PDA

View Full Version : SEGA Reveals Phantasy Star Nova w/ Single Player Offline (New TGS Pics Added)

Pages : 1 [2]

Zyrusticae
Sep 11, 2013, 11:52 PM
What th...

Why don't PSO2's desert look this good?!

FUCK'S SAKE, SEGA.

ShinMaruku
Sep 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
Sega is not good.

Taurus83
Sep 12, 2013, 12:56 AM
that why sega need help from tri-ace

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2013, 02:03 AM
That's why I am hyped.

Valimer
Sep 12, 2013, 02:08 AM
so why does this vita game look better visually than pso2

why sega why

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2013, 02:20 AM
You play pso2 for a year and ask this....

landman
Sep 12, 2013, 03:53 AM
That planet looks more and more Moatov to me, first Kog Nadd giant cousin, now Vanda's nephews.

I really miss the days where more work would be put towards the stage, quest and enemy combat design. PSO had a larger variety of enemies, more attention paid to stage design and much better quests. And PSU did too to a lesser extent.

Please refresh my memory, by large variety of enemies you mean the Boma, Go Boma, Gi Boma, Shark, Pal Shark, Il Shark, Dimenian, So Dimenian, Sa Dimenian? I love PSO, but seriously, nostalgia is really bad sometimes.

Mike
Sep 12, 2013, 03:59 AM
Please refresh my memory, by large variety of enemies you mean the Boma, Go Boma, Gi Boma, Shark, Pal Shark, Il Shark, Dimenian, So Dimenian, Sa Dimenian? I love PSO, but seriously, nostalgia is really bad sometimes.
Quit harshing my buzz man.

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 05:54 AM
Wow. This game makes some pretty good use of shaders and textures in comparison to the scaled down version of PSO2 for the Vita. Hoping that the framerate is solid as well.

What th...

Why don't PSO2's desert look this good?!

FUCK'S SAKE, SEGA.

so why does this vita game look better visually than pso2

why sega why
I think you guys are missing something.

Sega's TGS site (http://tgs.sega.jp/2013/data/lineup/psonva/) is up and some Nova artwork has been posted

artwork
Seriously, how many hundreds of videogames must end up looking far worse than they have been promised to for people to finally learn? Here's actual gameplay footage for those who forgot already:

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Phantasy-Star-Nova.gif

AgemFrostMage
Sep 12, 2013, 08:20 AM
Yep, another Vita exclusive -_-

Can't anything good come out for PC already?

gigawuts
Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 AM
Yep, another Vita exclusive -_-

Can't anything good come out for PC already?

I get it, it's because PSO2 is on PC but it's not any good.

And yes, we all knew they would follow the pattern they have since PSO v1 on DC. They release what they think will work, then improve on it when it doesn't. v2 did this to a slight degree, ep 1 & 2 did it to a much larger degree. AotI did it, PSP2i did it, etc.etc.

The difference is most of us assumed it would be episode 2 that would do it with PSO2, or nothing at all. Looks like we might have been wrong on that.

Zyrusticae
Sep 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
I think you guys are missing something.

Seriously, how many hundreds of videogames must end up looking far worse than they have been promised to for people to finally learn? Here's actual gameplay footage for those who forgot already:

[snip]
The fuck are you on about?

Those are very obviously in-game screenshots (ESPECIALLY the shot with the sword being swung, there's aliasing EVERYWHERE). And even with the low-res textures the environment still looks way better than PSO2's desert...

gigawuts
Sep 12, 2013, 08:49 AM

Those are very obviously in-game screenshots (ESPECIALLY the shot with the sword being swung, there's aliasing EVERYWHERE). And even with the low-res textures the environment still looks way better than PSO2's desert...

It could still easily be dolled up. If the game really is 40% complete (that's the stat I think I read, anyway) then I doubt the game is this presentable already.

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 08:55 AM

Then, obviously, Sony's video is fake. Makes sense, how'd they get their hands on Sega's exclusive info?

Arkanoid
Sep 12, 2013, 08:58 AM
I just caught on to the name they are using - the initials end up being PSN, continuing their tradition of making the portable games abbreviated to some much more well known Sony thing like they did with "PSP". Wasn't their originally a leak for something named "Phantasy Star Victory" which would have been PSV (Playstation Vita), but I don't think many people refer to the Vita that way so I'm glad they switched over to PSN for maximum confusion.

AgemFrostMage
Sep 12, 2013, 09:20 AM
I get it, it's because PSO2 is on PC but it's not any good.

And yes, we all knew they would follow the pattern they have since PSO v1 on DC. They release what they think will work, then improve on it when it doesn't. v2 did this to a slight degree, ep 1 & 2 did it to a much larger degree. AotI did it, PSP2i did it, etc.etc.

The difference is most of us assumed it would be episode 2 that would do it with PSO2, or nothing at all. Looks like we might have been wrong on that.

Controller helps a lot but too much repetition kills the game. It is good for running around killing things but that gets old. Now I'm taking a long break and working on Distant Worlds but only bought the first expansion but might get Legends.

Still, they work on a Vita exclusive when the game is only a year old already, can't be a good sign and Sega said they want to work more with portables anyway -_-

At least Nintendo still makes games that are games last I heard.

blace
Sep 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Just to be fair this picture:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=37119

Looks like actual in game footage with the clipping issues seen around the characters feet as well as the jagged edges typically seen with Vita screenshots when it automatically upscales the pictures when imported to PC.

Railkune
Sep 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't those weapons Photon weapons?

Jim
Sep 12, 2013, 02:16 PM

I think so. Haven't known of a PSO/PSU that didn't have photon weapons as the standard. Is there something else you were thinking they could be?

