PDA

View Full Version : Ninjitsu History, TMNT, PSO and how it all fits together

ShadowCaster
Apr 12, 2003, 10:08 AM
Ok I was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles today (yes that's right the best show to EVER be sjown on TV is back on again)ok well anyways, they told a brief Ninjitsu history, they said that the great Ninjitsu/Sword master MUSASHI made great kitanas and that he beelieved that the kitana truly had a soul, a Soul of Steel And that was the end of that, but this struck me and I satrted laughing, but then I realized (if you know anything about TMNT) The Shredder (Main Villain) his Real name is YamatoYoshi. I dunno bout Tsmukiri J-Sword, Asuka, Sange,Yasha, or Yamui, but they deffinately have something to do with the Masters of Ninjitsu, and not the made up, in game Masters I originally thought they were.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/sprite.gif

Ya, I am a dork/nerd/loser but whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowCaster on 2003-04-12 08:10 ]</font>

TeamPhalanx
Apr 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
MUSASHI, YAMATO, etc. are all common names in Japanese history and myths. eg// Brave Fencer Musashi by SQUARE.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Apr 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
Yes, just about everything in PSO has something to do with history. Mag names are Sankrit Indian Gods and Goddesses, weapons are named after historically famous weapons, and so on. This is a new find though, a very good one at that.

rena-ko
Apr 12, 2003, 10:28 AM
musashi was a great samurai - when i remember right he was the one that invented 2 sword-fighting style.

he's a legendary as well because of his final battle with koujirou.
(btw... musashi and koujirou are the japanese names of pokemon's team rocket's jesse and james ^_^)

LamerPanda
Apr 12, 2003, 11:49 AM
On 2003-04-12 08:28, rena-ko wrote:
(btw... musashi and koujirou are the japanese names of pokemon's team rocket's jesse and james ^_^)

There's also Yamato, though she's only in 3 or 4 episodes...

...er, yeah, I'm dork/nerd/loser as well.

ABDUR101
Apr 12, 2003, 12:49 PM
..I thought this was more well-known already. =X

Stalfos333
Apr 12, 2003, 01:44 PM
I'd just like to mention that the style of the swordsman Musashi was not Ninjitsu, that "ninjas" are classically assassins where samurai, like Musashi, are bodyguards and vassals to feudal lords, and that the names of numerous "japanese-type" characters are based upon famous Japanese historical figures.

Shinimori
Apr 12, 2003, 01:53 PM
but Masamune family in my opion is the best
he made the masamune

Droxitr
Apr 12, 2003, 01:55 PM
Yamato is also one of the oldest names for Japan as well.

Eclypse
Apr 12, 2003, 03:07 PM
Masamune wasn't the name of a family, it was the name of 1 of three legendary Japanese swords makers. Along with Murasame, and Muramasa. These three legendary swordsmiths are very similar in the fact that they made swords with fold counts that would make you think they used modern technology to do so. I could go deeper in-depth about them seeing as I had to write about them in an Ancient World History Class, but since this is PSO and not history class, I will stop here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eclypse on 2003-04-12 13:08 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Apr 12, 2003, 03:29 PM
Only a ninja can kill another ninja (http://www.realultimatepower.net/)

Ranger_Larry
Apr 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
I think not. The most lethal people in the world work for the various U.S. armed services...and it's a good thing they are on our side http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Elusive_Llama
Apr 12, 2003, 04:22 PM
You actually thought I was serious? lol

Btw, click on that link.

Mister_Sinister
Apr 12, 2003, 09:25 PM
TMNT are teh roxx0rz

LordCronai
Apr 12, 2003, 09:45 PM
On 2003-04-12 08:08, ShadowCaster wrote:

On 2003-04-12 09:49, LamerPanda wrote:
...er, yeah, I'm dork/nerd/loser as well.

We all are =)

On 2003-04-12 19:25, Mister_Sinister wrote:
TMNT are teh roxx0rz

w00t!

