PDA

View Full Version : Why xbox pso was delayed

LouisGB
Apr 11, 2003, 12:32 PM
i e-mailed xbox.com and asked what the big delay was caused by and they said that it was somthing to do with the xbox encryption.

this got me thinking of somthing i read earlier this month

This is from the code maker "Barubary" that hacked codes (for cheat devices) on the Dreamcast versions of Phantasy Star Online. He posted this on the GSCCC forums. -AnimeUSA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trial version of PSO now out in Japan on the Gamecube has already been cheated. There have been level 200 people floating around on the Gamecube servers - I wish someone had a screen shot of this.

These people cheat by connecting their Gamecube modem to their PC modem and faking a PPP server. From there, they send fake packets to the client that cause it to update its character data, then save and quit to make it permanent. (It uses the same mechanism that the real server uses to delete hacked stats from your characters.)

I had no direct involvement with this, nor did anyone else in GSCCC. The reality is that I broke the DC/PC PSO's internet protocol encryption and gave the source code to a Japanese cheater. From him it spread to others. Apparently, Sonic Team wasn't smart enough to change the internet protocol encryption from the DC/PC version to the Gamecube version, and this cheating is the result of it.

In short, blame me for the protocol encryption but don't blame me for Gamecube PSO being hacked. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Sonic Team could use some Confucian training. (Actually, haven't they been fooled 4 times? I count 4 versions using the same protocol encryption I broke in version 1: v1, v2, PC, Gamecube.)

-- Barubary

I'm very disappointed in this.

so it appears that xbox pso was delayed so that the encryption could be changed so that it wouldnt get hacked like GC, pc and DC were.

this should be in the news section http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (do i get credited)

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Apr 11, 2003, 01:36 PM
Hehe, actually, Barubary deserves the credit. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif But thanks for reporting this to us, its really helpful in soothing the "Why, oh, why!?" complaints.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy on 2003-04-11 11:36 ]</font>

Joe-Azlin
Apr 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
On 2003-04-11 10:32, LouisGB wrote:
i e-mailed xbox.com and asked what the big delay was caused by and they said that it was somthing to do with the xbox encryption.

this got me thinking of somthing i read earlier this month

This is from the code maker "Barubary" that hacked codes (for cheat devices) on the Dreamcast versions of Phantasy Star Online. He posted this on the GSCCC forums. -AnimeUSA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trial version of PSO now out in Japan on the Gamecube has already been cheated. There have been level 200 people floating around on the Gamecube servers - I wish someone had a screen shot of this.

These people cheat by connecting their Gamecube modem to their PC modem and faking a PPP server. From there, they send fake packets to the client that cause it to update its character data, then save and quit to make it permanent. (It uses the same mechanism that the real server uses to delete hacked stats from your characters.)

I had no direct involvement with this, nor did anyone else in GSCCC. The reality is that I broke the DC/PC PSO's internet protocol encryption and gave the source code to a Japanese cheater. From him it spread to others. Apparently, Sonic Team wasn't smart enough to change the internet protocol encryption from the DC/PC version to the Gamecube version, and this cheating is the result of it.

In short, blame me for the protocol encryption but don't blame me for Gamecube PSO being hacked. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Sonic Team could use some Confucian training. (Actually, haven't they been fooled 4 times? I count 4 versions using the same protocol encryption I broke in version 1: v1, v2, PC, Gamecube.)

-- Barubary

I'm very disappointed in this.

so it appears that xbox pso was delayed so that the encryption could be changed so that it wouldnt get hacked like GC, pc and DC were.

this should be in the news section http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (do i get credited)

if what this says is true than i think xbox pso will b awsome but still a lot of money haha.

MonoxideChild
Apr 11, 2003, 03:23 PM
Normally I would flame Barbury for doing this, but my hat goes off to him. Yeah we had to wait longer for PSOX, but then again he's making sure that Sonic Team is actually doing work on PSO.

LouisGB
Apr 11, 2003, 03:55 PM
one guy has delayed a major game by months, thats quite an achievement. i dont hate the guy though, people like him make the game more interesting and will be building the homebrew servers when the offical one have packed up and are long gone

Wriath
Apr 11, 2003, 04:52 PM
how long? not the fifteenth? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (takes breath) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO

SilencePSO
Apr 11, 2003, 07:32 PM
It will be out the 15th, it was supposed to be out in Febuary, that's what he means when he says it was delayed.

Wriath
Apr 11, 2003, 08:52 PM
its owrth it. besides, i didnt check out pso again till a while after we sold dc and pso. i missed it so...... we couldnt get online with it then (damn aol) but now we have cable + comcast. noly rares wehre frying pan, soul eater, and dragon slayer

LouisGB
Apr 12, 2003, 09:41 AM
so does this go in the news section?