I've been playing PSO for ~10 years, but I'm not an EXPERT on the lore. Especially post-PSU since I only put ~10 hours in that game.

supersonix9
Sep 12, 2013, 02:18 PM
I think so. Haven't known of a PSO/PSU that didn't have photon weapons as the standard. Is there something else you were thinking they could be?

I've been playing PSO for ~10 years, but I'm not an EXPERT on the lore. Especially post-PSU since I only put ~10 hours in that game.

I think the point Railkune's trying to make is that photon weapons aren't supposed to work on Machia

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 02:19 PM
Just because photons don't work on Machia doesn't mean that they still aren't effective against plotholes. Ask yourself this: "Do they really have no power?".

Jim
Sep 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
I think the point Railkune's trying to make is that photon weapons aren't supposed to work on Machia

Ohhh Yeah, I don't know anything about Machia. I need to read up on what's going on in PSO. :wacko:

Railkune
Sep 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I was just wondering. Because maybe it could be a thing of Photons simply being much harder to control. If Photon weapons still work, they may have a way to use them, but at a much harder process than normal.

gigawuts
Sep 12, 2013, 02:43 PM
Since I doubt they want to trash every single weapon design they have (considering they're recycling things like wolgahdas and everything) they'll probably either A. say they're just tough to control, B. say only free floating photons used in PAs are limited, or C. retcon it so all those weapons don't even rely on photons to function.

There are numerous weapons in PSO and PSO2 (not sure about PSU) that specifically mention not using photons, but in PSO2 they can use PAs and in PSO1 they were just as deadly.

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
Since I doubt they want to trash every single weapon design they have (considering they're recycling things like wolgahdas and everything) they'll probably either A. say they're just tough to control, B. say only free floating photons used in PAs are limited, or C. retcon it so all those weapons don't even rely on photons to function.

There are numerous weapons in PSO and PSO2 (not sure about PSU) that specifically mention not using photons, but in PSO2 they can use PAs and in PSO1 they were just as deadly.
Or they can just recolor the existing designs and name them something else.

Can't wait to use my Tachyon Sword and Ion Daggers.

yoshiblue
Sep 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
Who doesn't want to be a badass like Guild Master Dairon(PSZ)?

gigawuts
Sep 12, 2013, 02:54 PM
Or they can just recolor the existing designs and name them something else.

Can't wait to use my Tachyon Sword and Ion Daggers.

So C.

Well, I guess if you want to split hairs so thin you need an electron microscope to see what you're doing you could say recoloring a weapon isn't quite the same as retconning.

supersonix9
Sep 12, 2013, 03:01 PM

ye dat

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 03:12 PM
So C.

Well, I guess if you want to split hairs so thin you need an electron microscope to see what you're doing you could say recoloring a weapon isn't quite the same as retconning.
After beating the game, you unlock New Game+ and higher difficulties with tons of new content, like, get this, PHOTON weapons!

No retcon, fits perfectly(-ish) into the PSO2 story, and into Sega's trend of calling old "new".

gigawuts
Sep 12, 2013, 03:21 PM
inb4 psn is a time travel prequel to pso2 and the NG+ is when you forge the first photon weapons

Railkune
Sep 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'd laugh so hard.

Sp-24
Sep 12, 2013, 03:27 PM
Won't you feel like a badass swinging this baby around:
[spoiler-box]http://imageshack.us/a/img30/354/3t8.png[/spoiler-box]

Railkune
Sep 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Heck no, that thing is ugly.

Honestly though, I'm getting pretty excited over Nova now. Not so much the game itself, but how they handle the battle mechanics and the story.

Link1275
Sep 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
Explanation for photon blades still working, they just condensed them into something physical enough to not need a continual supply of photons or a photon power source. ie, the blade is still there and sharp enough to kill stuff.

Kilich
Sep 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
I think it'll be much easier. Photon weapons, personal forcefields, potions and other prepackaged goods are independently powered, like turrets and gunship weapons.

But PAs and Techs are powered by ARKS member themselves. So if their ability to use and regenerate photon power without external devices was reduced, they'd be unable to use those.

Also, according to the guidebook, photon weapons were developed way before ARKS were created. Even earlier than Oracle was built.

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
You guys are thinking too hard on how photons will work on one planet.

supersonix9
Sep 13, 2013, 03:10 AM
You guys are thinking too hard on how photons will work on one planet.

eh, nothing much else we can totally speculate on right now I guess

blace
Sep 13, 2013, 03:19 AM
It's not photons, but alternative photons.

I'm out of ideas.

NoiseHERO
Sep 13, 2013, 03:21 AM
Was dragon ball z the only anime that didn't need to think up some invisible force that has to exist to give people powers if they trained?

Oh wait dragon ball z used chi.

Kondibon
Sep 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
"The player and crew make an emergency crash landing on planet where photons hold no power. Though at first the planet was thought to be uncivilized, the crew encounters a gigantic boss heavily adorned in artillery. Without the aid of the main fleet, the crew must now rely on materials procured on the planet to fight against the beast known as Gigantes."

I'm pretty sure the idea is that, it's justification for the crafting system and gameplay differences between PSNova and PSO2. And photons not working doesn't mean there can't be some other glowing magical stuff for them to use to make their weapons. The names of the weapons themselves are irrelevant. I don't know why anyone even brought that up.

Taurus83
Sep 13, 2013, 03:43 AM
tri-ace pretty sure to add symboly as force battle system abit mix of star ocean

ShinMaruku
Sep 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
Was dragon ball z the only anime that didn't need to think up some invisible force that has to exist to give people powers if they trained?

