PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, have to vent

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
This game's RNG is bullshit.

for those of you that remember this shit

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Rasheed_Marshall/pso20130521_190813_000_zps7e67e46c.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

and even worse, this shit

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Rasheed_Marshall/pso20130522_112838_000_zps7c5d70f2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

It happened again a few minutes ago. Id have a pic, but I had the setting to hide the UI during pictures on. 90/90/90 for quartz soul/power 2/mutation. 2/3 of them fucking fail, except this time it was quartz soul and mutation that bit the dust. This is why I never do ability 3. What makes it worse is that I don't affix often, but when I do, this shit happens.

Fuck this rigged RNG, seriously. If it isn't 100%, it's 50% (or in this case, if it's 90%, it's actually 33%). If it says 50%, it's actiually 12.5% since it takes 8 tries for mizer soul to get on my gunslash with 50-60% chances.

Friyn
Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM
Clustering Illusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_illusion)

Mystil
Oct 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
Some guy at another board I go to, explained why it's not possible to compute "real" percentages in a game or something like that and brought on the advent of RNG as a substitute.

It went waaaay over my head(MATH and SCRIPTING) :D but seems like RNG is here to stay.

supersonix9
Oct 24, 2013, 11:59 AM
90/90/90

chance is .9 x .9 x .9

real chance of success = 72.9%

where's the issue here? shit happens

Enforcer MKV
Oct 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
Eh, honestly...anything that's not 100%, remove the last zero, anything that doesn't end in zero? Put a decimal point between the two numbers. xD

The real issue here is that the RNG threw the concept of consistency out the window. Honestly I try to avoid the systems as much as I can. A lot of the times the effort and funds don't really feel justified when you look at the 'gains.'

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
90/90/90

chance is .9 x .9 x .9

real chance of success = 72.9%

where's the issue here? shit happens

Those are the chances of full sucess.

Now find the chances of double failure.

Dnd
Oct 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
I really have nothing to say apart from welcome to pso2, i hope you enjoy your stay.

I've known people to fail double 95%'s, recently I myself have been hit with a shocking 3/33 success rate putting on 60% souls to units and a weapon (total cost, almost 15million meseta) - fail streaks happen, just deal with it and if possible, buy your stuff pre-affixed, its probably more expensive but its much less hassle

1/100 isn't uncommon at all in the grand scheme of things, everyone who affixes even semi often gets hit by it sooner or later (at least you didnt drop 4 million in one single attempt when it happened to you)

supersonix9
Oct 24, 2013, 12:09 PM
Those are the chances of full sucess.

Now find the chances of double failure.

I only care if all of my affixes work

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 12:15 PM
I only care if all of my affixes work

Just saying the chance of that happening to me is much smaller than ~27%

pkemr4
Oct 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
welcome to RNG online 2

gigawuts
Oct 24, 2013, 12:34 PM
Just saying the chance of that happening to me is much smaller than ~27%

The chance of something happening is 100%.

Something happened.

Game works as intended.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
The chance of something happening is 100%.

Something happened.

Game works as intended.

That's true, but I do believe the %s displayed are lies if they aren't 100%.

gigawuts
Oct 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
I have a feeling rarity or affix cost plays into the success rate on an item. I really wouldn't be surprised at all.

Anyway, the odds of those two failing are fairly low, but the odds of any two failing are considerably higher.

EvilMag
Oct 24, 2013, 12:52 PM
I have a feeling rarity or affix cost plays into the success rate on an item. I really wouldn't be surprised at all.

Anyway, the odds of those two failing are fairly low, but the odds of any two failing are considerably higher.
Something on topic about this but regarding grinding.

I've noticed higher end 10*s are lot bitcher to grind.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 12:55 PM

Well using the advertised chances of 90% success x3, each individual chance of failure is 10%.

Unless my math is wrong, the odds of two out of three 10% events happening is apparently 1% :wacko:.

Don't quote me on this since calculating probability was the one thing in any kind of math that I'm shaky with despite it being a middle school subject, but I know the chance of 2/3 of the 10% events happening should be lower than 10 percent. To see it as often as I do may qualify as a miracle (or the fact the numbers advertised are lies which no one can really disprove outside of making 100% affix chances).

Evangelion X.XX
Oct 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
For me, affixing 3-Slot weapons/armors isn't so bad. It's when I'm dealing with 4-Slot and up that's total B.S. Millions upon millions of meseta burned to no avail.

But on a different note, some people say otherwise but I swear to God that the higher the level of potential(s) you've unlocked on your weapon, the more ludicrously difficult it becomes to grind your weapon. I have ground many weapons and this always seems to be the case for me.

Arkanoid
Oct 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Actually it should be like this for 2 out of 3 things to fail at 90% chance of success and 10% chance of failure:

(.9)(.1)(.1) + (.1)(.9)(.1) + (.1)(.1)(.9) = .027

So a 2.7% chance which is pretty sweet bro ;) but shit happens.

But yeah I'm sure you weren't really intending for any one of those to fail, so 72.9% chance of a full 3 affix to work is the important number here and it's not such a great chance considering what it takes to get to that point and the cost to get back there if it fails.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Actually it should be like this for 2 out of 3 things to fail at 90% chance of success and 10% chance of failure:

(.9)(.1)(.1) + (.1)(.9)(.1) + (.1)(.1)(.9) = .027

So a 2.7% chance which is pretty sweet bro ;) but shit happens.

But yeah I'm sure you weren't really intending for any one of those to fail, so 72.9% chance of a full 3 affix to work is the important number here and it's not such a great chance considering what it takes to get to that point and the cost to get back there if it fails.

Thanks. I wouldn't be so peeved if any one thing failed.

It's the fact that the advertised 2.7% chance 2 things would fail, happened, twice, within 20 affixes of each other.

It's more likely sega's program lowers any ability affix chance that isn't 100%. Not really a conspiracy when they can do it, get away with it, and 90% fail fairly consistently for me

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Rasheed_Marshall/pso20130801_170309_000_zpsc17c8f6c.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Like I said: never doing ability 3 outside of a 10% affix boost week. Not going to burn a 30% booster to have a 50/50 chance of failing an advertised 90%. Not to mention fodder prices.

gigawuts
Oct 24, 2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah, bias aside the probability of some of the streaks I've seen are incredibly small. That's the main reason I think they adjust the probability of failure on higher level units, or maybe the rates change over time like a hidden photon fortune. The game should not be streaking this much. I don't grind or affix enough to see so many obscene streaks.

And it's not like I'm whining about failures, either. I've had a 10* grind with 0 failures with no boosters or protects or anything used. Just 30 grinders. I've found that it's more likely for me to streak than it is to not.

Arkanoid
Oct 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah, bias aside the probability of some of the streaks I've seen are incredibly small. That's the main reason I think they adjust the probability of failure on higher level units, or maybe the rates change over time like a hidden photon fortune. The game should not be streaking this much. I don't grind or affix enough to see so many obscene streaks.

And it's not like I'm whining about failures, either. I've had a 10* grind with 0 failures with no boosters or protects or anything used. Just 30 grinders. I've found that it's more likely for me to streak than it is to not.

Actually that is because of all the streaking you do with your character. I never knew a nakey male cast looked like that.

gigawuts
Oct 24, 2013, 01:57 PM
Hey now, when the parts are at the drycleaners I haven't got anything else to wear!