical level, just for some of the details they can put into the cars and environments... Kinda like Gran Turismo (except, you know, better).

That aside though, the new OS layers and interface look pretty damn slick. Considering how Windows 8 is an amazingly-good OS with just a few quirks that actually get in the way (like the multiple-monitor support), the Windows-based tile interface and guide is very much welcome. The stuff they talked about during the post-reveal architecture panel was pretty impressive as well.

Though they touched on it some, they didn't really go into too much detail about some of the technological improvements for things like Kinect. The initial Kinect was really held back by specifications being low enough to negatively impact what developers were capable of doing with it, but seeing what this one's capable of makes me think developers can actually make some of their ideas happen now.

Like any new type of input, it's really just something waiting for talented designers and developers to do wonderful things with it, if they can. The performance of it seems high enough to be liberating, rather than restricting, so I'm hoping we'll see some legitimately-great things come out of it.

The "always-online" stuff is a little bit disappointing, since it'll need to connect once every 24 hours minimum (unless it's another case of news outlets getting the wrong idea and reporting the wrong thing)... But realistically, their target audience isn't one that plays offline much anyway. Their target audience, obviously, being internet-enabled consumers in the US. I'm really curious as to how much of their grand plan will even apply outside of the US in the first place, all things considered.

Disappointed in the lack of games, but it had roughly the same number of marginally-interesting games as the PS4 conference (and even less obvious bullshitting, oddly enough). At least we have 15 confirmed exclusives in development right now, and 8 of them are new IPs... So there's some good news. I assume we'll see a lot more about the games stuff at E3. The "E3 will be all about games" remark makes me wonder if they were getting as much of the non-game stuff out of the way at the reveal, so as to focus on games at E3 more than anything else.

...Oh, and a Space Channel 5 Twitter (https://twitter.com/Space_channel5) mysteriously went live today. I can has Space Channel 5 Kinect? It would instantly sell me the system. Seriously.

CelestialBlade
May 22, 2013, 04:23 AM
Man, I sure miss the days when "gaming" in console gaming wasn't an afterthought. Wait, does this console even play games? They seem to have forgotten to mention that. The features are mostly cool, don't get me wrong, but I personally buy consoles if there's some games I really want that are exclusive to it. If I wanted a media center, I'd buy one, but I guess if you didn't already have a blu-ray player (which all have basically the same features nowadays) then I guess it's useful? Lack of backwards compatibility and CALL OF BOOTY I expected, same with the always-on stuff, so no real surprises there. And to be fair, E3 isn't far away, so we probably shouldn't have expected much in the way of a game lineup at this presser.

It's just not very interesting to me seeing that I'd have to buy a device that is redundant to my blu-ray player just to play games. I'll be sticking with PC gaming, thanks.

Oh, and did anyone play this?
[spoiler-box]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z104/AweOfShe1/96A857D9-3F0D-47D8-929D-A51F12DD7681-6723-0000058F53B0FC91_zps25c05063.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Vashyron
May 22, 2013, 06:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD1VlQdj2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

It's amazing!

Mike
May 22, 2013, 08:22 AM
Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw)
I'm not sure what to think of this. I think I'm supposed to TV the TV for Call of Duty?

gigawuts
May 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
cholodoodie

strikerhunter
May 22, 2013, 08:47 AM
It's not any silly loyalty to Sony or Nintendo or (in the case of the DC2) Sega but just common sense. Why pay for a service when someone else is giving away an equivalent service for free.

The only reason I payed for Live was because of the Halo franchise. I mean isn't Halo the original reason (way back when Xbox live first started during Halo 2) why most Xbox owners payed for Xbox live.

Don't get me wrong, Xbox has a lot had a lot of good games on it but too bad most good ones, with the exception of halo, where not exclusive to the console whereas the PS3 had more exclusive games (not counting the CoD).

With no promising good new exclusive titles to the Xbox one, I really see no reason to pay for it at all when I can go get BFF4 which releases next year (or so but I forgot), get a PS4, and play it online for free.

Sayara
May 22, 2013, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjUO2YSjn0

I would have alot less compalints about the console if it was not given the Xbox label. Like if it was JUST the media player device VCR it is under a different handle from Microsoft (The Microsoft FUNBOX [Turkeyslam willsue]) id be VERY okay with it.

gigawuts
May 22, 2013, 09:33 AM
I mean isn't Halo the original reason (way back when Xbox live first started during Halo 2) why most Xbox owners payed for Xbox live an Xbox.

yes

vidya.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjUO2YSjn0)

I would have alot less compalints about the console if it was not given the Xbox label. Like if it was JUST the media player device VCR it is under a different handle from Microsoft (The Microsoft FUNBOX [Turkeyslam willsue]) id be VERY okay with it.
This would have been a good move. If they want to turn the Xbox into an all-encompassing media center, then just F'in do that.

Aeris
May 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
I will only play halo games.

Halo and Gears of War for me, the arcade has some nice games but meh.

Why pay for a service when someone else is giving away an equivalent service for free.

This is what i don't get either when they released the Xbox 360 back then, always have to have gold membership just to play online with others when it can be used for something better else rather than restricting online play with others for that.

Zeota
May 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
Pay a fee to play a used game on another machine? GG M$. I haven't touched my 360 in forever and the only time it's ever turned on is when my niece and nephew come over.

Yeah, methinks I'll pass. I may just skip this generation altogether.

Mekhana
May 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
Microsoft lost a customer this generation I loved the original Xbox as an alternative to my PS2 with its cool exclusives like Dead or Alive and superior graphics but since the 360 things have been going steadily downhill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

ShinMaruku
May 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
You guys forgot always online and you have to pay a fee for used games. :P
That said I am not surprised what was revealed. This was their game plan from day 1.

yoshiblue
May 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
Sad to say that Halo is still the only reason I would buy an Xbox. Otherwise, PS4 for the next Sly Copper, Kingdom Hearts 3, Gran Turismo 6/7(?), and maybe an Onimusha game if they ever make one.

Kent
May 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
A new Onimusha is probably in the queue at Capcom right behind Mega Man Legends 3 and a new Breath of Fire.

Emp
May 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
Jp people nicknamed it Batsuichi, meaning "Once Divorced"

Microsoft lost a customer this generation I loved the original Xbox as an alternative to my PS2 with its cool exclusives like Dead or Alive and superior graphics but since the 360 things have been going steadily downhill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

SPORTS! SPORTS! SPORTS!

/whothehellcaresMicrosoft

yoshiblue
May 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Reminds me of Sega's Sports phase.

Blastifyys
May 22, 2013, 04:18 PM
Not always online you have to sign in online once every 24 hours

gigawuts
May 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Oh man wouldn't it seriously suck if certain parts of the country, or even world for that matter, had enormous disasters that knocked out internet for weeks at a time.

Good thing freak storms aren't becoming a problem.

strikerhunter
May 22, 2013, 04:29 PM
Sad to say that Halo is still the only reason I would buy an Xbox.

It is the only reason why the Xbox became big and great besides Gears of War that lead to many other good games.

Randomness
May 22, 2013, 05:24 PM
Lets see... impossible to lend games to friends? Yeah, no.

Requires internet? No thanks.

No used sales? Uh... yeah.

I know some people are going to compare it to Steam and say that makes it okay, but its so much worse than Steam...

Also, I'd love to see how the EU treats this, since I recall the courts there ruling that digital games had be resealable.

gigawuts
May 22, 2013, 05:29 PM
Same way all software companies deal with reselling: By selling licenses to use the software, not the software itself. Any owned software can be exchanged or resold, but licenses cannot unless the licensing company says so.

Polly
May 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Lets see... impossible to lend games to friends? Yeah, no.

Requires internet? No thanks.

No used sales? Uh... yeah.

I know some people are going to compare it to Steam and say that makes it okay, but its so much worse than Steam...

Also, I'd love to see how the EU treats this, since I recall the courts there ruling that digital games had be resealable.

What's interesting about the European market, is that basically everything they showed yesterday is essentially meaningless to them. Sony's got a lot of loyalty in European markets and I'd say it's a key battleground if they want to earn the right to be as arrogant as they're being.

Also, they've basically said "fuck you" to indies again, requiring them to have a big name publisher behind them or signing their shit over to Microsoft themselves.

SuperChoco
May 22, 2013, 06:25 PM
Well, I can understand why there were no games presented at the conference, but the features they revealed and the way they were revealed was pretty terrible. What they should have done was cut the fluff from this conference and put it in E3. The conference itself seemed meaningless when e3 is literally around the corner.

JamesM
May 22, 2013, 06:27 PM
Just going to PS4 and WiiU, sry.