Oh wait dragon ball z used chi.

It's Ki. On a funny not that's what techinques run on too. As said before it's not magic but psychic powers.

May0
Sep 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
You guys are overthinking things I think. Its the future so they'll have a special Mcguffin that will allow them to build and craft stuff. Things don't have to make sense though- its a video game. This is the same medium which has the picking up of fresh hearts from your defeated enemies restoring your health. The same medium that allows you to defeat death with the proper item in your inventory. Don't worry so much how things are done so much as how the game is balanced around them

http://www.paperspencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1311763417814.jpg

Sp-24
Sep 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
The thing is, recent Phantasy Star games used photons as an excuse for pretty much every single thing that was happening around you in games. Almost every question you could possibly ask not only could, but probably already was answered as "It's photons!". Then, suddenly, BAM! - a setting where photons have no power.

We are just wondering how will Sega deal with it now that their only plothole crutch is gone. I still bet on tachyons, personally. Or that they'll ignore it altogether.

Also, we have nothing to talk about, and I don't want to repeat "Wow, I'm hyped!" over and over, especially since I'm not.

With that said, do we know who will be responsible for the plot? If it's not Sega's people, then there may be a chance that they'll put some thought into the game's lore.

Dragon_Knight
Sep 13, 2013, 09:27 PM
You guys are overthinking things I think. Its the future so they'll have a special Mcguffin that will allow them to build and craft stuff. Things don't have to make sense though- its a video game. This is the same medium which has the picking up of fresh hearts from your defeated enemies restores your health. The same medium that allows you to defeat death with the proper item in your inventory. Don't worry so much how things are done so much as how the game is balanced around them

http://www.paperspencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1311763417814.jpg

Heh, Dungeon Master, haven't seen him for years. But you might be closer to a possibility than you think with Nova. I'm not sure if Online/Online 2 is suppose to take place in the same continuity as the numbered Phantasy Star games, but if it is they could easily replace photons with something else or even actual magic since Espers had magic (they were similar to Dark Force) and techs were a lesser form of it that humans could use.

ShinMaruku
Sep 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
It's not photons, but alternative photons.

I'm out of ideas.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7553/c2m.gif

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 14, 2013, 05:39 AM
so a PS game with the same combat style as PSO2 but with no online? soooo its a pass got it

ShinMaruku
Sep 15, 2013, 09:20 PM
No online means less drip feed it has to be a complete package. Online games are rarely complete packages.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 16, 2013, 02:17 AM
No online means less drip feed it has to be a complete package. Online games are rarely complete packages.

cough cough MH3 tri cough cough

AeonixG
Sep 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
Looking forward to this :D
For now, God Eater 2 XD

NoiseHERO
Sep 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
It's Ki. On a funny not that's what techinques run on too. As said before it's not magic but psychic powers.

OH RIGHT, KI

CHI

CHAKRA

SAME STUFF

gigawuts
Sep 28, 2013, 01:02 PM
cough cough MH3 tri cough cough

it's spelled "3u"

Zipzo
Sep 28, 2013, 01:26 PM

You seem oddly, overly, and unnecessarily excited for a game that is likely going to be quite average/under-par.

ShinMaruku
Sep 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
You seem oddly, overly, and unnecessarily excited for a game that is likely going to be quite average/under-par.

If it's better than PSO2 in terms of balance and has a good offline portion and a ok story I'll be fine. It's not over hype or excitement. It is just me looking forward to a team that can finish the game beyond what Sonic Team has done. Sorry Sega's internal pso/psu team just does not inspire confidence. But I do like Tri Ace's work.

Kilich
Sep 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
Speaking of photons. Recently, scientists found out that photon particles can form something similar to molecules. Maybe a hundred years later, we'll actually have PSO2 photons.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature12512.html

ShinMaruku
Sep 28, 2013, 04:32 PM
Photons do have particle properties.

gigawuts
Sep 28, 2013, 05:06 PM
What with being wavicles and all.

ShinMaruku
Sep 28, 2013, 08:24 PM
It's been postulated that light shows both faces but all things have both properties. Light being so fast is shows both faces while others do not. So yeah some of that pso bullshit might be true. But it's not because the writers were that ahead.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Oct 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
MAH KEYS!!!

I'm looking forward to this game btw. Hopefully has a more arcadey feel than PSODOS

TheDeFiler
Dec 9, 2013, 02:32 PM
MAH KEYS!!!

I'm looking forward to this game btw. Hopefully has a more arcadey feel than PSODOS

I loved PS0 on the DS. The combat was awesome but would have helped with an analog.

ShinMaruku
Dec 9, 2013, 04:24 PM
Next Year should give us some new info. If I can yank some info it will be posted.

Perry
Dec 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
Well PSO guyz and gals, shall we get started on the Engrish patch nao?
because of course SEGUH hates translating games for their Western audiences.

landman
Dec 22, 2013, 02:30 AM
This game is not released yet, and you cannot mod a Vita game for the moment. We can wish at the most that someone works in an awesome pdf translation like the one DeviFoxx made for PSP2 infinity.

NoiseHERO
Dec 22, 2013, 02:41 AM
lANDMAN! D<

/pulls you out by the ear, nilla.

ShinMaruku
Dec 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
This may get a US release more than pso2 because it's not a faux mmo.

Shadowth117
Dec 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
This may get a US release more than pso2 because it's not a faux mmo.

Just like PSP2I right?

I see your point to some extent, but the Phantasy Star Portable series also came out years later as I recall in the US. The ones that DID come out anyways. Its really a shame, but I wouldn't expect to see this come here any time soon.

