PDA

View Full Version : PC How To, And Is It Worth Trying To Go From V2 to BB?

Titler
Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hi all, first post here; I recently upgraded from WinXP to Win7, and have spent the last few days getting as many of all my old games to work in the later OS... some were able to be improved, like Quake 1, and some I need to run through DOSBox now sadly, such as Settlers 2. As you can see, I'm a shameless hoarder of the old classics! Which brings me to this thread;

I've an install of Phantasy Star Online on my old XP drive; I've not played it in maybe 5 years, but as a fan of the original on the Master System (my first console!) I kept it around. I've managed to just about get it up and running offline on Win7, but it looks horrible now, and as far as I can recall, there's no full text chat with v2?

I also have a 110 Formal character save, named after Alis Landale. I'd like to be able to keep using here, rather than let go her gentle into that good night...

So, questions! Firstly is it possible to move my v2 save over to Blue Burst if I can find a copy on eBay? Secondly, is there any way to play it online if I do? I've read these forums and around and about a bit, but it seems naughty servers with spyware and modified clients are involved. I don't want any of that, just to play PSO as I remember it, and the new official content I didn't get in V2.

Community isn't important, as such. I tended to solo anyway, but it would be nice to chat properly with those I see!

So is it worth trying to go any further with PSO, or should I just learn to accept the badly-upscaled graphics and keep plugging away offline with my V2?

AlexCraig
Oct 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
Depending on the server you play on, you will have different experiences. Some have huge communities, but changed a lot of the content to where it doesn't feel the same as the original. Others are quiet and have small populace, but have only slight changes that benefit the player. I tend to play on the latter.

In my opinion, it'd be a great experience for you to upgrade to Blue Burst, so that you can get the newer/updated content. You can still Solo or play with others, that is entirely up to you.