By the way that real ultimate power link was hilarious XD

Tseng
Apr 12, 2003, 09:50 PM
Look this is all I know... and it isn't much.

Miyamoto Musashi was one of the founding father of Kobujutsu... he spent years perfecting the discipline and actually went years without bathing because he felt that bathing left his guard down for enough time to be attacked.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2003, 10:16 PM
On 2003-04-12 08:08, ShadowCaster wrote:
Ok I was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles today (yes that's right the best show to EVER be sjown on TV is back on again)ok well anyways, they told a brief Ninjitsu history, they said that the great Ninjitsu/Sword master MUSASHI made great kitanas and that he beelieved that the kitana truly had a soul, a Soul of Steel And that was the end of that, but this struck me and I satrted laughing, but then I realized (if you know anything about TMNT) The Shredder (Main Villain) his Real name is YamatoYoshi. I dunno bout Tsmukiri J-Sword, Asuka, Sange,Yasha, or Yamui, but they deffinately have something to do with the Masters of Ninjitsu, and not the made up, in game Masters I originally thought they were.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/sprite.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowCaster on 2003-04-12 08:10 ]</font>

Oh Jesus Christ! You leave me no choice but to reply to this post! LOL Musashi is both the name of a famous swordsmith & of a famous warrior. Not the same man mind you, but nonethless, a well-known name. Sorry bud but Im about to blow your theory to hell that TMNT (though I love it) does not connect w/PSO (though it does share SOME elements, I grantz...er...grant you LOL sorry). Anyway, the term soul of steel (as how you refer to it in TMNT) is HIGHLY metaphoric. The sword has a soul yes, but not what you think. The sword is the soul of the samurai, it is said (yes, this applies to other warriors, but is most often applied to samurai--do not dispute this, this is my life's work...I know what Im talking about). Anyway, the sword is the 'soul' of the samurai...incomplete without it. He & his blade are one: one consciousness, one mind, etc. & therefore one cannot "exist" without the other. I dont blame you for laughing at the "plug for PSO" as I admit, Id laugh too. My gripe (this is where I blow your theory to hell LOL)...is about Shredder. His name is not Yamato Yoshi. The name is Hamato & thats not him btw. Shredder's real name is Oroku Saki. Hamato Yoshi (depending on whether you go by the cartoon or the original graphic novels) is 1 of 2 ppl. In the cartoon, Hamato Yoshi is Oroku's shidoshi (teacher of the warrior ways of enlightenment) & is later betrayed by Saki. Yoshi eventually mutates into Splinter, master of the TMNT. In the original story, Hamato Yoshi was as he was but Saki killed him (this is somewhat explained in the first TMNT movie). Splinter (I dont know how he got the name, perhaps he took it, upon mutating) was Yoshi's pet rat that used to watch his master & learned the arts, upon imitation... *long deep breath* There, now that I got that out, I can go back to the ever-dragging-on Ruins (VHard) LOL http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

GuerillaPimp
Apr 13, 2003, 12:53 AM
It's "ninjutsu" with an "u" not "ninjitsu" with an "i".

And not all ninjas were assassins. Pick up one of Soke Hatsumi's or Shidoshi Hayes' books.

OdinTyler
Apr 15, 2003, 06:05 PM
On 2003-04-12 22:53, GuerillaPimp wrote:
It's "ninjutsu" with an "u" not "ninjitsu" with an "i".

And not all ninjas were assassins. Pick up one of Soke Hatsumi's or Shidoshi Hayes' books.

I will agree with you...to a point. Not all ninja were assassins, that is true. Technically none of them were assassins, but that is what they came to be known for. The "shadow walkers" were trained as spies, first & foremost but if necessary they did have the necessary training. With their skills quickly becoming legendary, they began to assassinate appointed targets (& thus, where their fame is derived). In addition, the word ninja did not exist in those times. Its a common mistake (I once made as well, I must admit) because the media has used it too often. The term ninja is modern (I believe it was as late as the early 20th century that it was coined). There were many expressions used, shadow walkers was one (I like that one) but the "official" term was shinobi (Yes, Sega would be proud...they get a free plug from me LOL). The word literally means stealth but was also used to describe them for they were "ones who stealth" as samurai were "ones who serve"...