NoiseHERO
Dec 22, 2013, 12:51 PM
No one's gonna lose any sleep over not getting a PS game in their country.

Cept for like 27 people...

The Walrus
Dec 22, 2013, 03:18 PM
At this point it's about as much of a lost cause as we thought Tales was a few years ago.

ShinMaruku
Dec 22, 2013, 04:32 PM
If Shahid sees this game it will have a larger chance of getting localized. So it's up to people to make it visible to him. He has moved some Japanese only games to the west.

Sara-hime
Dec 23, 2013, 09:36 PM
What games were those? I keep hearing that his #jrpgvita initiative worked, but no one can tell me what games were a result. But I agree with making noise anyway. Nothing done is nothing gained of course. And I would love to at least make this my new PSPo fix! :)

ShinMaruku
Dec 24, 2013, 12:55 AM
We should be hearing about some of those. I know he got Shantae on vita as well a s bunch of games so we should keep it in mind. I shall be requesting it from Shahid when more info comes out. I suggest others do so too.

iC3 lightning
Jan 13, 2014, 04:40 PM
Nic3, any news for N/A and Europe?

The Walrus
Jan 13, 2014, 04:41 PM
Nope. Don't think we've had news at all sept.

ShinMaruku
Jan 14, 2014, 02:46 AM
No news so far we have to wait a few months before we hear some new things. next month we MAY get something from Destination Playstation. Here's to hoping.

vagabondkitten
Jan 22, 2014, 10:35 PM
I would buy a vita exclusively for this game. I miss PSO sooooo badly. :( I'm sick of struggling through Japanese so I've pretty much given up on this series. It makes me sad. At least my GameCube copy still plays perfect.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 22, 2014, 11:54 PM
I would buy a vita exclusively for this game. I miss PSO sooooo badly. :( I'm sick of struggling through Japanese so I've pretty much given up on this series. It makes me sad. At least my GameCube copy still plays perfect.

yes a English patch is really hard to install now a days to fix that

blace
Jan 22, 2014, 11:58 PM
yes a English patch is really hard to install now a days to fix that

Except this thread isn't about PSO2 and about a game coming to the Vita.

Perry
Jan 23, 2014, 10:45 AM
The Vita version needs to get a 3DS cousin, at the VERY least.

The Walrus
Jan 23, 2014, 01:16 PM
If the 3DS is gonna get a PSO game it'd need to be something from the ground up made for it. Give us PSZ2 or something.

ThePendragon
Jan 23, 2014, 02:35 PM
PZ0 was a terrible game.

The Walrus
Jan 23, 2014, 02:39 PM
Hence why I said "or something"

gigawuts
Jan 23, 2014, 02:42 PM
i liked psz

The Walrus
Jan 23, 2014, 02:43 PM
The art style and animations are what killed it for me.

I know it's a DS game but still...

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 23, 2014, 02:55 PM
The art style and animations are what killed it for me.

I know it's a DS game but still...

was still a good game :C

EvilMag
Jan 23, 2014, 02:57 PM
Eternal Tower is what made me hate PSZ.

The Walrus
Jan 23, 2014, 03:00 PM
EDIT: Also ^

was still a good game :C

It was mediocre.

Keyblade59
Jan 23, 2014, 03:02 PM
i liked psz

yeah what he said we should get a remade PSO 1&2 done for the 3DS I bet it could handle it easily

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 23, 2014, 03:15 PM
Eternal Tower is what made me hate PSZ.

11 hour my first time doing it then 6 hours for the second run followed by me wanting to kill the nearest living thing next to me

moeri
Jan 23, 2014, 03:57 PM
This game will be buggy, badly done, and will cost Sega a lot of money...

That is way too many developers on a single project(for Sega). It will probably do decent on release day, and quickly fall into a mudball of code, unmaintainable and breaking in odd ways.

Of course this is just how I think Sega does things.

Actually this isn't a online game... So if they never update it, then it should be "okay"

The Walrus
Jan 23, 2014, 04:01 PM
It's being made by tri-Ace

Alenoir
Jan 23, 2014, 04:11 PM

That is way too many developers on a single project(for Sega). It will probably do decent on release day, and quickly fall into a mudball of code, unmaintainable and breaking in odd ways.

Actually this isn't a online game... So if they never update it, then it should be "okay"

I'm not sure what you mean by too many developers on a single project, it's just SEGA and tri-Ace, with tri-Ace being responsible for the development while SEGA directs it. This is also not the first time SEGA have someone else develop a game for them. The entire Phantasy Star Portable series? That's Alfa System. Project DIVA? That was Dingo. It's nothing new.

Totori
Jan 23, 2014, 05:51 PM

If anything this game will be coded, much better than SEGA's games. And with Tri-Ace working on it, I only have high expectations for the game as it is.

moeri
Jan 23, 2014, 06:51 PM
The core development staff for the game consists of over 70 people, while the total production involves over 200 people.

That is too many people. In my opinion...

~30 is the most I like to see in a core development team for a game. Just a problem similar to having too many cooks in the kitchen. I hope that those numbers are inflated, just to make it look good to the general public.

I think tri-Ace is a good company, but the success of this game will come down to the interaction between SEGA and tri-ACE. The biggest problem I am worried about is if SEGA has too much say so in the development processes related to the game, which could lead to tri-Ace with one arm tied behind their back.

The 200 worries me a lot, because tri-Ace only has ~130 people working for them. This means there is going to be a significant cluster of people, from both companies... my guess is a beurocratic mess... on settling money, quality, and legal issues

but meh, we will see. This is just speculation from me based on these numbers.

Btw, I have NO problem with companies outside of SEGA making games for SEGA to publish, that just makes business sense.