Kent
May 22, 2013, 07:18 PM
It is the only reason why the Xbox became big and great besides Gears of War that lead to many other good games.
While that's undoubtedly true, I'm really hoping that their software lineup calls back to the days of the original Xbox, where they had all sorts of exclusive IPs and series from Microsoft Game Studios and companies like Sega, that really helped sell the system as a Dreamcast successor (which it absolutely was, in spirit, to anyone that isn't fooling themselves).

Things like Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust, Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, Dead or Alive and Otogi were all things that made the Xbox a clear choice when it came to the type and quality of games you could get within that platforms selection, that set it apart from the likes of the PS2 and GameCube. This was fantastic: This is the type of thing that made me drive an hour and a half to the nearest Circuit City to plunk down $300 on the thing in launch week.

Yes, Halo is about as good as strictly-FPS games on consoles really to get nowdays, and it obviously redefined the genre back then. Of course, I actually really enjoyed Perfect Dark Zero, because I wasn't nostalgia-blinded like basically the entirety of the population that hated it.

I miss the days of having all sorts of unique and different games on the system, but at the same time, they all have a distinctive feel to them, that was originally at the core of the Xbox brand: This is where your "core" gamers belong, and where they should feel at home. This underlying concept is still there, though it's just far more subdued due to other features coming into the limelight.

The TV stuff and sports nonsense are probably going to be great for people who are into that (noting that it was confirmed that the TV thing will be US-only when the platform launches worldwide this year). The 360 retained some of that identity the original Xbox had, even to the point that my personal favorite developer of all time, Treasure, stated that Xbox Live Arcade is their platform of choice because the platform is the place where people of the mindset of their fans reside (I wonder what they're up to nowadays). This also came up in some other XBLA and WP7 releases, such as Crimson Dragon (WP7 version: Great, Kinect Arcade version: Still in development, probably going to be great), but it's awfully subdued compared to the family entertainment hub goal they're chasing now.

...But at the same time, I'm not exactly opposed to this. I'm used to the kinds of games I really look forward to being rather niche things. Though it is regrettable that more of them don't get made due to achieving cult status rather than blockbuster status, it's still an identity you don't actually see on other platforms.

So I'm certainly very hopeful that the Xbox brand will keep some of its core integrity beyond the likes of Halo and Gears of War, I guess the focus on TV and sports are, at the very least, helping me keep my hype levels in check to either spare myself so much disappointment, or make an upcoming announcement of Phantom Dust One and Killer Instinct 3 all the better.

Same way all software companies deal with reselling: By selling licenses to use the software, not the software itself. Any owned software can be exchanged or resold, but licenses cannot unless the licensing company says so.
More accurately, the way software licensing actually works, is that if you transfer a copy of the software that you have the license to own, you must legally also transfer all backups/archival copies you own as well as transferring the license to the software itself. This is how it works in the US at least.

Basically, it means that if you give someone your copy of the game, you necessarily also transfer the license specifically to them, as well as being required to give them any backups you've made, or destroy said backups. It's been this way for decades.

Mantiskilla
May 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
What's interesting about the European market, is that basically everything they showed yesterday is essentially meaningless to them. Sony's got a lot of loyalty in European markets and I'd say it's a key battleground if they want to earn the right to be as arrogant as they're being.

Also, they've basically said "fuck you" to indies again, requiring them to have a big name publisher behind them or signing their shit over to Microsoft themselves.

I have no quarrel in this fight as I don't plan on purchasing a PS4 or Xbox One but I think at the end of the day Microsoft has somewhat thrown the white flag as trying to be a global dominant console and instead they are going to try to just win in the NA market which currently is the largest market in the industry at least from a financial standpoint. I don't think they per se come across as arrogant, but i think the stigma of the console being a "Microsoft" brand kinda gives it that rap (good or bad). It does look rather poor however on how little they seem to care about Europe and Japan especially for people who might have/or are fans of the 360 in those territories.

Polly
May 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
It does look rather poor however on how little they seem to care about Europe and Japan especially for people who might have/or are fans of the 360 in those territories.

Well, Japan's been a lost cause since the original XBox, and they probably don't have enough resources to make Japan care. Europe was definitely a battle ground this time around however.

And for the record, I have no dog in this race either. I'm sticking to PCs from here on out. I do find the posturing (or lackthereof) interesting though.

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm just waiting for Wii-U to get GAMES

Why do consoles not get GAMES!

gigawuts
May 22, 2013, 10:32 PM
the whole gaming world is going to shit

f2p this, media center that

shit guys get it together, make some games

the future was supposed to be all vr helmets and cybering and shit

Mike
May 22, 2013, 10:43 PM
the future was supposed to be all vr helmets and cybering and shit
Oculus Rift yo. And, from what I hear, it's better than all those pterodactyl games from the early 90s.

Vashyron
May 22, 2013, 10:46 PM
Oculus Rift is pretty amazing indeed, yo!

Smash Bros, soon!

Polly
May 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Oculus Rift yo. And, from what I hear, it's better than all those pterodactyl games from the early 90s.

I wonder what purpose Oculus Rift has for people like me who only technically have one functional eye (near blind in my left eye, probably having it removed sometime in the next year or two)? I think it's great technology, but I'm doubtful I'll ever really be able to comprehend what it offers with so much of what it offers depending so much on depth and the like.

Mike
May 22, 2013, 11:30 PM
I wonder what purpose Oculus Rift has for people like me who only technically have one functional eye (near blind in my left eye, probably having it removed sometime in the next year or two)? I think it's great technology, but I'm doubtful I'll ever really be able to comprehend what it offers with so much of what it offers depending so much on depth and the like.
That's a good point. I suppose the 3D bit of the Rift will be forever closed off to those without two working eyes. But does that mean that it will be a completely useless peripheral? Some searching turned up this from another message board site:

You won't get the stereo 3D effect obviously, but the head tracking and wide field of view should still create an immersive experience that's worth it. In the early days of the rift, the developers who were playing with it said the 3d was definitely nice, but they would trade it for accurate rotational and positional head tracking any day. The current rift has great rotational tracking, so while not ideal, it is probably worth giving it a try.

The thing that may mess up a one eyed user is the lack of positional head tracking, that is the rift only knows which way the users head is pointed, but can't tell where the users head moves in space. Something i've noticed about people with a missing eye, or an injured eye is that they develop the unconscious habit of kind of moving their head from side to side as they look at something to create parallax and get some depth perception from their one eye. The rift can't detect that movement yet, and if you were to do this wearing a rift you won't get any additional parallax and you may even give yourself simulator sickness because your inner ear is sensing that your head is moving, but your eye is not seeing any movement.

So maybe the Rift will work. It's something I really feel like having some kind of demo unit somewhere might be nice for.

Enucleation? Evisceration?

Polly
May 22, 2013, 11:37 PM
Neat, nice to know that there are still possibilities for folks like me, but yeah, a demo unit would definitely be nice.

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2013, 11:58 PM

You're gonna have a glass eye/eyepatch? : O

That's so sexy.

Polly
May 23, 2013, 12:58 AM
You're gonna have a glass eye/eyepatch? : O

That's so sexy.

Getting a purple iris prosthetic. Figure I may as well have fun with it. ;D

strikerhunter
May 23, 2013, 01:21 AM
I miss the days of having all sorts of unique and different games on the system, but at the same time, they all have a distinctive feel to them, that was originally at the core of the Xbox brand: This is where your "core" gamers belong, and where they should feel at home. This underlying concept is still there, though it's just far more subdued due to other features coming into the limelight.

This is the main reason why I migrated to the PC years ago.

Kent
May 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
This is the main reason why I migrated to the PC years ago.
I've always been a console gamer at heart, but never one to ignore what the PC offers.

Incidentally, the primary benefit the PC as a primary gaming platform offers currently... Is the myriad free-to-play stuff, as a source of cheap entertainment. Specifically, I can use my work PC and play things like League of Legends, AirMech or Warframe without spending a dime on games. That's not to say that I'm not wallowing in my Steam backlog or anything...

But the higher standards of (non-Bethesda, because seriously) console gaming still have a tendency to lend themselves to better experiences, from my experience. Presuming your console manufacturer isn't trying to wrest paid-for features out from under you with system updates or being careless with your credit card information... Or just not having games.

Interestingly, this current generation has brought with it something that should be a benefit, but in reality, ended up making console games suffer the same fate that PC games have had for years: They get released without proper amounts of testing and bug-fixing, under the guise of fixing it post-launch. This sort of thing has always been offensive to me, and one of the main reasons console gaming has been a much better experience - you could rest assured that, outside of just bad games, whatever you buy is going to be rather thoroughly-tested and bug-free by the time you get your hands on it, rather than being punished with game-breaking bugs and waiting for patches because you're an early-adopter.

