PDA

View Full Version : What have you played in the past that you miss?

blace
May 30, 2013, 05:44 PM
With the neverending improvement towards technology and the ever present developer that seeks to bring about changes to the industry, what games from the past that you have enjoyed would like to see live again?

Personally for me, I would like to have another chance to do another race in Tales Runner, which had sadly shut down the US/international servers in part of the developer wishing to squeeze more money from its playerbase.

It was a racing game that had borrowed elements from Mario Kart and combined them with marathon style races.

It introduced a unique cast that ranged from a 10 year old starlet to a guy that can only do things in reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09u9beG8rE

Ignore the poor compression and quality, this was the most I could manage at the time without taking more than a few days to upload. It was also recorded in chinese because, at the time, the character Rough was not available in the US version.He also didn't cost $12 to buy as the developers favored the east by making all characters obtainable through in game currency.

US version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIh0VDQ1LE

So what have you played in the past that you enjoyed and would like to see some iteration of in the future?

Also, Tales Runner for the most part isn't dead per se, as the Korean developers realize how much money they lost when they shut the servers down for the west, but that doesn't mean that they are managing the current game any better. Better yet, it's scheduled for a second closed beta test that was moved from january to 3rd quarter of this year.

Oh and the stage I recorded in was the most popular at the time, as the game could end seconds after coming out of the gate.

Sinue_v2
May 30, 2013, 06:43 PM
I kind of wish the servers for Alien Front Online were still online. It wasn't even that GOOD of a game, but it was simple arcadey fun that you could just loose yourself in for hours. I only bought it because my used copy of Seaman didn't come with a Mic, and AFO had one included because it had voice chat (over 56k, but still, you could hear noises that resembled voices and the occasional clear F-bomb). Turned out to be one of my favorite games on the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAWN2ozU3E

Cyron Tanryoku
May 30, 2013, 06:46 PM
Good games

blace
May 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
After rewatching those races, I don't remember how I put up with all that noise.

Randomness
May 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
Crystal Chronicles - I played the original a ton with my younger brother. So... mostly for nostalgia points.

Polly
May 30, 2013, 07:29 PM
Me and a childhood friend were Contra buddies growing up. Every new Contra game that came out, we made it our point to play it non-stop together and master the whole thing co-op start to finish. After Shattered Soldier came out, we sorta lost that because life gets in the way, so I now have no more couch co-op Contra buddies. :\

CelestialBlade
May 30, 2013, 07:39 PM
Side-scrolling adventure platformers like classic Castlevania and Metroid. Those were good times.

gigawuts
May 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Hm, the only thing I can think of that can't be gotten back now would be TF2 after a load of its tweaks, until the trading update which opened the floodgates for a massive amount of unbearably imbalanced weapons. Some were so horrible you never even once saw them used, others were so strong they needed multiple nerfs and STILL were the new main weapon of their respective class.

Kent
May 30, 2013, 08:14 PM
Phantom Dust.

If you need me to explain the significance and majesty of this game to you... You have my pity, but should you decide to discover it, you have such a wonderful journey ahead of you.

It was a game for the original Xbox. Lead designer was Yukio Futatsugi, the same one as behind Panzer Dragoon (and you can tell by how lovingly-crafted and deep-feeling the game world is). Boiled down, it's effectively a 2-to-4-player arena-based competitive game. The twist: You customize every aspect of what you're capable of doing in combat through a TCG-style system, where you have a deck with 30 abilities in it, and you acquire and use these in real-time combat against your opponent(s).

True to the TCG-like nature, strategy and a little bit of luck goes a long way - but in possibly the best interpretation of a system like this within the context of a video game, all of this is happening in real-time, in highly-destructible 3D environments. The sheer mass of interplay between abilities lends itself an appropriately-insane amount of potential for incredibly-diverse strategies and applications for various individual skills, to the point where it actually feels on-par with actual trading-card games. Any relatively-lower depth perceived by looking at the mechanics on paper is immediately counterbalanced by the fact that you're running around, jumping and using these abilities in real-time and three-dimensional environments.