Also, it is a single player game with ad-hoc multiplayer... which REALLY makes me question just WHY would they need 70 people on the development team? To me this looks like someone is being overly ambitious, thinking they can get something done just by throwing money at the project. Which is not how things work in development. Actually once you get the "correct" number of developers, the more money and developers you throw at a project the worse it does.

ShinMaruku
Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 AM
That is too many people. In my opinion...

~30 is the most I like to see in a core development team for a game. Just a problem similar to having too many cooks in the kitchen. I hope that those numbers are inflated, just to make it look good to the general public.

I think tri-Ace is a good company, but the success of this game will come down to the interaction between SEGA and tri-ACE. The biggest problem I am worried about is if SEGA has too much say so in the development processes related to the game, which could lead to tri-Ace with one arm tied behind their back.

The 200 worries me a lot, because tri-Ace only has ~130 people working for them. This means there is going to be a significant cluster of people, from both companies... my guess is a beurocratic mess... on settling money, quality, and legal issues

but meh, we will see. This is just speculation from me based on these numbers.

Btw, I have NO problem with companies outside of SEGA making games for SEGA to publish, that just makes business sense.

Also, it is a single player game with ad-hoc multiplayer... which REALLY makes me question just WHY would they need 70 people on the development team? To me this looks like someone is being overly ambitious, thinking they can get something done just by throwing money at the project. Which is not how things work in development. Actually once you get the "correct" number of developers, the more money and developers you throw at a project the worse it does.

Sega has over 2 billion dollars in the bank and makes so much money at current the cost for this game will be well covered. It just needs to sell 600k and it will break even. As for the team size that is actually a nice mid range size. Assassins creed games have thousands of people making it. 70 is perfect for a portable game. It's not just throwing money it's costs and what not Sega is not one of the over spending companies, if it was say EA (Fuck them) and they have 300 people expand to 500 then yes it would be throwing money at it.

Nothing about this game tells me of waste and over spending.

That and it's tri ace doing it makes me have more faith not less like having the over worked sonic team make every goddamn game for sega.

Arkanoid
Jan 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
You guys are over-rating Tri-Ace so hard :/ I think most of their games not named Valkyrie Profile are pretty mediocre. Especially looking at their most recent games... who the hell actually thought the last Star Ocean game was any good? I would at least hope the characters in this PS game aren't nearly as annoying.

Gardios
Jan 24, 2014, 01:04 PM
It just needs to sell 600k and it will break even. As for the team size that is actually a nice mid range size.

600k is a lot for a VITA game. I would expect around 200k physical copies, maybe 300k total but that's being very optimistic.

landman
Jan 24, 2014, 01:07 PM
Resonance of Fate is an awesome game, with awesome characters, and with a combat system that gets more awesome the more you play. I'm expecting to get collaboration items from that game eventually, PSP2 already had clothes and guns from it.

Arkanoid
Jan 24, 2014, 01:22 PM
Resonance of Fate was very unique and I really loved the setting, but it kind of fell flat for me and I never finished it. I'm not exactly alone here either, just look at most reviews on the internet for that game - professional, personal, whatever - and they usually give it a very middling review.

landman
Jan 24, 2014, 02:10 PM
I can only think one thing about those reviews and your failed attempt at finishing the game, you didn't get the full potential of the combat system. Comparing my achievements with the ones of some friends I remember most of them finished the game twice, and finished the extra (and very difficult) dungeon. I wonder if any of them unlocked the zenith difficulty... I doubt it.

Arkanoid
Jan 24, 2014, 02:40 PM
I can only think one thing about those reviews and your failed attempt at finishing the game, you didn't get the full potential of the combat system. Comparing my achievements with the ones of some friends I remember most of them finished the game twice, and finished the extra (and very difficult) dungeon. I wonder if any of them unlocked the zenith difficulty... I doubt it.

The combat is good, like their other games that I liked such as the Valkyrie Profile games. But that's what I'm thinking about when it comes to this PS game, their games with purely action combat like Star Ocean and Infinite Undiscovery don't exactly lead me to believe they will make something much better than what they have done in those games.

Dark Priest
Jan 24, 2014, 04:02 PM
Resonance of Fate was very unique and I really loved the setting, but it kind of fell flat for me and I never finished it. I'm not exactly alone here either, just look at most reviews on the internet for that game - professional, personal, whatever - and they usually give it a very middling review.

Battles were ridciously long if you didn't have good guns, and without spoiling it if you did the "special area" you will see just how lenghtly battles could get. which made losing all the more painful. but it did get boring pretty quick once the unique battle system novelty wore off, i still liked it tho.

batokage
Jan 24, 2014, 04:42 PM
I liked Resonance of Fate a lot, but I never finished it myself...the story didn't hold me, though I did greatly appreciate the comedy thrown in. I loved the main characters, and the battle system was indeed unique (gotta love tri-ace. I love almost every battle system they make) but for an rpg, gameplay alone can't keep me going for the entire length of the game.

GoldenFalcon
Jan 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
Why is this an End of Eternity thread?

I watched my brother play it, and min/max makes it boring. Much more exciting when every hard battle ends on the edge

As for collab guns, the guns in the game aren't that unique

landman
Jan 24, 2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah I was basically thinking in clothes here, since that game had a wardrobe that could have competed with PSU's.

ShinMaruku
Jan 24, 2014, 06:30 PM
You guys are over-rating Tri-Ace so hard :/ I think most of their games not named Valkyrie Profile are pretty mediocre. Especially looking at their most recent games... who the hell actually thought the last Star Ocean game was any good? I would at least hope the characters in this PS game aren't nearly as annoying.

