PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good idea to main Fighter and sub force?

MegaMettaurX
May 27, 2013, 04:09 AM
I like melee classes and all, but I really don't want to main a melee class then sub a melee class as well.

Zettabyte
May 28, 2013, 02:26 AM
I'm no expert on stat optimization or anything, but I've played my fair share of HuFo, so here's my professional opinion on the matter.

First, realize one thing: if you're planning on keeping pace at endgame, this is probably not the best idea for a main (though it'll make leveling Hunter up to max a hell of a lot more tolerable). You don't really have enough S-Atk or T-Atk to keep pace with HuFis or Fo... whatever Forces subclass these days. Also note that you'll have to either end up essentially wasting skill points into S/T-Atk Up skills or build a very focused mag to be able to equip the high-end items (I'd highly recommend testing your build on the Skill Calculator (http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php) and comparing it to the high-end equipment's requirements (http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/weapon_01.php#10) to make sure you're not going to accidentally gimp yourself late-game).

So, warnings aside, what are the good things about a build like this? You can pack Resta and Anti, and kiss Monomates and Sol Atomizers goodbye (though I personally keep higher-denomination *mates around for safety purposes). If you're incredibly cheap like I am, that's an advantage. It also allows you to support yourself with Shifta and Deband (mostly Shifta), so if you're used to soloing or using Friend Partners, this might be a good thing.

I've also found, at least in my experience, playing HuFo makes me feel more careful. I tend to withdraw faster to make sure I'm always topped off; that might change when I can afford Iron Will, but right now I don't know.

tl;dr: HuFo's fun, and good for soloing since you can heal yourself. Use it to level Hunter to max and/or unlock Fighter, then play FiHu for a while. Don't use it in serious endgame play or people will probably laugh at you.

Lumpen Thingy
May 28, 2013, 02:45 AM
I would advise either subbing fighter and maining hunter or playing fi/fo or fo/fi over hu/fo any day

UnLucky
May 28, 2013, 04:25 AM
Hunter can more than double a Fighter's damage output, plus allows for more usable weapons (well not the weapons themselves, but the PAs for them). You'll have stronger melee than non Hunter or Fighter mains, though.

However, Fighter boosts tech damage so you will be almost as strong as a pure teching class.

If you really don't want to focus purely on one damage type, Fi/Fo is pretty good.

dr apocalipsis
May 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
After I got my Umbla rod (finally) I'm leveling my Fi subbing Fo.

Even when damage output isn't bad, this hybrid have a serious problem of PP starvation. It can be a damage monster on MPA, but will suffer in small parties and soloing. Also, it's a crystal cannon.

Lostbob117
May 28, 2013, 03:28 PM
Are you having fun with it? Your answer to this question is the answer to your question.

Lumpen Thingy
May 28, 2013, 03:50 PM
Are you having fun with it? Your answer to this question is the answer to your question.
saying shit like that is what makes gunner/techers so just stop it lol

Lostbob117
May 28, 2013, 04:54 PM
saying shit like that is what makes gunner/techers so just stop it lol

So you're just gonna say to stop having fun on the game? If it's fun then do it.

Lumpen Thingy
May 28, 2013, 05:47 PM
So you're just gonna say to stop having fun on the game? If it's fun then do it.

I'm sure by this statement you just spawned at least 2 gu/tes and maybe a tank gu/hu. Nice going

Lostbob117
May 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm sure by this statement you just spawned at least 2 gu/tes and maybe a tank gu/hu. Nice going

As long as they're having fun.

UnLucky
May 28, 2013, 08:27 PM
But any party they join doesn't have fun.

That's approximately 8% overall fun efficiency.

MegaMettaurX
May 28, 2013, 08:27 PM

I wouldn't know if I'm having fun with it or not. I don't have Fighter unlocked, nor is my force leveled either.
But the reason I asked is because I don't want to waste my time with a stupid hybrid or build, then cause me to spend money unnecessarily.

Zettabyte
May 28, 2013, 11:34 PM
You could do a lot worse than HuFo for leveling Hunter, honestly. I'd say get your Force up to level 10 or 20, and then HuFo all the way until you unlock Fighter, since Fighter basically goes well with anything.

BlankM
May 29, 2013, 01:18 AM
If you do go Fi/Fo you can always just switch to Fo/Fi when you wanna go SRS MODE or something.

With proper gear, Fi/Fo can be pretty competitive with pure teching classes, but then there isn't much reason to melee. PAs like deadly archer take much more PP for the damage to be equivalent to say one zonde. However you can build for your melee to be stronger, allowing you to take down certain bosses a little faster. Utility is key here. Zondeel on a melee is good, and you'll still have good techs for bursts in AQs(Melee's in a burst without gunslash are kinda inefficient, though with cetus proi and AB this is not an issue)

So is it a good idea? Well its not ideal, but its worthwhile if you want a straight damage split between melee/techs with room for different builds and the ability to switch to Fo/Fi at any time. The only problem would be getting an Umbla Stick, so maybe play the new EQ and see if you get one.