PDA

View Full Version : Game Do you import video games?

Wyndham
Jul 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
I have imported a bunch of games and systems over the years. I have owned a Japanese PSP and DS lite, and I have imported a couple rhythm games. I'm playing Hatsune Miku Project Diva f on my Vita lately. I also got a few GBA games, and an FF4 GB micro.

Sayara
Jul 14, 2013, 08:34 PM
yo, sup?
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/535870_10152538897585481_1400494319_n.jpg

gigawuts
Jul 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
No, but Monster Hunter 4 has me thinking I might start to.

BIG OLAF
Jul 14, 2013, 08:45 PM
I imported Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. That will probably be the only game I ever physically import, since I don't care about any other games.

Polly
Jul 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
In the Dreamcast days and some PS2 imports here and there. My first imports were Phantasy Star Online version 2 and Ikaruga on Dreamcast.

CelestialBlade
Jul 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
I've imported a couple of PS2 games when I thought they weren't coming to the states (Ar Tonelico 2 and Tales of Destiny remake), and I guess you could count several of my JP SNES ROMs as imports.

Oh yeah, and PSP2i as well.

Mike
Jul 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
First imported game I ever bought was the Saturn version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night from a local Babbage's during the time they decided it would be a good idea to sell imports. With digital distribution, my lack of confidence in consoles, and just plain old physical location, there's not much I need to import anymore.

Mantiskilla
Jul 14, 2013, 09:28 PM
Oh? I guess I can show some of the more recent stuff I own. I used to import quite a bit especially for PS2. I would take a pic of that stuff but I have it boxed away since i rarely play PS2 much less my Japanese one anymore. Probably the only system I import for now is 360 b/c of the shoot em ups that are on the console. Here are a few i grabbed off the shelf

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/Mantiskilla78/ImportGamesPic1_zps40e26779.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/Mantiskilla78/media/ImportGamesPic1_zps40e26779.jpg.html)[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/Mantiskilla78/ImportGamesPic2_zpseac61fea.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/Mantiskilla78/media/ImportGamesPic2_zpseac61fea.jpg.html)[/SPOILER-BOX]

EvilMag
Jul 14, 2013, 09:45 PM
Only 2 games I ever imported was Pokemon Platinum and Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity.

Zeota
Jul 14, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have a few imports from the 16-bit era as well as a few PS1 and PS2 imports.

Milla
Jul 15, 2013, 05:45 AM
Now that i think about it I've imported quite a few games, manly because I'm from the UK and some games take a few months to a year to make it over here. It's only recently that most release dates are closer to the US.

Let's see; My first DS was an american import along with Mario 64 DS. I was like the "cool" kid on the block for a few months although It seemed like everyone else played it more than me. Whoa it's almost been 10 years O_o.

My PSP that I use is the original Japanese launch model and it still works great. I imported the US Animal crossing, Pokemon Colosseum, Resident Evil 4 and a Japanese Pokemon XD for the Gamecube. An US Brawl because i was sick of the delays. A Japanese Soul Sliver because i was so hyped they re made my favorite pokemon game i just couldn't wait and recently Tales of Xillia 2 and Infinity. I was gonna import KH2FM but it looks like i wont need to with the HD remasters.

Also does anyone know if Type-0 is worth importing?

Sexy_Raine
Jul 24, 2013, 01:41 PM
The only one I plan on getting is Legend of Heroes: Sen no kiseki. I know a store which sells import games and I plan to get it there. I know this will never make it to NA. If I'm wrong, I will eat my hair! I don't want to spend a lot of money and rebuy it again in english, I'll be very pissed if that happens...
Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxH6fq-qw4

Outrider
Jul 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
I have imported only a handful of games:

Mother 3 - I saw it on sale for $15 years back and got it for my brother as a novelty birthday gift. I think he actually tried playing through it with a translation guide, but eventually put it down until the English translation was released.

Phantasy Star Zero - Yup, once again I saw the game on sale (~$15) and picked it up. I played through a chunk of the campaign with my HUmarl, but eventually put the game down due to the language barrier. I eventually picked up the game when it came out in the US and got a little bit further with a HUmar, but still have never completed the campaign. I still think this game was pretty neat.

The Last Story - This was on sale(ish) and I had heard great things about it. It hadn't yet been confirmed for release in the US, so I picked it up, figuring that I'd find one way or another to play it. It's still sitting in the shrinkwrap in my apartment, not far from the US copy I eventually bought. Yeah, I'm terrible...

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland - I had read about this game plenty of times but never looked into it much. Still, the Zelda completionist in me wanted to give it a shot, so I eventually ordered it once I found a good deal on the UK version earlier this year. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, though.

