PDA

View Full Version : DC: Remembering the days

phatalbert
Apr 7, 2003, 02:22 PM
I think its time someone posted something of the good "ol days" of being first to play a console RPG online. So i'm gonna take this time to take you all back.

What were your experiences? Your first group of friends? Your first Double saber? Your first mag? These are experiences that made PSO soo appealing to the masse's that played. HOw many international friends did you have? How many symbols did you make? What was the funniest symbol? what was the most explicit symbol?

There are so many things that the game offered when it first made it onto the online scene, for many this was the first time playing an online RPG, and I think Sonic team did a fantastic job, presenting it in a way that was fun, addictive, and time consuming. PLaying until day break, feeding those mags.

Then came the hackers, and I remember the panic like it was yesterday. It was liking walking out onto a dangerous street at night. Many people locked the rooms and only played with friends. Others who live dangerously left the rooms open, but had hidden intentions. I think when hackers made it on to PSO for the first time, players didn't know who to trust, but also many players wanted that upper hand in weapons and armor.

I remember the time I always went out seeking weapons from rooms that remained unlocked on some ship on one of those totally obscure Blocks. A group of people were trading and the room was called Trades. So I go in. I start asking for weapons, then most all the players leave except for one. He stays then asks me if i've ever seen megid in the city. I say no. But i didn't want to stay and find out. I RUN FOR THE WARP OF THE ROOM. his ass runs after me. So i'm running around in circles for the longest and manage to type, "how are you doing that"? and he doesn't tell me.

So anyway my point is that back in the day of PSO Dreamcast, it was a new experience for most, an exciting time and just plain FUN. I wonder if the PSO on GC and Xbox can ever deliver that same feeling.

So hit me back with some memories. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Elixer
Apr 7, 2003, 02:28 PM
I remember the good old days way back my first mag(had no clue what to do with it) and then in v2 i remeber when I fist started cmode. It was hard at first then it got real fun. At times I miss them good old dreamcast days. I had a few international friends.

Guntz348
Apr 7, 2003, 02:43 PM
I remeber I gave up PSO for a while after I got kinda bored with V1. I never really know why i quit though. My freind bought V2 and a DC so he made me get V2 so it'd be easier for us to play together. I was online for about 2 weeks and I ran into my old friend "CAP". I think he was one of the few humars who actually hit level 200 legitly. I know he was also one of the first players to do it too. When ever I needed stuff he was always able to help me out too. We had a small group of players that jsut took care of each other and tried to remain as legit as we could. I miss the good ole days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

*Sits on the porch and sips County Time Lemonaid* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Azman
Apr 7, 2003, 03:43 PM
aah...hackers...the naiive fools...

i remember making a kick -ass character, got to level 50-odd on MY FRIENDS copy of PSO.

When i got my copy of psov2, i was heart boken when i could play it online with my character, but everyone was well nice and sum blue robot dude gave me max money! weyhey!

Piro-Skies
Apr 7, 2003, 04:01 PM
One person in perticular sticks out in mind and that's Gratch. Great guy, helped out. Hoping to catch him on the GC version sometime heh.

-Piro Skies

Joe-Azlin
Apr 7, 2003, 04:08 PM
i hope 2 have these same memories with ppl on the gc version when i get online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Brundidge
Apr 7, 2003, 05:00 PM
On 2003-04-07 12:22, phatalbert wrote:

What were your experiences? Your first group of friends? Your first Double saber?

Oh man my first double saber. At first when I received this mysterious item I was like "ah yes a rare!" Then when came to identifying it hence the name "Double Saber." I never did the quest where you met up with Ash again on the DC so I never knew what it looked like. I was thinking "is it like a saber in each hand?" kinda like the present day musashi LOL but no. I had to level up a bit to use it and then viola. I was at awe seeing a doubled ended green saber that did a 6 hit combo. I held onto that weapon as if I were god. Even if situations requires a better weapon I always used the double saber LOL.

Too bad I don't have that feeling anymore though. Thinking about that makes me wanna pop out my DC and play some DC V.2 now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brundidge on 2003-04-07 15:01 ]</font>

Coxy
Apr 7, 2003, 05:43 PM
what do you mean memories? im still there, obviously im living in some kind of strange time-warp (until PSOX http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

Yosho
Apr 7, 2003, 05:50 PM
*Leans back in chair and takes a deep breath* ahhhhh the good ole Dreamcast days heh heh http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Para
Apr 7, 2003, 05:59 PM
you dunno hacking until uve actually met it on PSO PC x.X;;

Natume
Apr 7, 2003, 06:14 PM
The thing that sticks most in my mind was the first few months of PSO.

Most people were in the same boat finding out about the game. It was great fun jumping from game to game making new friends and seeing new items that people had found and slowly building your own knowledge.

The best thing of all was forging friendships with people from all over the world. I think on this account the new versions will be able to deliver the same feeling.

Moving over to the GC version makes me appreciate how good the DC version was and is. I would go so far as to say that the DC versions are the best out there.

Mystil
Apr 7, 2003, 07:55 PM
Man I miss all my friends from DC..I've made a some good ones on the GC version though, but I still tend to get stuck in 2001..where EVERYONE was a new player and everything was just vibrant..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-04-07 17:56 ]</font>

Eum
Apr 7, 2003, 09:17 PM
I remember the first person I played with online.