No I rate sega that low

Emeraldcat89
Apr 7, 2014, 07:29 PM
I'm wondering, if i get the Jap version of the game, will they have a english selection on the thing ? ( Sorry, I know it sounds dumb but, I just wanted to ask. )

schnee4
Apr 8, 2014, 01:56 AM
I'm wondering, if i get the necro version of the game, will i still made a useless post?

no ( Sorry, you are dumb?, I just wanted to ask. )

ShinMaruku
Apr 8, 2014, 02:17 AM
I'm wondering, if i get the Jap version of the game, will they have a english selection on the thing ? ( Sorry, I know it sounds dumb but, I just wanted to ask. )

Nobody knows.

landman
Apr 8, 2014, 03:51 AM
no ( Sorry, you are dumb?, I just wanted to ask. )
I don't see anything wrong about having all doubts on Nova in one single post, specially if no new news are revealed.

FoCaster
Jun 3, 2014, 04:20 PM
Some new info on the game:

- character creation is more akin to PSO
- battle system will be different from PSO2
- areas will be unlocked as they progress

Source:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/phantasy-star-nova-borrows-elements-phantasy-star-online/

HIT0SHI
Jun 3, 2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Sp-24
Jun 3, 2014, 09:53 PM
there will be features such as costume destruction to add a touch of reality to it.Hahahaha, right.

Also, I wonder what does character creation being closer to original PSO mean, seeing how PSO2's character creator is a straight up upgrade over it. I'm guessing that it's just a lot more limited than in PSO2, and they're trying to sugar coat it by playing on nostalgia.

Kilich
Jun 3, 2014, 11:37 PM
Clothing destruction? What about their idea of hp is a photon forcefield?

Renvalt
Jun 4, 2014, 01:30 AM
Hahahaha, right.

Also, I wonder what does character creation being closer to original PSO mean, seeing how PSO2's character creator is a straight up upgrade over it. I'm guessing that it's just a lot more limited than in PSO2, and they're trying to sugar coat it by playing on nostalgia.

Seeing the gameplay in action.... does not make me have hopes for this game.

It looks to be a lot like a Ragnarok Odyssey clone, based on just how the game looks to play. And RagOd was extremely limited in playstyles and weapon choices. It, too, played on nostalgia for sales. Like literally, there was only, what, 2 bosses from Ragnarok Online; double that in the ACE version (though Lord of Death was the only one that wasn't a reskin of something else - Loli Ruri was just a reskinned Fenia/Menia, and I say this as someone who owns the game).

To summarize: I'm starting to see a pattern here. World of Warcraft had big numbers, so people went to try and copy that (for big profits, because money). Then when WoW became unpopular, Call of Duty became the next big thing to ride off of (again, because money). Now it seems like Monster Hunter is the next big "thing" to copy (again, because profits).

Heck, PSO2 may be a Vindi clone done right, but it's still VERY rough around the edges (and I put serious emphasis on the word VERY - much as I love the game, it has issues, and class balance ain't the only area I'm referring to). And if SEGA has to resort to using a MonHan/RagOd chassis with a PSO coat of paint to move units.... I'm wondering which among SEGA's management has gone senile to feel justified in pulling a stunt like this.

NOTE: Only read below if you care for a large ass semi-off topic rant.
[SPOILER-BOX]SEGA, I have only one thing to say to you: let your arrogance cloud your judgement like back in the past, and your software department MAY end up suffering the same fate as your hardware.

Because I'm PRETTY sure people are getting tired of this "reskin & repackage as something different" bullshit.

Nintendo needed Mario Kart 8 to revitalize its base (and the new Smash will only further reinforce this), whereas Yoshida taking FF14 on a WoW-style format was what saved the FF brand (though I stress he did this in more ways than one) and Squeenix as a whole. Then you have Inafune and Igarashi who left Capcom and Konami respectively (though the former left long before all this shit started flying) - all in all, we're starting to see the first Darwinian elimination of gaming's old guard.
Those who learn from the past will survive - anyone else fizzles out.[/SPOILER-BOX]

GoldenFalcon
Jun 4, 2014, 01:54 AM
You sure do have an angst-fueled hard-on for games using any recognizable features

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 02:25 AM
Seeing the gameplay in action.... does not make me have hopes for this game.

It looks to be a lot like a Ragnarok Odyssey clone, based on just how the game looks to play. And RagOd was extremely limited in playstyles and weapon choices. It, too, played on nostalgia for sales. Like literally, there was only, what, 2 bosses from Ragnarok Online; double that in the ACE version (though Lord of Death was the only one that wasn't a reskin of something else - Loli Ruri was just a reskinned Fenia/Menia, and I say this as someone who owns the game).

Heck, PSO2 may be a Vindi clone done right, but it's still VERY rough around the edges (and I put serious emphasis on the word VERY - much as I love the game, it has issues, and class balance ain't the only area I'm referring to). And if SEGA has to resort to using a MonHan/RagOd chassis with a PSO coat of paint to move units.... I'm wondering which among SEGA's management has gone senile to feel justified in pulling a stunt like this.

Jeez, no. Ragnarok Odyssey isn't bad, but in no way I see anything close to it being a clone of that, just because it's the only game next to Tokkiden that might play like MH. But just because of that it doesn't mean it's a clone.

PSO always had a completely different feel from the others hitting in that area. How in gods name does PSO2 even compare to Vindictus's playstyle. I played both and really find them quite different, as PSO2 give's a much better and smoother battle system.

Do remember the only video we had seen prolly was nothing more than an Alpha build of the game, you should expect it to change. I doubt PSN is gonna play on nostalgia as what we have was barely a rough translation.