The update thing has proven to be just as much of a curse as a blessing in a lot of cases - just like it historically has been with PC gaming.

.Rusty.
May 23, 2013, 06:38 AM
More fuel for the fire...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

TL : DR your fancy headset will not work with the XBone

gigawuts
May 23, 2013, 07:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

ShinMaruku
May 23, 2013, 11:18 AM
Buy beats philistines

JamesM
May 23, 2013, 01:20 PM

Nintendo Direct of 11th June will answer you that!

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2013, 01:31 PM
Nintendo Direct of 11th June will answer you that!

That's my birthday :0

Kent
May 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
More fuel for the fire...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

TL : DR your fancy headset will not work with the XBone
To be fair, no one actually expects forward-compatibility from accessories.

I'm more curious as to if Xbox One controllers are compatible with PCs. I would assume so, considering how well it worked with 360 controllers, and how obvious of a thing it seems.

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
wait the controller is chargeable by USB? D<

You think they'd think of that 10 years ago. D:

I'd so use that for my PC. >_>;

.Rusty.
May 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
To be fair, no one actually expects forward-compatibility from accessories.

I'm more curious as to if Xbox One controllers are compatible with PCs. I would assume so, considering how well it worked with 360 controllers, and how obvious of a thing it seems.

Well yeah but a unique microphone socket is such an obvious money grab.
That and those expensive headsets are hinda of a thing with the hardcore gamer crowd :-?

Outrider
May 23, 2013, 03:26 PM
Guys, you're missing the important thing here:

http://i.imgur.com/DtkdMMO.gif
CALL OF DUTY DOG
No wait... Call of Doggy. Collar Duty! (https://twitter.com/collarduty)

Also, required reading for people who are sad about the presentation:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-gaming/

I wasn't particularly interested in anything they showed. Although, they apparently discussed allowing the Xbox One to use distributed computing in order to increase the system's theoretical hardware over time, which effectively future-proofs the system. That's a pretty neat (and crazy) idea.

But they'll probably still put out Halo games on the system, so I'll pick it up at some point.

EDIT: Okay, this is also required reading. It's satire, but for reals, this is the target audience for the new Xbox:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/father-excitedly-tells-10yearold-son-about-new-vid,32518/?ref=auto

Mekhana
May 23, 2013, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DtkdMMO.gif

Well at least one jaw appears to have dropped at the conference. Too bad it happens to be the dog's though.

Tetsaru
May 23, 2013, 08:46 PM
Lol alright, so let me compile all of the bullshit I've heard about this pathetic excuse of a console over the past couple of days:

- the name "Xbox One" itself is confusing since it isn't actually the first Xbox console; some would say they even took 359 steps backwards

- pretty much requires an "always on" internet connection

- requires a Kinect as well

- hard drives are non-user-serviceable

- games MUST be installed before playing

- games are registered to your account and yours only

- used games require a payment equal to the price of new games to play

- not backwards-compatible with 360 games

- not compatible with SDTV's

- not compatible with 360 controllers

- indie game developers still cannot self-publish games

- functions as a cable box, but charges $4.99 per month to essentially watch the same TV you already have; also does not allow for pay-per-view and other services used through a normal cable box

- TV TV television TV sports TV calladoodie dogs thenextwatercooler

And on top of all this:

- Millions of people watching the Xbox One event stream through their 360's had their own Kinects respond every time someone in the stream spoke Xbox voice commands. Many even reported losing all of their game data as a result.

- Sony's stock goes up by 9% shortly after the event.

Yeeeaaah, I'll just leave this here...

[spoiler-box]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/2/2/_wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admi ralserenity-d5qvxos.png[/spoiler-box]

Seriously though, with the way this gen's consoles are looking, some of the fairly recent IP's getting changed/ruined (Devil May Cry, Mega Man, etc.), companies losing money/going bankrupt and what not, I'm a bit concerned for the gaming industry in general right now. :(

Outrider
May 23, 2013, 08:53 PM

Yeah, that was almost entirely unrelated. The stock increase was because Sony might actually start making some money by selling off their entertainment division.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/boj-decision-bonds-sony-swings-exclusive-report-ford-111415886.html

Tetsaru
May 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah, that was almost entirely unrelated. The stock increase was because Sony might actually start making some money by selling off their entertainment division.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/boj-decision-bonds-sony-swings-exclusive-report-ford-111415886.html

Huh, interesting. I saw those sales graphs in one of the other links you posted earlier as well... to be honest, I'm not really sure what to think at this point. Sure, companies can do things that give them a quick cash-in sometimes, but what impact will it have in the long-run? People tend to forget that, although consumers may end up buying something, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up enjoying it. Can't please everyone, though...

The Xbox One is obviously getting a lot of flak, the Wii U hasn't made much of itself yet (mostly due to a lack of good games, imo), and the PS4... last I remember, all they showed off was the controller, and there was still rumor of them doing the same "you have to buy games new" bullshit. Guess we'll see what E3 brings... :(

Tetsaru
May 23, 2013, 09:45 PM
Welp, found some more disappointing news:

It won't support older SDTV's. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124272-Xbox-One-Wont-Support-SDTVs)

It won't support 360 controllers. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124239-Xbox-360-Controller-Incompatible-with-Xbox-One)

They still won't let indie developers self-publish their games. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124248-Xbox-One-Keeps-Indie-Self-Publishing-Off-Limits)

And on top of that, they're getting rid of the Indie Games channel, as well as the Xbox Live Arcade channel. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124246-Microsoft-Dropping-Xbox-Live-Arcade-and-Indie-Games-Channels)

Seriously, are they intentionally trying to make this console suck??

Outrider
May 24, 2013, 12:13 AM
Not allowing developers to self-publish is just absurd in this day and age. I have to say, though, that I'm not really against them getting rid of the designation between "full" games, "arcade" games, and "indie" games.

Steam basically tosses all games into one big library and it seems to work pretty well. The key thing here is that the discovery tools have to be really well designed so that even if a game is a small-scale "indie" game that it can still float up to the top when people are looking at games.

Of course, going back to the previous point about Microsoft forcing games to go through established publishers, and maybe the truth is that the concept of Xbox indie games is just disappearing entirely.

Aeris
May 24, 2013, 07:12 AM
Lol alright, so let me compile all of the bullshit I've heard about this pathetic excuse of a console over the past couple of days:

- the name "Xbox One" itself is confusing since it isn't actually the first Xbox console; some would say they even took 359 steps backwards

- pretty much requires an "always on" internet connection

- requires a Kinect as well

- hard drives are non-user-serviceable

- games MUST be installed before playing

- games are registered to your account and yours only

- used games require a payment equal to the price of new games to play

- not backwards-compatible with 360 games

- not compatible with SDTV's

- not compatible with 360 controllers

- indie game developers still cannot self-publish games

- functions as a cable box, but charges $4.99 per month to essentially watch the same TV you already have; also does not allow for pay-per-view and other services used through a normal cable box

- TV TV television TV sports TV calladoodie dogs thenextwatercooler

And on top of all this:

- Millions of people watching the Xbox One event stream through their 360's had their own Kinects respond every time someone in the stream spoke Xbox voice commands. Many even reported losing all of their game data as a result.

Yeeeaaah, I'll just leave this here...

[spoiler-box]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/2/2/_wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admi ralserenity-d5qvxos.png[/spoiler-box]

Seriously though, with the way this gen's consoles are looking, some of the fairly recent IP's getting changed/ruined (Devil May Cry, Mega Man, etc.), companies losing money/going bankrupt and what not, I'm a bit concerned for the gaming industry in general right now. :(

Can't use a SDTV wth, thats like forcing me just to go buy a HDTV just to play this console and i don't have the money just to get one atm, gg microsoft

gigawuts
May 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
Not allowing developers to self-publish is just absurd in this day and age. I have to say, though, that I'm not really against them getting rid of the designation between "full" games, "arcade" games, and "indie" games.

Steam basically tosses all games into one big library and it seems to work pretty well. The key thing here is that the discovery tools have to be really well designed so that even if a game is a small-scale "indie" game that it can still float up to the top when people are looking at games.

Of course, going back to the previous point about Microsoft forcing games to go through established publishers, and maybe the truth is that the concept of Xbox indie games is just disappearing entirely.

I think the whole indie thing is best demonstrated by Minecraft.

Tiny game company: We have a great game and tons of people love it and it's selling great!

Microsoft: Fuck off

Tiny game company: We've sold millions of copies!

Microsoft: We want exclusive rights.

