PDA

View Full Version : Guide Advanced Quests: General strategies and tips

Kayarine
Jul 4, 2013, 06:46 AM
This hopes to list tips for making Advanced Quest (AQ) runs more efficient. Also, many Japanese pick-up groups expect participating players to know and follow these strategies, so it may be useful to use in tandem with this list of JP party descriptions (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-6EPpXyDuBk1eKasUxM_9vlkSDFn5cMkZ79dxXtUBQA/edit?pli=1) (credit to Z-0 for the sheet.)

Please note, it's not required for you to follow this. This is just to help those who like optimizing runs (or have demanding party members!)

Suggestions and corrections are welcome.

------------

Introduction
What are Advanced Quests?
They're special quests available to level 45+ players. They don't have different difficulties (at least at the moment,) all enemies start out at level 56 and cap at level 60.

You need 10 Advanced Capsules (アドバンスカプセル) to do one AQ. There are A, B and C capsules. Different AQs require different capsules.
AQs drop capsules as well. Which ones they drop depend on the ones required to start the quest. A caps requirement = drops B caps, B caps req = drops C, C caps req = drops A caps.

AQs are different from other quests in that they have a "risk" feature. They also won't respawn defeated enemies, so once you clear a spot of enemies, they're gone for good.

How do I get started?
First, you need to be at least level 45. Then, speak to Koffee. She should give you 10 Advanced Capsules A, which you can use to run either forest, tunnels or city AQ.

If after that you don't have enough capsules to run any AQs, you need to buy some from the item shop. A capsules cost 50,000 meseta, B costs 60,000 and C costs 70,000.

As you can see, they're not cheap, so try to not run out of capsules. Join a party or use friend partners for more spawns to ensure you'll get enough caps through drops.

What is risk?
Risk goes up by 1 for every time you complete an AQ. When the party leader's risk is high enough, enemies will be higher level and chances of them being infected are higher, as well as making rare bosses appear more often. Each AQ has individual risk.

However, after exactly one week from the time you had 1 risk for that particular AQ, it'll reset back to 0.

Party leader's risk affects enemy levels as follows: For each 3 risk they have, enemy level goes up by 1. Therefore:
0-2 risk: Level 56 enemies
3-5 risk: Level 57 enemies
6-8 risk: Level 58 enemies
9-11 risk: Level 59 enemies
12+ risk: Level 60 enemies

Why should I do AQs?
One big reason is to collect pyroxenes, which are used in the Rare Stone Shop (http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/shop_05.php#shiny) (shop area of lobby, 2F) to obtain 10* weapons by trading in 90 pyroxenes and a specific weapon. Each AQ drops different pyroxenes, so depending on which weapon you want, you'll have to run a specific AQ.

Another reason is the enemy levels. Currently, you can only find lv 56+ enemies in AQs. This means they have drops that can't be obtained anywhere else at the moment, or in the case of enemies that can appear as lv 51-55, they have higher rates for those drops.
They also give high exp if you're not too low level (46+).

And finally, increased appearance rates for infected and rare bosses. If you're looking for a specific rare PA/tech disc or to complete a CO, AQs are pretty helpful.
[/spoiler-box]

Starter Tips

Risk and parties
When in a party, the party leader's risk is the one that applies to the AQ. So, commonly the member with the highest risk becomes leader. Make sure to check everyone's risk before starting an AQ! (If you're in a Japanese party, see here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-6EPpXyDuBk1eKasUxM_9vlkSDFn5cMkZ79dxXtUBQA/edit?pli=1), scroll down. [Credit to Z-0 for the spreadsheet])

Stick together for more enemies
Because enemies won't respawn, it's important to not split up or wander too far away from the party. Amount of spawns depends on how many people are present, so if you spawn less enemies than you could have, you can't fix it.

Exploiting elemental weaknesses triggers PSE bursts more easily
This is more practical for tech users, but every little bit helps.

