PDA

View Full Version : Happy Famicom day!

Zeota
Jul 15, 2013, 08:09 AM
On this day in 1983, Nintendo released the "Family Computer" to Japanese consumers. It was re-designed and became what the rest of the world knows as the "Nintendo Entertainment System", which was credited for reviving the video game market in North America. So yeah, happy 30th birthday to the machine that would forever change game consoles and the industry itself!

Polly
Jul 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
Famicom/NES is where so many of my fondest childhood memories come from and where a lot of my favorite games were released. My NES game collection, with boxes and manuals, is getting very close to completion. It's the only damn thing I do collect, but I also don't just let them sit in storage to rot either. I play them on a fairly regular basis because what's the point in having stuff if I'm not gonna use it?

NoiseHERO
Jul 15, 2013, 04:12 PM
Didn't know, happy 30th anniversary then!

Mario/Dunkhunt my first game ever. T_T

BIG OLAF
Jul 15, 2013, 04:28 PM
Never owned any of those old consoles. My first console was a SEGA Genesis, and my first game was Sonic the Hedgehog, but happy birthday to the Famicom/NES all the same.

.Rusty.
Jul 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
I started playing games with the original game boy and then the SNES so I kind of missed out on the NES. I do have super mario bros on the 3ds .Only bought it because they won't put up the game boy color version.

Polly
Jul 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
I started playing games with the original game boy and then the SNES so I kind of missed out on the NES. I do have super mario bros on the 3ds .Only bought it because they won't put up the game boy color version.

The view on the GBC version is way too zoomed in for a lot of the levels in that game though, making them much harder than they needed to be.

.Rusty.
Jul 15, 2013, 05:28 PM
Shhh don't ruin my nostalgia.

Wyndham
Jul 15, 2013, 05:45 PM
The NES was my first console to play for Christmas at the age of two.

Zeota
Jul 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
The first NES game I ever played was.... hell I don't remember... Spy vs Spy I think? It was at a friend's house a couple months before I got my own NES. My parents got me the power set (with the power pad) for my 8th birthday. First NES game I had besides the pack-in was 1943. One game I liked back then was Top Gun, mostly because I liked the movie so much. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I managed to land the friggin' plane.

-Crokar-
Jul 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
caveman games, mega man, Mario, Castlevania, Metroid, some good stuff. I still have a lot of old stuff from back then. but not anywhere near the amount some people have

yoshiblue
Jul 15, 2013, 11:43 PM
I would use mine if it still worked. Otherwise I have Excitebike and Super Mario Bros asking to be played. Lucky Animal Crossing had them too. Yay Animal Crossing(GCN)!

Zeota
Jul 16, 2013, 08:59 AM
I still play Megaman 2 at least once every couple months.

Polly
Jul 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
Super C and Ninja Gaiden II are my go-tos for "immediate feel goods," when it comes to playing NES games. Of course, I've always been in complete love with the Famicom/NES's 2A03 sound hardware. Dem gorgeous square, triangle, and noise waves mixed with 1-bit samples always sounded so damn good.

Mike
Jul 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
JUSTIN BAILEY
------ ------
That blew my mind the first time I saw it. I remember one of my dad's co-worker's sons showing me it at a dinner party.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 16, 2013, 07:27 PM
SORRY BRO 2 BUSY WITH BLAST PROCESSING

Polly
Jul 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
A not so great game, but man did the soundtrack give that NES hardware a work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2zFKjV9UU

A couple years ago I compiled a list of terribly underappreciated NES music actually (http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=underappreciated_nes_music)

Zeota
Jul 16, 2013, 09:32 PM
Yes Snake's Revenge did indeed have great music. I've always liked the boss theme. If not for that game, Kojima wouldn't have made Metal Gear 2 and subsequently MGS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eun0cuTH3wA
Konami really knew how to push the NES sound hardware.

Polly
Jul 16, 2013, 09:42 PM
Konami's composers were geniuses. They knew how to give their music some swagger, some really dirty low end and percussion, and still be really melodic. Top Gun: The Second Mission's in-mission songs are pretty nuts too. They sound like real guitar solo pieces. Having tried my hand at composing NES music myself in several trackers, I can say that stuff ain't easy to do and they have all my respect. xD

Thanks for posting that video. I hadn't heard that soundtrack before. Hooray for new tunes! :)

NoiseHERO
Jul 16, 2013, 10:13 PM
wait... DID the NES have stereo? >_> <_<

Polly
Jul 16, 2013, 11:08 PM
wait... DID the NES have stereo? >_> <_<

No, it didn't. It only output in Mono.

For the fun of it, I just put together a stereo mix of the opening theme for Snake's Revenge by ripping the song apart track by track and editing them with proper panning and adding some reverb for effect. Compare my video above to this:

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/misc/nes_stereo_experiment.mp3

(I didn't go back and give it a proper mix-down so it's a tad louder than I intended, but I like the effect overall.)

NoiseHERO
Jul 16, 2013, 11:29 PM
No, it didn't. It only output in Mono.

For the fun of it, I just put together a stereo mix of the opening theme for Snake's Revenge by ripping the song apart track by track and editing them with proper panning and adding some reverb for effect. Compare my video above to this:

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/misc/nes_stereo_experiment.mp3

(I didn't go back and give it a proper mix-down so it's a tad louder than I intended, but I like the effect overall.)

DANG CHICA DAT SOUND CLEAN DOE!