PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* need help...

PSO_Komodo
Apr 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
I've got an external USB modem, its BT and the BBA. Ummm... the modem has a USB cable and the phone one, nothing else. I know this sounds dumb but... What goes where? lol.

-Eden-
Apr 12, 2003, 03:15 PM
Since the GC only connects with a cat-5 cable (standard ethernet cable) your going to need a new modem. :/ Odd though, I've never seen a broadband modem using just a USB.

PSO_Komodo
Apr 12, 2003, 03:31 PM
Know where I could get a cheap one? which I could use for pso.

Rich_T
Apr 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
I've got an external USB modem, its Freeserve, but there almost the same as the BT ones, and the Gamecube BBA. the modem has a USB cable and the phone one, nothing else, and the Gamecube BBA has an ethernet conection.
Fortunatly this is not a problem, as i have a spare unused ethernet conection ( NIC/lan/ethernet card) on my P.C, all ive done to get my GC online with a USB modem is to get a CROSSOVER RJ45 cat5 ethernet cable going from the gamecube BBA into the back of the P.C.
On the P.C ( win xp) i have internet conection sharing enabaled to this device ( Start> network conections> veiw all conections> create a new conection )
And on the gamecube all ive done is select provider option in the network set up section, and automaticly obtain IP, then all the rest is left at default
It conects perfectly, although it does sometimes drop the conection ( its no way near as basd as it was on DC over the 33.6k modem)

Hint- Switch off the screensaver, and disable the power saving functions on your P.C, or you will get DCd each time they kick in.

To connect to PSO switch on your P.C and connect to the internet
Switch on your gamecube and select online game.
(you may need to turn your firewall down - if you have one)

this is what i use, its an alcatel USB broadband modem http://www.ww.co.th/Alcatel-ADSL-Modem.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2003-04-12 13:38 ]</font>

PSO_Komodo
Apr 12, 2003, 03:43 PM
Wow thats exactly what I needed. I've got the exact same modem, now I know it works I'll do that. Thanks a bunch for the help both of you and thanks SnAPPUrU if your reading.

Rich_T
Apr 12, 2003, 03:49 PM
the big problem i had was getting hold of a crossover cable, although after looking through maplins i found one, and used a coupler to join two together, allthough if your going to join two rj45 network leds, amke sure you use a cat5e coupler,as a cheaper one doesnt work.

PSO_Komodo
Apr 12, 2003, 04:03 PM
I found one at my usual game supplier.

CROSSOVER NETWORK LEAD ( 5 METRE STP CAT 5). For direct connection of computer to computer, games console to games console or interconnection between hubs, switches and routers. Superior quality shielded version.

Is that the right one?

Tavia
Apr 13, 2003, 12:49 AM
On 2003-04-12 14:03, PSO_Komodo wrote:
I found one at my usual game supplier.

CROSSOVER NETWORK LEAD ( 5 METRE STP CAT 5). For direct connection of computer to computer, games console to games console or interconnection between hubs, switches and routers. Superior quality shielded version.

Is that the right one?

Yep, although, what are they charging for it? You can get them on eBay for obsurdly cheap prices.

PSO_Komodo
Apr 13, 2003, 09:07 AM
Their chraging 10 pound for it, I know some of the ebay ones are cheaper but I've got more chance of getting on in time for the Easter Eggs this way.

GtSaiyaMan
Apr 20, 2003, 01:30 AM
where did u get your signature from?