Completing emergency codes makes enemies disappear
This is important to remember since there are no respawns in AQs. Make sure to kill all the non-EC enemies before completing the EC. (Check the icons in your radar if it's a Code:Attack.)

Mining and collect emergency codes take too long
They usually require you to backtrack or otherwise go out of your way, and that's no good if there are no spawns in the way. The reward for those codes don't justify the time taken unless it's a red code. Most parties ignore them, except in some cases.

Killing additional enemies in boss rooms may be good
The additional enemies in boss room, often called "adds" or "trash", can also drop capsules and rare items. They're limited spawns as well, so your party may choose to get rid of them before focusing on the boss. Check what your party wants to do, and if you choose to kill adds, have someone pull the boss away while everyone else kills them.

Strategies

Capsules and time
If you're just looking to farm a weapon off a boss or an area2-exclusive enemy, you can just kill in the way while heading to the exit without exploring dead ends until you get where you want. It speeds up the run but it still nets you some caps so you can get at least 10 per run. This can also be useful if you want to build risk first before farming.

Corner bursts
- All players should stay close together and next to a wall. It'll make everything spawn in a more limited area, which will make them easier to hit with Additional Bullet and talis Zondeel.

- Get to a corner/dead end before the burst starts. Run while the PSE burst chance is up, then kill some enemies nearby to trigger the burst.

- If you bursted on accident and are too far from a corner, try to stick close to a wall in order to avoid enemies spawning behind you or all over the place. Avoid running if a corner is too far, because there'll be few spawns if many enemies are left alive.

Using Telepipes to avoid partial spawns
If the party gets split up by a Funji or tornado, telepipes can be used to regroup without triggering spawns with less than 4 people. In the case of a Funji, have the remaining 3 people pipe back to campship, then the person that got captured throws a pipe for them to come back.

Funji would waste too much time with backtracking (Thanks to Z-0 for this strategy)
Depending on where the Funji appears, the party can pipe back and the person who got caught dies and comes back. The party doesn't need to waste time backtracking like this, unlike the above strategy.

Continuous spawns from emergency codes
((Note: This strategy takes too long. It may not be optimal if you're able to repeat runs of the same AQ.))
Some emergency codes spawn enemies, like Baize destruction, mining and barriers in volcano. This can be utilized to your advantage if you don't complete the codes and just keep killing the enemies. It can trigger bursts if you do it for long enough. Baize in particular may be good, because after the explosion and poison rain, there might be a higher chance of bursting since it causes weather afterwards.
For mining, split up and have each person camp near a drill to kill the spawns.

Area-specific info
Thanks to sibladeko (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3017806&postcount=14) for this section and Blimpz (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3018274&postcount=22) for the additions about RA/HU and bow BR/HU.

Forest
There are some parties that will literally skip the entire first area and not kill anything along the way, because no Garongos will spawn in the bursts. Otherwise, this is probably the best area to just farm B Caps and experience in general. Usually no party restrictions.

I've found both RA and BR to be good here. Kamikaze Arrow can one-shot Garrongos if hit on the head and don't have corruption. RA can WB them if the group is undergeared.

Volcano
Least done on my ship, because the maps are just too large and spread out. Generally no party restrictions because people are begging for members in general.

Desert
Best place for A Caps, and honestly, best place for bursts if you're a FO, I've gotten up to like 100 caps in a run here. Also generally nice enough drop wise that people running it won't have class requirements.

[s]RA is incredible for bursts with a good launcher and cluster bullet. With a lv3 50 lightning Signo Launcher I am able to get PB with one cluster. Unconfirmed if Cluster Bullet is still good outside of exit bursts, which are now impossible to do.

(Coatl (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3017968&postcount=18)'s note: HU/FI and GU are pretty terrible at exit bursting in desert [because Additional Bullet doesn't hit Spardan and Spargun's weak spots] while only FO/TE and RA/HU have no problems there.) Unconfirmed as well.