Since Xbox Live for the original Xbox is no longer in service though, you can't play the game online any more unless you're doing the system-link tunneling thing, though there is local multiplayer as well (but then there's the fact that the TCG element is highly-susceptible to screen-looking, of course). Luckily, the game does feature a substantial amount of single-player content, as it does feature a complete story mode (that can be quite challenging near the end), for which the game is worth getting, anyway. It also does work (outside of online play, of course) on a 360.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCWLuJWTgfg

...Also, I sure wouldn't mind something like PSO happening again. It seems like everything that comes out that's similar enough is either a generic Diablo clone, is free-to-play with a huge mess of microtransaction nonsense and/or relies too much on an incredibly-terribly-designed crafting/resource gather mechanic for it to really be much fun at all or even capture the same feeling. Apparently, just third-person, well-paced and nuanced hack-and-slash non-component-gathering lootfest action in semi-random areas is just too much to ask.

Palle
May 30, 2013, 08:35 PM
.hack//fragment, and by extension, The World R:1.

Sank quite a few hours into Rising Force Online while everyone else was into Blue Burst. I think there are still free servers running somewhere in the Phillipines, but yeah, sometimes I still get an itch for that adrenaline rush right at the kickoff of chipwar.

Retehi
May 30, 2013, 11:57 PM
Good ol 90's action movie inspired side scrollers. Streets of Rage/Final Fight etc. Can't stand the over the top stuff these days that look like a japanese game show. Just vigilantes cleaning up urban scum, what more could you ask for?

I'd also like a new Shining Force game.

gigawuts
May 31, 2013, 07:05 AM
I was actually initially going to mention traditional side scrollers, but figured I can just go back and play the same ones I always loved.

But, I'd like to see some new ones that don't make me feel like I'm missing out on dynamics or extra content made possible by other dimensions. Super Meat Boy is still a nice game for its simplicity, if you're into the die-a-thousand-times-in-one-level genre of games.

The feeling of discovery and introduction to new content is pretty great, though, and if I could get an extension of any single game's feeling as you play through it the first time I'd have to go with Portal. They put a pretty good amount of work and thought into the mild twists in the game's story, mixed into some nice puzzles.

Tetsaru
May 31, 2013, 12:03 PM
For me:

- 3D "overworld" platformer games (Super Mario 64/Galaxy, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.). I'd LOVE to see LittleBigPlanet go in this direction someday.

- F-Zero. Hasn't been a new one since the Gamecube. Oh, and give me some awesome machine and track editors so I can build some crazy shit. :razz:

- A GOOD Starfox game, like the N64 one, where there were multiple paths you could take and your actions played a role in it. And you can never have enough "DO A BARREL ROLL!" :wacko:

- A new Puzzle League/Panel De Pon style game, with some new innovative twists.

- I know Pokemon X/Y is coming out in October, but I would LOVE to see a large-scale Pokemon MMO that encompasses all the areas from all the games, and lets players easily cooperate or compete together.

- FF14... Beta Phase 3 needs to hurry up... @_@

Polly
May 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
Side-scrolling adventure platformers like classic Castlevania and Metroid. Those were good times.

There's lots of good ones being developed and released on the indie scene these days. xP PLAY SOME! :D

jooozek
May 31, 2013, 02:15 PM
all the good psx platformers i.e. good spyro and crash bandicoot titles
fuck jak and ratchet

Bambi Minaii
May 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
I miss paraper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Pm7BL-hyo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Pm7BL-hyo the rapper

jooozek
May 31, 2013, 03:57 PM
I miss paraperhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Pm7BL-hyo the rapper

not directly related but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRwaEwxraWw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRwaEwxraWw

redroses
May 31, 2013, 04:09 PM
I very much miss the Panzer Dragoon and Ecco the Dolphin games and would die of happiness if a new one came out. Oh, a new F-Zero would be awesome as well.

Edit: Let me still add Jet Set Radio!!

Sp-24
May 31, 2013, 04:43 PM
Devil May Cry games. And just good beat'em ups in general.

