PDA

View Full Version : The Powerboard has Arrived.

EsperJ
Apr 5, 2003, 03:27 AM
Yes an unexpected knock at the door and yet another special delivery-it was only yesterday I recieved my ACSII keyboard too!

Anyway, its here, its green (well mine is) and come with its own GC Adaptor.

Certainly will make it easier hitting those right keys in the heat of battle.

Hope you all recieve your Keyboards soon.

Deus-Irae
Apr 5, 2003, 04:28 AM
good news. for the UK! at least they are released (some of them anyways).

hopefully the folks in the US will be seeing theirs soon.

mine says: order complete and dispatched

so maybe they have some ready to go and another shipment due on the 11th...

no1
Apr 5, 2003, 10:53 AM
It sucks. It's just a rehashed DC keyboard (S1, S2, S3 keys that were used for the side menus) with a PC->GC adaptor. I could have ordered one of the adaptors off the net and used one of the many spare keyboards I have lying around. And I get the sticky key problem where it just keeps printing the same letter.

MadCowChuck_
Apr 5, 2003, 11:04 AM
Once again...the British have far outshone the American postal service! Bravo! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I hope the keyboard comes sometime soon...This "dispatched" thing better not be acruel joke by Datel http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kusanagi
Apr 5, 2003, 11:23 AM
Well Im glad to hear you got yours, congrats,.....Now im waitin for the 11th to role around to see what happens. Hopefully it will get here.

Joe-Azlin
Apr 5, 2003, 11:58 AM
well i want a keyboard so tell me how urs r doing and then i might buy 1 from datel. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord_Maroduer
Apr 5, 2003, 02:59 PM
I got my ASCII kboard a week before the releas.
Orderd from http://www.lik-sang.com, got it after 3days with EMS shipping. From Hong-Kong to Sweden in 3days thats fast.

Layrinn
Apr 5, 2003, 05:55 PM
On 2003-04-05 00:27, EsperJ wrote:

I'm glad to hear that they're starting to arrive.

The fact that the keyboard uses an external signal converter is somewhat surprising to me. Is there any chance you could post some detailed pictures of your new keyboard? Since I don't intend to buy one, I would be very interested in seeing some close-up shots, particularly of the key layout and the cable/signal converter.

Thanks in advance. =)

See you online!

Layrinn
Apr 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
On 2003-04-05 07:53, no1 wrote:
It sucks. It's just a rehashed DC keyboard (S1, S2, S3 keys that were used for the side menus) with a PC->GC adaptor. I could have ordered one of the adaptors off the net and used one of the many spare keyboards I have lying around. And I get the sticky key problem where it just keeps printing the same letter.

This is also pretty surprising. You're saying that the Datel keyboard has the sticky key problem?!? Tell us more, please.

Davion
Apr 5, 2003, 06:28 PM
On 2003-04-05 08:04, MadCowChuck_ wrote:
Once again...the British have far outshone the American postal service! Bravo! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LOL. If that was true, it would be even funnier.

2Xtreme
Apr 5, 2003, 06:30 PM

So basically, Datel is bundling the Happy Fun Box with some cheap keyboard and selling it?

Layrinn
Apr 5, 2003, 10:17 PM
On 2003-04-05 15:30, 2Xtreme wrote:

So basically, Datel is bundling the Happy Fun Box with some cheap keyboard and selling it?

That's what I'd like to know! If so, then they're gonna have some trouble on their hands. Honestly though, I doubt very seriously that their signal converter is related in any way to my adapter. The two main reasons being:

1) They would be violating international copyright laws by using my design without my permission... they wouldn't be that stupid.

2) From what little I've heard about the perfomance of their keyboard, it sounds like it doesn't even work as well as my adapter. This is based on no1's report of sticky keys, and from a couple of people who have reported some significant latency between the keyboard and the game. That means not only would they have had to steal my design, they would have also had to break it in the process.