Kent
May 24, 2013, 09:57 PM
Are people actually upset about not being able to use 360 accessories, despite the almost complete lack of precedent for such a thing (outside of the Wii and Wii U using their predecessors' accessories in a limited fashion, has this actually come up?), or are sensationalists just trying to add as much fuel to the fire as possible?

Having to buy a new TV I can understand, but it had to happen eventually - kinda like getting a DVD player or a TV with that fancy-ass RCA standard A/V set of plugs, rather than just a couple of wires you clamp in from rabbit-ears.

I'm guessing their logic on that one is... People who still use SDTVs probably don't have consistent internet anyway, so they wouldn't be able to use it in the first place. Or some similar nonsense. Regardless, I think they're going into this knowing full-well that they're cutting people out of the immediate potential consumer base, on the grounds that they just don't have the requisite compatible technologies for their design intentions to work. I'm sure they measured that and factored it against current Xbox 360 numbers of connectivity vs. units in the field, and decided to take a calculated risk.

...The lack of indies self-publishing thing is such utter crap though. Somewhere between insane, asinine and ignorant is from where that kind of a decision comes... Unless they have some sort of yet-to-be-unveiled plan where Microsoft Studios is willing to enter into digital publishing deals more readily with small studios, to counteract it or something - like a mid-way point between their efforts with getting indie games published on XBLA and the Xbox Live Indie Games service.

gigawuts
May 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
I would not consider expensive, full blown headphones to be accessories to a console, given that the only thing that's even proprietary about them is the jack and nothing else at all.

Polly
May 24, 2013, 11:04 PM
Are people actually upset about not being able to use 360 accessories, despite the almost complete lack of precedent for such a thing (outside of the Wii and Wii U using their predecessors' accessories in a limited fashion, has this actually come up?), or are sensationalists just trying to add as much fuel to the fire as possible?

I can at the very least understand not sharing gamepads. I believe the new gamepads are said to be built for less latency than the current 360 models have, and I think that's pretty important.

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2013, 01:22 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/504aaccb044f482b5730a70d6772b66a/tumblr_inline_mnbgszePP31qz4rgp.jpg

ShinMaruku
May 25, 2013, 02:16 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/543bc82935040edec47b22d15051abf3/tumblr_mnbhqgkPee1sr302to1_500.png

gigawuts
May 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
oh my god i love the way sony is just walking all over microsoft and they're just lying there taking it

makes me wonder what microsoft has in store for e3, they're probably just not showing their hand yet

if they'd really revealed everything they'd be duking it out with sony, not just sitting in their offices (probably smiling)

Mike
May 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
I'd bet MS has some big guns waiting at E3. I can't imagine that they'd sit back and take all the criticism without some big announcements for later.

Anon_Fire
May 25, 2013, 08:34 AM
I wasn't all impressed with the XBOX One. Looks like when it launches in Japan, 3rd failure's the charm.

Blue-Hawk
May 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
I give it 30 minutes after the first purchase for the new red ring of death. Haven't the people learned yet?

.Rusty.
May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM
I give it 30 minutes after the first purchase for the new red ring of death. Haven't the people learned yet?

Launch day will probably be a complete mess just like the diablo 3 and the simcity shitstorms.

I can at the very least understand not sharing gamepads. I believe the new gamepads are said to be built for less latency than the current 360 models have, and I think that's pretty important.

Less latency won't mean much if the analog sticks still have that terrible build quality :/

gigawuts
May 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
to be fair, the new xbox doesn't actually have the led circle, so it'll probably be a red dot

Polly
May 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'd bet MS has some big guns waiting at E3. I can't imagine that they'd sit back and take all the criticism without some big announcements for later.

That's the weird thing. I mean, they let Sony control the message for what, two or three months in complete silence, and then their big unveil was....that? I'm not really sure if it's ignorance or arrogance. Mind you, I'm not the kinda person that wants either console to fail, because I'm a weirdo and see peoples' jobs and livelihood on the line. But with the way they're handling things and losing control of the message, or being downright conflicting about it, means they're gonna have to have one hell of a showing at E3. That's how this business works really. Do something good and people tend to forget about the bad.

Less latency won't mean much if the analog sticks still have that terrible build quality :/

I've heard the sticks have a smaller dead zone, but that's really all I've heard. Most people seem fine with the 360 pad's sticks, but I find them way too twitchy already, so I'm not sure how a smaller dead zone helps that.

.Rusty.
May 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
I've heard the sticks have a smaller dead zone, but that's really all I've heard. Most people seem fine with the 360 pad's sticks, but I find them way too twitchy already, so I'm not sure how a smaller dead zone helps that.

The problem with the the 360 stick's is they kinda start drifting off to the side after a while. It was kinda bad on PSU. Someone would go afk and then you see their character slowly walking across the room.

I think games that had you clicking the sticks in a lot are part of the problem and a smaller dead zone is gonna make it worse :-?

Polly
May 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
The problem with the the 360 stick's is they kinda start drifting off to the side after a while. It was kinda bad on PSU. Someone would go afk and then you see their character slowly walking across the room.

I think games that had you clicking the sticks in a lot are part of the problem and a smaller dead zone is gonna make it worse :-?

I've heard a lot of people talk about stick drift, but with all the time I've put into my four 360 pads, I haven't had any exhibit that behaviour, thankfully. But yeah, a smaller dead zone is only gonna make that problem worse.

CelestialBlade
May 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
I've heard a lot of people talk about stick drift, but with all the time I've put into my four 360 pads, I haven't had any exhibit that behaviour, thankfully. But yeah, a smaller dead zone is only gonna make that problem worse.
Mine have gotten a workout too, and I haven't seen any drift either. I kinda doubt they've put a lot of money and research into better joysticks considering 360 controllers are overall well-liked from what I've heard, so we'll see. Personally I liked using the D-pad whenever possible, but I do play a lot of fighting games and I'm far more comfortable using the D-pad even in 3D fighters.

BIG OLAF
May 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
The older 360 controllers were shit. The one I use to navigate Netflix has the wobbliest D-pad ever (it barely makes contact with the points under it), and the joysticks stick up, and to the sides (but that's mostly from 6 years of PSU, where you were always holding forward).

The newer one I have, that I use for PC games, is the silver one with the 'transforming' D-pad. That one works great.

NoiseHERO
May 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
I still find it sad and funny, that... XBONE made the the competitors look delicious.

BIG OLAF
May 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
After hearing this (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-stock-plummets-following-xbox-one-used-game-204230663.html), I wonder if Microsoft will maybe realize what a dick-kick their whole scheme is to the gaming industry, and if they'll have the intelligence to at least somewhat change it before the Xbox One launches.

Enforcer MKV
May 25, 2013, 06:21 PM
to be fair, the new xbox doesn't actually have the led circle, so it'll probably be a red dot

Read Dot of Doom, then. Better? :p

...But yeah, seriously, I've never wanted a Sony system before (other than PSP for the Phantasy star games.) But...hell, PS4 seems like a hell of a better investment at this point.

...Wait, Megaman X is releasing on the Wii U Virtual Console next week.

I'll be back in an hour, I have to go to the store.

Sinue_v2
May 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
Can't use a SDTV wth, thats like forcing me just to go buy a HDTV just to play this console and i don't have the money just to get one atm, gg microsoft

Is this seriously an issue? I can't even find SDTV's in stores anymore. Why should MS continue to support a dead technology to the satisfaction of a minority of the userbase, at least any more so than people had a right to bitch about Sony's Blu-Ray players not having compatibility for Betamax. HDTV's are dirt cheap these days, and barring even that, you can always hook your Xbox up to a PC monitor.

Hell, I've been running all of my consoles, TV, and multimedia exclusively off a PC monitor since the days of the Dreamcast as a cheap alternative to HDTV. I have a 52" LCD in the living room now, but I still run a 23" Acer H233H in my game room. PC monitors are so ubiquitous now that you can get a good used one on the cheap almost anywhere for next to nothing.

After hearing this (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-stock-plummets-following-xbox-one-used-game-204230663.html), I wonder if Microsoft will maybe realize what a dick-kick their whole scheme is to the gaming industry, and if they'll have the intelligence to at least somewhat change it before the Xbox One launches.

