PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please

CorneliusPower
Apr 10, 2003, 11:27 PM
Hello fellow PSOWers, I am in great need of help and any reply would be 100% appreciated.
Ok, I have a PC and a GC both hooked up to a Lynksys Router, my PC's upload and download are flawless. My GC get massives amounts of lag spikes, sometime I time out and sometimes it takes a year to choose a ship. Sometimes i even get stuck on "Connecting to DNS Server" screen. Well i hads 2 techs come out to look at my cable lines, I have adelphia Powerlink cable internet, no conflict. I was on the phone with Lynksys 2 nights in a row, my GC is 1 month old and I have 2 BBA adapters. There has been no problems on my PC but like I said my PSO connection is full of lag spike hell, a-la-teleport. Just a side note, my current set up has been the same for 6 months and the reason for the new equipment, GC, router, bba, is to rule out possibilities. I run WIN XP. Please reply.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 10, 2003, 11:43 PM
Try switching the ethernet cable you use for the gamecube. Weird, but that's sometimes the bitch.

CorneliusPower
Apr 11, 2003, 12:33 AM
Tried that Snap......

soralan
Apr 11, 2003, 11:29 AM
what port on the router do you haver the cable plugged into?

mines plugged into the uplink port, and not the 1/2/3/4 ones as advised, and i have had no problems.

Have you tried using the same port on the pc?

soralan
Apr 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
o yes, and make sure its not running parallel to any electrical cables that could cause noise, that could be causing interferance as well.

CorneliusPower
Apr 11, 2003, 05:28 PM
On 2003-04-11 09:31, soralan wrote:
o yes, and make sure its not running parallel to any electrical cables that could cause noise, that could be causing interferance as well.

Parallel........?__?
So I should try putting just my GC ethernet cord in the uplink port and keep my PC in its regular PORT 1 slot?? I really appreciate the reply, but explain this to me like Im a 6 yr old.

2Xtreme
Apr 11, 2003, 11:15 PM
I'd just run the line coming out of your cable modem into the WAN port of the router. This port isn't hard to find because there's only one of them. Now, connect your PC to the first LAN port (I'm assuming you have 4) and the GameCube to the second. If this is what you're doing, or if your problems persist, then your GameCube probably isn't getting enough bandwidth.

One simple thing that you can do to free up bandwidth is to make sure you aren't uploading ANYTHING. Uploading kills bandwidth. This means that you should turn off file sharing on any P2P (Kazaa, Napster, etc) programs that you have.

If this doesn't help, try buying a second ethernet card for your computer. Then, after downloading the internet connection sharing wizard, you can choose how much bandwidth your GameCube and your PC recieve, instead of letting the router decide.

CorneliusPower
Apr 12, 2003, 03:11 AM
well to tell you all the truth I really appreciate all your replies. And that I actually did so much experimentng, resetting IPCONFIG, trying different ports 1-4, called Lynksys, called Adelphia. All of a sudden everything is working FINE. Im back. So many thanks to the 3 above for caring.
--------------FIXED----------------
Prolly ISP......i dunno.