So yeah... I really don't think their design has anything at all to do with mine. It does sound like they need to hire better engineers, though. >.>
I wonder if I should send them a resume? ^-^;

Anyways, like I said before... it would be great some of the folks who have received their's already could share some more information with us. Post some pics! How does it feel? Any problems with it so far? Was it worth the wait and the $20? Don't hold back, now... tell us how you really feel. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Docpan
Apr 5, 2003, 11:47 PM
I'd get yours instead of the Powerboard, but I can't say no to that 20 dollar price tag.

DemonMaker
Apr 6, 2003, 11:12 AM
Got mine Saturday.
Sticky keys you say? Not on your life.
I'ts had plenty of key bashing All last night and this morning with not one problem from the datel item.

My recomendations
if you have 20 pounds GET IT
its a standard "semi-clear green" colour in "qwerty" key layout, which in my eyes beats the ascii one hands down, as for having it in a "dongle" design. makes it even better, as you can always connect up your fav old keyboard to it.

5 out of 5 stars

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonMaker on 2003-04-06 09:13 ]</font>

emoc0re
Apr 6, 2003, 11:14 AM
*sigh* ive had mine ordered since the day it came on the site and datel just seems to be pushing it back.. oh well ive waited this long i can wait a couple more days

Mello
Apr 6, 2003, 11:17 AM
Im might get a Datel Keyboard ... Yahoooo!

Derkin
Apr 6, 2003, 02:56 PM
So, they are sending them to their UK costumers first? So far anyone who said that got theirs is from the UK. *sigh* I'm not expecting mine within the week. I just hope it works.

Mello, I really hope you are French because "canadien" should be "Canadian" in English.

Rick-Renziku
Apr 6, 2003, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't really care if the keyboard was crap or not..I just need something to actually talk with and spam damn idiots who bash FOmar's because they melee insted of use magic alot.It really bothers me...*twitch*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rick-Renziku on 2003-04-06 13:10 ]</font>

Derkin
Apr 6, 2003, 03:12 PM
On 2003-04-06 13:08, Rick-Renziku wrote:
I wouldn't really care if the keyboard was crap or not..I just need something to actually talk with and spam damn idiots who bash FOmar's because they melee insted of use magic alot.It really bothers me...*twitch*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rick-Renziku on 2003-04-06 13:10 ]</font>

Thats when you cut off Shifta/Deband and Resta. Just cast it when they leave the room. That is what I do with my FOmar. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rob0148
Apr 6, 2003, 03:12 PM
even if i had a powerboard i cant go online:( everytime i go online it says, FAILED TO AUTHENTICATE PLEASE CHECK IF USER ID AND/OR PASSWORD ARE CORRECT. i have a modem adapter, can anyone help me?

crimson-omni
Apr 6, 2003, 03:37 PM
Hi, I got my Powerboard today and I must say that I am really annoyed at it. The board as already mentioned is a standard PS/2 (PC) keyboard with a convertor. However this convertor has a lot of problems such as lacency between hitting keys, keys sticking or just not responding at all, no matter how slow or fast you type.

If anyone still wants pictures then I could post some, I'm looking at the Happy fun box now just wondering where I can get the parts in the UK...

crimson-omni
Apr 6, 2003, 04:11 PM
if you are typing in your password with the keyboard then maybe it's a key sticking? try using the software keyboard for the password.

2Xtreme
Apr 6, 2003, 05:08 PM
It's starting to look like this Powerboard is just another cheap third-party electronic - you take a chance when you buy it, and you luck out if yours works fine.

Layrinn
Apr 6, 2003, 07:40 PM
On 2003-04-06 13:37, crimson-omni wrote:
Hi, I got my Powerboard today and I must say that I am really annoyed at it. The board as already mentioned is a standard PS/2 (PC) keyboard with a convertor. However this convertor has a lot of problems such as lacency between hitting keys, keys sticking or just not responding at all, no matter how slow or fast you type.

If anyone still wants pictures then I could post some, I'm looking at the Happy fun box now just wondering where I can get the parts in the UK...

Yes, please do post some detailed pictures.

I am working with someone based in the UK to regionalize my adapter code. It is currently set to the US region. It works fine with UK hardware as is, but a few of the keys will not produce output that matches your keyboard layout. We are also working to find some local (to the UK) parts distributors that you can use.