BIG OLAF
Jun 1, 2013, 12:11 AM
I'm surprised that no one has come busting in here screaming 'PSO!! ' at the top of their lungs whilst spraying vomit, blood, and feces everywhere...since apparently that was the best game forever and for all time.

....but, in seriousness now, I miss me some got-dam Vectorman and Streets of Rage. What happened, SEGA?

Blue-Hawk
Jun 1, 2013, 08:46 AM
- I know Pokemon X/Y is coming out in October, but I would LOVE to see a large-scale Pokemon MMO that encompasses all the areas from all the games, and lets players easily cooperate or compete together.

I've actually thought about that before. Would be a good idea, too. Even if Nintendo doesn't charge a monthly fee, they'd STILL make a killing with it. Would even outsell that pathetic excuse for a game called WoW.

Zeota
Jun 1, 2013, 09:07 AM
I liked the whole "Metroidvania" style of gameplay. I was upset that Prime was an FPS (though they didn't really call it that). I still preferred the old 2d side-scrollers but that's just me. Easily fixed by just firing up Super Metroid on my SNES emu though.

Then there's Mega Man, particularly the X series before Inafune left to work on Zero.

.Rusty.
Jun 1, 2013, 09:31 AM
I want a new wario platformer. The invisible character mechanic was pretty unique.

NoiseHERO
Jun 1, 2013, 09:35 AM
Megaman Battle Network/Starforce...

I'm like only dude in the world that cared that series exist. D:

AC9breaker
Jun 1, 2013, 09:39 AM
I've been playing Persona 3 PSP. Never played any of those games because I thought they where too weeaboo and by playing them I'd be infected with weeabooitis. But after giving them a shot, I was quite surprised at how enthralling they where.(so yes I have been infected with weeabooitis) Really looking forward topicking up a PSP Vita and PS4 Golden.

Also Valkyria Chronicles II. I love this series, wish they would have brought 3 over to the states.

Finally Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble. It's Yakuza lite for the PSP.

Zeota
Jun 1, 2013, 10:30 AM
Although technically not a game, the one thing I miss from days of yore.... CHEAT DEVICES!

Not so much for the "cheating" aspect, but more for getting at parts of a game that aren't accessible through normal means.

Wyndham
Jun 1, 2013, 11:39 AM
One series I miss the most is Bomberman. With Hudsonsoft gone, the lack of Bomberman is depressing to me.

Crazyleo
Jun 1, 2013, 12:11 PM
One series I miss the most is Bomberman. With Hudsonsoft gone, the lack of Bomberman is depressing to me.

There's a Bomberman game for the NDS that's pretty decent.

As for me; I miss games like Crystalis or the Ys series.

gigawuts
Jun 1, 2013, 01:02 PM
Oh, Sonic Battle was some really solid gameplay. I especially liked the player versus player link cable battling, had some hilarious fights with a friend.

Granted, you could get crazy OP, which is why they were hilarious. I absolutely slaughtered him...actually apologized after some of them too.

CelestialBlade
Jun 1, 2013, 01:18 PM
I liked the whole "Metroidvania" style of gameplay. I was upset that Prime was an FPS (though they didn't really call it that). I still preferred the old 2d side-scrollers but that's just me. Easily fixed by just firing up Super Metroid on my SNES emu though.

Then there's Mega Man, particularly the X series before Inafune left to work on Zero.
Yeah, Metroidvanias were a lot of fun, though I found I enjoyed it more in Metroids than Castlevania. I absolutely loved the CV series up through Symphony of the Night (CV4 is still one of my favorite games I've ever played, and I really enjoyed 3 as well), and then I started to highly dislike the atmosphere and art style change the series underwent. Metroid has remained pretty sacred though, Super Metroid still being one of the greatest games of all time for me, and I even enjoyed the different gameplay direction they took with the Prime series because they stayed true to the atmosphere.