Tunnels
Sort of ass for non-FOs, no easy weak points and enemies with more HP than Desert. Not a frequently done stage.

Cluster Bullet is just as good here for bursts as in desert with the recent addition of Gilnas/Gilnach head weak points. Unconfirmed.

Tundra
Not very good for bursts, but probably best place for C caps if you don't have a specialized party. A cap farming cycle party will generally do Forest -> Tundra -> Desert

Floating Continent
A jump into area 3 means the boss is Cater, no jump means it's Quartz. I believe this is the only area that forecasts the boss this way. Generally people will kill mobs on Quartz (everyone goes in together) and spawn no mobs for Cater.

City
Talis a must, not only that, you will be specifically told to NOT pop Zondeels. This is because bursts with mantis are extremely deadly if not properly contained. Popped Zondeels don't do enough damage and will likely result in teleporting OHKOs on your party. Unconfirmed outside of exit bursts. If mantises are an issue, try Gifoie or Nagrants.

BR is solid choice here. Kamikaze Arrow can one shot pretty much everything here if hit on the weakpoint. As RA during non-bursts, I recommend using a gunslash with Additional Bullet instead. Launcher is too slow for trash here and can often result in death.

Ruins
Frequently Tech-user only parties, everything else kills too slow to set up effective bursts. I believe crab bursts only spawn in area 2.

Just like in City, BR is really good for single targets. RA is by far the better choice for bursts here (between BR and RA) since Torrential Arrow is fairly weak against crabs and Kuklos/Cyclos.

Sanctum
Nothing noteworthy.

Shinamori
Jul 4, 2013, 07:18 AM
The actual level drop for AQ stuff is 51+. In the Sanctum TA, you can get a Dragon Slayer. In the current Burning Rangers EQ, you can also get some AQ drops.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 4, 2013, 07:39 AM
Baize in particular can be good, because after the explosion and poison rain, there's a higher chance of bursting.

Any proof on this? First time I hear of it ;o

Z-0
Jul 4, 2013, 07:41 AM
Well, all weathers increase the frequency of PSE effects, and I'm assuming the poison rain from the Baize counts as weather, although I've never tried it.

---

When it comes to asking for peoples' risks in a game, I recommend asking like this: 皆さんリスクいくら?
To reply to a risk question (look for リスク), just say xです (with x being your risk number), and if you want to just tell them without them asking, say リスクxです.

For Funji, also, the general strategy is to pipe on the spot where the Funji spawns, and the person who gets caught dies and comes back. This saves on unnecessary backtracking depending on where the Funji spawns.

Kayarine
Jul 4, 2013, 07:41 AM
The actual level drop for AQ stuff is 51+. In the Sanctum TA, you can get a Dragon Slayer. In the current Burning Rangers EQ, you can also get some AQ drops.

That's what I meant by this:

This means they have drops that can't be obtained anywhere else at the moment, or in the case of enemies that appear in the Sanctum areas, they have higher rates for those drops.

There's a big difference in the amount of Dragon Slayers dropped in the TA and the AQ, and I think a lot of people do the TA daily.

I probably should word it more clearly though.
Edit: Edited the post.

Zenobia
Jul 4, 2013, 07:42 AM

Actually its 51-56 lvl 56 being some of the the AQ bosses btw and also the topic was about AQ's in general not TA and EQ.

Well as far as the TA Quarts go you are guaranteed a 100% spawn of him its not AQ where it is just a chance meeting.

Coatl
Jul 4, 2013, 07:51 AM
There's a big difference in the amount of Dragon Slayers dropped in the TA and the AQ, and I think a lot of people do the TA daily.

The amount of people who run sanctum TA vs the amount of people who run FC AQ is very large, and like zenobia says even if you do run FC AQ quartz dragon is not a guaranteed boss fight.

I just checked both quests and only 1 dragon slayer has dropped in each this week.

