PDA

View Full Version : Hacker exposes rape, faces up to 10 years in prison.

Shadowpawn
Jun 7, 2013, 10:53 PM
http://freakoutnation.com/2013/06/07/leader-of-anonymous-steubenville-op-could-face-far-more-prison-time-than-the-rapists-he-exposed/

Keep in mind that's more than the rapist themselves, they only faced 2 years at the max. I don't even think he should be arrested considering that town tried to actually cover up the rape, which is in and of itself very disturbing.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about I'm referring to that incident with the members of a high school football team dragging a drugged girl around and raping her a several different parties.

Polly
Jun 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
Read about this earlier today and had to resist putting my fist through a monitor.

Shadowpawn
Jun 7, 2013, 11:00 PM
Read about this earlier today and had to resist putting my fist through a monitor.

I know right?

Like why even waste resources going after the guy after he did a good thing?

BIG OLAF
Jun 7, 2013, 11:02 PM
Because government puppets follow their nonsensical 'rules' instead of their actual common sense and basic human feelings of empathy. They can prosecute him too, and the state can make more money (potentially). So of course they'll go after him.

Blackheart521
Jun 7, 2013, 11:18 PM
The US Law System is messed up, if you don't go by the proper "methods" you become a criminal even if you stopped another, more severe crime, makes me want to spit in a judge's face.

Polly
Jun 7, 2013, 11:18 PM
I know right?

Like why even waste resources going after the guy after he did a good thing?

I'm honestly just flabbergasted over the ordeal. I take the notion that a computer hacker could spend more time in prison than a fucking scumbag, waste of fucking human existence rapist very personally.

CelestialBlade
Jun 7, 2013, 11:23 PM
I'm so fucking sick of rape being tossed around as some kind of misdemeanor. You fucking RUIN A WOMAN'S LIFE when you can't keep your stupid shit in your pants. Complete bullshit that a barely-criminal hacker gets prosecuted more severely than some selfish lowlife worthless scumbag who truly ruins lives and doesn't give a fuck about it.

It's completely ass-backwards and it's one of those archaic patriarchal statutes we haven't quite moved past yet. Infuriating when the true victim is lost in cases like these.

Sinue_v2
Jun 7, 2013, 11:39 PM
Because he had to break the law in order to bring the issue to light, and in this particular case, the penalties against the laws he decided to break are stiffer than the penalties for rape. I'm not saying it's not an injustice, but it should prompt us to re-evaluate sentencing vs. the severity of the crime in our court system... not to promote (or condone) vigilante justice as a legitimate alternative to law enforcement.

Blackheart521
Jun 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
Because he had to break the law in order to bring the issue to light, and in this particular case, the penalties against the laws he decided to break are stiffer than the penalties for rape. I'm not saying it's not an injustice, but it should prompt us to re-evaluate sentencing vs. the severity of the crime in our court system... not to promote (or condone) vigilante justice as a legitimate alternative to law enforcement.

That's kind of an issue when you can't help a victim of a crime unless it's your job to do so.

.Rusty.
Jun 8, 2013, 04:57 AM
I might be missing something but what did he actually hack? Pointing at some publicly made tweets and yelling look at these scumbags doesn't sound very hacky to me :/

Sinue_v2
Jun 8, 2013, 07:22 AM
That's kind of an issue when you can't help a victim of a crime unless it's your job to do so.

It's also kind of an issue when you set a precedent to allow citizens to break the law, so long as they feel the ends justify the means. What happens when hacker vigilantism goes wrong? Do we merely mitigate punishment when it turns a favorable outcome, but prosecute if they are wrong? So the whole damned system becomes a big clusterfuck of hind-sight being 20/20?

What if the people who started the rumor that Sunil Tripathi was the Boston Marathon Bomber had hacked his online accounts in order to pin him as the culprit. In the wake of Sunil's suicide, would those hackers have been deserving of prosecution? What if they were right, and Sunil really was the bomber? Would they have deserved prosecuted then, or would they have been heroes?

As it turns out in that case, Sunil wasn't the bomber, but even with no hacking involved - internet wanna-be sleuths with a hard-on for justice targeted him as the suspect... and his body was dragged out of the Providence River a few weeks later. Apparent suicide.

It may not be very popular to say at a time like this, but we are - and always have been - "a nation of laws, not men". The law isn't perfect, far from it. But that does not give citizens carte blanche to disregard those laws and take matters into their own hands whenever they feel justice hasn't been done.

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2013, 09:14 AM
I agree. This whole issue would be fine if the penalties for rape were appropriately severe. I don't condone vigilante justice myself as that's a slippery slope, but it should never be looked at as a more severe crime than rape.

UnLucky
Jun 8, 2013, 09:16 AM
Yes, illicitly seizing control of a public webpage and defacing it with God knows what (I'm sure goatse made his appearance somewhere) is completely justified vigilantism.

Now as long as we fill the jury with the involved rape victims, there's no way this do-gooder will serve a sentence.

Shadowpawn
Jun 8, 2013, 09:42 AM
I might be missing something but what did he actually hack? Pointing at some publicly made tweets and yelling look at these scumbags doesn't sound very hacky to me :/

Apparently he forced his way into their shitty football site and found some additional and damming info. As well as defacing it.

.Rusty.
Jun 8, 2013, 10:42 AM
Ah well that is kinda shity I guess but how the fuck does it deserve a SWAT team at your door and a potential 10 years.

gigawuts
Jun 8, 2013, 10:52 AM
Because they can't have people going around doing the right thing, it might get them caught and info about the NSA leaked.

Oh wait.

ShinMaruku
Jun 8, 2013, 01:24 PM
If one wants to do good it's best to do it and not be seen. Sometimes the true heroes are the ones you don't see. But everybody sees and feels their work

Meireles
Jun 8, 2013, 05:17 PM
I agree. This whole issue would be fine if the penalties for rape were appropriately severe. I don't condone vigilante justice myself as that's a slippery slope, but it should never be looked at as a more severe crime than rape.

Whole thing makes me sick. This is exactly how i feel.