PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 BSOD on startup, likely related to GameGuard

DS7
Jul 31, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone, new around these parts. I played PSO2 for a while when it was first released, but eventually stopped. With the whole Episode 2 release business, I thought I'd dive back in, but after updating I was greeted with a BSOD before I even got in-game. The launcher opens, I click Game Start, and then the little splash appears. GameGuard appears in the top-left corner and checks and authenticates, then closes. The splash disappears, but then a few seconds later the BSOD comes up (without even bringing up a game window first). I'm not using Tweaker or any english patches.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (quad core, 3.3GHz)
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (driver 320.49)
RAM: 6 GB
Internet: Comcast cable connection
Router: D-Link DI-524 (wired connection to the router, though the router is wireless)

The BSOD invariably gives a DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION, and cites dump_wmimmc.sys as the source, so I'm pretty sure it's GameGuard. I've been working on this problem on and off for the past few weeks now. I linked a dxdiag dump (and crash dumps) to this post. Below is more details on what I've tried already, as well as my own thoughts. Does anyone have any ideas?

What I've tried:
1) Deleted the GameGuard folder to let it re-download
2) Closed all programs
3) Disabled antivirus (MSSE)
4) Disabled firewall
5) Disabled UAC
6) Added ports 12000-12999 to the router I'm on, manually
7) Reinstalled the game
8) Moved the game folder to the root of the C: drive
9) Disabled all non-essential devices in Device Manager
10) Ran a memory test (no problems)
11) Made sure there's plenty of room on the C: drive (on the order of a few hundred GB)
12) Updated drivers for everything I can think of
13) Clean install on the latest non-beta NVIDIA driver for the video card
14) Used Tweaker's GG fix option
15) Driver Verifier is active; I started it a while after I started getting the BSODs. Of course, it doesn't help much because the driver in question is only ever loaded when PSO2 starts up
16) All Windows Updates installed

My thoughts:
This particular driver is created and loaded by GameGuard, I assume, as the file is in the GameGuard directory in my main PSO2 folder. Interestingly enough, the BSOD crash dumps do not cite that particular driver as being the one that crashed - instead, the only things it finds in the crash stack are the kernel driver and sometimes the NTFS driver. The dump_wmimmc.sys is in the list though, so it's clearly loaded into memory. I suspect it's reacting to some other driver. I'm linking a few example crash dumps to this post.

The only lead I have is that I tried to run the game one time in safe mode with networking drivers loaded. It didn't give me the same error - in fact I got the blank(black) window for the game client, and then it crashed normally with a "pso2.exe has stopped working" dialog. I assume this is because my graphics drivers weren't loaded. This would mean that it may be conflicting with other loaded drivers, but I'm not sure which.

It honestly seems like GG is doing something it's not supposed to, but another part of me thinks it's because of some other driver.

Dumps:
* DxDiag Dump (http://pastebin.com/9uFFfvR6)
* Crash Dump 1 (http://pastebin.com/EQWGaPit)
* Crash Dump 2 (http://pastebin.com/4nHKeSKV)

Djinnistorm
Sep 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
I hate to bump dead threads, but I was going to create a new one about this issue, sooo...

Yea. I'm getting a bit sick of this. 50% of the time I launch the game it seems I end up crashing my entire machine. It's a little silly honestly.