PDA

View Full Version : My rant on the X-Box ( not PSO related )

rayner
Apr 11, 2003, 08:40 AM
I have been playing video-games for 22 years. I've owned almost every home console system. This is why I will not buy an X-Box.

1. It's friggin huge. It's bigger than a Genesis hooked with the Sega C.D, bigger than a Turbo Duo. It's bigger than my VCR for crying out loud. lol

2. It's made by Microsoft. Doesn't Gates have enough money already?

3. There are no games available that want me to go out and purchase it. Panzer Drogoon Orta came close, but not close enough.

4. What's with the ugly green boxes? It's screaming look I play video-games.

5. I don't play sports games. At least not the ones you can take seriously.

I can care less of the power of a system, it basically comes down to presentability, games available & non-green boxes. lol

P.S to all my friends, stop buggin' me to by an X-Box. It ain't gonna happen. lol

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 11, 2003, 09:47 AM
*sigh*

Bill Gates made the system in hopes for people to play Computer type games on a console without lag. Size doesn't matter either...wow, it's ugly, but it's effective? Yes, very effective and more reliable than any game system I have previously owned. The Xbox isn't a terrible system, you just tend to overlook the good games by looking at the bad ones and ranting on them...anyways, I don't play sports games either, but the way the controller is set up, it's more of a First Person Shooter console to me

Just my $.03

TeamPhalanx
Apr 11, 2003, 10:21 AM
Eh? I don't see how the green boxes comment is valid (didn't find it to be funny either).

I mean, are you for some reason or another ashamed to have a video game machine that looks like a video game machine? If so... Why do you have a gamecube?

The X-Box does have some (very little) gems. For example, if you're a Mech fan, you have to get a X-Box and Steel Battalion.

rayner
Apr 11, 2003, 10:31 AM
On 2003-04-11 07:47, Omni-SqwirL wrote:
*sigh*

Bill Gates made the system in hopes for people to play Computer type games on a console without lag. Size doesn't matter either...wow, it's ugly, but it's effective? Yes, very effective and more reliable than any game system I have previously owned. The Xbox isn't a terrible system, you just tend to overlook the good games by looking at the bad ones and ranting on them...anyways, I don't play sports games either, but the way the controller is set up, it's more of a First Person Shooter console to me

Just my $.03

Hehe, I didn't say any of the games are bad from my post. It's that none of the games are good enough for me to buy the monstrosity. lol If I want to play P.C type games I'll play them on my P.C. It's wonderful to be able to Hot key as opposed to too many buttons to press. lol

Don't get me wrong Halo is a great game... is it good enough for me to go out and buy the green box? Nope. I'll repeat, it is not a bad game it's rather good, but First person shooters get old real fast with me.

If a Transformers Action / RPG came out on the X-Box only then I might have to buy it, until then I'll make due with Playstation 2 & Game Cube. lol

rayner
Apr 11, 2003, 10:45 AM
On 2003-04-11 08:21, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Eh? I don't see how the green boxes comment is valid (didn't find it to be funny either).

I mean, are you for some reason or another ashamed to have a video game machine that looks like a video game machine? If so... Why do you have a gamecube?

The X-Box does have some (very little) gems. For example, if you're a Mech fan, you have to get a X-Box and Steel Battalion.

I'm talking about the green boxes the games come in. Not the actual console. I keep my Playstation 2 games & Game Cube games with my DvD's. Where the consoles are not visible. So those green boxes will stick out like a sore thumb.

P.S the X-Box looks more like a VCR than a video-game machine. lol

TeamPhalanx
Apr 11, 2003, 11:44 AM
I suppose it's subjective. I like things that stand out.

Either way, it's not that much of a big deal. SEGA SATURN game cases were by far the worst. At least you have the option of putting the X-Box games with the other DVDs.

rayner
Apr 11, 2003, 12:15 PM
On 2003-04-11 09:44, TeamPhalanx wrote:

Either way, it's not that much of a big deal. SEGA SATURN game cases were by far the worst. At least you have the option of putting the X-Box games with the other DVDs.

That is so true, what were they thinking? I also disliked the Cardboard boxes of NES & SNES games. Genesis and even the Master System had plastic boxes. After awhile they even started shipping NES games without the dust jacket... saving on shipping costs. lol

LordCronai
Apr 11, 2003, 03:05 PM
Despite the Nintendo fanboy I am, I have to say it just boils down to the style of games you prefer and the amount of cash in your wallet.

Ranger_Larry
Apr 13, 2003, 12:51 PM
You could make the argument that the GC looks like a cheap little piece of junk. Also, the xbox simply has...a larger disk drive, a hard drive, a huge graphics chip/card, built in ethernet,ect. It has to be somewhat large. I have em all, and aside from PSO on GC, xbox gets more time from me than the other consoles. PS2, while looking sleek, and not being as deep, is just as wide. I can't fit it under my tv any better than the xbox. In fact the xbox worked out better because the drive door is on the other side http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Shrevn
Apr 14, 2003, 10:54 PM
Why cant some people just admit they cant afford one... and move on...
I didnt like Xbox in the begining neither but i never badmouthed it cause i knew it was a great system. After i bought one i knew the POWER OF X
so until youved owned one youll know whats capable of doing... and if you dont like the games THEN WHY GET IT?!?!?!? am i the only one who see's a problem w/ that?!?!?!

NekoHikari
Apr 15, 2003, 01:11 AM
You say you've been playing video games for 22 years?

Hmmmm... interesting...