I believe what they meant was it would give players the feeling of new discoveries.

Nilkemios
Jun 4, 2014, 02:39 AM
(After reading through ALL 37 pages up to now...)

Meh. After all the times they've screwed up, I have no faith in them at all. Only if this releases in the west/in english will I even think of getting it. And even then, only after I've seen enough to determine if it would actually be a good game or not.

Of course, I don't need to worry, since with SEGA's record, anything not involving that hedgehog of theirs has almost no chance of coming out here.

blace
Jun 4, 2014, 02:47 AM
They were first a competitor on the console market, then became third party with the fall of the Dreamcast, to being "that one company that created Sonic", to now "Sonic is Nintendo's bitch".

Of course the game wouldn't make it outside of Japan, if I recall somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that there were no plans to release the game as such.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 03:08 AM
It's really too early to ask for this game to be released overseas, if it was going to be. Any company would give the usual PR "No plans" I mean check out what XSEED claimed about Senran Kagura, before it was announced.

Sp-24
Jun 4, 2014, 03:10 AM
I believe what they meant was it would give players the feeling of new discoveries.
Come on, we know that those "new discoveries" will be a giant dragon, De Rol Le, Mines area, Gal Gryphon, Seabed and Olga Flow.

Also, nowadays, trying to recreate the PSO experience will brand your game as a Dark Souls clone.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 03:13 AM
If you want to believe that, then I guess you can. I'm not really gonna be negative this game, I have good hopes for this game, since Tri-Ace is gonna be working on it~

Renvalt
Jun 4, 2014, 03:20 AM
Jeez, no. Ragnarok Odyssey isn't bad, but in no way I see anything close to it being a clone of that, just because it's the only game next to Tokkiden that might play like MH. But just because of that it doesn't mean it's a clone.

Did I say RagOd was bad? No. I actually enjoy the game. I'm miffed that there's no Monk class (although I personally think they pulled the 2nd classes from the first tray - no Sader/Rogue/etc), but the game is still enjoyable.

Perhaps my intentions were not clear. Perhaps I should have said that the game does not capture as much of my interest due to what similarities that *I* see between it and ROAce.

And just so we're clear, the lack of Monk in RO-Ace isn't my only issue - they had Glast Heim in there but couldn't even bother to put in Dark Lord as an Utgardar Loki reskin/rehash? What about Abysmal Knight? How about Valkyrie Randgris in Odin's Shrine? Ungoliant (the bones exist for it in Fafnir/Hjahnir)? Heck, even Tao Gunka (out of place though he'd be in most of the areas) would have been fine.

I'm just bummed that they didn't use enough nostalgia-invoking bosses/classes/areas in the remake. But is it enough for me to hate the game? No - it's still fine as is. I just wish they could have done more with it.

PSO always had a completely different feel from the others hitting in that area. How in gods name does PSO2 even compare to Vindictus's playstyle. I played both and really find them quite different, as PSO2 give's a much better and smoother battle system.

It's not the battle system - the way the lobby feels and works is similar to Vindictus. Same with the areas - although I admit PSO2 does everything better. I just get miffed over what content - and how much of it - is locked behind EQ barriers or is only findable via someone else barging into your MPA when you'd rather be alone (as it is in my case).

Do remember the only video we had seen prolly was nothing more than an Alpha build of the game, you should expect it to change. I doubt PSN is gonna play on nostalgia as what we have was barely a rough translation.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself. Even then, I doubt it'd really matter, since I don't own a PS-Vita. It'll at least be interesting to watch the importers play it and see if I might want to actually bother getting a Vita.

---------------

Right now, I have issues about PSO2 and worries that PSNov will stick too close to the whole formula of MonHan/RagOd, but I don't know enough to make an informed opinion here.

The issues I have with PSO2 are too numerous to discuss here, but I'll simply say this: class balance ain't the only issue I have with PSO2.

blace
Jun 4, 2014, 03:38 AM
It's really too early to ask for this game to be released overseas, if it was going to be. Any company would give the usual PR "No plans" I mean check out what XSEED claimed about Senran Kagura, before it was announced.

I'd like to point out that PSP2i was never released anywhere outside of Japan and with PSP2 the game was long abandoned and left to fend for itself against the community. There's also PSO2 that was announced 2 years ago with no news or updates regarding the game. Comparing a company that primarily creates IP's to a company that localizes them isn't the same thing.

Pardon my less than optimistic remarks towards SEGA as the local branches continue to get shafted with more and more of their staff being let go and we're not seeing anything that isn't Sonic related.

It's already been shown time and time again that they would rather cater to their own region and its natives than to try and risk it in the worldwide market. If you would like to count PSO2 SEA and TW, sure, however we were given information of the game at PAX EAST in 2012 stating a release in 2013 and they have missed that mark by a long, long way. Doesn't help that they discourage talk about it on their Facebook page and ignoring all talks of the game on their forums and comments.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 04:07 AM
I can assume you aren't aware of the danger that was piracy, and putting mostly anything in the west on the PSP was just asking to lose money? That's really the only reason PSP2i didn't get translated.

Also SEGA not doing stuff that's not Sonic related, isn't really true. Miss Miku has gotten some nice attention. Project DIVA sold out two times now, which is impressive.

It's not that SEGA doesn't care for it's overseas fans, they are just testing to see what works, while staying a functional company really.

PSO2 NA is coming, when? Who knows, maybe we'll see something at E3. It's a given seeing how SEGA has acknowledged it.