Aside from the classics, I think the Zero series is still my favorite Megaman series. Every game was challenge (well, 4 was easy, but whatever), there was an actual ongoing plot that wasn't just hashed together when Capcom decided they should actually give a shit, no annoying horribly-voiced anime cutscenes, and THE SERIES HAD AN ACTUAL FUCKING CONCRETE ENDING instead of OH NO IT'S WILY/SIGMA AGAIN!!!!1. The last fight in Z4 is pretty awesome, even if it gets overquoted.

2D Platformers!

Have you checked out the Ys games that have come to Steam thanks to XSEED? I'm hoping they port over Seven and Ark of Napishtim as well. Love that series.

Crystalis was cool too.

blace
Jun 1, 2013, 01:50 PM
Megaman Battle Network/Starforce...

I'm like only dude in the world that cared that series exist. D:

I care, but since Capcom blamed its fanbase for lack of support, there's nothing we can do about it.

Also for the "Metroidvania", Cave Story is still free on PC and PSP. It's different from the former in a sense, but it does carry that tradition really well.

.Rusty.
Jun 1, 2013, 02:46 PM
Advance wars. Although there is that rumor that intelligent systems wanna make a new one and fire emblem sold really well.

gigawuts
Jun 1, 2013, 02:46 PM
If you liked Metroidvania exploration, check out Terraria. It DOES have some minecraft-esque mining mechanics, but the actual meat of the game is 100% exploration and hunting. VERY fun game. To this day it's one of the few where I've sat and played it for 10 hours a day, 7 days straight, without once feeling like I was grinding. If you make a small world you get all the rewards of a large world, just packed into a smaller space, making it much easier to stumble into (or it used to work this way - it may have been changed).

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any new content updates anymore - but not without good reason. The creator had a baby and decided to take care of the kid instead of devoting all his time to the game. If a game is ever going to stop being supported, you can't get a much better reason than the only guy running the show being a good parent.

jooozek
Jun 1, 2013, 03:59 PM
actually
terraria is about to receive a massive update in the next 1-3 months
here is a small preview of what the new update will bring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DkbaytG0A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DkbaytG0A
edit: welp, there we go

gigawuts
Jun 1, 2013, 04:34 PM
omigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh

That said, the later content felt a bit different compared to what the game had when I really got into it. Things like rocket boots, meat walls, etc. were things that I never really fully got into the game enough again to see.

-Crokar-
Jun 1, 2013, 04:48 PM
mega man is my favorite game series. the original the x series the z series. then there was battle network.. i remember first picking it up and thinking what the hell is this. still hoping for another mega man game doesn't matter which series as long as its not battle network.

hell my walls are light blue and dark blue...

NoiseHERO
Jun 1, 2013, 05:21 PM
mega man is my favorite game series. the original the x series the z series. then there was battle network.. i remember first picking it up and thinking what the hell is this. still hoping for another mega man game doesn't matter which series as long as its not battle network.

hell my walls are light blue and dark blue...

MAN U AIN'T HARDCORE, ANYBODY COULD LIKE X SERIES.

Wyndham
Jun 1, 2013, 07:00 PM
There's a Bomberman game for the NDS that's pretty decent.

I own that game. The Vita is getting an Ys game, by the way.
I also miss the metroidvanias, the Boktai series, F-Zero, old style Final Fantasies, and games Sonic games where you could play as Knuckles and wasn't characterized by rap music and tedious treasure hunting levels.

-Crokar-
Jun 1, 2013, 07:02 PM
well I may like the x series but the classic NES will always be my favorite. battle network just wasn't good ol mega man like he should be. it wasnt bad just not what they need. the game cube one however i rather liked network transmission?

i mean it wasn't bad just not my favorite i still own a few of them too

Nitro Vordex
Jun 2, 2013, 12:39 AM
well I may like the x series but the classic NES will always be my favorite. battle network just wasn't good ol mega man like he should be. it wasnt bad just not what they need. the game cube one however i rather liked network transmission?

i mean it wasn't bad just not my favorite i still own a few of them too
I never liked the NES ones, but I loved the X series. Best series. Also I loved Battle Network...but it should have ended at 3.

I'd like to see the Extreme-G series come back. I loved the 64 ones and I want them back. Need a good crazy racing game.

