PDA

View Full Version : My laptop woes.

Tyreek
Oct 2, 2013, 05:01 AM
Well, this may have already been forseen, but it looks like my laptop is fucked. I was doing the usual recording with fraps on PSU, and suffered lagging complications, as usual. I also had Razer Game Booster active before shit started. So while I ended up having another recording ruined, I stopped and went to my D: drive, where I do all my recordings, and noticed my laptop was getting very slow as it was trying to load the thumbnail for the file. So I tried to delete it. No go there. It still hanged horrificaly. I noticed my desktop was following suit, so I restarted. It became very slow as well, so I did a hard reset.

Next thing I went to do was disk check the drive. I had a hard enough time trying to delete what was in it. That had issues as well, as it just sat there and hanged after a few files processed. I figured I'd give it time, so I went to sleep. I wake up about two hours later and find that it hasn't budged an inch. Usually its my portable drive that takes so long, but this became a problem. So I canceled it and restarted. I took a chance to get into the. D drive again, and this time I could delete the whole folder. Took a minute but it registered. I thought I fixed everything, but I was far from correct. My laptop remained slow and I couldn't even open my browser and skype told me there was an I/O error. So I backed up my folder of backup saves, unfortunately it couldn't save my latest save, but I got the past ones. And then I disk checked my C: drive. Over 12 bad sectors found, and it ended up hanging in the process.

So now after all that I was like, fuck it, and got my installation disk to reformat. I tried to install, but then it told me it couldn't due to corrupted files on the drive? :/ So I restarted in safe mode and did it again. Went through. I thought I was finally out of the mess...

...No.

My laptop now gives me a BSOD after booting to windows. And even booting safe mode does the same. The setup disk is loading slow as fuck now with the options it gives me. I'm in deep shit if I can't get this fixed. I have no up to date computer for my needs other than this laptop, and I had this since '08. If nothing can be done, I'll have to indefinitely halt my PSU project, as well as being unable to play well... Anything. Lol I may be forced to remigrate to my old Acer desktop that I use for storage, but I guess its better than nothing. I have no money anywhere near getting a replacement.

So here I am, typing on my phone, bawling over my beloved laptop that served me well in school and through these projects. Anyone had this experience? Any help. Pretty much... I'm fucked as is.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 3, 2013, 12:15 AM
fraps
PSU
Razer

Do you like the pain?

Is there a way for you to get to the setup screen for the mobo? Maybe see if that gives you any restore options?

Tyreek
Oct 3, 2013, 08:50 AM
Do you like the pain?

Is there a way for you to get to the setup screen for the mobo? Maybe see if that gives you any restore options?

I'm a masochist what can I say? The end result is worth it though. Anyway, by some miracle, and over 4 BSODs, it decided to work correctly and install. Thank god for that. I lost all the available files that should have been saved on that laptop though. But that's all replaceable. I got what I needed. And thankfully just in time before the big blue death.

... I couldn't give 2 shits over PSO2 getting deleted.

Atbar
Oct 4, 2013, 09:54 AM
I remembered when my laptop died. I remember being annoyed by it because it died off in like three or four years while my old dinosaur desktop computer lasted a decade before I replaced that when I attended a tech college for a couple years.

Tyreek
Oct 12, 2013, 02:46 AM
Well, I think I'll be reworking this thread to be my personal venting against my laptop's issues. I have more things to share. S'cuse me while I give my rant a proper title....

... Annnnd done. *poof*

So a day after my reformat, I decided to open the ol' laptop up, and attempt to give it the cleaning it deserves. Conquered my fear of breaking anything fragile, and actually undid the wifi nodes on the back. The rest came one by one. Unscrewing every damn screw I came across as I read my printout instructions. Almost freaked out taking the keyboard out, as it looked like I yanked the connector from the motheboard, but it was alright. Proceded to undo the LCD and ended up finding a part I had no clue how to undo, so I left it.

Next thing, and possibly the most integral to completely taking apart the laptop was 3 screws that were under the LCD. First one, no problem. 2nd one, I had a problem...

Third one... OMFG why the FUCK are you screwed so fucking tight?!!!

Unbelievable. I ended up spending a fucking hour on this fucking tiny screw, alternating with the only two screwdrivers, that are small enough to unscrew things this small... These are all phillips head screws btw. I eventually hurt my hand with this fucking thing, and I think at this point, I stripped the screw, so now its even harder on me.

My mom got up that morning, recommended me this... I forgot what its called, but you spray it to unloosen tight or rusted screws. Gave it a spray, and stupidly didn't shield the open space around that screw, so it ended up touching other places. I used a cue tip and swabbed parts of the exposed motherboard, and waited around until it dried. 20 minutes later, still nothing. I started this shit at 4AM, its was officialy 9:28AM. I was so steamed and tired at this shit. I gave up and put everything back together as best I could. About 25% into recompiling, I put the wrong screw in the incorrect slot, and heard a "pop" a I tightened it. It got stuck to whatever was supposed to keep it tight at the bottom. As I checked, I noticed a brown ring at the spot on the motherboard, where the screw was. FUCK! I think I scratched it. Eventually, I was able to press that screw off the slot, and apply the correct one.

Among my decompiling, I couldn't disconnect the hard drive, and the DVD drive. Had no clue how to do it, and was afraid to break anything, so I let them be. The top case of the chassis is loose though, so I can lift it, and what do I see?

The gold mine, my conquest. The GPU and heatsink, which is caked in dust. The one thing I want to reach in and scrub the fuck out of. And I can't, because of ONE. FUCKING. SCREW!!!!

So fast forward to a reconnected laptop, I have everything in order, save 2 screws, which I have no clue which goes where. But I'm saving them until the next adventure into my laptop. I send my prayers to god and hope by almighty this thing will not catch fire when I press the power button. It turns on. Everything is normal. Seems like it.

More to come from the week probably a later time. I rather let it sink in the thread a bit before continuing.