It's still free (and will continue to be so) to use my design to build an adapter for your own personal use. When ordering the parts from the same distributors I order from, each set of parts should run you less than US$20, not including a keyboard.

-Eden-
Apr 6, 2003, 08:18 PM
spam damn idiots who bash FOmar's because they melee insted of use magic alot.It really bothers me...*twitch*

Yes... another reason why I need the keyboard. Then there are also the she-male comments (*sigh* I didn't do the damn charecter designs).

Cabel
Apr 8, 2003, 06:51 AM
Mine came today, and I haven't noticed any of the problems people have been mentioning. It's not the most substantial keyboard in the world but it does the job, and though I'm probably not the fastest typer I haven't noticed any of the 'lag' mentioned. The only problem is that what some of the keys say isn't what they actually do. Try to type ' and you'll get @, you have to se shift to get it, the opposite way round to usual. There are some other things like this but all the letters you'll actually use are fine.

Layrinn
Apr 8, 2003, 05:18 PM
On 2003-04-08 04:51, Cabel wrote:
Mine came today, and I haven't noticed any of the problems people have been mentioning. It's not the most substantial keyboard in the world but it does the job, and though I'm probably not the fastest typer I haven't noticed any of the 'lag' mentioned. The only problem is that what some of the keys say isn't what they actually do. Try to type ' and you'll get @, you have to se shift to get it, the opposite way round to usual. There are some other things like this but all the letters you'll actually use are fine.

Which keys are mis-mapped? It sounds like they just used the JP signal configuration with a UK (or US?) key layout. You can test this pretty easily: put the game's language setting to Japanese then go online or start an offline single player game. Hold down the Alt key and type something. If you get the funky PSO font, then the keyboard is configured as a JP device. I know that you can't produce that font with a keyboard configured as a US device, so I would assume that it only works for the JP configuration.

I've been wondering about this "lag" people are talking about... Can the people who are having this problem describe it a little more?

Is there a delay between when you press a key and the character appears in the lower left corner of your screen? Or does the delay occur between when you press enter and the message actually shows up in your character's chat bubble? If it's the first case, then the problem actually is in the keyboard or its adapter circuitry. If it's the second case, then you're probably experiencing network lag and it doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard.

Just a thought...

Spazkouski
Apr 9, 2003, 02:46 PM
We'll my keyboard came through the other day, but it was totally buggered, all the keys were messed up and kept turboing and messing up. so i ring up datel customer services and they tell me to send back the adapter and that there has been a batch that has been crap or something, so others of you may have the same problem, a faulty adaptor.

But the keyboard: seems quite plasticy and the adaptor thing is a bit tacky, definately not as nice as the DC one, but if it ever does the job..... then i'll be happy.

damn datel

RuinedReBirth
Apr 9, 2003, 04:20 PM
Don't ask me why...I got scared since the website for datel never worked...

http://www.datel.co.uk
http://www.codejunkies.com

Just a bit jumpy.

EDIT: Nevermind! I must've been on crack to think they were down...It's just loading really REALLY slow... Also, I can't check the status... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuinedReBirth on 2003-04-09 14:23 ]</font>

QuickJim
Apr 10, 2003, 03:20 AM
On 2003-04-09 12:46, Spazkouski wrote:
We'll my keyboard came through the other day, but it was totally buggered, all the keys were messed up and kept turboing and messing up. so i ring up datel customer services and they tell me to send back the adapter and that there has been a batch that has been crap or something, so others of you may have the same problem, a faulty adaptor.

But the keyboard: seems quite plasticy and the adaptor thing is a bit tacky, definately not as nice as the DC one, but if it ever does the job..... then i'll be happy.

damn datel

Hey Spaz, when did you get your keyboard? The reason I ask is mine came this morning (only ordered it 2 days ago, so was quite surprised). Hopefully they've sorted out this faulty batch problem.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to give it a whirl until tonight after work (and football).

Derkin
Apr 10, 2003, 04:11 AM
*sigh*

I hope these hit stateside soon. I mean, I ordered mine two weeks ago. I guess they are just getting them out the UK costomers first or international shipping is slooooow.