Actual details on how used/borrowed/rental games will play on the Xbox One are pretty scarce, and much of what we're hearing now is just speculation. GameStop could end up just having their stock rocked over molehill that people have hyped into fucking Mt. Everest. Over potentially nothing. Besides, the bigger picture of this is that, from what I've been hearing, Sony has also been unnervingly shy (http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/microsoft-will-change-the-definition-of-used-and-new-games-and-i-doubt-youl) about revealing any details about just how the PS4 (http://gengame.net/2013/05/ps4s-answer-to-the-pre-owned-games-question-is-still-just-as-unclear-as-xbox-ones/) will treat used games (http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/think-the-ps4-wil-be-best-friends-with-used-games-not-so-fast). From what I'm reading, some are expecting this to be a sea-change event across the industry, and Sony is simply hoping that the public will kill the messenger in the mean-time.

At any rate, this isn't a dick-kick to the industry. It's a dick-kick to consumers, to be sure, but considering that buying used games from GameStop is functionally no different than legalized piracy from a publisher's perspective, then game producers actually stand to make quite a bit more money by banning or instituting fees for used game sales. This is essentially a more internalized and enforced method of fee collection that "Extra Content Codes" have played these last few years. You know, where developers cut characters and content out of a final product to be "unlocked" by codes you find in a box... and purchased later (the used game fee) if you bought it used.

And to a certain degree, I can't really shed much of a tear about GameStop getting the short end of the stick. While I love buying used games from them, the flipside of that coin typically involves a GS employee bending a prospective trade-in client over the counter and viciously ravaging them. Monetarily speaking.

ShinMaruku
May 25, 2013, 09:02 PM
I look at Sega and say "Of course they can sit there"
There is also the point that perhaps they are betting to the future and want to side step those issues. Or perhaps they don't know why they did so well. Nintendo sure doesn't.

Wyndham
May 25, 2013, 09:50 PM
I honestly am disappointed in the Xbox One. I may get one later on, depending on what games it gets. But from the looks of it, I'll be getting a PS4 for the multiplatform games and other stuff, and a Wii U for its Nintendo brand games.

Tetsaru
May 26, 2013, 09:21 AM
Been skimming through various gaming sites on this lately...

Some of you may not care for The Jimquisition (he tends to be very prideful), but I have to agree with pretty much all the points he brings up in this video (WARNING - some cursing):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7358-Xbox-One-out-of-Ten

Also, a poll (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/ign-poll-result-75-disappointed-with-xbox-one-reveal) and an interactive video (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/xbox-one-vs-ps4-you-decide) on IGN. Personally, I voted for the PS4 in all categories, save for the controllers, which I was still undecided on. I like the feel of the 360 controller better than the PS3 controller, but I'd also have to get a hands-on feel for the newer ones to see how they've changed and how their new innovations work.

And finally, some random lulz (http://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-hilariously-to-the-xbox-one-event-509292028) on Kotaku. (WARNING - lots of .gifs, Youtube vids, and other images/posts that might take a while to load)

CelestialBlade
May 26, 2013, 09:27 AM
I'd have to say the PS3 controller is probably my favorite to date. I use a PS3-clone USB gamepad for PC gaming and it works well with everything. It's simple, they haven't tried to fix something that's not broken, and it's light.

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 09:42 AM
Is this seriously an issue? I can't even find SDTV's in stores anymore. Why should MS continue to support a dead technology to the satisfaction of a minority of the userbase, at least any more so than people had a right to bitch about Sony's Blu-Ray players not having compatibility for Betamax. HDTV's are dirt cheap these days, and barring even that, you can always hook your Xbox up to a PC monitor.

Hell, I've been running all of my consoles, TV, and multimedia exclusively off a PC monitor since the days of the Dreamcast as a cheap alternative to HDTV. I have a 52" LCD in the living room now, but I still run a 23" Acer H233H in my game room. PC monitors are so ubiquitous now that you can get a good used one on the cheap almost anywhere for next to nothing.

Yeah, no, 100+ bucks on top of a game console is not "next to nothing" in this economy for a large amount of people. I can't afford a new TV just because a single game console - not even all of them, just the one - refuses to be compatible with my TV.

Some people have medical bills. Some people have housing bills. Some people can't find work. Some people have all three, and of course this is on top of your ordinary expenses. A game console to entertain yourself, sure, that can be wedged in there to keep you sane. Everyone needs to have fun. But putting a TV on top of that? Ha ha ha, hell no.

You seriously come across as someone who's always had their cup runneth over, telling people without a cup how to live their lives. Here's a tip on how to do that: Don't.

Sinue_v2
May 26, 2013, 12:53 PM
Yeah, no, 100+ bucks on top of a game console is not "next to nothing" in this economy for a large amount of people. I can't afford a new TV just because a single game console - not even all of them, just the one - refuses to be compatible with my TV.

You have AT LEAST a six month lead time between now and the launch of the new Xbox. It's not that goddamned hard to save $100 in six months. Shit, you can pick up cans along the side of the road and turn them in for recycling and have the money in two months or less.

Some people have medical bills. Some people have housing bills. Some people can't find work. Some people have all three, and of course this is on top of your ordinary expenses.

If you're that damned tight on money, you need to be taking care of other matters in your life and not spending money on a video game console.

A game console to entertain yourself, sure, that can be wedged in there to keep you sane.

No, it really can't. There are other, cheaper, forms of entertainment... and if you're that damned hard up for cash, you stick with previous generations and bargain games that have been out for two to three years. Hell, it'd be one thing if this was all in the context of video games in general, because I understand that everybody has their own escape... and for some people, video games do that in a way that books, music, or booze just doesn't for them. But we're talking about a brand new next-generation videogame console on launch day. You cannot justify that kind of large scale expenditure to me on a tight budget and then turn around and baulk at $100 monitor as too expensive. It makes no fucking sense.

You seriously come across as someone who's always had their cup runneth over, telling people without a cup how to live their lives. Here's a tip on how to do that: Don't.

And you come across to me as someone who just likes to hear himself bitch, and has found an easy target and good company in the furor over the next generation Xbox. You don't know the first fucking thing about me or my financial history. Believe me, I understand what it means to be so financially strapped that you're reduced to eating flour and water cakes as a staple for months because you can't afford real food. The very fact that I've been using a PC monitor as a substitute for an HDTV for the last 10 goddamned years until just recently, I would think, should indicate that my cup hardly "runneth over", and that I've found alternate and cheaper solutions when available.

So yes, when I say $100 PC monitor (which most people already have in their homes... so, no extra cost in those instances) is not a major investment, it's not a goddamned major investment. Especially if you're already capable of buying a next-gen system at launch.

Craig 18.5" 720p LCD TV: $100.00 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889635001&IsVirtualParent=1)

ASUS VS Series VS197D-P Black 18.5 LCD Monitor: $72.00 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236330)

72 bucks... just 12 more than a brand new game. Quit acting like this shit is going to bankrupt you.

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
If you're that damned tight on money, you need to be taking care of other matters in your life and not spending money on a video game console.

This is all I needed to hear to know you have essentially zero firsthand experience in the matters you're attempting to discuss. I was waiting for this specific line, and it invalidates everything you're saying.

Tetsaru
May 26, 2013, 02:35 PM
Welp, found yet another redonkulous thing:

TV achievements. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements)

Wtf, Microsoft... :rolleyes:

Also, notice the URL on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HgsIf-ps4... how ironic. Also, lol @ the overwhelming dislikes and disabled comment section. :razz:

Oh, and this (http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14920/article/privacy-concerns-mount-for-xbox-one-amid-skype-spying-claims/) sounds pretty creepy too...

NoiseHERO
May 26, 2013, 03:28 PM
Right, its just a red dot for its "power on" light right?

And a kinnect thats always watching *________*

Dound like a certain sci-fi movie to anyone? Or maybe a certain 500 sci-fi movies about machines that control your life?

Enforcer MKV
May 26, 2013, 04:49 PM

Here you go. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=cabcat0100000%23%23-1%23%23-1~~cabcat0101000%23%23-1%23%23-1~~f1154%7C%7C312671756f743b202d2032302671756f743b ~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312 d3031~~nf519%7C%7C4c657373207468616e2024323030&list=y&nrp=15&sc=TVVideoSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0100000&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01&gf=y)
I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass, as I worry some people may try and say. Those TVs might be a bit on the small size, but I find that, if nothing else, the clearer picture is easier on my eye. That's important, considering I only have one eye that actually...works. Plus they're relatively cheap. I'd suggest switching over. They usually take up less space, as well, so that's nice.

...I could try to find larger ones at a decent price, if you like?

yoshiblue
May 26, 2013, 05:31 PM
Could visit a good will.

CelestialBlade
May 26, 2013, 07:38 PM
God dammit guys we're not done making fun of Microshaft, hush.