Kujin
Apr 15, 2003, 06:38 PM
"two KAMUI's, two swords."

ever see X?

Droxitr
Apr 15, 2003, 07:35 PM
Ooh! A chance to make myself look nerdy!
< http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nerd.gif >
In Japanese ( http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smilejap.gif ) you don't have "two Ninjas" you have "two Ninja" 'cus there aren't any plural -s endings. So "Ninja" is the plural form of "Ninja". Same with the other Japanese nouns.
</ http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nerd.gif >
Ok, nothing to see here, show's over folks, move along.

Shinimori
Apr 16, 2003, 01:19 AM
To test a sword crafted by the master smith Muramasa, its owner held the blade's edge against the current in a stream. A leaf floated by; it touched the blade, and by the force of the current alone, it was sliced cleanly. The test was considered an ultimate trial of a sword's quality-until someone thought to try it with a sword made by Muramasa's master, the great Masamune. The Masamune sword was thrust into the stream, and another leaf swept toward it. Then, miraculously, the course of the leaf changed. It floated around the deadly edge, sailing on intact, as if the Masamune sword possessed a beneficent power beyond that for simply causing destruction.

The sword, or ken, along with the jewel and the mirror, is one of the three sacred treasures associated with Japan's mythic creation. The crafting of the ken, too, is veiled in a ritual of mysticism. The swordsmith, even today, works at his forge attired in the white garments of the Shinto priest. Accompanied by apprentices wielding long-handled hammers, he chants and bangs a rhythm on the anvil, as a bar of molten iron glows and is then smashed into fiery sparks. Quenched, refined, the metal is flattened and folded again and again to make thousands of laminations. The process takes place before a Shinto altar and other consecrated trappings adorning the smithy, and it includes steps both religious and technical known only to the smith. The product is a weapon to inspire a kind of worshipful awe, as did Masamune's blade. The ken exists in a dimension between the substantive and the fantastic.

The kanji for ken has a simple radical, two strokes representing the long blade of the sword, and another component that means "a combining." A combining of what? Perhaps of the fire and prayer and pounding of steel that produce the sword. A combination of its edge, hard and keen as a diamond razor, and its spine, sturdy and flexible to absorb the shock of cutting. The "combining" in the kanji could refer to the sword's incarnation as an object of beauty and as a brutal tool for cleaving a human neatly at any angle. Or could it be the combining of the reality and the legend that, like the test of the ken of Masamune and Muramasa, have long characterized the dual nature of the Japanese sword

I would have replied sooner but i was away this is the story of masamune that was his name...

Droxitr
Apr 16, 2003, 09:44 AM
Oh, here I go again with the nerd...

The prayers have a function besides whatever religious/spirit thing... it dates back to times when swordsmiths didn't have any devices to keep track of time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif ! I know! The chants were used to keep track of how long the sword had been in whatever state.

Don't believe me? It was done the world over.

</nerd>

Auracom
Apr 16, 2003, 02:42 PM
*thinks back to starcraft days*

YAMATO CANNON FIRE!

Battlecruiser: Take that stupid zergs... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

StryderPSO
Apr 16, 2003, 04:13 PM
glad to see someone else thinks ninja turtles are the most badasseseses thing evar

OdinTyler
Apr 16, 2003, 06:59 PM
On 2003-04-16 12:42, Auracom wrote:
*thinks back to starcraft days*

YAMATO CANNON FIRE!

Battlecruiser: Take that stupid zergs... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Starcraft...still a great game. Ive alternated between Terrans & Protoss (cant stand Zerg)...