I had created a FOnewearl, and met this really nice HUnewearl. She was level 19 or so, while I was 11 or 12. We went through Ruins, and I basically ranted about how I really liked the BGM and such.

I was thinking earlier about this, and decided to give Version 1 a spin. My, things have surely changed. Even the Foie sounds different. Sort of makes you want to turn back time.

KILLERSHOCK
Apr 8, 2003, 03:22 AM
Memories:
Going online after months of offline thinking it was cool.
First PK
Getting asked ARE U PK?
Getting Nolled and simple mailing someone how to get out which I did.
Getting into open games with dummy chars just for kicks, any instant you might get pk'ed or NOL'ed or even FSOD'ed. Watch the pointless attemts at frighting you, this is a dummy....
My first FSOD, thank you for taking my rares.
PK never stole anything good on me. Thank you anti thief guide.

Watching people use gameshark in self defence. Heck there was one game where both players started ok untill paranoia took over after we beat the dragon and they started accusing eachother of pk. Welcome to v1 battlemode everyone. Ever wonder why there people prefered to have spells at their disposal?*zap "TAKE THIS PK'er" *counter-zap "NO U ARE PK DIE!!" LMAO!! Man, they didn't cast a single assault spell untill they started fighting eachoter.
Good times.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KILLERSHOCK on 2003-04-08 01:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KILLERSHOCK on 2003-04-08 01:36 ]</font>

KILLERSHOCK
Apr 8, 2003, 04:03 AM
Found something interesting:
http://s3.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=32498&topic=7397459
errrrr...

Vyce_Grypp
Apr 8, 2003, 05:40 AM
On 2003-04-07 12:22, phatalbert wrote:
So anyway my point is that back in the day of PSO Dreamcast, it was a new experience for most, an exciting time and just plain FUN. I wonder if the PSO on GC and Xbox can ever deliver that same feeling.

Poppycock. I used to play on the DC for a good year before I went on the GC, and lo, I suffer no ill effects with regard to vague "veteran" memories because the GC version rocks the old DC crone like a daddy-o whippin' his sugarbaby. The GC version has definitely improved my experience and that, my friends, is the truth.

Sedyne
Apr 8, 2003, 06:10 AM
ah the good ol days =)

If only pso were like it was minus the hacking....

MetalGriever
Apr 8, 2003, 10:41 AM
Ahhhh the good old days...

-Making my first character, a HUcast named Metal Givera. After a couple hours, I deleted him and made another HUcast named MetalGriever.
-Going online the first time. (I got the game for my 20th birthday)
-My first few friends (Shiori, Raven, SpiritMaster, and several others) Some of whom I still talk to now)
-Going for over a month without a keyboard ><;;;
-Getting to lv100, and having the file corrupt exactly one week later
-V2 and getting the crap kicked out of me by bartles online
-Having like 9 or 10 friends from Japan and Hong Kong.
-Finishing C9 for the first time with just me, and 2 HUnewearls. Took close to 2 hours but we did it.

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 8, 2003, 11:02 AM
*Popping in the disc the first time and getting to level 18 in 10 hours -_-
*Meeting my first online friends (Karados, Tiger Lily, Andrew, ExtremeX, Desert Storm, Alexia, Trinity, Lady Karla)
*Playing with my real life friends (Zentri, Bolverk, Skuld, Lethal Dose, Mercenary78)
*Becoming a feared hacker named SolarFlame, and then regretting that I ever hacked because it sucks and no one should do it again
*Deleting characters because of ther looks and making one that looks exactly the same -_-
*Figuring out the clone character trick http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
*Breaking a gameshark because it ruined my character
*Having the huge rival with Hugh Baldwin, a simple minded HUmar
*Being the the clan, SiN

Heh yeah, hacking sucks, don't do it. PSOX in a couple of days to weeks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Durandal37
Apr 8, 2003, 01:18 PM
*Deleting characters because of ther looks and making one that looks exactly the same -_- Hahaha! I used to do the same damn thing!

Yeah... those certainly were the good old days. Before anyone cheated/duped, and you made friends everywhere you went. *sigh*

I still remember my first double saber. That was like a virtual life changing experience. Of course, some damn sonofabitch stole it from me. =(

I remember watching in awe as people went through locked doors, lol. I spent an entire day learning to do it and then just kept doing it over and over. I never used it to cheat, though. It was just pure fun factor.

Igeryu
Apr 8, 2003, 05:21 PM
but all those things, like first times, are just because it was the first time you did that, not because of the actual quality of the game, i myself like the GCN ver better, i dont know why, but i feel like i have more freedom, and yes i did play PSO DC in the non hacking days, so i can compare them to GCN......

Levious
Apr 9, 2003, 03:36 AM
Does anybody here remember me and my website?

phatalbert
Apr 9, 2003, 11:47 AM
How did my post end up on gamefaqs????

well at least i get more respones. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

a PSO Dc fan is a fan anywhere.

phatalbert
Apr 9, 2003, 11:57 AM
Name: Balbarei, Class: FOmar, Section ID: Redria, Level: 47

I take that back, that little fuck is claiming my words!

MonoxideChild
Apr 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
I remember using my gameshark to create a character named FatFaggot for the hell of it. It was a Fonewm that had a white outfit on that was short and fat. Those we're the days.