Sinue_v2
May 26, 2013, 08:33 PM
"if you can only afford 400 bucks on your budget then 500 bucks is no big deal"

Over a six month period... roughly 60¢ a day. Yeah, it's no big deal. Switch to a cheaper brand of soda. Skip the snack machine at lunch. Ration a daily allotment of cigarettes (or quit) if you smoke. There's TONS of way to shave a budget when you have that large of a lead time.

if your budget only allows 400 bucks then you shouldn't be buying anything extra at all regardless of how long the period that your budget is tight may be

Yes, you take care of business before you worry about keeping entertained.

i had a rough couple months so i am totally able to talk about every single situation with complete authority

Six years bouncing between temp agencies taking what I can get to make ends meet, ever since NIM consolidated their ASM shops and shuttered my plant just in time for the economy to implode.

But yeah, fuck you too.

i call things that aren't character attacks character attacks

It totally was.

Also, need I remind people that the PS4 and XB1's launch prices haven't even been announced yet. Gamestop, at least, is already predicting a lower launch price than the PS3 and 360 retailed at... and both consoles may well have budget bundles that shave an additional $50 to $100 off the hardware. You may want to wait until those figures are finalized before you start bitching about your budget constraints and actually know whether or not you can afford them. Kinda putting the cart before the horse, aren't you?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/price-of-xbox-one-may-be-less-than-360-say-insiders-8630966.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamestop-xbox-one-ps4-will-be-less-expensive-at-launch-than-past-consoles-6408792

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 09:04 PM
"I make countless assumptions about people, their income, and their expenditures and completely miss the point all at the same time"

- sinue

And no, a character attack would be calling you a disingenuous imbecile bent on arguing in the wrong plainly because their own slice of hell was just bad enough to make them feel entitled that they can make assertions about large groups of people and how to live their lives despite not actually knowing anything about them, but not bad enough to make them realize no individual has any accurate ability or right to do so.

Or, honestly, that would still be more truthful than an attack. An attack would be if I used more insults.

Point is: Don't tell people what to do with their lives when you don't actually know anything about their lives. Don't even do it when you do, either. Don't tell people they SHOULD have such and such, or they SHOULDN'T do such and such, using blanket statements applying to people in all sorts of situations, because you had to temp for 6 years (oh the humanity).

I really can't believe this is even something anyone would ever argue. What is there to even argue about when someone tells you not to make assertions or assumptions about peoples' lives?

Randomness
May 26, 2013, 09:42 PM
"I make countless assumptions about people, their income, and their expenditures and completely miss the point all at the same time"

- sinue

And no, a character attack would be calling you a disingenuous imbecile bent on arguing in the wrong plainly because their own slice of hell was just bad enough to make them feel entitled that they can make assertions about large groups of people and how to live their lives despite not actually knowing anything about them, but not bad enough to make them realize no individual has any accurate ability or right to do so.

Or, honestly, that would still be more truthful than an attack. An attack would be if I used more insults.

Point is: Don't tell people what to do with their lives when you don't actually know anything about their lives. Don't even do it when you do, either. Don't tell people they SHOULD have such and such, or they SHOULDN'T do such and such, using blanket statements applying to people in all sorts of situations, because you had to temp for 6 years (oh the humanity).

I really can't believe this is even something anyone would ever argue. What is there to even argue about when someone tells you not to make assertions or assumptions about peoples' lives?

This is all I needed to hear to know you have essentially zero firsthand experience in the matters you're attempting to discuss. I was waiting for this specific line, and it invalidates everything you're saying.

You say he doesn't understand the situation, therefore his arguments are invalid, without addressing the arguments themselves. You aren't trying to refute his points, you are trying to go after him instead.

That is the very definition of ad hominem.

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 09:57 PM
Correction: I am going after the fact that he is even making the arguments at all. Refuting the points themselves would be an effort in futility and redundancy, and is covered by the breakdown of why making such claims is itself faulty.

Sinue_v2
May 26, 2013, 10:04 PM
Project more giga, maybe Microsoft could hire you to test their next PowerPoint build.

You've made assumptions about me, my financial history, the cost of the console, and a number of other items. All of which were wrong. The only assumption I made was that most people who can budget in a being the first adopter of a top-line piece of consumer electronics should be able to shave an extra hundred dollars over a six month period into their budget. That's not an unreasonable leap.

I'm not telling anybody how to live their lives... I'm saying that when you don't have the money to spend on a luxury item, you either find a way to make it, or you do without until you can save enough to accommodate. That's not my rule, it's basic econ. And I provided examples on how one might shave a budget without really impacting a standard of living and linked to cheap displays.

Sorry, I cannot sympathize with the financial straits of someone who's upset that they can't play their top-line system on the first day of launch because they can't afford 60cents a day for a few months. But (contrary to your assumption) I've had to wait for large purchases before... and I know what it's like to just do without. I'm ok with it, because I've had to do it enough in life, and maybe I shouldn't expect other people to be ok with having to wait a bit to save up their money. So yeah, I guess you could count that as an assumption on my part. But I can't sympathize with the sentiment, and I'll be damned if I make an apology for it.

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 10:16 PM
The initial statement you made was if someone can afford a console they can afford a TV too.

I rightfully called bullshit.

You don't need to be sympathetic, you just need to realize that is not how things work in the real world and having a rough patch of 6 years does not mean you get to ordain how things are or ought to be. I mean seriously, you're talking about saving money by avoiding a vending machine to buy a TV on top of a console on launch day, as though there are people who won't be doing that to get the console itself - after its first price markdown.

This all stems from needing a new TV to replace a completely functional older one. In the current world (and, really, every point in history, but more so now than other points) people should not be expected to buy a new TV for a game console.

Sinue_v2
May 26, 2013, 11:14 PM
The initial statement you made was if someone can afford a console they can afford a TV too.

I rightfully called bullshit.

My first post in this string was in recommending a PC monitor, since most people already have them and can use it to display their Xbox, without spending a dime.

you just need to realize that is not how things work in the real world and having a rough patch of 6 years does not mean you get to ordain how things are or ought to be.

I've yet to hear any justification for just what makes your experience, your life lessons, any more valid than my own? You keep telling me that that's not how things work in the real world, and instead of defending, you just handwave the issue away and smugly assert that it would be wasting your time.

I mean seriously, you're talking about saving money by avoiding a vending machine to buy a TV on top of a console on launch day, as though there are people who won't be doing that to get the console itself

And yes, there probably are. So what? They have to save like that a little longer. That's what you do when reality keeps you from affording your escapism. The launch day is the only "deadline" that isn't completely arbitrary, and even that's still pretty much arbitrary.

In the current world (and, really, every point in history, but more so now than other points) people should not be expected to buy a new TV for a game console.

Actually, in the real world, new technological standards replace and make obsolete the old standards - forcing upgrades to stay compatible - pretty much constantly. Why should I have to buy a DVD player and all my movies over again just to watch my library? Why should I have to purchase my music online, rather than get new releases for my cassette player? Why do I have to have a little box to decode my television signal from digital to analog? Why can't I plug my Sega Master System directly into my old SDTV?

Are you kidding me?

About 75% of American households already have at least one HDTV in their homes according to a sample taken by Leichtman Research (http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/020813release.html). The market has already moved in that direction, and frankly, SD standard has stuck around much longer than other technologies before being displaced. SDTV users have been living on borrowed time for the last few years, and a move like what MS announced shouldn't really surprise anyone.

gigawuts
May 26, 2013, 11:44 PM
What is it with you and missing the point?

I've yet to hear any justification for just what makes your experience, your life lessons, any more valid than my own?

Is that what all this has been about?

They aren't and I never said they were. Is that something I actually need to implicitly state? I felt it was implied.

You've posted some incredible hyperbole comparing technology that was phased out multiple decades ago, such as casettes that do not require hardware to use that costs as much as a television, nor do they have as much upfront cost as a game console + game, and in fact DID retain multiple options of compatibility for a very generous amount of time due to the different kinds of form factors things would be released on simultaneously. After the advent of CD's casettes stuck around for much, much longer than the lifetime of the Xbox 360. Then you've got a statistic that backs up my statement that in the current economic environment many people cannot upgrade their TV on a whim and likely will not be able to for a game console (especially one - and this is a big part of why this matters - advertising itself as being the centerpiece of your living room and/or entertainment system, which suggests the largest in the household)...

Meanwhile all I'm saying is expensive older technology and standards that are completely functional and capable of rendering modern things should not be phased out because plenty of people will not be able to afford the price of the two combined. There is no reason the Xbox One should restrict the ability to be used on their existing TV without some form of an adapter - something the PS4 (I think?) and Wii U aren't doing, might I add.

You make it sound like I'm saying HDTV compatibility shouldn't exist, when I'm saying SDTV compatibility should be retained.