Kayarine
Jul 4, 2013, 07:56 AM
Any proof on this? First time I hear of it ;o

I don't have a video or anything, sorry. ^^; But the few times I tried it, there was usually a PSE boosting weather right after the poison rain cleared (rainbow lights in ruins, rainbow in city.) But the thing that makes it not so reliable is that if you kill too much during the poison rain, there might not be enough spawns left for a burst. I would like this to be tested more, to be honest. Not entirely sure on how the rain affects PSE.

When it comes to asking for peoples' risks in a game, I recommend asking like this: 皆さんリスクいくら?
To reply to a risk question (look for リスク), just say xです (with x being your risk number), and if you want to just tell them without them asking, say リスクxです.
Thanks! I'll add it to the other thread.

For Funji, also, the general strategy is to pipe on the spot where the Funji spawns, and the person who gets caught dies and comes back. This saves on unnecessary backtracking depending on where the Funji spawns.
Ahh, I see. I guess this depends on the party since the only one I've been in prefered to destroy it instead of suiciding.

The amount of people who run sanctum TA vs the amount of people who run FC AQ is very large, and like zenobia says even if you do run FC AQ quartz dragon is not a guaranteed boss fight.

I just checked both quests and only 1 dragon slayer has dropped in each this week.
Yeah, it takes a whole lot more people running TAs to drop as many Dragon Slayers as FC AQ. I think there was a week with 10 DS in AQ and 1 or 2 in TA.

LonelyGaruga
Jul 4, 2013, 11:14 AM

There are items that drop at 51-55, and items that drop at 56-60. AQs are still the only place, outside of XQs, that have 56-60 drops, while Sanctum and Burning Rangers are the only non-AQ/XQ quests that have 51+ enemies. Advance Quests still hold a monopoly over a lot of stuff, and are almost always the best place to hunt items in, hence their importance and the importance of efficiency in them.

Now, about the guide...having already known most of this stuff playing with Kaya and other people, I find most of it to reaffirm that what I'm doing is correct, but the note on Funjis is particularly useful, as whenever I see a Funji, typically people don't know what to do and things get messed up. Without someone to take charge and give proper instructions, I had no way of knowing what to do. Now that I know the possible options, I understand what to do now. And, more importantly, this is certainly going to help a number of people. Thanks for posting this Kaya :3

Zenobia
Jul 4, 2013, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=LonelyGaruga;2998111]There are items that drop at 51-55, and items that drop at 56-60.

There are no such thing as 51-55 and 55-60. AQ's with enemy lvls at 60 is just where they cap at once you get you risk to 12, both enemies and bosses drop the rares you're looking for are 51-56 that is all.

LonelyGaruga
Jul 4, 2013, 01:24 PM
A drop table for 51-56 does not exist. Drop tables go in patterns of 1-5 and 6-10. AQs check the 51-55 and 56-60 table when checking for rares, which is why AQs have higher rare drop rates for items in the 51+ range. They generally appear on both tables, increasing the odds of being selected.

Kiosade
Aug 4, 2013, 09:13 PM
What level should I start doing these at?

Shiyo
Aug 4, 2013, 09:30 PM
Exit bursts are being nerfed.

sibladeko
Aug 5, 2013, 02:08 AM
Exit bursts are being nerfed.

Nerfed how exactly?
Can you elaborate, that's sort of worrisome.

Also random stage-specific errata, at least in my experience:
Forest: There are some parties that will literally skip the entire first area and not kill anything along the way, because no garongos will spawn in the bursts. Otherwise, this is probably the best area to just farm B Caps and experience in general. Usually no party restrictions.

Volcano: Least done on my ship, because the maps are just too large and spread out. Generally no party restrictions because people are begging for members in general.

Desert: Best place for A Caps, and honestly, best place for bursts if you're a FO, I've gotten up to like 100 caps in a run here. Also generally nice enough drop wise that people running it won't have class requirements.