Edit: PR is PR, there's really nothing else about it. You never tell anyone, what isn't confirmed. XSEED=SEGA of America. As they both would be considered localization workers. Due to PSO2 or PSN being a japanese game.

blace
Jun 4, 2014, 04:18 AM
I can assume you aren't aware of the danger that was piracy, and putting mostly anything in the west on the PSP was just asking to lose money? That's really the only reason PSP2i didn't get translated.

Also SEGA not doing stuff that's not Sonic related, isn't really true. Miss Miku has gotten some nice attention. Project DIVA sold out two times now, which is impressive.

It's not that SEGA doesn't care for it's overseas fans, they are just testing to see what works, while staying a functional company really.

PSO2 NA is coming, when? Who knows, maybe we'll see something at E3. It's a given seeing how SEGA has acknowledged it.
You may or may not recall this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182723) addressing the security issue with people being able to hop online without needing the shiny codes they created. It was never enforced nor has it come to bear any fruit.

With Project Diva, they have permission to use the IP to create games for, but they are not the copyright holder for anything related to Vocaloid nor the songs used, but the content holder for the assets and DLC created for the games. Yes, it is something many have had interest in, interest enough to give the game a local release.

The difference being that Vocaloid is a joint IP not a direct product of SEGA as they do not have the full rights to the characters, songs and design only express permission to create games based on it.

SEGA had a chance to announce PSO2 in the past 2 years they were at E3, I'm not holding out on any chance of getting anymore localized Phantasy Star content, without the need to import.

SoJ heads what SoA and SoE put out. They've been doing this since the 90's with the Genesis.

Their track record isn't the greatest to look at nor has it really deviated much in the past few years, with dwindling titles being brought over and a few localized games created under their mantle.

Edit: I'm a tad miffed from lack of sleep and a certain game that relies heavily on teamwork and communication being thrown down the drain after all the effort of playing a supportive role.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 04:26 AM
The little wing license didn't work, still dealing with the issue of PSP2 not really selling, quite a few of the players online pirated the game. Thus no real reason to bring over PSP2i as they would lose even more money. It's SEGA/Sony's fault though. So you can't 100% dump it all on SEGA.

Also Yakuza suffers the same issue, Dead Souls flopped. I guess SEGA seen that as the fans lost interest in the series and stopped with Yakuza.

With PD, it's just to show SEGA does do other things. Who holds the IP really has nothing to do with it. As they were willing to give the game a chance overseas.

And of course SoJ is the boss, they are the parent company. Kinda what I was getting at with the XSEED=SEGA of America note.

blace
Jun 4, 2014, 04:34 AM
The little wing license didn't work, still dealing with the issue of PSP2 not really selling, quite a few of the players online pirated the game. Thus no real reason to bring over PSP2i as they would lose even more money. It's SEGA/Sony's fault though. So you can't 100% dump it all on SEGA.

Also Yakuza suffers the same issue, Dead Souls flopped. I guess SEGA seen that as the fans lost interest in the series and stopped with Yakuza.

With PD, it's just to show SEGA does do other things. Who holds the IP really has nothing to do with it. As they were willing to give the game a chance overseas.

And of course SoJ is the boss, they are the parent company. Kinda what I was getting at with the XSEED=SEGA of America note.
Lack of advertising and generally relying on word of mouth rather than creating a budget to advertise any IP other than Sonic.

Still with no real notice of anything PS related, and with how their general PS forums on their site being any indicator, we won't be seeing a localized title any time in the foreseeable future.

Nilkemios
Jun 6, 2014, 02:44 AM

The sad irony being that Sega originally started as an American company (for servicing machines on military bases or something like that, if memory serves) Then the Japanese branch came along later, but things went mostly alright until some of the higher-ups started making stupid decisions...but that's another topic entirely.

metatime
Jun 6, 2014, 08:06 AM
The sad irony being that Sega originally started as an American company (for servicing machines on military bases or something like that, if memory serves) Then the Japanese branch came along later, but things went mostly alright until some of the higher-ups started making stupid decisions...but that's another topic entirely.

Eh that was back in the 50s and 60s and the JP were the one that did almost everything when they took over in the 80s

FoCaster
Jun 10, 2014, 02:37 PM
A new story trailer ' u '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzDntPwr9eQ

Shinamori
Jun 10, 2014, 02:51 PM
This like is, a week old, isn't it?

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jun 10, 2014, 04:14 PM
PSPI2 is actually Sonys fault ill tell you why the game was made after the Vita came out now Sony stopped all PSP support in the west after the Vita came out so games like God eater 2 PSPI2 FF type O weren't allowed to be released in the west by Sony because they thought the PSP was dead in the west

as far as PSO2 and PS Nova goes the blame lies on Sega

blace
Jun 10, 2014, 04:42 PM
PSPI2 is actually Sonys fault ill tell you why the game was made after the Vita came out now Sony stopped all PSP support in the west after the Vita came out so games like God eater 2 PSPI2 FF type O weren't allowed to be released in the west by Sony because they thought the PSP was dead in the west

as far as PSO2 and PS Nova goes the blame lies on Sega

Doesn't explain why games have been localized for the PSP after the Vita has been around, but okay.

I'd understand the case of PSP2i and FF type 0, but God Eater 2 is also a Vita game. Why that wasn't localized is due to the poor sales of God Eater Burst in the west when it had games like Monster Hunter to compete with.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jun 10, 2014, 04:56 PM
God eater 2 was likely due to the devs or publishers not impressed with the Vita sales in the west God eater burst was published by Namco in Eu and D3 in NA which there owned by Namco now we are just getting Tales of hearts R in english which is developed and published by Namco going under that Namco recently seen that the Vita is potentially profitable in the west so God eater 2 was likely due to Namco being stuck up and looking at poor Vita sales and saying it's not worth our time to pay money for a game that will flop