Chrono Trigger - This is one of my favorite games and a small part of me has always wanted to pick up the Japanese version of the game just for the novelty of it. I ordered the game (with box and manual) a couple weeks back and it should be coming in August.

Polly
Jul 24, 2013, 03:09 PM
Chrono Trigger - This is one of my favorite games and a small part of me has always wanted to pick up the Japanese version of the game just for the novelty of it. I ordered the game (with box and manual) a couple weeks back and it should be coming in August.

Haha, I know the feeling. Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are my two favorite games and I have imports of them both (fully boxed/instructions) as well simply because I just wanted to have them for the novelty.

I'm thinking of grabbing all the European releases of early Contra games pre-Shattered Soldier since the games were released there as Probotector and had all the humans replaced with robots.

Gardios
Jul 24, 2013, 06:20 PM
Big Tales fan here, the series made me start importing games. Destiny 2, Rebirth, Innocence, Hearts, Vesperia PS3, RM2+3, Innocence and Hearts R, the list goes on... Other than that, I can only think of Keroro RPG, Pokémon BW, BBCSEX and AH3.

I also import many NA games because they arrive late/not at all here in Europe. I'm still pissed at ATLUS for region-locking P4A, getting a fighting game that much later kills the community... =_=

The only one I plan on getting is Legend of Heroes: Sen no kiseki. I know a store which sells import games and I plan to get it there. I know this will never make it to NA. If I'm wrong, I will eat my hair! I don't want to spend a lot of money and rebuy it again in english, I'll be very pissed if that happens...
Here's a trailer:

???? ???? ?????? PV1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxH6fq-qw4)
Not gonna happen... soon, at least. XSEED wants to bring the series over in the right order, so it might take a while. They're still working on TitS:SC right now...

I'm super tempted to import Sen though because NNNNNGH THE GAMES ARE SO GOOD

darkante
Jul 25, 2013, 10:08 AM
Rarely, most games i play these days is usually on the PC or the portable systems (3DS & PSP)

I did get a bit overenthuastic about getting the JP Anarchy Reigns version on the 360..which i kinda later regretted to pay full price for since it were so shallow.
But PSP2:I is the one i appreciated the most.

If i´m gonna get one title as import now, it has to be a very good one like Monster Hunter 4 or something.

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2013, 11:44 AM
Off the top of my head...

Phantasy Star Portable 2, Mamoru-kun wa norowarete-shimatta, Virtual-On Force, Tales of VS, Mushihime-sama futari 1.5, Dodonpachi Resurrection (from europe), Tales of Eternia (europe again), and Puyo Puyo 15th anniversary.

Akaimizu
Jul 26, 2013, 08:40 AM
My importing of games really slowed to a crawl, over the years. Years ago, I used to do it for the occasional title. Enough that NCSX practically knew me.

For the most part, localization efforts have really kicked things up a notch from the way it was 10-15 years ago.

Still, there are the odd titles that I still imported.

Practically any and every Phantasy Star online-playable title was imported first before getting the localized version. Though it has been some time since the last time we've had a Phantasy Star import that cost money. I still have yet to get PSP2 Infinity, though that is something I'm interested in getting. (UMD version) That's because I hold any Phantasy Star Online experience, for which the entire playability of the title has no dependencies on a dedicated server, in super high regard. It's the Phantasy Star Online games for which they truly are yours, along with everything needed to run it.

- Virtual-On Force was the last Console game I imported. Most of everything else, nowadays, is the localized version.

Companies like Atlus (Would be nice if they had a Europe branch for the Europeans), NIS America, XSEED, and some of the all-around First Party localization efforts have really lowered my need for importing. A lot less quality games are left overseas for being "Too Japanese" than before. Plus the amount of localized games, for where I am, are quite high and really occupy all my time until the next game comes along.

Polly
Jul 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
My Probotector collect-a-thon has hit a bit of a snag. x( Fully packaged copy of Probotector on Mega Drive with instructions is hovering around $230.

Very boo. x(

Dhylec
Jul 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
Long history of imported games; my first was JP SF2 on Snes, back in '92.

NoiseHERO
Jul 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
Jump Ultimate Stars best DS game ever.

But it was the store that imported it (still cost just as much if I did order it myself tho)

claudesp33d
Aug 23, 2013, 06:23 PM
i have pal and ntsc super nintendo, and each one have got plenty of games for it

also my favorite snes game is prehistorik man from titus,unfortunately they went bankrupt in 2005 :'( too bad we won't see prehistorik man 2