Mines: Sort of ass for non-FOs, no easy weak points and enemies with more HP than Desert. Not a frequently done stage.

Tundra: Not very good for bursts, but probably best place for C caps if you don't have a specialized party. A cap farming cycle party will generally do Forest -> Tundra -> Desert

Skyland: A jump into area 3 means the boss is Cater, no jump means it's Quartz. I believe this is the only area that forecasts the boss this way. Generally people will kill mobs on quartz (everyone goes in together) and spawn no mobs for Cater.

City: Talis a must, not only that, you will be specifically told to NOT pop zondeels. This is because bursts with mantis are extremely deadly if not properly contained. Popped zondeels don't do enough damage and will likely result in teleporting OHKOs on your party.

Ruins: Frequently Tech-user only parties, everything else kills too slow to set up effective bursts. I believe crab bursts only spawn in area 2.

Altar: Nothing particularly special that I can think of.

Zipzo
Aug 5, 2013, 02:12 AM
The exit burst "nerf" is more of a fix if anything, and while it does cut in to the potential of exit bursts it still will not change the format of how a good group should approach a burst.

Essentially they are just removing the borders for which mobs cannot spawn past near the exits and entrances. This means mobs can spawn up in your grill, which hurts exit bursts because the best thing about them is that they spawn right in front of you in a nice little group to die.

This isn't going to change much about how you handle bursts though, you will still want to group, pick a spot and a direction, and fire off as much damage as possible. You'll just have the extra annoyance of mobs spawning on top of you now and then.

It might alleviate the need to consider running to an exit/entrance when a burst happens...which I guess is a microscopic perk.

Rien
Aug 5, 2013, 02:37 AM
It means there's now a reason to be a hu/fi because you can have a melee weapon ready when you need it.

Kayarine
Aug 5, 2013, 04:23 AM
What level should I start doing these at?
You can start doing them at lv 46 at 0-2 risk without an exp penalty. But if you're asking efficiency-wise, I'd say by the time you can equip a Lambda 9* weapon with 578 ATK requirement or a red weapon. Also make sure you have it grinded to +10. Then get a pyroxene weapon as soon as you can.

Nerfed how exactly?

http://i.imgur.com/GxUkL1A.jpg

Left is in the field, right is at an exit.
Blue is where the enemies cannot spawn, pink is where the enemies can spawn.

Top is now, bottom is later.

Thanks for the info! I noticed a few of these, but other things I had never noticed, like being able to tell if it's Quartz or Cater in continent.

Coatl
Aug 5, 2013, 11:54 AM
Best place for A Caps, and honestly, best place for bursts if you're a FO, I've gotten up to like 100 caps in a run here. Also generally nice enough drop wise that people running it won't have class requirements.

This is sort of misleading considering HU/FI and GU are pretty terrible at exit bursting in desert while I think only FO/TE and RA/HU have no problem there. 3: Everything else seems pretty spot on.

BlankM
Aug 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
Nerfed how exactly?

Forest: There are some parties that will literally skip the entire first area and not kill anything along the way, because no garongos will spawn in the bursts. Otherwise, this is probably the best area to just farm B Caps and experience in general. Usually no party restrictions.

Volcano: Least done on my ship, because the maps are just too large and spread out. Generally no party restrictions because people are begging for members in general.

Desert: Best place for A Caps, and honestly, best place for bursts if you're a FO, I've gotten up to like 100 caps in a run here. Also generally nice enough drop wise that people running it won't have class requirements.

Mines: Sort of ass for non-FOs, no easy weak points and enemies with more HP than Desert. Not a frequently done stage.

Tundra: Not very good for bursts, but probably best place for C caps if you don't have a specialized party. A cap farming cycle party will generally do Forest -> Tundra -> Desert

Skyland: A jump into area 3 means the boss is Cater, no jump means it's Quartz. I believe this is the only area that forecasts the boss this way. Generally people will kill mobs on quartz (everyone goes in together) and spawn no mobs for Cater.

