PDA

View Full Version : Traps are crap compared to techniques

Aicinue
Apr 9, 2003, 12:35 AM
I was thinking of being an android, but I noticed the traps just don't compare with techniques. You hardly get any, and each one isn't so good... don't ya agree?

Aicinue
Apr 9, 2003, 12:46 AM
Very well, as someone asked... I am... Aiciue!! Ha ha ha ha haaaa!!!

Kent
Apr 9, 2003, 12:47 AM
Well first off, (Fire) traps get better as you get to higher levels, as well as getting more and more traps depending on your level.

Also, Freeze traps always freeze non-boss enemies, which is a good thing, and Confuse traps always confuse enemies, unlike some crappy elemental weapons. This works wonders on hordes of Dimenians and the like (I sure wish Forces had techniques that Confuse enemies).

Traps and techniques have their uses, and if you know what you're doing, both can be used very effectively.

Captain_Dude
Apr 9, 2003, 12:50 AM
On 2003-04-08 22:47, Kent wrote:
Well first off, (Fire) traps get better as you get to higher levels, as well as getting more and more traps depending on your level.

Also, Freeze traps always freeze non-boss enemies, which is a good thing, and Confuse traps always confuse enemies, unlike some crappy elemental weapons. This works wonders on hordes of Dimenians and the like (I sure wish Forces had techniques that Confuse enemies).

Traps and techniques have their uses, and if you know what you're doing, both can be used very effectively.

What he said! Only more informative!

VulpesMundi
Apr 9, 2003, 12:59 AM
Are an android's traps a subtitute for a force's techniques? No. They're something completely different. They do things that a force's spells simply cannot. If a player has never actually tried playing an android and using their traps, then that person doesn't have the right to judge them seeing as one can't understand how they work and how useful they can be.

An android's traps gain in quantity as the droid levels up. A droid will regain their supply of traps if they gain a level, use a healing ring, are resurrected by a scape doll, or visit the medical center. As for usefullness, freezing a mob of enemies (with a 100% accuracy), especially when you have a multi-target weapon that can tear the lot of them apart, is quite helpful. And if that isn't enough, confusing a mob of enemies so they'll attack their own is not only a useful way to distract them and do freebie damage, but it's amusing to watch as well. Damage traps are probably the least useful, but they still have their effectiveness. They are best used on slimes that are sliding along the ground and untargetable by conventional weapons and spells.

Do I think an android's traps are better than a force's spells? Not really. But in the right situations they can be just about as useful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-04-08 23:01 ]</font>

rena-ko
Apr 9, 2003, 01:14 AM
traps relyable but limited.
techs (virtually) unlimited but not very relyable.

kinda equal, imho

Orange_Coconut
Apr 9, 2003, 03:13 AM
I dunno, comparing them to techniques is a bit of a stretch. It's more like an Android add-on.

Raziel_Kai
Apr 9, 2003, 08:31 AM
They do not compare to techniques, but they help out in tight situations or just to annoy enemies when you are the only high level hunter on Ragol with bunch of fresh first-timers toting handguns and you need them to level up quick.
I use traps on two ways:
If I am playing solo, I only use Damage traps on big groups to damage them all and soften them up (even though I am a HUcast, on solo I almost only use a Varista... so I plant the trap, back away a step or two and shoot it before the enemies supersede the targeting of the gun).
If I am playing Multiplayer, I use Confusion or Freeze traps... the rest of the players basically use ranged weapons and they get to shoot the trap above my head, activating it and hitting the monsters so they can easily get their hits in. In multiplayer I am usually 30 levels above the rest of the group, so I just focus on distracting the enemies to me so the rest of the party can breath easier and level up. Only when playing in harder modes, do I set a trap and ask a partner to shoot it so I can begin trashing the enemies.
In short, traps are very useful if you had practice with them, but they aren't the be-all, end-all of PSO.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 9, 2003, 08:49 AM
You can't compare traps to techniques. Techniques are not limited to damage and status effects. S/D/J/Z, resta and anti are all things that traps cannot do. As for damage output, techniques are in a whole different class.

But I would say that traps don't suck. You can set a trap even if you're surrounded and being hit. A trap can be set off by shooting it, and they're 100% effective. I liken them to the chaff ejectors on military warplanes - they distract something so you can either make a getaway or take advantage of the situation to crush your targets.

muff
Apr 9, 2003, 10:49 AM
Traps are a whole different thing...

Sorta off topic here, but, has anyone seen that trap, in I think its caves 2, that heals you when it goes off. I think androids should learn this and then they would have an alternative to resta, instead of making my Hucast -30,000 meseta everytime I use 10 trimates http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Aicinue
Apr 9, 2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I think that too...

dys0r
Apr 9, 2003, 11:03 AM
What're you guys smoking? You can't compare TRAPS with TECHNIQUES. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Such foolishness. If you're an android, then you know that traps are your best friend. They're 100% effective. With a freeze trap, you can own a bunch of enemies with a mere combo. With a confuse trap, you can hilariously watch your enemies slay each other, while you pick them off. Although damage traps aren't as good as the other two, they're still good enough to soften up enemies.

Now, techniques are a whole different thing. You can attack one to many multiple targets with a single spell, such as Rabarta or Rafoie. They can be used in a variety of ways.

- dys

Thumbalina2k
Apr 9, 2003, 01:56 PM
On 2003-04-08 22:59, VulpesMundi wrote:
Are an android's traps a subtitute for a force's techniques? No. They're something completely different. They do things that a force's spells simply cannot. If a player has never actually tried playing an android and using their traps, then that person doesn't have the right to judge them seeing as one can't understand how they work and how useful they can be.

An android's traps gain in quantity as the droid levels up. A droid will regain their supply of traps if they gain a level, use a healing ring, are resurrected by a scape doll, or visit the medical center. As for usefullness, freezing a mob of enemies (with a 100% accuracy), especially when you have a multi-target weapon that can tear the lot of them apart, is quite helpful. And if that isn't enough, confusing a mob of enemies so they'll attack their own is not only a useful way to distract them and do freebie damage, but it's amusing to watch as well. Damage traps are probably the least useful, but they still have their effectiveness. They are best used on slimes that are sliding along the ground and untargetable by conventional weapons and spells.

Do I think an android's traps are better than a force's spells? Not really. But in the right situations they can be just about as useful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-04-08 23:01 ]</font>

took the words right out of my mouth! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Apr 9, 2003, 01:58 PM
Even though androids have traps, they just aren't strong enough!! Also, there should be more of em... like an S/D and J/Z trap, and a Resta trap for a group of people. Not everyone plays with a FO or a technique proficient character.

Mirth
Apr 9, 2003, 03:39 PM
On 2003-04-09 09:03, dys0r wrote:
What're you guys smoking? You can't compare TRAPS with TECHNIQUES. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Such foolishness. If you're an android, then you know that traps are your best friend. They're 100% effective. With a freeze trap, you can own a bunch of enemies with a mere combo. With a confuse trap, you can hilariously watch your enemies slay each other, while you pick them off. Although damage traps aren't as good as the other two, they're still good enough to soften up enemies.

Now, techniques are a whole different thing. You can attack one to many multiple targets with a single spell, such as Rabarta or Rafoie. They can be used in a variety of ways.

- dys

oranges are better then apples cause apples arent citrus! lol ahem , traps, traps are not comparable to techs, techs cant do the jobs traps can and traps cant do the jobs techs can.