PDA

View Full Version : Windows has encountered a critical error.

Ragingfury
Jun 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
So I've just started playing PSO2 but I keep receiving "WINDOWS HAS ENCOUNTERED A CRITICAL ERROR, WILL RESTART IN 60 SECONDS SAVE YOUR WORK" which forces my computer to restart. This sometimes occurs within 10 seconds after my character enters the world or after a mission is complete. Needless to say, I haven't been able to make much progress ingame because of this problem. I've spent hours trying to fix this error but I've finally run out of ideas. I found one google search that led me to someone who had a similar error (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-patch-12122012/) but it doesn't seem like any solution was posted. Has anyone encountered this and or found a fix? Any help would be appreciated.

BOSSPSO2
Jun 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
I remember having a problem like this before, it basically says windows is shutting down and you basically can't do anything about it.

Here's a temporary solution that worked for me years ago. When it happens, press the start button, click run (or windows key+r) and type shutdown -a

Hope that works for you.

Ragingfury
Jun 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
I have actually been trying to use that command but even that seems to fail. Any other ideas?

BOSSPSO2
Jun 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
It only happens when playing PSO2, or other games?

You sure your computer is 100% clean, all drivers up to date etc.

You can try this, I found it on a website after searching your problem.

Just turn on your computer with F8 pressed.
Choose Safe Mode option.
Logon using your Administrator level user.
Next, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run...
Type MSCONFIG and click OK.
Go to the SERVICES tab and search for Gbp Service.
Uncheck it and click OK.
Restart and see if the problem is gone.

Ragingfury
Jun 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
This only occurs while I play PSO2 and my computer is 100% clean. I've also tried the Gbp Service but I could not find it. I'm sure others have had this problem, so I'm wondering how they managed to fix this.

BOSSPSO2
Jun 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
You say your computer is 100% clean, if you were to hypothetically install a fresh copy of Windows, are you sure you would encounter the exact same problem?

If it only happens with PSO2, perhaps it could be a video card driver issue/conflict. I don't know. You obviously tried updating your video card drivers and all that jazz, yeah?

BOSSPSO2
Jun 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
If you really just want to get on PSO2 ASAP, you could always install a fresh copy of Windows and transfer your PSO2 files from the Windows.old folder..just a thought if you're out of options. Don't rule out malware though.

Ragingfury
Jun 26, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm still seeking other alternatives that aren't as drastic as a fresh reinstallation. I don't believe malware is the cause because the only time this error occurs is when I run PSO2 and others before me have encountered this problem aswell. I'm curious as to why this error occurs at different times during gameplay. Could it possibly be a memory or overheating issue? It doesn't seem to be hot when I check though.

Ragingfury
Jun 26, 2013, 03:55 PM
I do not believe I have any of those. Do you have any that you would recommend?

I was also under the impression that the computer would immediately shut down if it started getting too hot rather than allow me to have a minute to save.

Excelstra
Jun 27, 2013, 03:53 PM
I think there was some setting in the controlpanel somewhere that allowed you to turn off restarts on errors.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm
Not sure if that helps though.
Could be a rare driver related problem I guess. Uninstalling it, driversweeper and then installing it fresh could help.

If it would be heat, I would find it strange that it only happens in PSO 2 though and that the restart isn't right away or the pc hangs.
I use a program called HWMonitor to see temperatures etc. You could run PSO 2 in windowed mode and see if anything goes really high once you start it. If you know your hardware you could google the max safe temperatures then.

Ragingfury
Jun 27, 2013, 05:16 PM
Alright, I'll try your fix as soon as I can then. It seems like it might fix this. Here's hoping it works!

Psycl0ne
Jun 27, 2013, 06:38 PM
I use to get that once in a while, all I did was update all my drivers and my catalyst(amd)

I also went into my computers advance system settings go to where it says startup and recovery, open it's settings and click where it says "automatically restart" to remove the check mark... restart the computer and play the game to see if you get that anymore.

Ragingfury
Jul 8, 2013, 01:09 PM
Alright, so I finally got free time after 2 weeks or so but it seems like disabling "automatically restart" didn't help. I hear that it prevents restarting when a blue screen occurs but this isn't what I'm getting. Any other ideas? I'm thankful for all the support I'm getting.