Man, this is a great reminder for why I actively avoid replying to posts like that. Some people here are seriously off the walls.

.Rusty.
May 27, 2013, 03:00 AM
Now that I think about it microsoft are probably going hdmi only so that they can use that HDCP DRM. So that's something that might cause problems for the lets play community.

Tetsaru
May 27, 2013, 04:11 AM
Yet another nail in the coffin:

Consoles will be region-locked. (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/report-xbox-one-will-be-region-locked/)

Quote from another forum I visit:

"This was confirmed long before this report, we all knew the content was region locked to the room it was installed on."

:wacko:

blace
May 27, 2013, 04:16 AM
Yet another nail in the coffin:

Consoles will be region-locked. (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/report-xbox-one-will-be-region-locked/)

Quote from another forum I visit:

"This was confirmed long before this report, we all knew the content was region locked to the room it was installed on."

:wacko:
Wasn't the 360 already region locked? I don't see this being surprising if the predecessor already did this.

Aeris
May 27, 2013, 06:34 AM
Here you go. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=cabcat0100000%23%23-1%23%23-1~~cabcat0101000%23%23-1%23%23-1~~f1154%7C%7C312671756f743b202d2032302671756f743b ~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312 d3031~~nf519%7C%7C4c657373207468616e2024323030&list=y&nrp=15&sc=TVVideoSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0100000&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01&gf=y)
I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass, as I worry some people may try and say. Those TVs might be a bit on the small size, but I find that, if nothing else, the clearer picture is easier on my eye. That's important, considering I only have one eye that actually...works. Plus they're relatively cheap. I'd suggest switching over. They usually take up less space, as well, so that's nice.

...I could try to find larger ones at a decent price, if you like?

Sure go ahead, i just might have to buy one at walmart since the nearest best buy here is 50+ miles away.

Also for the PC monitor, have to buy a new one of those since my last two has started to go out on their own.

Enforcer MKV
May 27, 2013, 06:39 AM
Sure go ahead, i just might have to buy one at walmart since the nearest best buy here is 50+ miles away.

Also for the PC monitor, have to buy a new one of those since my last two has started to go out on their own.

...Right, I'll look there. *starts humming "Why can't we be friends" as he looks.*

EDIT: Hrm...any idea as to a budget? That'd give me a better idea of what to look for. Also, if your computer is new enough, it could have an HDMI slot that would allow you to just hook your computer up to the TV as a monitor. It might require moving some things around (Since I don't know your layout, can't judge how viable an option that is) but it's something to consider. Having both your consoles and PC in the same location is pretty nice, just have to switch lines. Television should behave similarly. (Been ages since I watched TV, not completely sure.)

Aeris
May 27, 2013, 07:18 AM
Well no, no set budget yet atm and i run a laptop, i no longer have a desktop currently atm and yes my laptop has a HDMI slot but no tv/monitor in my room has a HDMI slot to use it on.

Shadowpawn
May 28, 2013, 01:21 AM
Well, I guess Sony is the only real gaming console of the next gen.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2013, 01:23 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/534faccc48e9572eed5febca75fbc31c/tumblr_mnhqr3ecRh1rr47ejo1_500.jpg

Shadowpawn
May 28, 2013, 02:11 AM
The WiiU doesn't have any games that interest me at the moment. The only good exclusives on it is ZombieU, RE:Revelations and the upcoming Bayonetta 2. That's the WiiU biggest problem, it's lack of third party support. I've played enough Marios and Zeldas in my lifetime so those aren't big draws to me anymore.

Kent
May 28, 2013, 03:16 AM
Great first-party gaming lineup?

...Where?

Well, I guess Sony is the only real gaming console of the next gen.
Considering that both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have yet to really reveal what they've got in store for games outside of Generic McFPS, sports and racing... I'd say it's best to wait on making such a hastily-silly judgment. Especially one that asserts a company is a gaming console.

Shadowpawn
May 28, 2013, 10:34 AM

...Where?

Considering that both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have yet to really reveal what they've got in store for games outside of Generic McFPS, sports and racing... I'd say it's best to wait on making such a hastily-silly judgment. Especially one that asserts a company is a gaming console.

How is it a silly argument? You already know that the PS4 is going to have certain franchises like Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted (and by that extension the Last of Us.) You don't have to have an "always on connection" to even play games on the thing offline. It's also not likely that Sony will make you subscribe for two years to a cable company for a subsidized price.

With Microsoft making a gambit for people who don't even play games, and Nintendo's only potential promise is a strong first party line up that you may or may not care about depending on long you've actually been gaming I'd Sony is looking good right now even with spare details.

I'm not the only that thinks this either, tech blogs and video game magazines echo this very same sentiment. Hell I was just listening to the giantbomb podcast where they were talking about this very thing.

Nameh
May 28, 2013, 08:19 PM
I'm kinda picky on the way consoles look. I must say that the Xbox One looks like a Directv box. I wonder what happened to the xbox's unique curve that it used to have.

Powder Keg
May 28, 2013, 09:05 PM
I've always been the same either way..... good games = want system. Simple as that.

I will say that I would prefer one console to be comfortably on top worldwide, so we see the best selection of games. I think Xbox being on top for so long over here in the US and the PS3 being the better of the two in Japan hurt a lot, in a number of ways.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2013, 09:11 PM
SERVER DOWN TIME TO START CONSOLE WAR BATTLE

So kent, you shut yo sassy mouth, Nintendo games don't like u either! D<

edit: But nah I'd say, xbone had the right idea, but they did everything wrong. Wasn't nintendo always selling better... for being nintendo?

So everyone else is getting their money off of gamers... But how much are gamers compared to everyone else in the world. so why make JUST a videogame console right?

But then there was television, getting spied on and calling yourself a videogame device at a videogame conference thingie didn't help.

So yeah, common thought by default = PS4 > XBONE, and because "real gamers" hate nintendo PS4 > Wii-U > XBONE. But if PS4 doesn't get any great exclusives... you may as well only be looking at PC and Wii.

ShinMaruku
May 29, 2013, 06:19 PM

...Where?

Well when you look at first party Sony's first party is much bigger and more well known so it's not quite so hasty to assume that.

Kent
May 29, 2013, 09:29 PM
Well when you look at first party Sony's first party is much bigger and more well known so it's not quite so hasty to assume that.
It's plenty hasty to assume that still - because past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance. A great example is looking at Nintendo consoles... And then the Wii.

Even if you were to use past performance as the sole indicator of your judgment, well, you can also look at how the current generation got started. The early stumbling of the PS3 did get dealt with, but consider the vast wealth of support its predecessors had that led up to that point, and how long it took for that to really get remedied.

It's worth mentioning that the PS3 exclusive lineup isn't necessarily more well-known or actually much bigger at all if you account for all of the XBLA/PSN games (and this is assuming you discount games that are shared with the PC but not with another console - of which there are approximately ten times as many on the 360 as on the PS3, according to a quick glance at Wikipedia), which is often also considered a source for some of the highest-quality games of the Xbox 360. Some people try to discount these due to not being games sold in physical retailers, but that's just silly. As far as first-party stuff goes... It's arguable, really, considering that a lot of people assume Microsoft's first-party lineup is smaller than it really is, just because outside of Halo/Forza/Gears/Fable, most of it is smaller, XBLA-targeted games that are actually of substantial quality on their own. They've always been more along the lines of a first-party publisher than a series of first-party developers, however, so a lot of it still comes down to how exactly you're counting that.

Simplified, the past performance of a company does not necessarily indicate the future performance. Similarly, just because Console A does X, Y and Z, while Console B only does X and Y, does not necessarily mean B will do X and Y better than A just by virtue of the fact that it doesn't have feature Z - that would be logically-incongruous, as would assuming A does X and Y better because it can do them in addition to Z.

So really, we don't have any evidence at this point, that suggests that one platform will be a better games machine than the other. We just know that the Wii U has an incredibly uncompelling lineup.

ShinMaruku
May 30, 2013, 02:24 AM
I don't see much wrong with Nintendo output their first party are among the best as well. Have they moved into areas where they can't sell to enthusiasts, sure that can be said but I would never say Nintendo's first party declined I just think their market declined.
The Wii U has many issues but Nintendo's first party is not one of them.

Kent
May 30, 2013, 04:53 AM
I don't see much wrong with Nintendo output their first party are among the best as well. Have they moved into areas where they can't sell to enthusiasts, sure that can be said but I would never say Nintendo's first party declined I just think their market declined.
The Wii U has many issues but Nintendo's first party is not one of them.
So... How many first-party games have been released for the Wii U, considering it's been on the market for six months now?