RenzokukenZ
Jun 2, 2013, 01:13 AM
Gauntlet on the Sega Genesis, with the 4-way controller split port that allowed my brothers and I to all play. Arguably my favorite co-op game ever.

I always rolled Thyra the Valkyrie. Dat defense :D

Blitzkommando
Jun 2, 2013, 10:10 PM
Honestly? I just want to play Deathmatch Classic or Opposing Force Deathmatch online again. They were simple, with lots of crazy stuff to do without being needlessly complex about it. Related, a proper sequel to Unreal Tournament 2004. UT3 was just awful in comparison. I'm grateful for the engine as it was the foundation for many of today's greatest games, but in and of itself? It was a flop. But, yeah, basically old school deathmatch is what I want.

Relatedly, I would love a proper Doom game that had the simple gameplay of the first games (lots of enemies and all you do is shoot them) rather than the mess we got with Doom 3 and LOLDARKDARKDARK BOOGEY BOOGEY BOO. In other words, a gritty and bloody foil to Serious Sam.

I had a thing for those type twitch shooters because I grew up with them and I'm always saddened that they've been pushed to the wayside in favor of Brown Warfare Battlefield Duty: Super Dog Edition. Sometimes I really do just want a mindless twitchy shooter.

Mike
Jun 3, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm not really a fan of rail shooters but Panzer Dragoon was good set of them. One was fun, two added multiple paths and dragons, and three was a diversion in to RPG territory but was still a great game. I know a fourth one came out on the Xbox but it didn't seem to capture me quite the same way the others did.

Gauntlet on the Sega Genesis, with the 4-way controller split port that allowed my brothers and I to all play. Arguably my favorite co-op game ever.
Red Warrior needs food badly. I believe Hammerwatch (http://www.hammerwatch.com/) on the PC might be an interesting replacement for it.

Wyndham
Jun 3, 2013, 08:26 AM
I'm not really a fan of rail shooters but Panzer Dragoon was good set of them. One was fun, two added multiple paths and dragons, and three was a diversion in to RPG territory but was still a great game. I know a fourth one came out on the Xbox but it didn't seem to capture me quite the same way the others did.

Red Warrior needs food badly. I believe Hammerwatch (http://www.hammerwatch.com/) on the PC might be an interesting replacement for it.

When me and my older brother were babies, and my dad was waiting for dinner, he'd say "red warrior needs food badly". My parents are awesome.

BlankM
Jun 5, 2013, 12:18 PM
There are a lot, but I really feel a game like XenoGears could use a revisit. The obvious problem of budget cuts towards the end of the game doesn't even cover half the potential that game is missing. The gameplay simply doesn't do the narrative justice.

gigawuts
Jun 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
Honestly? I just want to play Deathmatch Classic or Opposing Force Deathmatch online again. They were simple, with lots of crazy stuff to do without being needlessly complex about it. Related, a proper sequel to Unreal Tournament 2004. UT3 was just awful in comparison. I'm grateful for the engine as it was the foundation for many of today's greatest games, but in and of itself? It was a flop. But, yeah, basically old school deathmatch is what I want.

Relatedly, I would love a proper Doom game that had the simple gameplay of the first games (lots of enemies and all you do is shoot them) rather than the mess we got with Doom 3 and LOLDARKDARKDARK BOOGEY BOOGEY BOO. In other words, a gritty and bloody foil to Serious Sam.

I had a thing for those type twitch shooters because I grew up with them and I'm always saddened that they've been pushed to the wayside in favor of Brown Warfare Battlefield Duty: Super Dog Edition. Sometimes I really do just want a mindless twitchy shooter.

Man, this is a period of my gaming career I've all but forgotten about. The hours I spent on Unreal until UC2 and UT3 came out...at home, at school, all the freaking time. What a fun series of games, I'd love it if they had proper, modern sequels, and possibly even attracted the CoD crowd so it would warrant more hyper unrealistic sequels, ending the tyranny of "realistic" FPS's. Goo guns? Shock ball explosions? Jumping 30 feet and bouncing off 80 degree inclines? That was way more fun than the shit they put out today...