Perhaps this will peak your interest.

On my XBOX right now, I have every single console video game ever created before Playstation. Every emulator you've ever had on your PC I have on my XBOX, with a slight difference.

Let's say I'm playing Secret of Mana. I know that in your 22 years of experience playing games, you must have played it. Now most of us are aware that in that game are the boy, the girl, and the sprite. Let's say I'm using the Boy. I'm running around swinging my sword, having fun... when along comes the Girl. She becomes a permanent teammate of mine.
So I call up my friend, who also has all of this on his XBOX, and I tell him to take control of the Girl. He turns on his XBOX, connects to my IP and presses the start button on his controller. Now he's the Girl. We run along and kill things, and along comes the Sprite. Again, I call another friend, and have him control the Sprite. Now we have a three player game of Secret of Mana going when we're all in different houses across town from each other. And mind you, Las Vegas is quite big.

And that's just the beginning.

There are many more things you can do with an XBOX that most people don't realize. It is without a doubt the best video game console ever created, and it's only your experience as a gamer that made me reply to your post. I too have been playing video games for many, many years, and I can tell you that the XBOX is simply the best buy of all systems. In the near future, the XBOX will be able to permanently store not only emulated games, but also games of any format. By that I mean Playstation, PS2, Gamecube, you name it- right now we are very, very close to getting Dreamcast games to work, and these will be permanently stored, meaning you won't need the disc but once.

Oh, and I forgot to mention- if you do get an XBOX after all, get two. This is because having LIVE on your box and having it modded is not a good idea. I have a LIVE BOX, and a MOD BOX, and that's pretty much all I'll need.

MasterJoel
Apr 15, 2003, 02:13 AM
i honestly hate the xbox because at this point there is no interesting games... but now you say you can play secret of mana on it? there is actually 2 of them in my household, and i never play any of them, because bill gates hasn't any fun games. can you pm me about how to get these games on the xbox? i would love you forever...

HotWaterDeath
Apr 15, 2003, 09:31 PM
Not the biggest fan of the system, I personally believe its an aesthetic nightmare...but that's just me. However, Jet Set Future is on this system and that alone merits a purchase....well that and that new game being developed by the same fellows that put out Black&White...I believe the game is Fable or something. It could be neat.

rayner
Apr 17, 2003, 10:42 AM
On 2003-04-14 23:11, NekoHikari wrote:
You say you've been playing video games for 22 years?

Hmmmm... interesting...

Perhaps this will peak your interest.

On my XBOX right now, I have every single console video game ever created before Playstation. Every emulator you've ever had on your PC I have on my XBOX, with a slight difference.

Let's say I'm playing Secret of Mana. I know that in your 22 years of experience playing games, you must have played it. Now most of us are aware that in that game are the boy, the girl, and the sprite. Let's say I'm using the Boy. I'm running around swinging my sword, having fun... when along comes the Girl. She becomes a permanent teammate of mine.
So I call up my friend, who also has all of this on his XBOX, and I tell him to take control of the Girl. He turns on his XBOX, connects to my IP and presses the start button on his controller. Now he's the Girl. We run along and kill things, and along comes the Sprite. Again, I call another friend, and have him control the Sprite. Now we have a three player game of Secret of Mana going when we're all in different houses across town from each other. And mind you, Las Vegas is quite big.

And that's just the beginning.

There are many more things you can do with an XBOX that most people don't realize. It is without a doubt the best video game console ever created, and it's only your experience as a gamer that made me reply to your post. I too have been playing video games for many, many years, and I can tell you that the XBOX is simply the best buy of all systems. In the near future, the XBOX will be able to permanently store not only emulated games, but also games of any format. By that I mean Playstation, PS2, Gamecube, you name it- right now we are very, very close to getting Dreamcast games to work, and these will be permanently stored, meaning you won't need the disc but once.

Oh, and I forgot to mention- if you do get an XBOX after all, get two. This is because having LIVE on your box and having it modded is not a good idea. I have a LIVE BOX, and a MOD BOX, and that's pretty much all I'll need.

Heheh... If I want to play Secret of Mana I'll take it out for my SNES. I am pretty anal about emulators and will NEVER play an emulated game. I agree it would be cool if you can call your friends and have them play, but my friends sucked at the game to begin with and I rather have the computer take control. lol

I am so anal I will not even buy a Greatest Hits version of a game. It has to be the origional. Also it's not about the $$$ for buying an X-Box as I hear it's going down to $159 soon. There is just no game that calls out to me to buy it. If Robotech Battlecry was X-Box only then I would have bought an X-Box for it.

P.S I don't have room for 1 X-box... nevermind 2. lol Unless I had a room dedicated to video-games only... then maybe http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

CajunSamurai
Apr 20, 2003, 05:58 AM
P.S the X-Box looks more like a VCR than a video-game machine. lol
And the PS2 doesn't? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I personally really dig the Xbox design. Yeah, it's just about as big as my VCR (and even more heavy), but it gets the job done.

For me, the Sega games on the system sealed the deal. Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 3... All incredible games.
Splinter Cell may just be my favorite game on the console, and it's not even a Sega title. Of course, you can now get it on multiple systems, so I guess it's a bit irrelavant now.
I love how MS is putting some real effort into making sure its online play succeeds, too. Incorperating voice chat into every Live game was a stroke of genius.

Now, that all said, I also love my Gamecube and PS2 for just as many reasons. Yeah, it gives great pain to my wallet and bank account, but owning all three consoles is the only way for me to go.