Outside of the two it launched with, Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U (which, realistically, aren't going to be system-sellers to anyone other than really hardcore Nintendo fans) and the smattering of Virtual Console titles... Has there really been anything else?

For what's supposed to be the system's strong point, it sure isn't making a very good showing.

gigawuts
May 30, 2013, 07:07 AM
Neither did the Wii, but the ones that did come out were absolutely top notch.

Code-red
May 30, 2013, 09:05 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUXxKU_HoqA[/SPOILER-BOX]

my friends and my opinion on the xbox one from what information we have so far are all in this video.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
So... How many first-party games have been released for the Wii U, considering it's been on the market for six months now?

Outside of the two it launched with, Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U (which, realistically, aren't going to be system-sellers to anyone other than really hardcore Nintendo fans) and the smattering of Virtual Console titles... Has there really been anything else?

For what's supposed to be the system's strong point, it sure isn't making a very good showing.

They already announced like
A shit load of 1st parties for 2013 and 2014.

People seem to forget that

Kent
May 30, 2013, 07:51 PM
Neither did the Wii, but the ones that did come out were absolutely top notch.
I did quite enjoy Brawl. Twilight Princess wasn't bad either, but I only ever played a small segment of Skyward Sword (since I don't personally own a Wii Motion Plus), which seemed like it was going in a good direction.

I'm trying to think of other Nintendo first-party fare on the Wii that could be considered "top-notch" though. I mean, I guess people have a generally-high opinion of the Super Mario Galaxy games, but they never actually presented themselves in a way that made me feel compelled to try them.

Metroid Prime 3 wasn't all that great, and Other M was... Decent enough as an action game, but so-bad-it-probably-killed-the-series as a Metroid game. Mario Kart is definitely not top-notch by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're lumping in games developed by third-parties and then published by Nintendo, I suppose there's Sin & Punishment 2, which absolutely is top-notch, but that's primarily because Treasure won't let themselves do otherwise.

So yeah. Calling Nintendo's first-party fare on the Wii top-notch is something I would say is hard to justify (unless I'm forgetting something in here, which I could be), but that's not to say the system didn't have its gems... They just weren't all first-party ones.

They already announced like
A shit load of 1st parties for 2013 and 2014.

People seem to forget that
Nobody here is forgetting that - it's just outside of the context of what was being discussed. First-party fare available right now on the Wii U makes the system a hard sell, considering that first-party fare is what people buy Nintendo consoles for in the first place (with the notable exception of the Wii, which, let's be honest, most people bought under the idea that they'd revolutionize gaming with motion controls...).

Meta77
May 30, 2013, 08:24 PM
I do not see why people are getting excited for FP nintendo games. We all know they are going to make them it just takes them time.

Vashyron
May 31, 2013, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM"] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

On the First Party side alone, release that plus SSB4 and they'll have my Money on buying the Wii U.

NoiseHERO
May 31, 2013, 12:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM)

On the First Party side alone, release that plus SSB4 and they'll have my Money on buying the Wii U.

MECHS...

THAT TRANSFORM!!!

WELP.

Outrider
Jun 3, 2013, 04:15 PM
So yeah. Calling Nintendo's first-party fare on the Wii top-notch is something I would say is hard to justify (unless I'm forgetting something in here, which I could be), but that's not to say the system didn't have its gems... They just weren't all first-party ones.

Let's be frank here - The Wii's first-party lineup includes two Mario Galaxy games, two Zelda games, two Metroid games, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, etc.

What they miss out on in terms of originality (and if an entire list of sequels doesn't confirm that, I don't know what does), they more than made up for it in terms of both quality and quantity. To argue any of those games weren't at the top of their field - in many cases both critically and commercially - is more than a little silly. Whether or not the Wii had a high-quality first-party lineup simply isn't a question worth entertaining at this point.

The Wii U's lineup though? It's pretty weak. I mean, Mario Bros U is fun and Nintendo Land is a great party game, but the lack of releases is hot garbage.

And let's not go counting games like UNTITLED SMASH BROS sequel and UNTITLED MARIO KART sequel as some kind of system sellers here. Until they actually exist in a publicly viewable format via trailers, screenshots or gameplay demos, their quality is entirely theoretical at best (even if we all know they will exist at some point and probably be at least halfway decent.)

NoiseHERO
Jun 3, 2013, 04:46 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/41ff0788c408e541b9f5eb309d8aac26/tumblr_mno2cqjDj71rvuidco1_r2_400.png

Wyndham
Jun 3, 2013, 05:15 PM
picture

*hands you an adorable puppy*

Kent
Jun 4, 2013, 01:59 PM
Let's be frank here - The Wii's first-party lineup includes two Mario Galaxy games, two Zelda games, two Metroid games, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, etc.

What they miss out on in terms of originality (and if an entire list of sequels doesn't confirm that, I don't know what does), they more than made up for it in terms of both quality and quantity. To argue any of those games weren't at the top of their field - in many cases both critically and commercially - is more than a little silly. Whether or not the Wii had a high-quality first-party lineup simply isn't a question worth entertaining at this point.
I would not personally say that Mario Kart, the Metroid games and New Super Mario Bros. Wii belong on the list of high-quality first-party games. I couldn't pass a judgment on the Mario Galaxy games or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Considering that what remains came over the course of seven years, I'd be hard-pressed to argue quantity in its favor - and, of course, this is even discounting that they barely delivered on the original selling point of the console in the first place (the motion controls - specifically within the context of games that use it well and are good).

I'm not saying that the system didn't have good games, but the library, including the first-party one, genuinely felt far from compelling.

gigawuts
Jun 4, 2013, 02:45 PM
I would not personally say

i do not personally care what you would personally say

those games were off the hook and blew my socks off way the fuck more than crackdown or halo 3 did

they were way more compelling and way more original than any first party or exclusive PS3 or xbox 360 titles

Kent
Jun 5, 2013, 05:42 AM
they were way more compelling and way more original than any first party or exclusive PS3 or xbox 360 titles
...lol

gigawuts
Jun 5, 2013, 07:46 AM
No, please, by all means, inform me of how halo 3 was a generation defining game.

I really want to read about this.

Unless your opinion is so inflated on the topic that you don't actually have anything to say but "lol."

Outrider
Jun 5, 2013, 03:08 PM
Okay, let's take a step back here, everybody.

If you're going to suggest that games like Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, or Mario Kart - with their excellent design and wide appeal - weren't top games in their genres (and in the case of Galaxy, top in the medium) that received massive critical and commercial success, you're only fooling yourself.

At the same time, if you're going to suggest that Halo 3 - with feature-rich gameplay, incredibly fun multiplayer, easy-to-use level editor, and integrated playback system - didn't massively affect the direction of AAA games this generation, then you are being foolish as well.

Let's just all accept that we are fools sometimes.

gigawuts
Jun 5, 2013, 03:31 PM
Turnabout is fair play - when people throw inane and stupid statements at me, I like to flip the exact same logic against them and see if they catch on to how daft their point has been.

I actually like all video games in discussion here - I just don't like it when people make dumb and generally false statements and say "my personal opinion" as though it pardons what's been said.

The first party titles on the wii were not only generally well accepted, but very good sellers, and received generally high scores - and there were a good number of them. I can't even think of any first party Microsoft titles that didn't have Bungie or 343 on the cover.

Outrider
Jun 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
The first party titles on the wii were not only generally well accepted, but very good sellers, and received generally high scores - and there were a good number of them. I can't even think of any first party Microsoft titles that didn't have Bungie or 343 on the cover.

Well, there's Fable and Forza, which still see regular updates. There are also the Kinect Sports games and their siblings.

There are also all the Rare games, plus Project Gotham Racing. (Shouldn't... Geometry Wars belong to Microsoft in that case? I guess not.)

I can't think of many other big brands that have been popping up regularly.

And actually, it looks like Wikipedia has a list of first-party brands owned by Microsoft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios#Owned_franchises_and_properties

A lot of the games listed don't really stand out, but there are also a fair number of big names that could excite some people if they came back.

I should say that if they announce a next-gen Blast Corps I will probably be picking it up on day one.

NoiseHERO
Jun 5, 2013, 05:20 PM
I should say that if they announce a next-gen Blast Corps I will probably be picking it up on day one.

I was so lost in that game as a kid.

yoshiblue
Jun 5, 2013, 05:45 PM
A shame rareware doesn't have most of their original members anymore. I wonder if Microsoft will respond to Allstars and SSB IV with their own version?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 5, 2013, 08:04 PM
My thoughts? 360 may well be the last console I've bought for a while. PC SO GOOD. WiiU feels like a Fisher Price toy, but I /possibly/ would get it for the SSB. Because I fucking love those games.