PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Gangbanging isn't such a good idea?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 12, 2003, 10:38 AM
When I do challenge mode in JP teams, the hunters usually fight monsters one-on-one, instead of multiple people ganging up on the same monster. When 1-2 more of the players are americans, they usually piss off the JP players by gangbanging monsters. I've even had a JP player try to explain in engrish that it's best to fight monsters solo.

It seems that either monsters HP increases, or players cancel out each other's hits, when multiple people attack the same monster.

Is this a widely known thing, or what? :3 Is there a barubary-ish explanation for what's going on? =>.>=

IceBlink
Apr 12, 2003, 10:46 AM
Well, I suppose from one point of view, if a player is slightly lagging, they could hit the enemy into your own pathway (with hard attacks) so your own will miss, and they're free to attack...

... or it could be EXP related (doubt it)...

... Hmmm. I wonder why?

Captain_Anarchy
Apr 12, 2003, 11:12 AM
well also it could be realted to the number of monsters in the room, say you are in challenge and there are 4 people doing it, and say there are 4 monsters in the room, if you all each take one they will all be occupied and not be hitting anyone, but if you all attack one that leaves the other 3 monsters to be hitting ou and forcing you to use ur precious mates

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 12, 2003, 11:14 AM
It takes 2 FOnewearl zonde to kill the flying monsters in stage 5-6. If a hunter hits a monster after my first zonde, the second zonde won't kill the monster =>.>=

Reenee
Apr 12, 2003, 11:19 AM
I think it's the "Damage Cancel" that's going on.

Simply put, online, if there is a lot of damage going on to the enemy, the game cancels out some hits going on. Like, say, having 4 players using Daggers against a Bartle. The Damage Cancel usually happens when there's big damage and/or fast weapons being inflicted on the enemy.

And, no, the JP users aren't crazy. We appreciate their PSO superiority. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

rena-ko
Apr 12, 2003, 11:50 AM
yeah, noticed that too - kinda waste of tp - 2 fonewearls go in c4 after the same pal shark (weak to barta) - me alone: 2 barta -> killed. when someone interfers it wont die after the second one. well. i usually let the hunter finish it then.

actually i'd also like to go one on one sometimes but then again, its not as risky to go onto one enemy in 2-player-teams...

either its cancelling out some of the hits or the HP does increase according on how many players are attacking the enemy. i think its the later, because when you try the barta example on a pal shark and a ranger does a single low damage hit, you still have to cast 3 instead of 2 barta as a fonewearl.

recent joke was "let 1 hunter do the boss (i.e. vol opt), the rest evades and waits" ^-^;

VulpesMundi
Apr 12, 2003, 05:45 PM
Damage is cancelling each other out. This happened back on the DC, but not quite as bad as it does on the GC version. Worst case scenario I've seen a Sinow Beat, surrounded by four players, getting pummelled and it was still alive almost a minute later when it should have technically been dead in about five seconds. Scary stuff.

Spells such as Resta can be cancelled out, too. Many times I've healed someone who was also taking a hit and their HP would wind up going down instead of up. A level 150+ FOnewearl with level 30 Resta can usually heal most, if not all, of a character's HP, especially when the other characters are a lower level.

Interestingly enough, damage cancel only occurs online and in any play mode. Offline is smooth sailing and much easier to play without this issue. I'm guessing the PSO servers seem to have some weird issue with colliding information and they just ignore it or something. I'm not too keen on the transmitting of data packets. I'd be willing to wager, however, that the reason it happens more often in the GC version is because of the higher content of broadband connections. Narrowband and broadband most definately conflict with each other, since their method of communication is a bit different. I'd also be willing to wager that the X-Box version will probably not see this come up as much since all the connections will be broadband.

Malkavian
Apr 13, 2003, 07:57 AM
And weel even without that glitch it would be better to go solo on enemies. If one has enough power to kill it is dumb 2 or more people lose the time for the same. gangabging is only good in dangerous enemies like sinows, garanz, nanodragons, chaos sorcerers, guil sharks in c2 maybe, because it stops them and is safer.

I can't figure out how works that glitch but I know that timing well the combos, 2 players against 1 enemy kill it faster. Test with belras for example. If the combos don't hit at same time i think the total is higher than if only 1 was attacking but surely theres some cancelled damage too.

Good examples are dubchichs and chaos sorcerers too, when you end the combo and one of those is still alive, if a player hits them after your 3rd hit it will kill them, so surely the damage is added and not cancelled.

Ranger_Larry
Apr 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Funny I noticed this too but just assumed the game raised HP for monsters when there are more players. It gets to the point where common monsters have as much HP as bosses!

saffaya
Apr 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
I read all the posts with (o_O) eyes.
I really wonder if it's a bug or a feature.
Fighting by concentrating the team's combat power on one or 2 enemies at a time seemed to me the spirit of challenge mode. Instead of everyone battling one's own monster in one's private corner.
What do challenge addicts people from DC gone to GC think of this new way of doing challenge ?

VulpesMundi
Apr 13, 2003, 05:14 PM
I was a TA player back on the DC so I'm used to fighting enemies solo. It only really bothers me against bosses, since it can really extend the batte. This is one of the biggest reasons why it's important to spread out on bosses that have multiple targets. The Dragon lying down, for example: two people should cover the head, one on the left leg, and one on the right leg. Or if one of the players is a force, the force should aim spells at the torso or a wing while the others cover the head, left leg, and right leg each. In that way they're all hitting different locations and minimizing cancelled damage.