PDA

View Full Version : Flame no more!

gideon
Mar 7, 2001, 12:53 PM
Enough with the flames. Flaming someone simply for a grammatical error will not be tolerated and posts as such will be changed.

While trying to use something as trivial as spelling/grammar to 'point' out someones 'ignorance', you only seek to display your own.

What's the purpose of flaming someone anyway? Does someones minor violation of your ideaology give you apt reason to cast down fire and brimstone on them?

The PSO World forums were meant to be a place for the community to get together to relay game related material and attempt to build a stronger community. They were not intended, nor will be used to insult or degrade someone simply because they dont look at things the same way you do. If you feel someone is wrong, be human about disagreeing with them. The comfort of your chair and beautiful anonymity of a PC isn't a license to disregard basic respect. The virtual world is not a personnal stomping ground to release all the pent up frustration from the real world. It's not a place to unload on someone everything you wished you could say to everyone before in your entire life. To say that is to say it isnt a valid form of reality.

With this thread all posts lacking any real substance, containing meaningless flames will be removed or edited. This will be left up to the moderators of each forum to regulate.

-Gideon.
[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: gideon on 2001-03-07 09:58 ]</font>

MilkManX
Mar 7, 2001, 01:09 PM
Last thing I want is for this forum to start looking like the cs forums..ugghhhh.

Sciler
Mar 7, 2001, 01:34 PM
<font face=times new roman color=red>I think I missed something? But I agree, flaming bad! <center>

Neojin
Mar 7, 2001, 01:44 PM
I commend you and the other Mods on this stance. Its not an easy task, and you all should deserve thanks for keeping PSO World going in a positive direction.

/applause

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Danger_Girl
Mar 7, 2001, 02:21 PM
Yay Gideon! I hole heartedly agree. I'm wish some of these flamers mothers told them if they have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. It seemed to me when I started reading the posts last evening, lots of people were in a cranky mood. Maybe that was in response to segas anti-duping mojo, but it kind of freaked me out. Flames are not what I've come to expect here on these boards.

BigP
Mar 7, 2001, 02:49 PM
Well said everyone!

BigP
Mar 7, 2001, 02:53 PM
Well said everyone!

Manifest
Mar 7, 2001, 03:08 PM
I totally agree. especially when a member of the junior staff has been doing it as well. That sets a wonderful example.

Xria
Mar 7, 2001, 03:32 PM
My stomach hurts. I'm going to go take a crap.

Ambrai
Mar 7, 2001, 03:52 PM
On 2001-03-07 12:08, Manifest wrote:
I totally agree. especially when a member of the junior staff has been doing it as well. That sets a wonderful example.

Manifest, what do you mean by this? The enforcement of the non-flame policy or flaming itself?

Socrates
Mar 7, 2001, 04:10 PM
While I agree that flaming is unceccesary, I don't think it is too much to ask that people be a little more careful when posting things.

The internet, at it's heart, is a text-based medium. You are not judged by your appearance, but by your ideas and the way you prevent them. I do not feel it is too much to ask people to at least use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when posting.

I'm not taking about an occasional typo or mistake here and there -- we are all human (even the 'casts http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif) and mistakes happen (there are probably one or two in this post, for that matter). But every now and then you come across a person who obviously just doesn't care.

And that's just rude. Not only does it make it harder for people to follow your text, it's also self-damaging, since blatantly-poor posts give the impression that the author doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, or that he has no comprehension of how netiquette and the internet operates. Either way, it won't help your case or garner lots of productive replies.

So while asking people to not flame these apparent semi-literates is all well and good, I don't think it to be all that innapropriate to ask that these folks take a moment or two to review their own posts before hitting the submit button. If we are competent enough to figure out how to post things on a website forum, we're competent enough to use something at least resembling proper written english.

Manifest
Mar 7, 2001, 04:33 PM
On 2001-03-07 12:52, Ambrai wrote:
do you mean by this? The enforcement of the non-flame policy or flaming itself?[addsig]

flaming itself. I can dig up a link if you would like.

Ambrai
Mar 7, 2001, 05:04 PM
If you can and PM it to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Drake
Mar 7, 2001, 05:54 PM
Well said, Socrates! I agree completely.

Ratsmack
Mar 7, 2001, 06:02 PM
I agree, trying to prove someone's stupidity makes you look immature. Trying to prove someone wrong is not. Then again, consider for a second the long-ago post of gamer88, where he critized every single person that complains about cheating viciously. Should he not be flamed for that? HE flamed, therefore, he recieves flames. Besides, I doubt that unless there is harsh censorship used will flaming be completely stopped. I only flame when flamed.

Seutekh
Mar 7, 2001, 09:37 PM
You assmonkeys!!! What stupidity is this???

Not a one of you spelled a damn thing properly, and your butchery of the English language is unforgiveable!

IF one moves beyond that, you'd notice the pathetic nature of your arguments!!!

"Does someones minor violation of your ideaology give you apt reason to cast down fire and brimstone on them?"

YES!!! Just as much as the fact that I am a hideously malformed, ignorant redneck gives me the right to express my own opinions in a horribly intollerable fashion, and expect everyone to accept them as the God's Honest Truth. This is the USA, and I can {expletive} well say whatever the {expletive} I want!!! If you don't like it, you can {expletive} my {expletive}!

***Before writing me many nasty letters: Please note the winkey face on the post, and take every bit of it as the humor it was intended to be.***

Just a little something for the few of you who are reading this post and wondering what's so bad about flaming... Yes, you do sound like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Aberu
Mar 7, 2001, 09:58 PM
i whole heartedly agree with all the supporters of Gideon's post. I have been the victim of many a flame and it was never warranted. I must say two things. Flaming only hurts others and makes you look less intelligent ("Cussing is for the conversational cripple" as my Algebra teacher tells me). And don fight fire with fire, if you flame back you will go down to there level (in response to what ratsmack said). When i am flamed i calmly address the issue, sure i am hurt but i dont take it out on them, i just blame their parents silently to myself and respond intelligently, hence making them look even more stupid.

KLin-304
Mar 8, 2001, 01:36 AM
Maybe this is why most foreigners don't like playing with Americans, because a lot of us are very rude and ignorant of other people's feelings. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

KLin-304
Mar 8, 2001, 01:38 AM
.... I double posted on accident, waugh!

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: KLin-304 on 2001-03-07 22:39 ]</font>

Xria
Mar 8, 2001, 01:46 AM
Whats u's be talkin bout? Man, dere be no reason to be trippin on bad gramer. What a man's gotta say dat man's gotta say. It dont' be matterin if he don't no goodd enlish. Let da man get his shit off a his chest.

You be knowin what I be sayin?

Probably not. I'll just put it in plain english and say fuck you all.

---------------------------
Guns don't kill people, I kill people.

Stixxx
Mar 9, 2001, 06:24 AM
as long as we "all" keep one thing in mind... Flaming will never happen...

attack issues... not people...

*insight provided by the department for better discussions, rants and raves*

heheh and i cant type... hehehehe