City: Talis a must, not only that, you will be specifically told to NOT pop zondeels. This is because bursts with mantis are extremely deadly if not properly contained. Popped zondeels don't do enough damage and will likely result in teleporting OHKOs on your party.

Ruins: Frequently Tech-user only parties, everything else kills too slow to set up effective bursts. I believe crab bursts only spawn in area 2.

Altar: Nothing particularly special that I can think of.

Pretty much took most the tips I would give for each area. Aside from Altar being mostly entrance bursts.

Also Vita blocks are awesome for bursts right now because enemies spawn during pse burst chance. Giving you forever to move to exit, reset spawns, and proceed to cross even when you hit pse 8 in the middle of the map.

Our strategy has been kill along the way, open area 3, then hunt for bursts in A2. If pse hits 8, pipe to a3 and go to exit for burst. Leaving the map will reset spawns, and on vita blocks thats 1:30 to setup a really long crossburst.

SakoHaruo
Aug 5, 2013, 01:08 PM
The exit burst "nerf" is more of a fix if anything, and while it does cut in to the potential of exit bursts it still will not change the format of how a good group should approach a burst.

Essentially they are just removing the borders for which mobs cannot spawn past near the exits and entrances. This means mobs can spawn up in your grill, which hurts exit bursts because the best thing about them is that they spawn right in front of you in a nice little group to die.

This isn't going to change much about how you handle bursts though, you will still want to group, pick a spot and a direction, and fire off as much damage as possible. You'll just have the extra annoyance of mobs spawning on top of you now and then.

It might alleviate the need to consider running to an exit/entrance when a burst happens...which I guess is a microscopic perk.

So Urban City Area 2 exit burst is now the worst burst spot in the game? When we get burst burst at the city exit we're actually still in the street and fighting everything spawning from one direction (near or in front of us). Now the mob will spawn in all that extra space near exit 2? that's going to suck.

UnLucky
Aug 5, 2013, 01:33 PM
Now you just go to the nearest corner and blast things with AB and Zondeel.

Blimpz
Aug 5, 2013, 08:22 PM

Skyland/Floating Continent: A jump into area 3 means the boss is Cater, no jump means it's Quartz. I believe this is the only area that forecasts the boss this way. Generally people will kill mobs on quartz (everyone goes in together) and spawn no mobs for Cater.

Altar/Sanctum: Nothing particularly special that I can think of. (Kayarine's note: Exits in Sanctum don't work for exit bursts, but entrances do.)

While most of this advice is good, I don't like the lack of RA or BR in it so I'll post some based on my experience as both. I sub HU for both and I use bow as BR so keep that in mind.

Forest: I've found both RA and BR to be good here. Kamikaze Arrow can one-shot Garrongos if hit on the head and don't have corruption. RA can WB them if the group is undergeared.

Desert/Tunnels: I haven't taken BR to these but RA is incredible for bursts with a good launcher and cluster bullet. With a lv3 50 lightning Signo Launcher I am able to get PB with one cluster.

City: BR is solid choice here. KA can one shot pretty much everything here if hit on the weakpoint. As RA during non-bursts, I recommend using a gunslash with AB instead. Launcher is too slow for trash here and can often result in death.

Ruins: Just like in City, BR is really good for single targets. RA is by far the better choice for bursts here since Torrential Arrow is fairly weak against crabs and kuklos/cyclos.

These are the ones I do the most with my group so I don't have much to add for the rest.

Kayarine
Aug 5, 2013, 10:01 PM
Also Vita blocks are awesome for bursts right now because enemies spawn during pse burst chance.

While most of this advice is good, I don't like the lack of RA or BR in it so I'll post some based on my experience as both. I sub HU for both and I use bow as BR so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info! I added them to the first post.

Neferpitou
Aug 5, 2013, 10:57 PM
this is really helpful thanks!